Start by marking “Burden of Blood (Blood Burden, #1)” as Want to Read:
Burden of Blood (Blood Burden, #1)

Burden of Blood (Blood Burden #1)

The second story but first full length novel in the Blood Burden series is Burden of Blood.

No one wants to know everyone’s darkest secrets, especially not police officer, Nicole Keenan. All she wants is a blissfully normal life in the small, Alabama town where she was born. But as generations of power running through her veins start to wake up, an ancient grudge is ignited
Nook, 1st Edition
Published July 28th 2011 by Wenona Hulsey

To ask other readers questions about Burden of Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burden of Blood

Tana
Jan 08, 2012 Tana rated it really liked it
Burden of Blood by Wenona Hulsey

Burden of Blood is a paranormal / urban fantasy novel and I will say a great addition to the genre. Wenona’s writing is phenomenal her character development was excellent and the words flowed so well that before you knew it you were at the end book.

Nicole is the main character in this novel, she is a strong independent woman and a police officer. Nicole loves her job and happens to be very good at it; she has a secret though that she keeps from everyone fearing t
Giovanni Gelati
Aug 02, 2011 Giovanni Gelati rated it it was amazing
Busy day, busy week, oh man,I have thought long and hard on what I want to try to say about this novel. Here is the thing, I am fortunate to read a lot of different stuff, not just in form but in genre. This novel just stands apart from anything I have read of late, what type of words should I use, how should I say it? Let’s get to the synopsis first and I can ponder it a bit more:
“No one wants to know everyone& their darkest secrets, especially not police officer, Nicole Keenan. All she wan
Natalie
Aug 13, 2011 Natalie rated it really liked it
I liked this book right from the beginning. Nicole is a smart, tough police officer with a very interesting ability. She can hear people's bad thoughts. This is really hard for her sometimes because she can only hear the worst in people, but still she manages to keep from going insane and uses her talent to help people. Her abilities grow stronger and change throughout the book as she learns more about her heritage.

Luke, her partner, complements her perfectly. He is understanding and kind, but f
Joey Butcher
Aug 05, 2011 Joey Butcher rated it it was amazing
When Wenona Hulsey approached me and asked me to read and review her first novel, I was thrilled. I’m not entirely sure what I was expecting, but Burden of Blood exceeded any possible expectations I could have had. It was like as soon as you thought you knew what was going on, a new character would come in or a new twist in the story would surprise you. The love story between Nicole and Luke will have you screaming at the book as you beg Nicole to give in, and realize it’s okay to let go and fal ...more
Nichole Chase
Jul 29, 2011 Nichole Chase rated it really liked it
New and Enjoyable! Paranormal fans should take notice.

Ms. Hulsey starts this book out with a really different type of heroine. She is tough, stubborn (to a fault), and hears the evil thoughts of people around her. Being the strong character that Nicole is, she uses her gift to fight evil, although it comes at great personal risk.

There are some big twists in this book-- Things that I did not see coming. And the men? Well, lets just say you shouldn't read the book somewhere you will be worried ab
Emme
Aug 02, 2011 Emme rated it really liked it
I've finally finished Burden of Blood by Wenona Hulsey. I'm glad I saved it for my mini-vacation this weekend because it was nice to sit down and read a book from start to finish, without interruptions.

If you're familiar with my reviews you know that I don't do synopses-- you can get that info from the book's page at Amazon or Barnes & Noble, no? I like to give my honest impressions of a book in my reviews, and that's what I'm going to do here.

I really liked this story! I was introduced to N
Beverly
Aug 27, 2011 Beverly rated it really liked it
My thoughts:
Wow! This is one of those books where you wish that the characters were real people! It would be amazing if we had police that could hear thoughts! It would take the mystery out of deciding guilt. It would be even more amazing if a man like Luke actually existed!
The characters are fantastic and for the most part drive the story. Nicole is a great character. Tough, seasoned cop with new found "super" powers that she has to not only learn to control, but learn to fight with - she beco
Roxanne Rhoads
Aug 27, 2011 Roxanne Rhoads rated it really liked it

This book instantly has me asking questions- what's she doing, what's going on, how does she have these abilities, what is she?

So of course the questions made me dive right in so I could get my questions answered. I wish I would have read Blood Awakening first, this might have answered a few questions - or at least introduced me to Nicole's powers. But this is a great stand alone. I don't think I missed much by not reading the first book.

Burden of Blood was a quick read that kept me clicking the
Kevin J Mackey
Aug 18, 2011 Kevin J Mackey rated it it was amazing
Let this serve as a warning.

Before the reader opens this book, she (or he) should strap herself in tight because the roller-coaster starts early on and doesn't let up until it runs off the end of the story leaving the reader demanding "What happens next?"

A flawed heroine, with serious power. Strapping, sexy and sage (sorry - in-joke), if snarky protectors. A story of love and friendship set against a battle raging through the ages. What's not to like?

Ms. Hulsey has built herself a world in which
Toni
Aug 07, 2011 Toni rated it it was amazing
This is the prelude to her new book Burden of Blood. This is an excellent book for new author, Wenona Hulsey.

Shortly after the death of her Mother, Nicole and her best friend Kat take a short trip to Panama City, FL to escape the pressure and have some fun. After waking up on the beach, Nicole knows something is different, but she isn't sure what is happening to her.

I enjoyed this short story and it sets you up for the series. I am waiting on pins and needles for the next in her series!
Ali Woodhams
Aug 24, 2011 Ali Woodhams rated it it was amazing
i really enjoyed this book. When i started reading i thought it was going to be a murder mystery book but got a nice surprise to find the supernatural elements thrown in.
i was hooked and found i couldn't put it down.
Susan
Aug 08, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A very good first book with an intriguing plot premise. I look forward to the next book in the series....
Mandy
Jul 29, 2011 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011, arc
I received an ARC of this book to review for GeekMom.com
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
Feb 19, 2012 Faye {Daydreaming_Star} rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
** this review was first posted on my blog; here **

If there is one thing that Wenona Hulsey can do, it’s grabbing the audience’s attention from the very first chapter. From the start, this novel pulls the reader into the action and truly sets up the scene for the rest of the book. Instantly you are shown how much strength the protagonist has and how good she is at her job, but you’re also shown a world that isn’t quite normal. It is just such a brilliant way to start a novel as it really just pu
Sandy S
Jun 19, 2012 Sandy S rated it really liked it
BURDEN OF BLOOD (Blood Burden series) by Wenona Hulsey

BURDEN OF BLOOD is the first book but second storyline in Wenona Hulsey’s paranormal/urban fantasy Blood Burden series. If you are interested in the series, I would recommend reading the prequel novella Blood Awakening, which explains how the heroine Nicole discovers that she has an unwanted ability to hear ‘evil’ thoughts.

Nicole Keenan is a small town cop with an impeccable record of finding and arresting the bad-guys. What her fellow law en
Buffy Kennedy
I found out about Wenona Hulsey through a YA author, so I had assumed that her stories were going to be YA too. When I read the novella, Blood Awakening, I noticed the characters weren 19t teenagers, but still didn 19t quite know what to expect from Burden of Blood. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that it was an adult paranormal romance book. You get sexual tension, a wicked villain with minions who are just as bad, and you get a powerful 13 if somewhat reluctant 13 heroine.

The story star
Buffy Kennedy
Mar 19, 2012 Buffy Kennedy rated it liked it
I found out about Wenona Hulsey through a YA author, so I had assumed that her stories were going to be YA too. When I read the novella, Blood Awakening, I noticed the characters weren’t teenagers, but still didn’t quite know what to expect from Burden of Blood. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that it was an adult paranormal romance book. You get sexual tension, a wicked villain with minions who are just as bad, and you get a powerful – if somewhat reluctant – heroine.

The story starts off
Phaedra Seabolt
Jan 25, 2014 Phaedra Seabolt rated it really liked it
It took me a little bit to really get into this book, but honestly I don't know that it had anything to do with the book being that I have a three week old. I expected to story be an obvious continuation of the prequal Blood Awakening, but it takes place a few years later. You get most of the information from Blood Awakening spread through out the story. You really don't have to read them in order to understand what is going on. That said, this one has our main character Nicole as a police offic ...more
Lynn Worton
May 01, 2012 Lynn Worton rated it it was amazing
Nicole Keenan is a police officer in a sleepy county town. She is one of the best officers in the department. However, she is in denial about her secret "gift". All that is about to change when an ancient grudge catapults her into danger, and allows the power hidden within her to burst free. Her police partner, Luke has a few secrets of his own. Will Nicole be able to control her power to help the ones she loves?

This is a fantastic paranormal story that took me on a roller-coaster ride of action
Hydra Star
Apr 02, 2012 Hydra Star rated it really liked it
Nicole is a small town Southern police officer with a big secret, and she doesn’t even know the half of how deep this secret goes. Nicole can hear people’s thoughts, but not just any thoughts. She can only hear the evil or criminal thoughts of the the people near her. This comes in quite handy in her line of work, but also isolates her from the world. She will not allow herself to have romantic feelings for anyone. She is unwilling to bring a lover into her strange and paranormal world, because ...more
Tishia (Paperback Opinion)
Burden of Blood is about a police officer named Nicole who can hear the bad thoughts of those around her. What better super power is there for a cop to have, right? You know if someone around you has done something, or is going to do something illegal. Despite the good things that Nicole is able to achieve with this ability, she sees it as a burden.

As Nicole's ability grows stronger, and she finds out what she is, she falls deeper and deeper in danger. Her loved ones are in danger as well, and t
Aimee
Aug 15, 2011 Aimee rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
The beginning of the book really hooked me. It really interested me when Nicole was able to hear all of the evil thoughts around her and was able to take that and do something with it. Like, say, arrest them. Plus Luke isn't bad for man candy!

It did take on a twist I wasn't expecting and had plenty of excitement until the end of the book. Nicole seems to be a bit of a loner, but not by choice. So it was hard to see her push everyone away at different points, the rest of the story made up for he
Catherine Gordon
Oct 08, 2012 Catherine Gordon rated it it was ok
Nicole can hear other people's "evil thoughts" which is pretty handy if you are a police officer although difficult to explain why you know something is going to happen before it goes. Isolating herself due to her "gift" she is attracted to her handsome partner who she has known for years but keeps at a distance, focusing on fighting drugs crime in her small town until someone tries to kill her and then everything changes. Entertaining enough although the guy in the kilt (Scots men only) with th ...more
Stephanie
Dec 03, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I started the series with the short Blood Awakening. It was a good read that left me longing for more. In Burden of Blood, Nicole can hear the evil thoughts of those around her. This really helps out her career as a police officer, but makes for a cruddy social life. She soon learns that this 'gift' of hers is part of her heritage. Along with this insight,comes the fact that there is is more to her than she first believed. She also discovers that Luke, her long time partner at work, is her own p ...more
Amy Lynn
Oct 28, 2012 Amy Lynn rated it it was amazing
After reading Blood Awakening, I could not wait to read Burden of Blood. Wenona's ability to describe characters and the scene has the reader feeling like they are part of the book and can actually visualize the scene. An author who can describe things that well has me putting them on my favorites list. This book was a quick read for me since I could not stand to put it down. I wanted to know what would happen between Nicole and Luke! There were quite a few surprise twist and turns throughout th ...more
M.J
May 25, 2013 M.J rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic
Ok, so I only gave it 4 stars because I found the start of the book to be very slow, that and I absolutely hated the ending. Now I know that it continues in Blood of Fire but I still felt that it should have had a better ending. Now on a good note; I really liked the story. I found Luke to be a very lovable character - even with his messed up history. Rhys, I found, was hilarious, his accented dialog gave him a believable Irish edge. I also loved that the book is based strongly on Irish folklore ...more
Sharon
Aug 05, 2012 Sharon rated it liked it
2 1/2 stars. Fairly basic storyline. Woman police officer in a small town discovers she has special powers. All characters in the book are either in love/lust with her or out to get her. Discovers where her powers originate from, and has to rescue the two people she loves most in the world. Let down by poor editing.
Judy
May 11, 2012 Judy rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Nicole can hear the bad thoughts people have, which aids her in her job as a police officer. Unfortunately, she doesn't like her 'gift'. However, the time has come to either accept her abilities or die trying. The book kept my attention and the sexual tension between Nicole and Luke was good. Definitely worth a read.
Pamela
Oct 19, 2012 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Being from the small town that Wenona Hulsey writes about made this book even more interesting to me. Knowing the streets that Nicole ran and the store with the bench out front she stopped at pulled me in to the story. The charactors , their abilities, and the whole story pulled me in even more. Wonderful short story series.
Maryalice
Jan 01, 2013 Maryalice rated it really liked it
The book started a little slow and I started to put it down, but pushed on and am glad i did. An action book with a little romance that isn't a romance. I could tell it wasn't going to end like I would expect it to end, but at the same time I wasn't sure.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Giveaway Today until 8 pm 1 6 Jul 15, 2012 11:21AM
  • Nemesis: The Death of Timmy Quinn
  • Monsters: A Bloody Love Story (The Bloodless, #1)
  • The Evil Within
  • Blood and Loss (Cassandra Myles, Witch, #1)
  • The Brevity of Roses (Bay of Dreams, #1)
  • Cursed!
  • Spellbound (Legend, #1)
  • Dark Season: The Complete Third Series (All 8 books)
  • Forbidden Blood (Vampire Venator, #1)
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • Faery Born (The War Faery Trilogy, #1)
  • Cameron's Law (Adelheid, #1)
  • Dangerous Designs (Design, #1)
  • Doorway to the Triquetra (Children of Atlantis, #1)
  • Keeper, part 1 (Hidden Bloodlines #1)
  • The Gates (Resistance, #2)
  • Destiny Unchained (Shadows of Destiny, #3)
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)

Blood Burden (3 books)
  • Blood Awakening (Blood Burden, #0.5)
  • Blood of Fire (Blood Burden, #2)