Start by marking “How I Became a Writer and Oggie Learned to Drive” as Want to Read:
How I Became a Writer and Oggie Learned to Drive

How I Became a Writer and Oggie Learned to Drive

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In this fast-paced, fun filled adventure, Archie and Oggie must use their determination and courage to stay away from the Night Riders and the trouble they bring.
Published April 15th 2002 by Philomel (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about How I Became a Writer and Oggie Learned to Drive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Became a Writer and Oggie Learned to Drive

Dolores
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish. The author deftly weaves the two story lines together, provides oodles of tips and inspiration for aspiring writers, and seems to have an illuminated window into the mind of a child.

The reason I didn't give this book 5-stars is because I can't figure out who I would recommend it to.

Children 8 - 12 ? several things here too mature for that age group. Their parents are barely separated when dad moves his girlfriend in and then she get pregnant,...more
Miriam
Found this on Netgalley.

Archie and Oogie shuttle between their divorcing parents' homes and Archie uses his storytelling gifts to sooth Oogie and reinterpret their sometimes frightening, chaotic lives to make them tolerable. There's a real sense of how children who are forced to deal with the problems their adults create can devise coping mechanisms to rise above their circumstances.

I should say that the boys' parents are not actually neglectful--they are loving (in their own ways) and try to...more
Michael M.
My mom was the one who found this book for me because she knows I like to write and she thought I would like it, which I did. I could compare to the main charcter because that made it a lot more fun to read. At times, when the main character was telling what he liked about writing it was almost like we were comparing thoughts. The realistic and heartfelt story was adventurous, imaginative, and at some times exciting. It was some of the best realistic fiction I've ever read.
Bill
If you have read the blurb about this and thinking, ‘Not another book
about kids cycling between divorced parents! I’ve read a hundred of those!’, then forget the blurb – hey It’s blurb! And it doesn’t give you a clue about just how cool this book is.

Mole People? A 6 year old learning to drive? Yup, it’s all true or true enough, and this is one great book – and a lot of fun, too!
Neill Smith
Archie is an aspiring writer who tells stories to Oggie, his younger brother. Then Oggie is mugged and Archie has to join a local gang to get his brother’s wallet back. With the help of Raven Archie struggles to do what is right while Oggie tries to take matters into his own hands.
Sylvia
Two brothers of divorcing parents. Must cope with awful reality. One boy writes a story that's parallel to their world of loss, uprootedness, exposure to street gangs, etc. The story is about the Mysterious Mole people.
Christine
Our boys, ages 5 & 10, really related to this book more than any I've ever read them. They begged for more every night until I was reading 3-4 chapters a night. The characters made a real connection with the boys.
Drew
A good story with funny parts. Its suspense was very good and I couldn't wait to turn the page. I think it is a great story.
Alison
This book is great.It was a really exciting adventure
Msgaskin
Rachel
Rachel added it
Mar 21, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Malerie
Malerie marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
زكرياء
زكرياء marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Lila
Lila marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
Kelsey
Kelsey added it
Jun 09, 2013
Mrs. Bibb
Mrs. Bibb marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
Black Duck Afternoon of the Elves The Art of Keeping Cool Highway Cats The Lost Flower Children