Beaches

Beaches

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  6,727 ratings  ·  123 reviews
Loudmouthed, redheaded Cee Cee Bloom has her sights set on Hollywood. Bertie White, quiet and conservative, dreams of getting married and having children. In 1951, their childhood worlds collide in Atlantic City. Keeping in touch as pen pals, they reunite over the years ... always near the ocean.

Powerful and moving, this novel follows Cee Cee and Bertie's extraordinary fri...more
Published June 15th 2004 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1985)

The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggDivine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca WellsWhere the Heart Is by Billie Letts
Best Adult Female Friendship Books
30th out of 363 books — 692 voters
The Notebook by Nicholas SparksThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienStardust by Neil Gaiman
The MOVIE was BETTER than the BOOK
258th out of 767 books — 7,925 voters

More lists with this book...

Steph
Linda
Having seen the movie Beaches more times than I can count, I was looking forward to the book. I am therefore sorry to say that I didn’t like it that much.

The basic story stays the same: Cee Cee Bloom and Bertie White (Hillary in the movie) form an unlikely friendship when they are 10 and & 7 years old (respectively). Through many years and personal hardships they remain friends, until a tragic illness brings them together.

What didn’t I like about this book? Cee Cee Bloom is not a very nice...more
Jinky
**Contains adult language and content**
(book I read from actually has a different bookcover image, but I couldn't find it, original '85 hardcover edition, and honestly I like this paperback cover better)

"1951. They meet as children under the boardwalk in Atlantic City. Cee Cee Bloom, with a Brillo pad of red hair, a knock-out voice and a sparkle that demands attention, is performing in a kiddie show. Bertie White is from a conventional family with traditional values, but she finds herself captiv...more
Beth Klingler
I have mixed feelings about this book. I read it for long periods before going back to real life, so it was good enough to get absorbed in... but I somehow didn't cry, which for me is weird. I saw the movie when it first came out as a child and refused to watch it again for several years because it had touched me emotionally in a way I didn't know movies could or should yet. I don't know if my emotional detachment from the book came from spending so much time thinking about how different it was...more
Rachel
Oct 21, 2009 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like the film.
loved it as much as i love the film. beautiful story about a beautiful friendship and what you'd do for the friend you love most; that has become your family.
Unsolved Mystery
Aug 15, 2010 Unsolved Mystery rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Noone, just watch the movie
Joanne Goon
Mar 27, 2008 Joanne Goon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any woman with a best friend!
I completely forgot that I read this book a few years ago, until my best friend asked me for a recommendation today and this just popped into my head. Although it appears that it didn't leave a lasting mark since I forgot about it, I actually do remember loving this book. And ironic that I remembered it this way, since the book is about two best friends that grew up together. Also, I haven't yet watched the movie, but I distinctly remember telling myself that I had to see this movie after I read...more
Heather
I really enjoyed this book. The relationship between the two women was real; it wasn't pretty, simple, or common. It was deep, complicated, and that made the book even better. There were parts which I felt extreme disappointment; but not because the book was bad or so-so, but because I wanted more for both women. This book really kept going and made me feel a lot for the characters, which I haven't had in awhile.
Karen
Beaches is probably my all time favorite friendship movie. I was so looking forward to reading this book to learn more about the characters, but it was not good. I did not like the Bertie character at all. Way too week and the Cee Cee character was too filthy mouth. This book was more about sex and such strong language more so than the friendship that was the basis of the movie.
Michelle
For some reason, Baby loves to pull this book off the shelf, so I gave it a go.

One, I barely remember the movie, so I don't think I'm too biased from that, but I remember feeling sad but satisfied when the movie ended. But I thought the ending from the book was...disappointing. It didn't wrap up enough! Bertie was alive for a long time, sick for a long time, died, then six paragraphs later, the book was done. Ack, give me a little more time to grieve.

But overall, I liked the book. A lot of ups...more
Sara
I really loved this book and can't wait to see the movie now. I had never even heard of either before but happened to pick the book up and now it is one of my favorites. It is a great story and I will definitely recommend it to many!
Kari
One of my favorite books of all time, along with the movie (Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey). It is also my best friend's favorite -- which is great, because the book is all about the power of a lifetime friend.
zhen^^
♥♥it's good! and I like the two character in this novel. It's good at the last part because I cant help to cry! but in all I think it's good but not that great!
Tracie
Read it way before the movie came out and loved it. The movie did the book justice, so if you've seen it but haven't read it give it a shot.
After seeing the movie WAY more times than I would like to admit - I had to read the book.
Tiff
One of my all-time favorite chick flicks, I found the book to be heartwarming as well.
Katrina
I can't really say that I disliked the book itself, but I pretty much hated all the characters. They just weren't likable at all in my opinion. I saw the movie Beaches years before I even knew the book existed and I loved it so I figured I'd love the book just as much, if not more. I was wrong. Bertie is so weak and pathetic it's not even funny. I wonder what she ever saw in Michael to begin with. The way she pined over him for all those years was just disgusting and he didn't deserve it at all....more
Marnie Bebej
I won't lie I own the movie and it's one of my favorites. But when i saw the book at Goodwill I had to buy it knowing the books are always better. If you love the movie I think you will enjoy the book. Bette Midler was SPOT ON for the role of CeeCee Bloom. She's loud, she's look at me, and she has THE VOICE!! However the other main role in the book they changed everything about her when it came to the movie, from her name, to her job, to what she names her child and I'm sure more it's been a whi...more
Liz
Having just finished this book, I'm not quite sure yet how I felt about it. I read it for long periods before going back to real life, so it was good enough to get absorbed in... but I somehow didn't cry, which for me is weird. I saw the movie when it first came out as a child and refused to watch it again for several years because it had touched me emotionally in a way I didn't know movies could or should yet. I don't know if my emotional detachment from the book came from spending so much time...more
Jaime Contreras
I only read this because I enjoyed the movie. The story about the bond of love between two girls-women is engaging and overly melodramatic. It works but it is a tearjerker of a novel. I cannot say it is a bad book but it is also not a great book because of the flowery language and the over-the-top style of storytelling. It is a good read but it is what it is.
Liz
So I picked this book because the challenge for June was to read a "beach" book. I already finished the challenge, but this book was one of my choices. I had watched the movie several times before and really liked it. I think that I liked the movie more so than the book. There were several changes made in the movie from the book, and since the movie is more familiar for me, I liked those changes better. The biggest difference that struck me, besides the name of Roberta, was when "Bert" and John...more
Courtney
This book is womens fiction, yet it is different than any womens fiction I have read.

Its so weird yet so refreshing :) thr girls met when they were younger and somehow after that day they became insepeeable even living away from eachother in which case they kept in contact through letters.

You couldnt find two completely different characters. Bert was classy and sophisticated where Cee was loud and Colorful :) yet somehow they balanced eachother out.

I had many emotional times where I cried some...more
Shanique Nelson
This book brought may mixed feelings... I felt a lot of hurt n disappointment especially for Bertie, she really deserved better... But in all a good read, we don't always get what we deserve, except for d explicit...
Jenn
Wow what an incredible book!
A friendship that began in Atlantic City which grew into pen pals throughout CeeCee and Bertie's life. Ups and downs, meeting each other on vacations, even down to Bertie dying this was a fantastic tale of a unique friendship throughout the ages.
Kathy  Porter
From the time I was 10 or 11 years old, and my parents introduced the movie to me, "Beaches" has been a story that has been on my mind and in my heart (to this day, the movie makes me sob like a baby). For several years, I've wanted to read the book. However, this is a rare case where I personally believe the movie is MUCH better than the book (and far less provocative...the language in the book is too filthy for my personal liking). Regardless, the story (which varies quite differently from the...more
Debbie
One of the rare times when I think the movie is better than the book.
I must say that I don't understand why the movie changed certain things ... like the location of 2/3 of the scenes in the book, the name of one of the main characters, the disease, etc.
But, having said that - I think the movie was much less raunchy and vulgar than than the book! I'm glad the movie 'toned it down' from the book.

But the book and the movie both maintain that wonderful underlying foundation of what makes some frien...more
Lynn
I loved this book just as much as the movie. I needed a light easy summertime read and this was it! I cried, I laughed, and I felt the deep friendship these two woman shared throughout their lives.
Christa
I am so so so glad to have found this treasure in a secondhand bookshop
Ashley Calvert
I'm not sure why I keep subjecting myself to these chick-lit-ish books. I guess I enjoy a mindless read, if it is good.

This was just...dissapointing. I've never seen the movie, but I know it's loved by so many girls out there. So I thought the book had to be good. It really wasn't though.

Although I felt for Cee Cee's character, she got on my nerves a great deal with her vulgarity and superficialness. I know that is part of her "charm", but it just didn't really resonate with me.

I might watch t...more
Rachel
There are not enough stars for this review. :)
  • Sleeping With the Enemy
  • The First Wives Club
  • Braveheart
  • Terms Of Endearment
  • Dances with Wolves (Dances with Wolves, #1)
  • The Piano
  • Driving Miss Daisy
  • Riding in Cars with Boys: Confessions of a Bad Girl Who Makes Good
  • Pay It Forward
  • The Poseidon Adventure
  • Steel Magnolias (DPS Acting Edition)
  • Must Love Dogs
  • What's Eating Gilbert Grape
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in His Adventure on Earth
  • Shakespeare in Love: A Screenplay
  • Legally Blonde
  • Waiting to Exhale
  • The Devil's Advocate
Beaches II: I'll Be There When I Fall in Love Some Kind of Miracle: A Novel The Stork Club: A Novel The Boys in the Mail Room