Start by marking “The Story of Hanukkah” as Want to Read:
The Story of Hanukkah

The Story of Hanukkah

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"No celebration of Hanukkah would be complete without recounting the events of more than two thousand years ago that the holiday commemorates. In a simple yet dramatic text and vibrant paintings, the story of the courageous Maccabees and the miracle that took place in the Temple in Jerusalem is retold"--Amazon.com.
Hardcover
Published 2011 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Hanukkah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Hanukkah

Samantha Holler
The Story of Hanukkah by David A. Adler is an historical fiction and informative picture book on the history of Hanukkah. This book gives us insight on Judaism and how Hanukkah is celebrated as well as related things to our present time. The last very pages feature how some may celebrate and some recipes to try out for those readers who really want to continue celebrating the holiday. This book also include directions on how to play the dreidel. This book tells the story of Maccabees and everyth ...more
Chelsea Gail Smith
The Story of Hanukkah by David A. Adler and illustrated by Jill Weber is a informative picture book on the history of Hanukkah. Religion is always a touchy subject when it comes to the public education system, but I think this book is a good education tool. Around the holidays many religions are being celebrated, and children need to know about the different holidays and religions. I liked this book because it teaches the history of Hanukkah and gives some background information on Judaism.I am ...more
Rbettermann
A historical information text that is beautifully illustrated by Jill Weber. A very easy and understandable book for children in teaching them about the tradition of Hanukkah. I would use maps to identify where Israel is; the setting where this took place, bring in a dish called Latkes; a food that is eaten during Hanukkah and there is also a game called Dreidel that could be played with the students that is enjoyed during Hanukkah. I would recommend this book for grades 2-4.
Kay Ray
The story of Hanukkah by David A. Alder explains a lot of history behind the Jewish religion. Coming from a christian background I personally learned about a few differences in how they go about celebrating during holidays. Alder gave us insight on Judaism and how Hanukkah is celebrated as well as related things to our present time. Discussing this book with others we agreed this book might be touchy to have in a public school system, however it would be good for students to learn about more tha ...more
J. Jefferson
Vibrant illustrations tell the story of Hanukkah in simple words. At the rear of the book are the direction for playing dreidel and a kid-friendly recipe for latkes.
Brickell Dotson
Great holiday book that is also informative.
Chantee Jordan
Filled with bright illustrations and a story that simplistic enough for younger readers this is a great cultural picture book. The book tells the story of how and why those that celebrate Hanukkah do so. The last very pages feature how some may celebrate and some recipes to try out. The book was indeed enjoyable. I feel both younger readers will be drawn in by the pictures in a read aloud while older readers will stay tuned for the story.
Carla Pelayo
David Alder's book describing the events that led to the Jewish celebration of Hanukkah is entertaining and informative. Weber's folk style illustrations allow readers to empathize with the ancient events in the story. Alder includes Jewish words and definitions in the story as well as a recipe for Latkes, a traditional Jewish dish and instructions on how to play Dreidel, a traditional Jewish game.
Sydney
A short story about the history of Hanukkah. I love the recipe for Latkes and the instructions of how to play the Dradle game.
Shelli
As usual David Adler writes a non-fiction book in a way that is easy for young readers to understand and learn from.
Polly
Nothing special, but nice pictures.
Damon Stalvey
Damon Stalvey marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Ali D
Ali D marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Anna
Anna added it
Dec 15, 2014
Pinky Lao
Pinky Lao marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Ann Mctaggart
Ann Mctaggart marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Indeah Diggles
Indeah Diggles marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Caroline Wood
Caroline Wood marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Stephanie Beavers
Stephanie Beavers marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Dominique Lucart
Dominique Lucart marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Adler was born in New York City, New York. He graduated from Queens College in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics and education. For the next nine years, he worked as a mathematics teacher for the New York City Board of Education, while taking classes towards a master's degree in marketing, a degree he was awarded by New York University in 1971. In that same year, a question from his then- ...more
More about David A. Adler...
The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1) The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3) The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2) The Mystery of the Television Dog (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4) The Chocolate Fudge Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #14)