Start by marking “Gretzky to Lemieux: The Story of the 1987 Canada Cup” as Want to Read:
Gretzky to Lemieux: The Story of the 1987 Canada Cup

Gretzky to Lemieux: The Story of the 1987 Canada Cup

Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Coffey, Fuhr, all on the same team — in their prime. The greatest collection of hockey talent ever assembled, playing the games of their lives.

Three epic 6-5 contests between Canada and the Soviet Union decided the ’87 Canada Cup.

Canada evened the series, after the Soviets won Game 1, when Gretzky’s fifth assist of the game set up Lemieux’s hat t
Published November 19th 2008 by McClelland & Stewart (first published October 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Gretzky to Lemieux, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gretzky to Lemieux

Grace
Aug 17, 2016 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sports fans, Hockey fans
Perhaps it was my imagination, or perhaps my opinions were coloured by another book of his that I have read before picking up this one (The Rebel League), but I found this book to have a wry and affectionate sense of humour that made it easy to digest and thoroughly enjoyable when it could have easily been a dry and direct account of the '87 Canada Cup.

This book was lent to me with the highest of praises and recommendations by a fellow sports book-o-phile upon learning my interest in similar boo
David
Jul 07, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an entertaining, fun, easy read that definitely made me want to actually watch this series again. However, it tends to over explain particular plays, essentially recreating the play by play in a perhaps overly hyperbolic way. But only another viewing of this series would confirm that for me. I would have liked to have heard a few more side stories about other teams in the tournament instead of this and perhaps shortened the last chapter which was mostly about Alan Eagleson.
David Neal
Jan 06, 2014 David Neal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a great book for any hockey fan. Willes paints a clear picture of training camp, the selection process and of each game. He is also able to provide the details of Alan Eagleson's rise to fame with hockey Canada and his ultimate fall. A very quick read.
Joe Dykta
Mar 06, 2011 Joe Dykta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. As much as I hate to admit it, Gretzky helped Mario achieve greatness.
Jerry
Jerry rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Rob Trainor
Rob Trainor rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Wade Long
Wade Long rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Quincy
Quincy marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Kris Hansen
Kris Hansen rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Nathan Lajoie
Nathan Lajoie rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Brian
Brian added it
Feb 15, 2016
Evgeny Usachev
Evgeny Usachev marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Scott Goglin
Scott Goglin rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
bill
bill rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015
Laura Grace
Laura Grace rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2015
Paul Stein
Paul Stein rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Rob Trainor
Rob Trainor marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Sydney Stype
Sydney Stype marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Garrett Oppenheim
Garrett Oppenheim rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
Joseph
Joseph rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Jared
Jared rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2015
Daniel Rubin
Daniel Rubin rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Terry Ryan
Terry Ryan rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Zach
Zach rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2014
Fred Abbott
Fred Abbott marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Makenzie Dolnick
Makenzie Dolnick rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Sports columnist Ed Willes was born in Ottawa in 1955. Growing up, he moved across the country living in Ottawa, Montreal, Regina, Chilliwack, Toronto, Kingston, and Victoria. He remained in Ottawa to complete his third year of journalism BA at Carleton, but, alas, never obtained his degree.

Willes' first newspaper posting was for the Medicine Hat News in 1982 when he covered the WHL Tigers, minor
More about Ed Willes...