Let's Eat: What Children Eat Around the World

Let's Eat: What Children Eat Around the World

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"I don't know about you, but I've always been really curious about what other people eat. Being nosy is how I've got some of my best ideas as a chef-and discovered some of my favorite things to eat." -From the Introduction to Let's Eat by Jamie Oliver, The Naked Chef

A beautifully photographed introduction to the
way children from around the world eat

What we eat says a lot...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published August 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Let's Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Eat

Gracie Guagenti
This book would be very useful in all grades. The information provided is accurate and written for all ages. The text is accented by real pictures of children and food that helps the reader to visualize what is described. This book follows 5 children from around the world and provides the reader with background information on each of them. It then describes what each child eats and what they do at celebrations.
Jessica Levitt
Again, I picked this book with the Grade 3 student in mind and their current unit of inquiry into the relationship between food and culture. This book, with an introduction by Jamie Oliver, provides the culinary habits of five children, from France, Mexico, South Africa, India and Thailand respectively. As well as informing the reader about the week day eating habits of the children, insights are given into how weekend foods differ, and there is a special occassion shared in each culture, includ...more
Gina Starling
Grades 2-5
Each chapter follows the child through a typical day, introduces the family, and features a special excursion or celebration. The final section includes a recipe related to each child's story and a glossary of food terms. Clear and often beautiful, the many color photos of the children, their communities, and their foods bring each culture into focus. In conjunction with the clearly written text, the pictures offer children a better understanding of differences and similarities among p...more
Ashley Correll
Children from France, Mexico, South Africa, Thailand, and India share their favorite foods. There are lots of photographs of how the children get their food, such as markets or collecting it, and food preparation. This book is good for a picture walk or for sharing excerpts with younger children. Recipes are included.
Debrarian
“Explores what five children living in South Africa, Mexico, Thailand, France, and India eat at mealtime with their families, how their families obtain and prepare food, what kinds of food may be eaten at celebrations, and what their favorite food is. Includes recipes.” Fascinating! And great pictures.
Wendy
A very interesting book to give children some perspective on the different eating habits around the world. A good book to read with your child and discuss. The only fault is the inclusion of the "special days" which seems forced and sometimes totally off topic.
Emily
A cute look at 5 different kids from around the world and what they like to eat, as well as where they get their food. Each child is featured in two days, a normal day and a special day. There is also a recipe in the back for each child.
I enjoy these glimpses of how children around the world live. I think they do a good job demonstrating how different things are. I hope to use something like this in a summer reading program on how and what kids eat around the world.
Christina
Really interesting and well-done book featuring a child from five different countries and what they eat. The book includes recipes, lots of photos, children's roles, and special occasions.
Linda Costello
This is a great non-fiction book. It has wonderful photographs and recipes.
Staci Tarra
Staci Tarra marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Lisa
Lisa added it
Mar 31, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Valinda Herrin
Valinda Herrin is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2014
Jessie
Jessie added it
Dec 13, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Scbrajer
Scbrajer marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Tara
Tara added it
Sep 05, 2013
Nancy
Nancy added it
Jul 14, 2013
Jasonandemily Smith
Jasonandemily Smith marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
Cindy Scott
Cindy Scott is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2013
Luz Munoz
Luz Munoz marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2013
Wake Up, World!: A Day in the Life of Children Around the World Our World of Water: Children and Water Around the World Sleep: The Easy Way to Peaceful Nights Sleep: The easy way for peaceful nights Let's Eat!: Children And Their Food Around The World