Start by marking “The Extreme Searcher's Internet Handbook: A Guide for the Serious Searcher” as Want to Read:
The Extreme Searcher's Internet Handbook: A Guide for the Serious Searcher

The Extreme Searcher's Internet Handbook: A Guide for the Serious Searcher

An essential guide for anyone who conducts research on the Internet—including librarians, teachers, students, business professionals, and writers—this fully revisedhandbook details what users must know to take full advantage of Internet search tools and resources. From emerging search tools Ask.com and Windows Live to standbys Googleand Yahoo!,the major search engines and ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Information Today, Inc. (first published February 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Extreme Searcher's Internet Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Extreme Searcher's Internet Handbook

Marleah
Aug 06, 2010 Marleah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is not bad for those new to searching the Internet and who aren't sure where to begin. The book gives a nice outline of the different tools and resources one can use for searching, such as search engines, discussion boards, and directories, as well as sources for specific types of media (news, video, etc.). If you are pretty comfortable with using the Internet and searching, you might pick up a few tips from this book, but that's about it. It's also much more useful as a text that you ...more
Kayla Thurman
Hock, R. (2013). The extreme searcher's internet handbook: A guide for the serious searcher. (4th ed.). Medford: Information Today, Inc.

Citation By: Kayla Stewart

Type of Reference: Handbook

Call Number: Ref 025

Content/Scope: This handbook is targeted for students in elementary and middle school grades. It provides information about how to find relevant information via the Internet. This handbook includes guidelines about research, services offered by search engines, and web etiquette. This book w
Diana
Since I am back in school, 9 months out of the year I read nothing but text books. There were two books this semester that others might find interesting. The Extreme Seacher's Internet Handbook is an easy read reference book on how to find information on the internet. Ran Hock's book offers detailed descriptions of search engines along with key features, techniques for finding multimedia content, reviews of the major web directories, tips for searching news, shopping and even a nice "Internet re ...more
Eric Mahollitz
This is not the be-all, end-all book on the topic of Internet Search, but it it is very approachable for all skill levels, includes sections and annotations dedicated to useful additional information and tips, and it gives good attention to the major search engines as well as valuable Web resources. I don't think any book on the topic can be truly great since Internet search changes so rapidly, but any reader will benefit from this one.
Pamela
I found the information in this book useful. Even though it is the newest edition, it still has a few things that are somewhat out of date in regards to specific sites. The actually searching content of the book is still useful and accurate. I am glad I read it and plan to reference some of the information for my internet searching in the future.
Pamela Hubbard
This is a great resource for anyone in the information sector. It goes into detail about what different search engines provide and even gives search experts information about not as popular features. I can see this book getting outdated quickly (hence the multiple editions) but it's still a resource I will keep on my shelf as a reference!
Heather Bolwar
Aug 10, 2015 Heather Bolwar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was required to buy this book for class, then was only required to read three chapters. However, those three chapters were very helpful. This is one I'll keep close at hand to pull out for ready reference, even now that my class is finished.
ron btdtbttsawio
So far I'm liking this book. It starts off with a bit of history. Then jumps into a comparison between directories and search engines. This is all interesting but the good info comes in chapter 4 when the author gets into more detail with google, yahoo, etc.
Chris
Jun 12, 2010 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the textbook for the class I will be teaching at PCC this summer. Now that I'm done with homework as a student, I now have the homework of reading this book so I can be the teacher. How did this happen? It's a very thorough and informative reference book.
Stephanie
May 05, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
A book that I know I'll go back to with frequency.
An excellent teaching resource and learning resource.
Patricia
This came through as a "new" book in the library system here on campus and I am curious about what a book on internet searching has to say. More soon!
Clara Dearmore Strom
Aug 12, 2013 Clara Dearmore Strom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
I was happy to see a new edition. This is a very good tool for beginners and experienced browsers. I'll will be recommending it to my students.
Sara
Sara rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2010
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Leilani M
Leilani M rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2016
Wiserblond
Wiserblond rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Shannon Wiggins
Shannon Wiggins rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Shardul Kate
Shardul Kate rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2015
Judy O'Connell
Judy O'Connell rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Melanie Dell
Melanie Dell rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Arnaldo
Arnaldo rated it really liked it
May 14, 2013
Lawrence Tuck
Sep 29, 2011 Lawrence Tuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of useful information. Fills in a lot of gaps, will help with my internet research-definitely!
Meg
Meg rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2013
Jen Breese
Jen Breese rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Marina
Marina rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2014
Dec 18, 2014
Kazi
Sep 11, 2013 Kazi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Prepare to be underwhelmed...
mary callahan
mary callahan rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Librarian's Guide to Online Searching
  • The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts
  • The Oxford Guide to Library Research
  • Cataloging and Classification: An Introduction
  • Reference and Information Services: An Introduction (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Creating Web Pages For Dummies
  • The Story Of Libraries: From The Invention Of Writing To The Computer Age
  • Revolting Librarians Redux: Radical Librarians Speak Out
  • Ambient Findability: What We Find Changes Who We Become
  • The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media
  • Reflective Teaching, Effective Learning: Instructional Literacy for Library Educators
  • Foundations of Library and Information Science
  • Introduction to Cataloging and Classification
  • Small Pieces Loosely Joined: A Unified Theory Of The Web
  • Developing and Maintaining Practical Archives: A How-To-Do-It Manual
  • Radical Careering: 100 Truths to Jumpstart Your Job, Your Career, and Your Life
  • The Novel 100: A Ranking Of The Greatest Novels Of All Time