Bleed a River Deep (Inspector Devlin, #3)

Bleed a River Deep (Inspector Devlin #3)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The third book in the internationally acclaimed Inspector Devlin series

When a U. S. diplomat is attacked during the opening of a Donegal gold mine, Inspector Benedict Devlin is disciplined for the lapse in security. The gunman turns out to be an environmentalist who is the brother of an old friend of Devlin’s. Then the shooter is found dead near the mine and Devlin begins...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bleed a River Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bleed a River Deep

Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Inspector Benedict Devlin
SETTING: Ireland
SERIES: #3 of 3
RATING: 3.5

It’s hard to imagine that there might be gold in Ireland, but the fact that a man named Ted Coyle found a nugget in the area outside Donegal has sparked a modern-day gold rush. At the same time, a local company owned by John Weston is opening a gold mine. Their figures indicate that the vein is a rich one; profitability is sky high. The opening of the mine is attended by a US senator, Cathal Hagan, who is an old fri...more
Lela
I like this author and enjoyed the book but didn't feel it was up to earlier books' standards. There were some surprises but really not much mystery. There was one character introduced that I am sure we will hear from, again. One thing I always like is the interaction between Devlin and his wife. They are so obviously in love and have a good marriage. Most books in this genre have the police person in a bad or troubled marriage. Refreshing difference! I will continue to read McGilloway's books e...more
Camilla
Can't decide if I liked this book or want to read more in this series. I have the next one, so i'll give it a go. The writing was unadorned, which I like, but occasionally drifted towards flat and, even, boring.
A. Mary Murphy
In this third Devlin mystery, McGilloway incorporates environmental issues, American foreign policy, human trafficking, local gang activity, and--of course--murder. He makes use of real issues affecting local people, making Devlin part of a living community. He becomes personally invested in the case of an illegal immigrant, literally bringing the problem into his own house, plus, one of the players in the murder case is a childhood friend. There's nothing extraordinary about Benedict Devlin, an...more
Joan
This is the third book in the series and the third one that I've read. There is much to recommend them, but I just cannot "get into" Ben Devlin in the same way that I'm into Alan Banks, Reg Wexford, Andy Dalziel, Peter Pascoe, John Rebus, Tommy Lynley, Endeavour Morse, Ruth Galloway (see, they're not all men), ... you get the idea. I find myself getting annoyed every time I'm reminded that Devlin goes to mass on Sundays and has a stay-at-home wife. But he also seems to make lot of mistakes and g...more
Jessica
I'm not a reader of crime fiction, and I picked this up because it was recommended to me by the NoveList (readers advisory) database and was recently published. I had many preconceived notions of crime fiction, but I didn't think that boring was one of its attributes! I just couldn't get into Bleed a River Deep, and none of the characters felt well-developed or compelling to me. The protagonist of this book, Inspector Devlin, felt flat--he didn't seem to have much dimension or internal struggle,...more
zenbren
I enjoy crime fiction and this book doesn't disappoint. The environmental and archeological based storyline works well although some of the characterisations are a little weak. The relationships within the Inspectors family are always delightful cameos i which offsetting darkness of murder and crime which permeate McGilloways work.
Harvey
Relatively slow-moving but well plotted police procedural. This is part of a series (#3?) featuring Ben Devlin. He's sort of a renegade cop who goes his own way in cases despite orders from stupid/corrupt/etc superiors.

The setting, the remote border country between Ireland and No. Ireland is interesting and presents issues in cross-border crime and logistics coordination between the police forces.

Here there also is a "political" element as an Irish-american US Senator and local corporate-types m...more
Judith
I read the previous two books in this series and enjoyed them but now the books are becoming formulaic. Devlin hasn't progressed and the story is so predictable. Moving on to another series.
Danielle
I enjoy this series immensely. The Irish setting appeals to me and the author is a good storyteller. The only criticism I have is that so many characters are named Peter. There's three or four in each book. Is Peter really that popular a name in Ireland?
Carol
A new series for me, set in Ireland, with a Garda inspector as the main character. Inspector Ben Devlin is assigned to guard a former US Senator visiting Ireland on a goodwill-type mission. When the brother of an old friend stages a "protest" by shooting at the Senator with a starter's pistol, Devlin is blamed. He quickly finds himself investigating human trafficking, smuggling, and possibly a serious environmental hazard connected with an Irish-American mining venture.

Dennis Fischman
Picked this one up at random in the Somerville Public Library, and I'm glad I did. It's really sort of a 3-1/2 star book. The whodunit element is not that strong, but two other elements are: the insight into social issues like human trafficking, and the character of Inspector Ben Devlin. He may be a cop, but he's just a regular guy with a wife, kids, and morals, trying to do what's right and sometimes making things worse in the process, but never quitting.
Grace
Enjoyable police procedural. McGilloway always makes his readers think twice about the "blessing" of the Celtic Tiger, and this is no exception. Characters were believable and I did not guess the ending (at least, mostly). Snowpocalypse 2014 plus in bed with a cold, so I finished it in 2 days.
Yves Lefevre
ricoeurian
Superb third volume of the Benedict Devlin series of crime novels, set in the borderlands between southern and nothern Ireland. Environment protestors clash with a war mongering US senator on Devlin's turf, and eastern European illegal immigrants get tangled up in the whole thing. The character development is central here, but the mystery and action are top notch too.
Jason Brennan
Not as good as McGilloway's earlier books - the plot felt flimsy and the American businessmen and gold mining crusties on which the plot hinges were too thinly drawn - almost transparent. Also lead character Inspector Devlin was too passive here here to be convincing as a cop. A disappointing outing from one of the most promising new Irish crime writers.
Patricia
The third and latest entry in a new series I recently discovered. I like McGilloway - his main character, Benedict Devlin, reminds me of a small town Irish version of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch, if such a thing is possible! Good writing, believable characters and thoroughly entertaining.
Richard
A well-written book with interesting characters, this book is more than a mystery. It has elements of intrigue, suspense, romance and great conflict. It is a must-read especially for those who have been to Ireland and will recognise many of the names mentioned from there.
GlenK
An atmospheric and tightly plotted police thriller involving Garda Inspector Devlin. Of this one - third in the series - I especially liked the look it gave of Devlin's home life. Given his profession, his marriage and family relations are happy and functional.

Ian Young
Continuation of a very fine detective series set on the border between Donegal and Derry. Strong plot, good character development, and an excellent read. Highly recommmended - though maybe better to start at book 1!
Becky
Maybe I was too distracted while I read this book, but by the end I was still not sure who all the characters were. Even so, I might still read the next one in the series because I like the main character.
Catherine Woodman
Good series--a few too many deaths, more than seem necessary, but a competent murder mystery--set in Ireland, which is a plus.
Magnus
Brilliant as usual from Brian McGilloway. Devlin becomes more rounded with each book.
Joe
My favourite of the Ben Devlin novels, fast paced and interesting storyline.
Linda
slow in the beginning...... wasn't great
Christa
My least favorite of the Devlin books so far.
Margareth8537
Interesting series
Eimear
and the characters develop a little more
  • The Wrong Kind of Blood (Ed Loy, #1)
  • Falling Glass
  • Winterland
  • Ash & Bone (Frank Elder, #2)
  • The Dramatist (Jack Taylor, #4)
  • Blood Runs Cold (Ren Bryce, #1)
  • The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie, #1)
  • In The Blood (Carson Ryder, #5)
  • The Day of the Jack Russell
  • Collusion (Jack Lennon Investigations #2)
  • The Lizard's Bite (Nic Costa, #4)
  • The Chalon Heads (Brock & Kolla, #4)
  • In The Dark
  • Dry Bones That Dream (Inspector Banks, #7)
  • In the Evil Day
  • Turnstone (DI Joe Faraday, #1)
Brian McGilloway is an author hailing from Derry, Northern Ireland. He studied English at Queens University Belfast, where he was very active in student theatre, winning a prestigious national Irish Student Drama Association award for theatrical lighting design in 1996. He is currently Head of English at St. Columb's College, Derry. McGilloway's debut novel was a crime thriller called Borderlands....more
More about Brian McGilloway...
Little Girl Lost (DS Lucy Black, #1) Borderlands (Inspector Devlin, #1) Gallows Lane (Inspector Devlin, #2) The Stolen Child Hurt (DS Lucy Black, #2)