Black Wood (A Witch Rising, #1)

Black Wood (A Witch Rising #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Witches, trolls, nymphs and Silverfurs are surely the figment of one’s imagination. That’s what Emily Jones used to think until she moves to Scotland shortly before her fourteenth birthday to live in her deceased grandmother’s manor. Ravencourt Manor's just as creepy as she remembers it with plenty of creaking noises, rattling doors and a hunched shadow that roams the mano...more
Published July 30th 2011 (first published July 29th 2011)

Angelfall by Susan EeBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireThe Vampire Hunter's Daughter by Jennifer Malone WrightEmber by Madison DanielBirthright by Willow Cross
Best Independent Novels
211th out of 2,255 books — 3,157 voters
Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
344th out of 724 books — 3,056 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel S
This goes on my favourite list next to many such as Harry Potter and Twilight! I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes mythical stories that keeps you guessing! This might be written for young teens, but I had to read this after I read the story is about witches and Scotland, both which fascinate me. All in all, it was a fast easy read and deserves more than 5 stars but alas that’s the max so I give it a 5 stars and my 2 thumps up!
Julie C
This is what I get for trying out new books: a hidden real gem.I was glued to my seat the whole time. Where do i start?
First of all, this is a great new teen fantasy book with a promising start to a trilogy. When 13 year old Emily Jones moves with her father to Scotland after her parent's devastating break up, she is being given a mystical diary where every word written makes her wishes come true. By using this diary, Emily opens a portal to a dark and dangerous world and meets a powerful witch,...more
Bonny
First it should be said I am an adult and a harry potter fan. I remember the first time I heard of harry potter and its ever increasing popularity I remembered I rolled my eyes as it was considered a children book between age 9-12. But I loved the movie and after I read it myself, I swore to myself never now to judge a book by its cover no matter what age group it was. So I decided to give this book a try and I must say although it doesn't beat harry potter, it comes very close to it. I loved th...more
LouiseC.
When Emily receives a magickal diary that makes her wishes come true, she knew that magick can change her life. What she didn't know was that change can be for better or worse and that the serious, real-life danger would start the moment when magick opens a portal to a magical world.
Now danger follows her everywhere and Emily no longer knows if she can trust anyone. In Black Wood, she must learn spells, embrace her powers and enter the other world where evil rules the world. This was a great st...more
Julie
My daughter reports she loved it and is eagerly awaiting the second book in the series. I also enjoyed it a lot and found the writing beautiful with plenty of vivid description. The story of Emily who finds out she's a witch and now has to enter Black Wood was fast-paced and entertaining. I laughed and held my breath as Emily moved from one adventure to the other, meeting fantasy figures as she battled evil. A captivating story that will appeal to teens and young adults.
Mary
After I read a job from hell, knew I had to buy a witch rising to read on my kindle and was not disappointed!! It's very thoughtfully constructed.Started slow then pulled me in. Once it got going I kept on reading and reading until i reached the last page which left me there thinking and wanting to read more wondering just what will happen next in the black wood series.
Vicky
For 99 cents how could I resist to buy it. To my pleasant surprise in return, I found a wonderful talented writer and a great story. I sure enough wanted to have this diary - which makes wishes come true if you write them down- that is, till I read what happened. All in all, a very good read and I would recommend this as summer read.
Kitty Bullard
"BLACK WOOD" BY JAYDE SCOTT

I was intrigued from the beginning, this story was very well written and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story was about a young girl named Emily that has moved to Scotland with her father after a split with her mother due to irreconcilable differences. Ravencourt Manor is a source of both good memories of her grandmother and a some pretty spooky happenings. At 14 years of age she not only has to deal with her parents break up, she soon finds out that she's the only hope...more
Anne
quick read. loved it..even if it is for younger readers...a good in between books type of book. worth the money.
Christine
I read this book yesterday and I loved every minute of it. Hard to put down, leaves you wanting for more.

Zak Oglesby
Fairly good, though nothing to really rave at. A YA book to be certain.
Jayde Scott
Aug 14, 2011 Jayde Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-m-the-writer
I wrote this story a few years back when I was into witches, magic and Latin.
Cathy  Keaton
I'll start by saying that I really liked the characters in this short novel. Emily might not be one of the most interesting ones, but her older brother Sam was hilarious and breathed life into the story. I liked Aurelie and her nephew, Clifford, as they were eccentric and creepy to Emily until more was discovered about who they were.

I think this story functions really well as Middle Grade reading material and not as strictly Young Adult teen fiction. Parents could allow their young children to r...more
Patricia Puddle
I really liked this story. Emily, a thirteen-year old girl is taken to Scotland by her father after family problems. They move into a spooky old mansion called Ravencourt Manor that was once owned by the dead grandmother. Emily misses her brother, Sam, who is left back with the mother, but when she's given a secret diary by a strange woman, she is able to make wishes and summons her brother to Ravencourt. The story is quite creepy and I'm sure children would love to read this just before going t...more
Dalesia Sayers
it's good want part 2
Echo
I couldn't get into this book. Nothing really happened in the first half, and most of the story is from a bird's eye view. I feel I would have liked this when I was younger, but looking at a paranormal teen book it didn't work. It didn't really explain how magic worked in this world, the characters were rather boring and unfleshed out, and to top it off there was no climax. Where there should have been a big battle scene there was a minor difficulty, and then everything resolved in under 10 page...more
Dawn Embers
2.5 stars. I like the idea and the story has potential but seemed like it needed a little more work to me. I stumbled through and then halted at the end. And it seems more middle grade than YA. So, if you like girl trying to help family dealing with trolls and evil queens, this might be okay but don't expect the best in story telling. It's a good try at least.
JD
Cute, imaginative spin on the genre. Very junvenile spin on everything. From cover art and brief descriptions couldn't descern target audience was tweens. Read anyway. Will not buy sequel in series, don't care about charecters. Curiously, at time of purchase for $0.99 bought two more by author. One about divorce and one set in Brazil about vodoo. Hopefully, they will be a little juiceier.
Sherry
Its fine. Not so great for me. But because I already started it might as well continue to read the next one. Am just wondering how come the main character never thought of asking her new friend why he wanted her to open the portal? Thay's how the story begun in the first place for me. Oh well. The story is fine if you won't think of how it all transpired in the first place.
Jenn Dattilo Watts
For the most part I liked Emily. It would have been nice to have some more backstory on Black Wood and Emily's grandma. Aurelie teetered between creepy neighbor lady and helpful teacher, but I never really got a good feel for her. If the second book is on sale I might get it.
Janelle
Honestly, loved it. It is another teen series, along the lines of the Harry Potter series.
It was page-turning good. I read the first book in an afternoon. Easy to care about the characters and get invested in what happens next, which makes it a fun read.
Nicole
Cute story about a young girl who discovers that she is a witch that has to save the world. It was a little short for me, but it was still good. It will be interesting to see where the second book takes you.
Janelle
It wasn't bad just very juvenile. Read like a children's book. Simple characters and you knew what would happen a mile away. I think this should be a children's book or a book for reluctant readers.
Sandy
Fun fantasy. Emily didn't know the truth about her grandmother until she had to move away from her London home to live in her grandma's creepy, old house.
Sarah Harian
This read like middle grade? The protagonist definitely didn't act like fourteen years old, so I was put off from the beginning.
Shari Davis
This story was just ok for me. I felt like the author rushed through the story and could've gone into more detail.
Amanda
Great, imaginative book for teens. The language is age appropriate. Very good cliffhanger ending.
Alexandria
It wasn't really what I was expecting, but it was a quick read and fairly good.
Doreen
I am on chapter 5. Love love love love it. i am hooked!!
Mikael
Too vague, short and well, just okay.
  • Kiss the Crystal Sun (Spellbound Trilogy, #2)
  • Of Sun & Moon (Midnight Guardian, #1)
  • Wayward (The Witch Wars Saga #1)
  • Agartha's Castaway
  • The Angels Are Here (Paradox, #1)
  • Ascent (The Party Series, #1)
  • Witchcraft (Witchblood, #2)
  • Unbound (All Good Things #1)
  • Warriors of the Cross (Warrior, #1)
  • An Everlasting Bite (The Blue Bloods, #1)
  • Shimmerspell (The Shimmer Trilogy, #1)
  • Blood Tide
  • Honalee (Witches of Honalee, #1)
  • Darkness & Light (Holloway Pack, #1)
  • The Gifts
  • Red Velvet and Absinthe
  • Crushed: The Witch-Game Series
  • Central (Daughters Of Saraqael, #2)
A Job From Hell (Ancient Legends, #1) Doomed (Ancient Legends, #2) Voodoo Kiss (Ancient Legends, #3) Dead And Beyond (Ancient Legends, #4) Shadow Blood (Ancient Legends, #6)