Start by marking “The Immigrant's Daughter (Lavette Family, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Immigrant's Daughter (Lavette Family, #5)

The Immigrant's Daughter (Lavette Family #5)

In this triumphant conclusion to the Lavette saga, Howard Fast brings the story up to the present, to the fourth generation. As Dan Lavette dominated The Immigrants, so his eldest child, Barbara, is the focus of this wide-ranging and passionate novel.

After a life filled with danger, love and death, Barbara, now in her sixties, is living a simple life in San Francisco. And
Published December 31st 1985 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Immigrant's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Immigrant's Daughter

Even if this series is composed by 6 books and I started to read through the fifth one, I am considering as reading the whole series. Nothing extraordinary brings me further interest in completing the whole saga.
Carolyn Pina
Jul 11, 2016 Carolyn Pina rated it liked it
This was Book 5 of The Immigrant Series, and I found it somewhat disappointing. The preceding four books, I liked very much -- so to find this one lacking surprised me.
Feb 16, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do love this series about the Lavette Family!

Although Fast originally planned this book, published in 1985, as the last in the series, he went on to write "An Independent Woman," published in 1997.

"The Immigrant's Daughter" opens on Barbara Lavette's 60th birthday in 1974. Son Sam is an orthopedic surgeon.

Much of this installment is devoted to Barbara's Congressional campaign as an anti-war candidate in San Francisco's 48th district where a Democrat has never been elected. Her campaign -- not
Sep 26, 2009 Graceann rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of series, fans of historical fiction
In what was originally planned as the conclusion to the Lavette Saga, Barbara Lavette runs for public office and learns some interesting things about herself and her family. THE IMMIGRANT'S DAUGHTER was intended to conclude this sprawling family series, but Howard Fast came back several years later with AN INDEPENDENT WOMAN.

Barbara finds herself growing ever older and more confused, as the people she has loved for most of her life pass on, and her son becomes more of a stranger to her. She loses
Sep 21, 2014 Carolynne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Barbara Lavette, a grieving widow in her sixties, is living a simple life in San Francisco. A strongman in the local political scene pressures her to run for Congress. She loses again and again, but he keeps pressuring her to run.

Meanwhile, she resents everyone in her family for marrying people she considers beneath her, often due to their race. In fact, the very obvious racism and classism in this book really detracted from the story. Barbara's son wants to be close to her, but does nothing but
Terri Hardy
Jun 05, 2010 Terri Hardy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last of The Immigrant's series, this book left me hanging with not a very cohesive ending, but I have subsequently learned there is another "conclusion" written years later. Although I am deeply involved with all the characters, this book left me feeling a bit depressed; too many allusions to aging, getting old, feeling useless. Although these realities are confronting Barbara Lavette, I feel that age is not looked upon as "drying up" , as she feels even in the setting of the 1980's. I've co ...more
Sep 12, 2010 Rita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is actually a five series book starting with the Immigrant By Howard Frost. I was given these books by a patient of my husbands to read. I really did'nt think I would like it but I was pleasantly surprised. I read one after another. The Immigrant, Second Generation, The Establishment, The Legacy, The immigrants Daughter. People loved Barbra Levette (The immigrants Daughter) so much he wrote a book about her called An Independent Woman. If you find the time read these books they are ama ...more
Jul 25, 2014 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've just leaned that there is a sixth book in this series, but I don't think I'll read it. While I enjoyed the previous four, the fifth started to annoy me. I could tell it was a man writing a woman's voice and it was just a little too much about how old Barbara Lavette is and about how she isn't attracting men any more.
Sep 13, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books
This was the 5th book in the Lavette series. I found it was a little too political and hanging on all the events of the last four books. Barbara Lavette runs for Congress, still looking for love, and still fighting for her causes. This was my least favorite books of this series.
Jun 28, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put this series down once I started reading it. I was given the first three books in this series as a gift and was hooked as soon as I started reading them. I could not wait for the 4th book of this series to be published!
Mar 25, 2009 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This whole series about the early history of San Francisco is very entertaining and fascinating....a must read
Fiorella E
Fiorella E rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Kim Bontempo
Kim Bontempo rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Laurie Beaulieu
Laurie Beaulieu rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Dani Joyce
Dani Joyce rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Chaya rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2008
Joni rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Charles Fuss
Charles Fuss rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Karen Galfo
Karen Galfo rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2013
Mdb rated it liked it
May 14, 2013
Monica Lisker
Monica Lisker rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2016
Sherry rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2012
Paula rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Jay Rattien
Jay Rattien rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Karen Zimmer
Karen Zimmer rated it really liked it
May 25, 2012
Wanda rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2015
Rose rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Shelley rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2012
Adrienne rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2014
Baumer rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: please, add cover 2 13 Jul 17, 2013 08:28AM
  • Come Pour the Wine
  • Swan's Chance (Wild Swan Trilogy, #2)
  • California Gold
  • Harvest
  • The Informed Heart
  • Secrets & Surprises
  • The Legacy of Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #3)
  • The Old Neighborhood
  • Steamboat Gothic
  • Ideas and Integrities: A Spontaneous Autobiographical Disclosure
  • Philippine Society and Revolution
  • Mary Magdalene, Bride in Exile
  • The American Revolution
  • Midnight Alley
Howard Fast (1914–2003) was one of the most prolific American writers of the twentieth century. He was a bestselling author of more than eighty works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and screenplays. The son of immigrants, Fast grew up in New York City and published his first novel upon finishing high school in 1933. In 1950, his refusal to provide the United States Congress with a list of possible ...more
More about Howard Fast...

Lavette Family (6 books)
  • The Immigrants (Lavette Family, #1)
  • Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2)
  • The Establishment (Lavette Family, #3)
  • The Legacy (Lavette Family, #4)
  • An Independent Woman (Lavette Family, #6)