Start by marking “Bleed a River Deep (Inspector Devlin, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bleed a River Deep (Inspector Devlin, #3)

Bleed a River Deep (Inspector Devlin #3)

The third book in the internationally acclaimed Inspector Devlin series

When a U. S. diplomat is attacked during the opening of a Donegal gold mine, Inspector Benedict Devlin is disciplined for the lapse in security. The gunman turns out to be an environmentalist who is the brother of an old friend of Devlin’s. Then the shooter is found dead near the mine and Devlin begins
Published September 14th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bleed a River Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bleed a River Deep

Maddy
Sep 01, 2010 Maddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
PROTAGONIST: Inspector Benedict Devlin
SETTING: Ireland
SERIES: #3 of 3
RATING: 3.5

It’s hard to imagine that there might be gold in Ireland, but the fact that a man named Ted Coyle found a nugget in the area outside Donegal has sparked a modern-day gold rush. At the same time, a local company owned by John Weston is opening a gold mine. Their figures indicate that the vein is a rich one; profitability is sky high. The opening of the mine is attended by a US senator, Cathal Hagan, who is an old fri
Camilla
Jun 13, 2011 Camilla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Can't decide if I liked this book or want to read more in this series. I have the next one, so i'll give it a go. The writing was unadorned, which I like, but occasionally drifted towards flat and, even, boring.
Nigel MaHugh
Oct 02, 2016 Nigel MaHugh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First of Brian's books I have came across. Started well enough, but by chapter Two we were informed that the Irish Army were using M16 rifles.
Well, that spoiled it a bit, as even the most dis-interested citizen would know that they never were issued the M16 in the history of this state.
The IRA did use smuggled Armalite's in .223 Remmington though.
The Steyr AUG has been the standard Irish Army rifle for at least twenty years.
If a teacher from Derry couldn't be bothered to research even this bas
Joe
Jan 12, 2015 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This is the third adventure of Benedict “Ben” Devlin – a Garda detective inspector, stationed and residing on the “borderlands’ of Ireland. In the previous two books – as in this one – Ben juggles a multitude of cases that all “tie together” at the end. Here Ben attempts to make sense of an assassination attempt of a US Senator, a feeble but deadly bank robbery attempt, a break-in at a defense plant, illegal immigration, a fraudulent “gold-mine” and a mysterious and potentially very dangerous ec ...more
Jessica
I'm not a reader of crime fiction, and I picked this up because it was recommended to me by the NoveList (readers advisory) database and was recently published. I had many preconceived notions of crime fiction, but I didn't think that boring was one of its attributes! I just couldn't get into Bleed a River Deep, and none of the characters felt well-developed or compelling to me. The protagonist of this book, Inspector Devlin, felt flat--he didn't seem to have much dimension or internal struggle, ...more
Myrna
Jul 27, 2016 Myrna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harvey
Nov 15, 2010 Harvey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Relatively slow-moving but well plotted police procedural. This is part of a series (#3?) featuring Ben Devlin. He's sort of a renegade cop who goes his own way in cases despite orders from stupid/corrupt/etc superiors.

The setting, the remote border country between Ireland and No. Ireland is interesting and presents issues in cross-border crime and logistics coordination between the police forces.

Here there also is a "political" element as an Irish-american US Senator and local corporate-types m
A. Mary
Aug 04, 2014 A. Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish-novels
In this third Devlin mystery, McGilloway incorporates environmental issues, American foreign policy, human trafficking, local gang activity, and--of course--murder. He makes use of real issues affecting local people, making Devlin part of a living community. He becomes personally invested in the case of an illegal immigrant, literally bringing the problem into his own house, plus, one of the players in the murder case is a childhood friend. There's nothing extraordinary about Benedict Devlin, an ...more
Joan
May 10, 2014 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the series and the third one that I've read. There is much to recommend them, but I just cannot "get into" Ben Devlin in the same way that I'm into Alan Banks, Reg Wexford, Andy Dalziel, Peter Pascoe, John Rebus, Tommy Lynley, Endeavour Morse, Ruth Galloway (see, they're not all men), ... you get the idea. I find myself getting annoyed every time I'm reminded that Devlin goes to mass on Sundays and has a stay-at-home wife. But he also seems to make lot of mistakes and g ...more
Sandra
Enjoyed less that the previous one of his I read, partly I think because there felt to be one plot strand too many and partly because, not for the first time, I feel that the character of Benedict Devlin needs to be more much more deeply explored. He seemed to feel too little about the death of a colleague, his killing of a suspect.
While the tying up of the ends was unsatisfactory - for Devlin - it was refreshing not to have everything tidy at the finish.
It also jarred to have him repeatedly re
Lela
Jun 18, 2013 Lela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this author and enjoyed the book but didn't feel it was up to earlier books' standards. There were some surprises but really not much mystery. There was one character introduced that I am sure we will hear from, again. One thing I always like is the interaction between Devlin and his wife. They are so obviously in love and have a good marriage. Most books in this genre have the police person in a bad or troubled marriage. Refreshing difference! I will continue to read McGilloway's books e ...more
Carol
Mar 06, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, irish
A new series for me, set in Ireland, with a Garda inspector as the main character. Inspector Ben Devlin is assigned to guard a former US Senator visiting Ireland on a goodwill-type mission. When the brother of an old friend stages a "protest" by shooting at the Senator with a starter's pistol, Devlin is blamed. He quickly finds himself investigating human trafficking, smuggling, and possibly a serious environmental hazard connected with an Irish-American mining venture.

Dennis Fischman
Jan 11, 2013 Dennis Fischman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Picked this one up at random in the Somerville Public Library, and I'm glad I did. It's really sort of a 3-1/2 star book. The whodunit element is not that strong, but two other elements are: the insight into social issues like human trafficking, and the character of Inspector Ben Devlin. He may be a cop, but he's just a regular guy with a wife, kids, and morals, trying to do what's right and sometimes making things worse in the process, but never quitting.
ricoeurian
Superb third volume of the Benedict Devlin series of crime novels, set in the borderlands between southern and nothern Ireland. Environment protestors clash with a war mongering US senator on Devlin's turf, and eastern European illegal immigrants get tangled up in the whole thing. The character development is central here, but the mystery and action are top notch too.
Jason Brennan
Not as good as McGilloway's earlier books - the plot felt flimsy and the American businessmen and gold mining crusties on which the plot hinges were too thinly drawn - almost transparent. Also lead character Inspector Devlin was too passive here here to be convincing as a cop. A disappointing outing from one of the most promising new Irish crime writers.
Aug 30, 2016 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This series is very uneven. The second book was brilliant, but the first and third are really just ok. Devlin kind of bumbles through his cases, and the main case here was kind flat. Even though he's a family man and should be very easy to relate to, it's hard to build sympathy for him.

I'll check out the next book, but with reservations.
Yves Lefevre
zenbren
Jun 04, 2014 zenbren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I enjoy crime fiction and this book doesn't disappoint. The environmental and archeological based storyline works well although some of the characterisations are a little weak. The relationships within the Inspectors family are always delightful cameos i which offsetting darkness of murder and crime which permeate McGilloways work.
GlenK
Aug 19, 2012 GlenK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
An atmospheric and tightly plotted police thriller involving Garda Inspector Devlin. Of this one - third in the series - I especially liked the look it gave of Devlin's home life. Given his profession, his marriage and family relations are happy and functional.

Patricia
Jul 20, 2010 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The third and latest entry in a new series I recently discovered. I like McGilloway - his main character, Benedict Devlin, reminds me of a small town Irish version of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch, if such a thing is possible! Good writing, believable characters and thoroughly entertaining.
Richard
Feb 03, 2011 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-written book with interesting characters, this book is more than a mystery. It has elements of intrigue, suspense, romance and great conflict. It is a must-read especially for those who have been to Ireland and will recognise many of the names mentioned from there.
Becky
Feb 25, 2011 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I was too distracted while I read this book, but by the end I was still not sure who all the characters were. Even so, I might still read the next one in the series because I like the main character.
Grace
Enjoyable police procedural. McGilloway always makes his readers think twice about the "blessing" of the Celtic Tiger, and this is no exception. Characters were believable and I did not guess the ending (at least, mostly). Snowpocalypse 2014 plus in bed with a cold, so I finished it in 2 days.
Ian Young
Continuation of a very fine detective series set on the border between Donegal and Derry. Strong plot, good character development, and an excellent read. Highly recommmended - though maybe better to start at book 1!
Danielle
Jun 20, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this series immensely. The Irish setting appeals to me and the author is a good storyteller. The only criticism I have is that so many characters are named Peter. There's three or four in each book. Is Peter really that popular a name in Ireland?
Magnus
Sep 02, 2010 Magnus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant as usual from Brian McGilloway. Devlin becomes more rounded with each book.
Judie
May 23, 2014 Judie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the previous two books in this series and enjoyed them but now the books are becoming formulaic. Devlin hasn't progressed and the story is so predictable. Moving on to another series.
Catherine Woodman
Good series--a few too many deaths, more than seem necessary, but a competent murder mystery--set in Ireland, which is a plus.
Joe
Nov 30, 2010 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favourite of the Ben Devlin novels, fast paced and interesting storyline.
  • The Color of Blood (Ed Loy, #2)
  • Winterland
  • Falling Glass
  • Something For The Weekend
  • The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie, #1)
  • Ash & Bone (Frank Elder, #2)
  • Truth Lies Bleeding (DI Rob Brennan #1)
  • Mystery Man
  • No Trace (Brock & Kolla, #8)
  • Down These Green Streets: Irish Crime Writing in the 21st Century
  • Blood Runs Cold (Ren Bryce, #1)
  • Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)
  • In the Dark
  • Collusion (Jack Lennon Investigations #2)
  • The Damned Season
  • Camouflage (Nameless Detective, #35)
  • The Truth Commissioner
Brian McGilloway is an author hailing from Derry, Northern Ireland. He studied English at Queens University Belfast, where he was very active in student theatre, winning a prestigious national Irish Student Drama Association award for theatrical lighting design in 1996. He is currently Head of English at St. Columb's College, Derry. McGilloway's debut novel was a crime thriller called Borderlands. ...more
More about Brian McGilloway...

Inspector Devlin (5 books)
  • Borderlands (Inspector Devlin, #1)
  • Gallows Lane (Inspector Devlin, #2)
  • The Rising (Inspector Devlin, #4)
  • The Nameless Dead (Inspector Devlin, #5)