Start by marking “The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged” as Want to Read:
The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged

The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  28,763 ratings  ·  320 reviews
A feast for lovers of American literature-the work of our greatest poet, redesigned and relaunched for a new generation of readers

No poet is more emblematically American than Robert Frost. From "The Road Not Taken" to "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening," he refined and even defined our sense of what poetry is and what it can do. T. S. Eliot judged him "the most eminent,
Paperback, 2nd Revised Edition, 640 pages
Published April 1st 2002 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1930)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Books You Can't Live Without
96th out of 1,249 books — 1,150 voters
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréSmilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegSnow by Orhan PamukSnow Crash by Neal Stephenson
Frosty Book Titles
14th out of 176 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Rike Jokanan
Let me say that he is one of poets who have waken me up from my long sleep in "comfortable bed of uniformity and stagnancy". I used to think that being among the crowd was a safe way to live. Being uniform was my "template". In fact, now I learn that being myself -- that might be being different from you all -- is the safest mode anytime anywhere. And, I am sure that I won't be sorry for being uniquely ordinary as I am.

Of course "The Road Not taken" is still a uniform favorite os mine since most
Grey853
Robert Frost wrote some stunning and thought provoking poems. Almost everyone has heard of "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening" or "The Road Not Taken", but one of my all time favorites is "Desert Places". The last verse:

"They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars--on stars where no human race is.
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places."

Jody
Aug 23, 2007 Jody rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poetry lovers
Shelves: favorites, poetry
I think it's this version I have an old copy of this book. My grandma gave it to me for Christmas many years ago. I love Robert Frost. He's my first favorite poet and my favorite poem will always be The Road Not Taken. "And I, I took the road less traveled by and that has made all the difference." RF is my reason for loving words I think.
LJ
I've loved Frost's poems for years. "Birches," "A Road Not Taken," a version of which I've sung, "Time to Talk," are just a few of my favorites.
Nick
He expertly articulates and captures those feelings inspired in us as children.
Wonderment and Beauty, Innocence, and Joyfulness, but also and equally, Loneliness Isolation and Desperation. Wisdom and Naivety.

Reading Frost is like traveling across New England With two people. The First incarnation a small enthusiastic and expressive child awe struck by the simple beauty of the landscape and changing seasons as he passes them by yearning to run ahead and spy what lay beyond the next bend.

The Seco
Amy
Robert Frost has the most beautiful poetry! My dad used to read to me from this book every night before bed and it has been a fovorite ever since. When I was little my favorite one was The pasture. Now I love "Reluctance"

OUT through the fields and the woods
And over the walls I have wended;
I have climbed the hills of view
And looked at the world, and descended;
I have come by the highway home, 5
And lo, it is ended.

The leaves are all dead on the ground,
Save those that the oak is keeping
Elizabeth
Oh, if there were only the words to express how I feel about Frost. There aren't the right words nor near enough. However, I do most expressively enjoy reading his poems. They buoy me.

I am usually a lover of short poems, yet, even in his longer poems a line or two will reverberate.

Most will recommend "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening", "The Road Not Taken" or "Nothing Gold Can Stay". There are reasons why they would recommend these poems, as they have merit. Yet, these are not the only poem
Jon Corelis
A fundamental poetry book

There's not much that needs to be said about the poetry of Robert Frost, except that, unlike most things in life, it's as good as it's supposed to be. If you are just getting into poetry, Frost is especially to be recommended: many readers will find his poems more immediately accessible than those of many modern poets. The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged edited by Edward Connery Lathem is the standard collection, and I think it should
Charles
My November Guest

My Sorrow, when she's here with me,
Thinks these dark days of autumn rain
Are beautiful as days can be;
She loves the bare, the withered tree;
She walks the sodden pasture lane.

Her pleasure will not let me stay.
She talks and I am fain to list:
She's glad the birds are gone away,
She's glad her simple worsted grey
Is silver now with clinging mist.

The desolate, deserted trees,
The faded earth, the heavy sky,
The beauties she so truly sees,
She thinks I have no eye for these,
And vexes me for
Cheryl
This edition, 516 pp of poems, too complete for my taste. The early 'ballads' were boring, to me. I know, if an oeuvre is to be edited, every editor, scholar, and reader will disagree about what to include and cull. But, seriously, Frost wrote a lot of forgettable stuff.

Here are some of the bits I deem keepable:

From 'A Line-Storm Song'
Come over the hills and far with me,
And be my love in the rain.

From 'The Black Cottage'
Strange how such innocence gets its own way.
I shouldn't be surprised if in
Jan-Maat
I was intrigued to learn that Frost and Edward Thomas had met and spent time together in England before the first world war following on from a review of some of Frost's poetry by Thomas. I feel both that in some way that the two of these people are now coming together in my understanding is a sign both of the deficiencies in my education and that luckily there is ever more to discover about the world. I believe "The Road not taken" was inspired by some of the walks the two went on and that Fros ...more
Timothy Muller
It may seem strange to allot only four stars to such a great poet. However, for me, there are (more or less) two Frosts. Actually, there are three Frosts, but the third is not a very important consideration.

To take the third first, this is the Frost of lighter, often satirical poetry, as in, for example “A Case for Jefferson.” This kind of verse is not really Frost’s strong suit and I think his reputation might rest a little higher had he not published it. However, virtually all poets publish ma
nanto
Buku ini layak diburu karena puisi yang ditulisnya menarik sekali buat saya. Ditulis untuk dibacakan di depan peserta upacaya pelantikan Presiden John F. Kennedy tahun 1961.

Saya mengutip di sini, di bulan Desember ini, bulan sebelum bulan Januari. Ketika Kennedy dilantik, ia adalah salah satu Presiden AS yang memberikan terobosan dengan penggunaan media massa sebagai bagian utuh dari kampanye kepresidenannya. Tahun depan, Obama merupakan presiden Amerika yang juga menawarkan cara baru dalam berk
Cara
While striking, unique, scattered with profound verse, I just couldn't jive with you Mr. Frost. I flipped through this book, because honestly I'm not going to read 600 pages of random Robert Frost. So, I started by just checking out all the classic Frost poems from: "The Road Not Taken", "Fire and Ice", "Dust of Snow", to "Birches". They are pretty. I actually enjoyed a few of them, thought they were unique and beautiful, especially, "Death of a Hired Man" and "A Considerable Speck".

I learned t
Madeline
I liked Robert Frost a lot more when I thought he was just writing about farms, and taking nice walks, and stopping in various wooded areas on nights of inclement weather.

After three class discussions of his poems, I am dismayed to learn that it's all a hell of a lot more complicated than that. Dammit.

But he's nice when I don't have to worry about the deep philosophical meaning of birches and can just enjoy the nice comfortable feeling his poems give me. Here, have a random excerpt.

From "Birch
Judy
A wonderful collection of Robert Frost's poetry and 2 plays. In hindsight, I wish I would have kept a running list of the poems I loved the most. Of course,The Road Not Taken would be right up there among the best. One of his later poems I enjoyed was The Milky Way is a Cowpath. I love Frost's sense of humor; he never seems to take himself (or anything) too seriously compared to some poets. He never seems to be overwrought about any subject which makes his work easier to relax with. I prefer his ...more
Carol
Whose woods these are...I think I know,
His house is in the village though
He will not mind me stopping here to watch
his woods fill up with snow
my little horse must think it queer
to stop without a farmhouse near
between the woods and frozen lake
the darkest evening of the year. When I had to memorize Frost in High School, little did I know how thankful I would be to carry these words
with me wherever I go. Hopefully, my students feel the same way after
they labored to memorize the poems I assigned.
If
Kent
Perhaps I am just not a poetry guy. I enjoyed very few of this collection. I liked only slightly more than that, and actually understood only a few more than that number. The most understood poems, and seemingly the very few that communicated purpose and meaning to me, happen to include the three or four that other reviewers list as their favorites, and I suppose they were mine also. Beyond those, Frost's work leaves me wondering why all the fuss. My apologies to the throng of "Frost Lovers" eve ...more
Krishna Kumar
Completed reading all the poems of Robert Frost... I could pick not more than 10 poems as worth reading. But those 10 are worth remembering too.... My top three are, 'The road not taken;, 'Stopping by woods in a snowy evening' and 'Asking for roses' ..
The rest I liked are...

Acquainted with the night...
Flower Gathering...
Going for water...
God's garden...

Other than these I find the rest other 100 poems I read to be a just an art of mending words but not a magic of moulding emotions and imaginat
Sara
always a favorite. kinda funny how it came to be a family favorite.....he was a college prof at Amherst College in Mass when my grandpa was in school and well, he taught my grandfather...how many people can say that?
Teressa
Meh. While Frost has some legendary and exquisite pieces of poetry, overall his work is redundant and boring. An entire book of his poems, all focusing on the same basic plot lines, is incentive for nice, long nap.
John
Of course, this book has all the old favorites, all the great masterpieces. But one of my favorite poems is the relatively obscure "An Old Man's Winter Night." That poem amazes me every time I read it...
Kris Spisak
I found out recently that my yet-to-be-born son can hear the world around him. What a better introduction to poetry, rhythm, nature, and language than Robert Frost. I love this collection.
Megan
(Poetry) I love Robert Frost's poems. I haven't read all of them, but my favorite one to read is "The Road Not Taken". This is one of the first poems that I was introduced to and it helped spark my interest in poetry.

My favorite part of "The Road Not Taken" is:

"Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back"

It is a good reminder to not worry about the choices you make because life has a way of working itself out.

I would use Robert Fr
Lafcadio
Aug 12, 2007 Lafcadio rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Newt
Incredible index by title and first line. I always find something new and exciting in this book every time I open it.
Jared Little
Robert Frost is one of the iconic American poets. His poems have been seen in classrooms for generations, and will continue to do so for years to come. I have fond memories of reading his "A Road Less Traveled" in high school. It is a very inspirational poem that can be dissected for its meaning.

I could see a 5th or 6th grade class benefiting from studying poetry from Robert Frost, even if it was just an introductory poem. I would love to teach his poems as a way for students to appreciate the b
Nihanth
I have grown up reading Robert Frost's poetry, his work is inspiring and grants me an escape everytime I read his poetry. "The road not taken" and "the desert places" are my personal favorites. These poetries never get old, and everytime I read the interpretation changes. 'such is life, such is poetry'. below is the first verse from "Road not taken"

"TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To wh
Steven
The appropriately named Mr. Frost can be a chilly read at times, a little too obscurely poetic for my own tastes, but there were enough stunners with beautiful imagery to compensate and make this entirely worthwhile. He was particularly adept at expressing the beauty and wonder of nature, and seemed to notice the most minute details of seasons, tundra, flora, and fauna, as well as the rituals of animals and insects. He sometimes lost me when he commented on politics or historical events in ways ...more
Megan Anderson
I love the few Robert Frost Poems I had read, so I felt like I hit the thrifting jackpot when I found the complete works.

Most of Frost’s poems center around nature, even the ones focusing on relationships are in a clear romantic nature setting, but I didn’t know that Frost was so good at capturing human interactions. I’ve only been exposed to his short poems, so I was surprised to find many long poems that included dialogue. I still tend to like the short ones better. I’m excited to see how his
Red
What an amazing poet! He dances with the words as he plays with your imagination. Frost's messages are sent simply yet powerfully in his ever-so-picturesque poems.

A Patch of Old Snow by Robert Frost

There's a patch of old snow in a corner
That I should have guessed
Was a blow-away paper the rain
Had brought to rest.

It is speckled with grime as if
Small print overspread it,
The news of a day I've forgotten --
If I ever read it.

Such a simple, yet graceful and powerful poem. A misplaced written informati
Nothing Gold Can Stay??? 1 7 Nov 09, 2014 09:48PM
Poetry about critical moments 1 11 May 19, 2014 12:07PM
Songs inspired by literature 1 13 Jan 11, 2014 12:51AM
  • Complete Poems, 1904-1962
  • Collected Poems
  • The Complete Poems, 1927-1979
  • The Complete Poems
  • Poetry (Norton Critical Editions)
  • Collected Poems, 1909-1962
  • Collected Poems
  • Complete Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • One Hundred and One Famous Poems: With a Prose Supplement
  • The Complete Poetry and Prose
  • Selected Poems
Flinty, moody, plainspoken and deep, Robert Frost was one of America's most popular 20th-century poets. Frost was farming in Derry, New Hampshire when, at the age of 38, he sold the farm, uprooted his family and moved to England, where he devoted himself to his poetry. His first two books of verse, A Boy's Will (1913) and North of Boston (1914), were immediate successes. In 1915 he returned to the ...more
More about Robert Frost...
The Road Not Taken and Other Poems Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening Collected Poems, Prose, and Plays Selected Poems Robert Frost's Poems

“They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars—on stars where no human race is.
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.”
859 likes
“I would not come in.
I meant not even if asked,
And I hadn't been.”