Start by marking “Healthy Meals for Less: Great-Tasting Simple Recipes Under $1 a Serving” as Want to Read:

Healthy Meals for Less: Great-Tasting Simple Recipes Under $1 a Serving

In this easy-to-use, make-it-from-scratch cookbook, Jonni McCoy, the original Miserly Mom, demonstrates that inexpensive meals can be both nutritious and mouth-watering. She offers proof that living well without spending is doable. Originally published as Miserly Meals, every recipe includes the price per serving and a nutritional analysis. Kitchen tips are an added bonus ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Healthy Meals for Less, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healthy Meals for Less

Aug 09, 2015 Janelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginners cooking on a budget
I've done something unusual with this rating. Normally I would rate a book on how I enjoyed it at the time of reading, but with this book I'm rating it based on how I would have appreciated it 20 years ago, if it had been available to me then. Initially when I first started reading through these recipes, I was a little ho hum, been there, done that, know it already. Then I realised that my response was based on twenty years of cooking for a family on a budget, and that twenty years ago, when I w ...more
Molly McMurray
Jul 18, 2014 Molly McMurray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the homemade alternatives!

Love the homemade alternatives!

I bookmarked (on my kindle) many recipes and can't wait to dive in. However, I do hope the author will go through the ingredient lists to fix where the amount (usually where followed by 'cup') somehow got reduced to a size too small to read. This is the only reason I didn't give the book 5 stars. PLEASE run a revision so we kindle readers can enjoy each & every recipe!

I plan to lighten the sweet recipes (my weakness) by substitut
Dec 22, 2010 Emelda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, frugality
Most of the recipes looked bland, too simple to care about, so not vegan, or were covered in other books that were better buys(such as The Tightwad Gazette).

I've tried two so far and only really have the intention to do one more:

Meatless Shepard's Pie. Like the TVP addition, but overall I like the Shepard Pie from "How It All Vegan," but I think I'm going to add in the TVP next time. Also, this recipe has no garlic! Does not compute.

Chewy Granola Bars: YUM! I added a cup of coconut and used aga
Julie Barrett
Jul 30, 2014 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Healthy Meals for Less: Great-Tasting Simple Recipes Under $1 a Serving
Lots of helpful information for everything you need to know about the collection of recipes that anybody can make.
So much information along with tips you can take your time as this one is a keeper.
Nutritional information is included along with the recipes and what utensils to use along with appliances.
Nov 27, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found several vegetarian recipe keepers in this cookbook--Spanish Pie, meatless Shepherd's Pie,& the meatless meatloaf to name a few. Easy and inexpensive healthy comfort foods perfect for winter dinners. Also made for great leftovers!
Jul 17, 2014 jj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't made any of the recipes yet - But most certainly will. There are several that sound absolutely delicious, Chinese drumsticks, ramen chicken salad, hummus, buffalo wings,coffeechino, just to name a few. There were also several vegetarian main dishes that I would try as well.
Diana Nelson
Sep 17, 2009 Diana Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazingly simple cookbook! She shows you the easy ways to make things "from scratch" in order to save a lot of money. It's not gourmet, but it's good food. Sure beats Ramen noodles.
Mar 18, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The recipes are all "under $1"
you get all your groceries on a good sale.

I was more interested in all the kitchen tips & trucks but there were also a few good recipes I plan on trying
Carol Rankin
Sep 08, 2014 Carol Rankin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learn a few tips I didn't know.

Lots of interesting and useful recipes. Will be making some. I think anyone who enjoys homemade, will enjoy the recipes.
Sharon rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Deba rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Laura rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Amy T Carr
Amy T Carr rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Alysha rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
Linda rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Crystel Lewinski
Crystel Lewinski rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Xena rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Patricia Hodges
Patricia Hodges rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
RHONDA LEBLANC rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2016
Laura Meysenburg
Laura Meysenburg rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2014
Jacqueline Chambers
Jacqueline Chambers rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
David Saunders
David Saunders rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Lissette Oramas
Lissette Oramas rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Joan rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Herman Litt
Herman Litt rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2014
Keeley rated it liked it
May 10, 2016
Doug/Barb Schmidt
Doug/Barb Schmidt rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2015
timothy wayne brock
timothy wayne brock rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Tammy rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Healthy and Delicious Low Carb Cooking
  • 20 Minute Express Recipes for Busy People
  • Satisfying Slow Cooker Meals and More
  • From My Slow Cooker to Yours : 70 Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes From Dinner To Dessert
  • 90+ Tastefully Simple Recipes Volume 1: Chicken, Pasta, Salmon Box Set!
  • Juicing Magic: 50+ Recipes for Detoxification, Weight Loss, Healthy Smooth Skin, Diabetes, Gain Energy and De-Stress
  • Smart Cooking for Busy People: How to Make Healthy and Tasty Full Meals in 30 Minutes
  • Diet Cookbook: Healthy Desserts-Naturally Up to 160 calories. Healthy European Desserts with natural ingredients and no artificial sweeteners (Low Fat Recipes, Low Calorie Cookbook Collection)
  • Country Baking Quick Breads and Muffins (Delicious Recipes)
  • Wheat Fast Low Carb CookBook for Weight Loss: Top 49 Wheat Free Beginners Recipes, Who Want to Lose Belly Fat Without Dieting and Prevent Diabetes.
  • Skinny Pizza: Over 100 healthy recipes for America's favorite food
  • Fresh from the Garden Recipes:: A Bounty of 120 Dishes Featuring Fresh Produce
  • A Farmer's Daughter: Recipes from a Mennonite Kitchen
  • Smoothie Power! Recipes for Weight Loss, Vitality, & the Occasional Super Power
  • 101 Gluten Free Vegan Italian Food
  • The Slow Cooker Cookbook: 87 Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Recipes for Slow Cooked Meals
  • Mediterranean Cuisine: 120 Easy and Delicious Recipes for Happy Family Meals