Start by marking “Black Wood (A Witch Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
Black Wood (A Witch Rising, #1)

Black Wood (A Witch Rising #1)

Witches, trolls, nymphs and Silverfurs are surely the figment of one’s imagination. That’s what Emily Jones used to think until she moves to Scotland shortly before her fourteenth birthday to live in her deceased grandmother’s manor. Ravencourt Manor's just as creepy as she remembers it with plenty of creaking noises, rattling doors and a hunched shadow that roams the ...more
Published July 30th 2011 (first published July 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Black Wood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Wood

Angelfall by Susan EeBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireThe Vampire Hunter's Daughter by Jennifer Malone WrightEmber by Madison DanielBirthright by Willow Cross
Best Independent Novels
215th out of 2,472 books — 3,423 voters
Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
348th out of 731 books — 3,143 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel S
Aug 03, 2011 Rachel S rated it it was amazing
This goes on my favourite list next to many such as Harry Potter and Twilight! I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes mythical stories that keeps you guessing! This might be written for young teens, but I had to read this after I read the story is about witches and Scotland, both which fascinate me. All in all, it was a fast easy read and deserves more than 5 stars but alas that’s the max so I give it a 5 stars and my 2 thumps up!
Julie C
Aug 03, 2011 Julie C rated it it was amazing
This is what I get for trying out new books: a hidden real gem.I was glued to my seat the whole time. Where do i start?
First of all, this is a great new teen fantasy book with a promising start to a trilogy. When 13 year old Emily Jones moves with her father to Scotland after her parent's devastating break up, she is being given a mystical diary where every word written makes her wishes come true. By using this diary, Emily opens a portal to a dark and dangerous world and meets a powerful witch,
LouiseC.
Aug 22, 2011 LouiseC. rated it it was amazing
When Emily receives a magickal diary that makes her wishes come true, she knew that magick can change her life. What she didn't know was that change can be for better or worse and that the serious, real-life danger would start the moment when magick opens a portal to a magical world.
Now danger follows her everywhere and Emily no longer knows if she can trust anyone. In Black Wood, she must learn spells, embrace her powers and enter the other world where evil rules the world. This was a great st
Bonny
Aug 22, 2011 Bonny rated it it was amazing
First it should be said I am an adult and a harry potter fan. I remember the first time I heard of harry potter and its ever increasing popularity I remembered I rolled my eyes as it was considered a children book between age 9-12. But I loved the movie and after I read it myself, I swore to myself never now to judge a book by its cover no matter what age group it was. So I decided to give this book a try and I must say although it doesn't beat harry potter, it comes very close to it. I loved ...more
Julie
Aug 23, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
My daughter reports she loved it and is eagerly awaiting the second book in the series. I also enjoyed it a lot and found the writing beautiful with plenty of vivid description. The story of Emily who finds out she's a witch and now has to enter Black Wood was fast-paced and entertaining. I laughed and held my breath as Emily moved from one adventure to the other, meeting fantasy figures as she battled evil. A captivating story that will appeal to teens and young adults.
Vicky
Aug 08, 2011 Vicky rated it it was amazing
For 99 cents how could I resist to buy it. To my pleasant surprise in return, I found a wonderful talented writer and a great story. I sure enough wanted to have this diary - which makes wishes come true if you write them down- that is, till I read what happened. All in all, a very good read and I would recommend this as summer read.
Mary
Aug 05, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
After I read a job from hell, knew I had to buy a witch rising to read on my kindle and was not disappointed!! It's very thoughtfully constructed.Started slow then pulled me in. Once it got going I kept on reading and reading until i reached the last page which left me there thinking and wanting to read more wondering just what will happen next in the black wood series.
Kitty Honeycutt
Sep 04, 2011 Kitty Honeycutt rated it it was amazing
"BLACK WOOD" BY JAYDE SCOTT

I was intrigued from the beginning, this story was very well written and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story was about a young girl named Emily that has moved to Scotland with her father after a split with her mother due to irreconcilable differences. Ravencourt Manor is a source of both good memories of her grandmother and a some pretty spooky happenings. At 14 years of age she not only has to deal with her parents break up, she soon finds out that she's the only hope
Anne
Aug 14, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing
quick read. loved it..even if it is for younger readers...a good in between books type of book. worth the money.
Christine
Aug 07, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing
I read this book yesterday and I loved every minute of it. Hard to put down, leaves you wanting for more.

Jayde Scott
Aug 14, 2011 Jayde Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-m-the-writer
I wrote this story a few years back when I was into witches, magic and Latin.
Zak Oglesby
Feb 29, 2012 Zak Oglesby rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Fairly good, though nothing to really rave at. A YA book to be certain.
Cathy  Keaton
Aug 15, 2011 Cathy Keaton rated it liked it
I'll start by saying that I really liked the characters in this short novel. Emily might not be one of the most interesting ones, but her older brother Sam was hilarious and breathed life into the story. I liked Aurelie and her nephew, Clifford, as they were eccentric and creepy to Emily until more was discovered about who they were.

I think this story functions really well as Middle Grade reading material and not as strictly Young Adult teen fiction. Parents could allow their young children to r
Patricia Puddle
Sep 08, 2011 Patricia Puddle rated it it was amazing
I really liked this story. Emily, a thirteen-year old girl is taken to Scotland by her father after family problems. They move into a spooky old mansion called Ravencourt Manor that was once owned by the dead grandmother. Emily misses her brother, Sam, who is left back with the mother, but when she's given a secret diary by a strange woman, she is able to make wishes and summons her brother to Ravencourt. The story is quite creepy and I'm sure children would love to read this just before going ...more
Echo
Feb 01, 2012 Echo rated it it was ok
I couldn't get into this book. Nothing really happened in the first half, and most of the story is from a bird's eye view. I feel I would have liked this when I was younger, but looking at a paranormal teen book it didn't work. It didn't really explain how magic worked in this world, the characters were rather boring and unfleshed out, and to top it off there was no climax. Where there should have been a big battle scene there was a minor difficulty, and then everything resolved in under 10 ...more
Mindi
May 21, 2016 Mindi rated it did not like it
Shelves: hells-no
As with many free or very cheap ebooks, this is a DNF for me. I have read worse, but really, life is too short. I made it through 5 chapters of vague characterization, random plot, and not enough background to keep me interested. There's too much telling and not enough letting the story unfold, with huge fill-in-the-gaps story line, accelerating the plot before it's ready. Frankly, I have better things to read.
Sherry
Jan 03, 2012 Sherry rated it liked it
Its fine. Not so great for me. But because I already started it might as well continue to read the next one. Am just wondering how come the main character never thought of asking her new friend why he wanted her to open the portal? Thay's how the story begun in the first place for me. Oh well. The story is fine if you won't think of how it all transpired in the first place.
JD
Nov 09, 2011 JD rated it liked it
Cute, imaginative spin on the genre. Very junvenile spin on everything. From cover art and brief descriptions couldn't descern target audience was tweens. Read anyway. Will not buy sequel in series, don't care about charecters. Curiously, at time of purchase for $0.99 bought two more by author. One about divorce and one set in Brazil about vodoo. Hopefully, they will be a little juiceier.
Dawn Embers
May 21, 2014 Dawn Embers rated it liked it
Shelves: own, ebook
2.5 stars. I like the idea and the story has potential but seemed like it needed a little more work to me. I stumbled through and then halted at the end. And it seems more middle grade than YA. So, if you like girl trying to help family dealing with trolls and evil queens, this might be okay but don't expect the best in story telling. It's a good try at least.
Nicole
Dec 26, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
Cute story about a young girl who discovers that she is a witch that has to save the world. It was a little short for me, but it was still good. It will be interesting to see where the second book takes you.
Jenn Doyle
Dec 19, 2011 Jenn Doyle rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
For the most part I liked Emily. It would have been nice to have some more backstory on Black Wood and Emily's grandma. Aurelie teetered between creepy neighbor lady and helpful teacher, but I never really got a good feel for her. If the second book is on sale I might get it.
Janelle
Jan 08, 2013 Janelle rated it it was amazing
Honestly, loved it. It is another teen series, along the lines of the Harry Potter series.
It was page-turning good. I read the first book in an afternoon. Easy to care about the characters and get invested in what happens next, which makes it a fun read.
Shari Davis
Jan 04, 2013 Shari Davis rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-own
This story was just ok for me. I felt like the author rushed through the story and could've gone into more detail.
Sandy
Feb 12, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paige, 2012
Fun fantasy. Emily didn't know the truth about her grandmother until she had to move away from her London home to live in her grandma's creepy, old house.
Janelle
Jun 04, 2013 Janelle rated it it was ok
It wasn't bad just very juvenile. Read like a children's book. Simple characters and you knew what would happen a mile away. I think this should be a children's book or a book for reluctant readers.
Delly
Feb 04, 2014 Delly rated it really liked it
it's good want part 2
VICKY DIEHL
VICKY DIEHL rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Laura rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Whitney
Whitney rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2012
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Gifts
  • Warriors of the Cross (Warrior, #1)
  • Agartha's Castaway - Book 1 (Trapped in the Hollow Earth, #1)
  • Velvet Ball and the Broken Fairy
  • Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys: True Tales of Love, Lust, and Friendship Between Straight Women and Gay Men
  • Finding Forever (Finding Forever, #1)
  • Until Again: The prequel novella to Blue
  • Red Velvet and Absinthe
  • Eye Contact (The Conditioned #1)
  • The Demon Kiss (Of Witches and Warlocks, #2)
  • Central (Daughters Of Saraqael, #2)
  • Amaretto Flame
  • Beautifully Broken (#1)
  • The Gift of Fury (Count Albritton #2)
  • Flicker & Burn (Cold Fury, #2)
  • Shimmerspell (The Shimmer Trilogy, #1)
  • Kiss the Crystal Sun
  • Grounded (The Airborne Saga, #2)