Start by marking “Sewing in a Straight Line: Quick and Crafty Projects You Can Make by Simply Sewing Straight” as Want to Read:

Create an entire world of sophisticated projects using one simple skill. p

Absolutely anyone can sew a straight line. And with this one skill and some basic guidance, television host and crafty expert Brett Bara demonstrates how you can make custom home dcor, stylish fashions, and one-of-a-kind gifts.
p
Sewing in a Straight Line is a step-by-step guide to creating 28 decepti
Published July 19th 2011 by Potter Craft (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sewing in a Straight Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sewing in a Straight Line

Erika
Dec 14, 2011 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sewing
I really love the concept of this book - that succesful sewing is as easy as sewing in a straight line. There is good information up front in this book for beginners on everything from tools to techniques and the author writes from her own personal sewing experience. The projects definitely have a modern style, and although I don't care for all of the garment projects (I do like the Sewing School Skirt) it is good to see a book for beginners that includes a variety of clothing. I do love the Mag ...more
Alana Klinka
Aug 26, 2011 Alana Klinka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was so excited to get my hands on this book, but found it entirely disapointing. The projects are good ideas and the photography and stylish shows a very current perspective, but the instructions and diagrams are useless. I already sew and was looking for some inspiration on quick projects. I like to see how diferent instructors teach sewing technique because I am a crafts and arts instructor. These instructions were very odd and incomplete. The author asks you to use your mesurements but does ...more
Aja Marsh
most of these projects aren't that interesting to me, and the ones that are i'm pretty capable of already, but i liked the positive approach she has in the introductory pages, even though by now, with all of the sewing books i've been breezing through, i'm pretty tired of reading about all of the necessary tools and the like-- but i still read all of that thinking that maybe i'll hear something new or refreshing. in any case, the projects i was most interested in were the quilts-- especially the ...more
Katy
Feb 08, 2016 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Am inspired to be crafty in a new way.
Heather
This is a great little book for quick and easy craft projects and simple sewing. The beginning of the book has information on getting started, that is, basic tools that are needed, basic stitching by hand techniques, basic stitching by machine techniques, basic sewing techniques, and fabric basics. Each design is easy to finish with great instructions. Each design starts with finished dimensions, supplies needed, fabric suggestions and any notes needed. Next it goes into details about measure an ...more
Nicole Mehelich
Jul 02, 2015 Nicole Mehelich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that this book is great for people who are starting out with sewing and want to have some fairly easy projects that make you feel accomplished. I've sewn a few projects from this book, and they've turned out well. I made my husband the denim dop bag, which he loves, but said that he wishes it would hold its shape a bit better. Some interfacing or a sturdier fabric may have helped. Overall though, I think it's a great book for beginning sewists.
Kanika
Aug 26, 2014 Kanika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for the beginner! The projects, for once, actually look good and I personally found the instructions easy to follow compared to the nightmare that most books on sewing tend to be. The diagrams aren't totally incomprehensible but they do leave room for improvement.
J.
Feb 03, 2016 J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an experienced sewer, I think this book would be great for any beginner. There is a large variety of projects and once a person masters these techniques and skills, they should be able to improvise many different projects on their own.
Lana.
May 14, 2013 Lana. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diy, fashion
Simple, modern, and attractive projects (fashion, home, and gifts) that only require the ability to sew in a straight line. Simple, right? Well, putting in a zip is sewing straight but not necessarily easy and other techniques will help with the finish of the final projects... But, overall, I was really impressed by how the clearly explained, simple parts came together for a much more complicated look.

I plan on using the detail on the origami dress for a project, and I might actually try one of
Atlantis
Nice collection of simple patterns that literally just use straight line sewing. I hope to try a couple!
Molly
May 17, 2014 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very accessible projects with directions that even I could understand.
Carole
Mar 25, 2012 Carole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
I checked this out from the library as part of a bunch I pulled in order to help me teach my two younger daughters to sew. I think that this one has a lot going for it, in that there are several projects the 15yo is interested in making and none require a lot of time or material, but I think that there are places where the instructions are somewhat lacking. If either of the girls were trying to use this book on her own, there would be times when each would have difficulties. However, since I am ...more
Ileana Pacheco
Feb 25, 2015 Ileana Pacheco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and easy projects. Easy to follow instructions.
Emily
I think the title is a little misleading. Becuase I knew that all projects featured only sewing straight seams, which I can do, I assumed they would be a little easier than many in this book. Several are absolutely not for beginners, even if all seams are straight. But there are some really nice projects here. I've become a really big fan of the folded flower bowls on page 121 and have made several. I'd also like to make the One Hour Skirt (page 28) and I like the Staggering Strips Baby Quilt on ...more
Tracey
Nov 21, 2011 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
nonfiction/sewing. Recommended for beginners--love the clear illustrations and step-by-step instructions. Clothing patterns kind of blah--but provide excellent introduction to techniques: sewing with sheer, slippery fabrics like chiffon; sewing a standard zipper, sewing a fancy origami folded fabric trim (p. 74-75); sewing with denim; sewing with faux leather. I don't think I'll make any of these projects exactly, but I am inspired by some of the home/office projects.
Christine
Dec 23, 2011 Christine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any beginning sewer
Half of the projects are great - half are not so great. The book provides tips on working with some special fabrics and threads, as well as other things like zippers (which I have yet to do, but would love to try). I would have given it four stars because I liked a lot of the patterns, but in one of the pictures a top (Easy Breezy Blouse) clearly has a shaped hemline. That's not a straight line, so I took it down by one star.
Nupur
Aug 04, 2014 Nupur rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts
I borrowed this book from my friend Beth. The premise of the book is that each of the projects involves sewing only in a straight line, making is easier for beginners. I really liked the introduction and basic instructions portion in the beginning of the book. Some day, I'll get this book again and try sewing these projects: bucket tote, flower bowls, jewelry keeper.
Marcia
Nov 24, 2011 Marcia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts
This book contains ideas for clothing, home dec and accessories that can be sewed using straight seams. (beware--zippers and buttonholes are also straight lines! Not as simple as one may hope.) The projects are contemporary and the clothing require no patterns, just measurements.
Some neat ideas for bags and boxes. Fun to browse.
Louise
Good, but I can't say that it is ideal for the absolute beginner. I tried a chiffon shirt from a pattern in this book as only my 3rd sewing project ever and... well, it just didn't turn out quite right. The other patterns I used (cardigan & curtains) turned out fine though. The patterns were pretty easy to follow.
Dana
Oct 13, 2011 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy
I do some casual sewing and this book is right up my alley. I love the idea of sewing from your measurements without worrying about a pattern. All the projects look fun and modern! I give this four stars because I haven't tried any of the projects out yet, so I can't vouch for their accuracy and ease.
Polly
Aug 02, 2012 Polly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafted, quilting
This book gave me, a novice, the confidence to dust off my sewing machine and tackle new projects. The projects are very contemporary and are perfect for someone who likes to make hand-made gifts. Some of the instructions can be misinterpreted, so, a thorough reading goes a long way.
Crystal
Feb 12, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good variety of doable but modern projects.
Rachel
Jun 27, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It just occurred to me that the obscene amount of sewing books I've torn through this year count as books!

That said, I love the Sewing School Skirt. I will eventually fill my entire wardrobe with different patterned variations of that skirt.
Rebecca
Apr 07, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sewing
One of the best sewing books I have yet to read. The majority of the projects were surprisingly good, pretty, something I would want to create and written with great instructions. A great resource and some fun craft/sewing inspiration!
Sarah Cofer
Dec 13, 2011 Sarah Cofer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sewing
Cute projects, clothes just not my style
city girl tote
heavy metal bag is cute!
60 second belt
love the origami dress detail
folded flower bowls would be a great gift for someone
Tamara
Jun 02, 2012 Tamara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me: Nope, I'm still too lazy.

Sister: You should definitely make the folded flower bowls for photo shoots.

P.S. Would be a great resource for beginner/shy sewers.
Oceandreamer001
Jan 29, 2012 Oceandreamer001 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafty-books
Loved this! I'm a beginner seamstress (very beginner) and there are some great ideas in here, as well as easy to follow directions.
Suzanne
Mar 15, 2012 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft-lit, 2012
Great idea! Some crafty/quit things, some bags, some clothes, all different. The instructions were pretty clear too.
Kricket
i haven't actually tried any of the projects in the book yet, but i want to make the skirt on the cover.
Apr 01, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy projects...good instructions for someone with sewing experience. Not great for a beginner.
Uncertain about Binding 1 2 Sep 18, 2012 10:38AM
  • The Colette Sewing Handbook: Inspired Styles and Classic Techniques for the New Seamstress
  • Sew Serendipity: Fresh and Pretty Designs to Make and Wear
  • Simple Modern Sewing: 8 Basic Patterns to Create 25 Favorite Garments
  • Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • Growing Up Sew Liberated: Making Handmade Clothes and Projects for Your Creative Child
  • Sew Everything Workshop
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • Skirt-a-Day Sewing: Create 28 Skirts for a Unique Look Every Day
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching