Start by marking “The Good Thief's Guide to Venice: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Good Thief's Guide to Venice: A Mystery

The Good Thief's Guide to Venice: A Mystery (Good Thief's Guide #4)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  453 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Charlie, a gentleman thief to rival Cary Grant in To Catch a Thief, gallivants around Venice in The Good Thief's Guide to Venice--the next caper in Chris Ewan's sparkling series.

After a particularly bad streak of luck in Vegas, Charlie has retreated to Venice, having vowed to give up a life of crime to write crime fiction full-time. But inspiration has yet to strike. And t
Published August 2nd 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Thief's Guide to Venice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Thief's Guide to Venice

Julie H.
I'll confess to having pulled Chris Ewan's The Good Thief's Guide to Venice off the new fiction shelf because I liked the looks of its cover. Having finished it, and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'll now definitely locate and read its three predecessors. While not quite the equivalent of Lawrence Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr, Ewan's Charlie Howard is a mystery/suspense writer whose protagonist engages in enough legerdemain to suggest his author is not unfamiliar with the fine art of burglary. The interes ...more
Ronna
Charlie is a good thief but a bad experience in Vegas has sent him to Venice to write his detective stories. He's promised his agent, Victoria, to stay on the straight and narrow. Then he gets a visit by a beautiful burglar who has taken his first edition MALTESE FALCON. To get his book back, she sends him on a strange mission. Then all the troubles really begin.

The book is just plain fun to read. The writing is excellent, with the best descriptions of people, places and things that I've read in
Monica
Imagine that Agatha Christie and Lawrence Block (or maybe Donald Westlake)had a love child who wrote books about a thief turned crime fiction writer who writes each of his books in a different city and manages to get into a fix in each. In Venice, a curvy blonde cat burglar abseils into his apartment and makes off with his talismanic signed first edition of The Maltese Falcon. She blackmails him to commit crimes for her if he wants to get it back. Silly but harmless.
Michelle
This is the first book in the series I've read, bought mostly for its setting. I'm not sure I'll go on to read more as I'd best describe it as mediocre. I was waiting for a surprise to keep me interested, but any twists seemed to be so implausible that I stopped caring. The characters were underdeveloped (possibly expected to read others in the series first, so fair enough).
It's alright for a book in the car but not exactly exciting.
Sharon
I listened to the audio version of this and as usual Simon Vance's narration was of an excellent standard. I enjoy listening to him and his accents and m/f voices are always spot on. There is no need to read the books in order and there is always a bit of a recap in the book as to what has happened up to date but without the author spoiling previous books for you if you haven't read them. This book opens with Charlie and Victoria in Venice and Charlie has gone straight. Then a twist of fate and ...more
Catherine Woodman
This was a diversionary murder mystery, with a protagonist who is a glib thief, as well as an author. he switches between teh two professions throughout the book, and that certainly makes this a different sort of mystery as a result. I liked it, my husband liked it more--it is a quick read, to be sure. I would certainly read another.
Joyce
Very much enjoyed this book! It reminds me of the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency series in that it is light, genteel with spots of humor. Would definitely make a pleasant TV series.
Amy Cockram

For a fuller review of the series, please check out my blog http://cornishamy.blogspot.com/2011/1...

This is the 4th in a series with the central character of author and burglar Charlie Howard. In this book he is living in Venice and trying to eschew burglary in favour of his writing career. However, he is quite missing the adrenaline thrill of robbery and he is precipitated back into a life of crime when a prized item of his own property and used to blackmail him into action.

This is probably my
Readerone
Charlie is a retired thief turned crime novelist who is forced by a mysterious blonde to return to his nefarious ways, only this time he will be breaking into a Venetian mansion to return an item, rather than steal one. Complications ensue.

Like one of the earlier reviewers, I picked up this book primarily because of the cover. I'm not sure that's the best way to pick books. Someone else called it unputdownable. Well, whilst I was reading it, I had no problem putting it down. I put it down many,
Carmen
He's back and still trying to write stories in which he writes about things he has done. IT isn't going well though because for the first time it isn't art imitating life. Then his inspiration, his muse, the signed first edition of the Maltese Falcon is stolen. The woman who stole it blackmails him into helping her thwart a murder. Funny at times, this book brings adventure and humor together.
Nicole Gozdek
4. Buch einer Serie - da weiß man als Leser schon, was man zu erwarten hat. So ging es mir auch bei diesem neuen Krimi von Chris Ewan. Eine neue Stadt, ein neuer Roman, neue Probleme und der Rückfall des Neuautors in seinen alten Job als Einbrecher. So weit so gut. Nicht falsch verstehen, ich MAG die Krimis von Chris Ewan. Sie sind unterhaltsam und gut geschrieben, die Polizei spielt eine erfrischend geringe Rolle und die Hauptfigur ist symathisch. Nur warten seine Romane inzwischen für den vert ...more
Shannon
Not sure if it's because this was set in Venice or not but I liked this one in the series the best. Victoria is involved but to a lesser extend than before but it's in a good way. This story revolves around a convoluted request by a mystery woman for Charlie to 'return' something to a Count but he has to do it in a reverse burglary scenario. Ewan does a really good job of planting seeds to send you thinking in one direction and then changes things up. While it's completely frustrating sometimes ...more
Melissa
Not impressed. First I am not impressed by thieves and Ewan seems to think his character is a nice guy but sorry he is a criminal and not very smart as he does some really dumb things in this book. First one in this series I read and will be the last.
Lynn Dee
I really enjoyed Charlie's wit...Her calming words might have been more effective if she hadn't been wearing a Venetian death mask (sorry, its hard to do an exact quote with an audiobook). I will definitely be listening to or reading the other books in the series.
Miranda
I picked up this book off of a discount table at my favourite Victoria bookstore, Munro's. The novel was a fun read and I read it quickly! A great find from a great book store.
Melissa Abbott
Wonderful writer/burger who done it set in Venice. Beguiling writing style, sexy and thoughtful characters with the usual good thief twists and turns.
Louise
These are so entertaining. Maybe a little formulaic, but really enjoyable - especially as audio book read by Simon Vance. I will listen to the rest of the series too , and look for the next.
Rachel
Entertaining enough. I might pick up the others in the series if I happen upon them but would not seek them out.
Tammy
Thoroughly enjoyed Simon Vance's reading of this book. I laughed out loud at various parts and enjoyed the reappearance of Victoria. Enjoyable read.
Anne
Chris Ewan's fourth entry in the Good Thief's Guide series continues its winning streak with the story of master thief and author Charlie Howard. Charlie and his agent Victoria find themselves drawn into an elaborate heist and casino caper in damp and atmospheric off-season Venice. You can start this series at any point and all four mysteries are equally entertaining. For fans of light, humorous mysteries and classic cat burglar capers; similar in tone to Donald Westlake's Dortmunder series and ...more
Jeannette
This was my first book in Ewan's Thief Series. I checked the audio version out on a whim and was delighted to hear the voice of a really good reader - Simon Vance. In his clever voices, Vance tells the silly story of a thief cum mystery writer and his encounters with various villains and others in always fascinating Venice. I enjoyed it though I have to admit the main character's endless sidetracks and under and overstatement (for effect) bored me at times. But the cute twists at the end made me ...more
Seth Lynch
Another finely crafted novel from Chris Ewan. This one twists and turns like the streets of Venice themselves. Enjoyed the ending too.
Lindsey
I enjoyed this book, it was a bit slow for me in the beginning, but towards the middle it picked up. I definitely Loved the ending! This was the first book I read of this series and it made me want to go back and read the books before it. Altogether a good read.
Christian Devries
A good novel in this series.
Dillon411
Great book. I really enjoyed it the whole way through.
Bonnie Carruth
when I put this book on hold I thought it is THE BOOK THIEF'S GUIDE TO VENICE. Since my book club is going to read THE BOOK THIEF I thought maybe it is a sequel? shows you I should wear my glasses when I am on the computer! but serendipitously I am enjoying the good thief Charlie immensely.

This is a lively romp through Venice with an engaging hero. Since Charlie is a writer, when he is not stealing, the author has fun discussing one of Charlie's and then doing the same thing in his book.Lots of
Cathy
I continue to enjoy Chris Ewan's "Good Thief" series. It's a fun, easy to read series, with a good mystery, a bit of danger and very likable main characters. I love Charlie (the thief/author) and I'm glad to see Victoria (his publisher) has a main role in this book as she did in the Las Vegas book. It's fun to watch them get into and out of various scrapes and whether or not their friendship will ever become anything more. My vote is yes, but I'm a romantic sap. Good book, 'can't wait for the ne ...more
Rhonda
I will have to read the others, pretty good!
Nicki
I really enjoyed this Good Thief novel, the first in the series that I could get from the library. I like the style the author writes in as it's very easy to read. The main character is charming even though he is a thief/author. they were lots of twists and turns in the novel and I didn't have clue where it was heading and who was involved. I definitely want to read the other books in the series.
Suitable for teenage boy? 2 5 Nov 21, 2013 01:11PM
  • Blood Lines: Kallen's Tale (Witch Fairy, #3.5)
  • The Lost Daughter
  • The Book of (Holiday) Awesome
  • Maigret's Rival
  • The Marseille Caper
  • Schmitz' Katze
  • The Counterfeit Guest
  • The Traveler
  • Sailor Moon Box Set 1 (Vol. 1-6)
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 12: Agatha Heterodyne and the Siege of Mechanicsburg (Girl Genius #12)
  • Return to the Olive Farm
  • The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3)
  • Ä
  • World's Greatest Sleuth!
  • Rip Tide (Liz Carlyle, #6)
  • The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People with Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss in Later Life
Born in Taunton in 1976, Chris Ewan now lives on the Isle of Man with his wife Jo and their labrador Maisie.

Chris’ debut novel, THE GOOD THIEF’S GUIDE TO AMSTERDAM, won the Long Barn Books First Novel Competition and is published in paperback by Simon and Schuster. THE GOOD THIEF’S GUIDE TO PARIS, is due to be published in the UK in February 2009 and in the US in November 2008.

More about Chris Ewan...
Safe House The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam (Good Thief's Guide, #1) The Good Thief's Guide to Paris (Good Thief's Guide, #2) The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas (Good Thief's Guide, #3) The Good Thief's Guide to Berlin (Good Thief's Guide, #5)