Start by marking “Beaches” as Want to Read:
Beaches

Beaches

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,592 Ratings  ·  152 Reviews
Loudmouthed, redheaded Cee Cee Bloom has her sights set on Hollywood. Bertie White, quiet and conservative, dreams of getting married and having children. In 1951, their childhood worlds collide in Atlantic City. Keeping in touch as pen pals, they reunite over the years ... always near the ocean.

Powerful and moving, this novel follows Cee Cee and Bertie's extraordinary fri
Published June 15th 2004 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Beaches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beaches

The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggDivine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca WellsWhere the Heart Is by Billie Letts
Best Adult Female Friendship Books
28th out of 467 books — 930 voters
The Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienStardust by Neil Gaiman
The MOVIE was BETTER than the BOOK
253rd out of 877 books — 9,365 voters

More lists with this book...

Steph
Nov 27, 2010 Steph rated it did not like it
Ladyslott
Having seen the movie Beaches more times than I can count, I was looking forward to the book. I am therefore sorry to say that I didn’t like it that much.

The basic story stays the same: Cee Cee Bloom and Bertie White (Hillary in the movie) form an unlikely friendship when they are 10 and & 7 years old (respectively). Through many years and personal hardships they remain friends, until a tragic illness brings them together.

What didn’t I like about this book? Cee Cee Bloom is not a very nice
Jinky
Jan 20, 2011 Jinky rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
**Contains adult language and content**
(book I read from actually has a different bookcover image, but I couldn't find it, original '85 hardcover edition, and honestly I like this paperback cover better)

"1951. They meet as children under the boardwalk in Atlantic City. Cee Cee Bloom, with a Brillo pad of red hair, a knock-out voice and a sparkle that demands attention, is performing in a kiddie show. Bertie White is from a conventional family with traditional values, but she finds herself captiv
Rebecca McNutt
May 23, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
Excellent novel of friendship, filled with nostalgia and vibrant imagery. Both main characters were complex and original, and it was a really intriguing little novel to read.
Rachel
Oct 21, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like the film.
loved it as much as i love the film. beautiful story about a beautiful friendship and what you'd do for the friend you love most; that has become your family.
Joanne Goon
Mar 27, 2008 Joanne Goon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any woman with a best friend!
I completely forgot that I read this book a few years ago, until my best friend asked me for a recommendation today and this just popped into my head. Although it appears that it didn't leave a lasting mark since I forgot about it, I actually do remember loving this book. And ironic that I remembered it this way, since the book is about two best friends that grew up together. Also, I haven't yet watched the movie, but I distinctly remember telling myself that I had to see this movie after I read ...more
Julie Barrett
Jan 07, 2016 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
Beaches by Iris Rainer Dart
CeeCee and Birdie meet at the beach when CC isn't able to find her mom. She's a dancer on stage and she can also sing.
CC heads to the west coast where she becomes a big star on the stage. She keeps in contact with Birdie...
Birdie meets up with CC when she comes back to do shows in the summer. The manager notices Birdie and offers her a job. CC is very jealous as she is the one that is the star.
She has sexual fantasies about John the manager til she finds out Birdie has
Heather
I really enjoyed this book. The relationship between the two women was real; it wasn't pretty, simple, or common. It was deep, complicated, and that made the book even better. There were parts which I felt extreme disappointment; but not because the book was bad or so-so, but because I wanted more for both women. This book really kept going and made me feel a lot for the characters, which I haven't had in awhile.
Karen
Apr 04, 2011 Karen rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
Beaches is probably my all time favorite friendship movie. I was so looking forward to reading this book to learn more about the characters, but it was not good. I did not like the Bertie character at all. Way too week and the Cee Cee character was too filthy mouth. This book was more about sex and such strong language more so than the friendship that was the basis of the movie.
Kirsty Sneddon
Jul 15, 2015 Kirsty Sneddon rated it it was amazing
When i came onto the comment section I expected everyone to be praising this book to pieces, but was I wrong. Personally I loved 'Beaches', I just couldn't put it down and thought the pacing of the story was wonderful. I liked how it switched back to 1983 and how it draws into that year at the end of the book. The only thing that bothered me was Bertie's character. SPOILER....I mean she thinks she hears her husband sleeping with CeeCee in the next room and what does she do? go lie on the bed and ...more
Michelle
Apr 09, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
For some reason, Baby loves to pull this book off the shelf, so I gave it a go.

One, I barely remember the movie, so I don't think I'm too biased from that, but I remember feeling sad but satisfied when the movie ended. But I thought the ending from the book was...disappointing. It didn't wrap up enough! Bertie was alive for a long time, sick for a long time, died, then six paragraphs later, the book was done. Ack, give me a little more time to grieve.

But overall, I liked the book. A lot of ups
Sara
Apr 08, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book and can't wait to see the movie now. I had never even heard of either before but happened to pick the book up and now it is one of my favorites. It is a great story and I will definitely recommend it to many!
myKCmom
Feb 19, 2015 myKCmom rated it really liked it
Shelves: relationships
I loved this book, and many parts of it stuck with me as the days passed by after I finished reading it. It was very alive for me. The only thing I hated about it was that it had to go the extra mile in being crass. IMHO, it didn't add to the book at all. Those parts could have been expressed without vulgarity. Instead, a beautiful book that stirred tremendous emotion within, can't be shared with people like my goddaughter, because she isn't 30 yet. The fact that I felt that way after reading so ...more
Kari
Jul 08, 2012 Kari rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time, along with the movie (Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey). It is also my best friend's favorite -- which is great, because the book is all about the power of a lifetime friend.
Julie
Sep 07, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
zhen^^
Feb 01, 2010 zhen^^ rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
it's good! and I like the two character in this novel. It's good at the last part because I cant help to cry! but in all I think it's good but not that great! ...more
Maria
Mar 19, 2013 Maria rated it liked it
It was a lot different than the movie which i saw many years ago first. Very touching story though. Great to read if you have a best friend.
Tracie
Mar 20, 2010 Tracie rated it it was amazing
Read it way before the movie came out and loved it. The movie did the book justice, so if you've seen it but haven't read it give it a shot.
Mar 21, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
After seeing the movie WAY more times than I would like to admit - I had to read the book.
Tiff
Feb 18, 2009 Tiff rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite chick flicks, I found the book to be heartwarming as well.
Katrina
May 30, 2012 Katrina rated it it was ok
I can't really say that I disliked the book itself, but I pretty much hated all the characters. They just weren't likable at all in my opinion. I saw the movie Beaches years before I even knew the book existed and I loved it so I figured I'd love the book just as much, if not more. I was wrong. Bertie is so weak and pathetic it's not even funny. I wonder what she ever saw in Michael to begin with. The way she pined over him for all those years was just disgusting and he didn't deserve it at all. ...more
Marnie Bebej
Oct 30, 2013 Marnie Bebej rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I won't lie I own the movie and it's one of my favorites. But when i saw the book at Goodwill I had to buy it knowing the books are always better. If you love the movie I think you will enjoy the book. Bette Midler was SPOT ON for the role of CeeCee Bloom. She's loud, she's look at me, and she has THE VOICE!! However the other main role in the book they changed everything about her when it came to the movie, from her name, to her job, to what she names her child and I'm sure more it's been a whi ...more
Jacqueline
Apr 19, 2015 Jacqueline rated it liked it
I enjoyed a musical based on Beaches at Signature Theater and wanted to read the book. I have also seen the movie and remember Bette Midler's great performance. This was one incidence where the reading of the book didn't really deepen the experience for me. The characters are well drawn and quite memorable but the friendship itself didn't resonate as strongly for me in novel form.
Tracy
Mar 31, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it
Bette Midler was perfectly cast as Cee Cee Bloom in the movie version. Loved the book though I know that is largely because of a personal connection I have to the movie and a close friend. Probably why I have it four stars. Probably should receive three. I think the movie was enhanced by the soundtrack. I sang Baby of Mine everyone I put the book down.
Jaime Contreras
I only read this because I enjoyed the movie. The story about the bond of love between two girls-women is engaging and overly melodramatic. It works but it is a tearjerker of a novel. I cannot say it is a bad book but it is also not a great book because of the flowery language and the over-the-top style of storytelling. It is a good read but it is what it is.
Jane
Jan 20, 2016 Jane rated it did not like it
I must say I prefer the movie. I didn't like the book or the way she rushed Bertie's death. Perhaps some may perceive me as unemotional but I just could not find a connection between these two. They weren't realistic enough characters to stir emotions in me, crying being one of them.
Liz
So I picked this book because the challenge for June was to read a "beach" book. I already finished the challenge, but this book was one of my choices. I had watched the movie several times before and really liked it. I think that I liked the movie more so than the book. There were several changes made in the movie from the book, and since the movie is more familiar for me, I liked those changes better. The biggest difference that struck me, besides the name of Roberta, was when "Bert" and John ...more
Kari
Mar 09, 2015 Kari rated it really liked it
loved it! This was a a going away present from a sweet friend so I have had it in my TBR since September. I am happy I waited to read this as it was the perfect read for now. I loved both main characters, Cee Cee and Bertie. Dart provides beautiful prose with insight into both.
Jordan
Feb 23, 2016 Jordan rated it it was amazing
Much different than the movie but in the best of ways. The heart of the book isn't changed, friendship is still the main focus. However the book fills in some holes that the movie left behind. Both are amazing, separate but amazing.
Courtney
Aug 06, 2013 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is womens fiction, yet it is different than any womens fiction I have read.

Its so weird yet so refreshing :) thr girls met when they were younger and somehow after that day they became insepeeable even living away from eachother in which case they kept in contact through letters.

You couldnt find two completely different characters. Bert was classy and sophisticated where Cee was loud and Colorful :) yet somehow they balanced eachother out.

I had many emotional times where I cried some
  • The First Wives Club
  • Terms of Endearment
  • Sleeping with the Enemy
  • The Piano
  • Must Love Dogs (Must Love Dogs, #1)
  • Dances with Wolves (Dances with Wolves, #1)
  • Riding in Cars with Boys: Confessions of a Bad Girl Who Makes Good
  • Braveheart
  • The Poseidon Adventure
  • Driving Miss Daisy
  • Pay It Forward
  • What's Eating Gilbert Grape
  • Steel Magnolias (DPS Acting Edition)
  • Waiting to Exhale
  • Shakespeare in Love: A Screenplay
  • Legally Blonde
  • Born on the Fourth of July
  • Nanny McPhee: Based on the Collected Tales of Nurse Matilda
Iris Rainer Dart is the author of eight novels, including the much-beloved New York Times bestseller Beaches. The mother of two children, she lives in California with her husband.
More about Iris Rainer Dart...