Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Carnival Crime” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Carnival Crime

Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Carnival Crime (Encyclopedia Brown #27)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Ten exciting new adventures for the famous boy detective!
Everyone's favorite fifth-grade gumshoe is back on the case! Following the classic Encyclopedia Brown formula, this installment presents ten mysteries, complete with answers at the end of the book that allow the reader to solve the cases along with the boy detective. Join Encyclopedia Brown as he takes on cases of
Published October 1st 2011 by Puffin Books

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Carnival Crime

Monique
Funny quotes!! "They were so underhanded that sometimes they had trouble raising their arms over their heads." Pg 12,

Again, love this classic detective series!
midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 2 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 15 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Amadeus
These were some of my favorite books when I was a kid and so I wanted to re-read. These are so great for building reading skills while developing critical thinking skills. I remember going on a big mystery kick for several years because of these. Thank you, Donald Sobol.

P.S. Would these be called Wikipedia Brown if first written today? ;)
Eric Schreiber
I really enjoyed Encyclopedia Brown when I was growing up, I had a lot of fun reading them again with my eldest daughter, and now my middle daughter is interested - this is the first I've read with her being directly interested. As always, ten stories, each with a little twist to use to figure out what happened. My only complaint is that it seems more stories than normal are about older kids trying to steal from the little kids, most often with some get-rich-quick scheme. I wish that, for once, ...more
Maddy
Mar 21, 2013 Maddy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Virginia
I loved these books as a kid. Now that I think about it though, this isn't so much about a clever Sherlockian piecing together of clues, as it is about being able to spot inconsistencies in stories. Save for the one about the Spanish map and the museum janitor, Encyclopedia Brown solved cases because the perpetrator was a terrible liar, and usually talked too much. People who lie with too much detail eventually let something slip, or use an inaccurate detail, and that gives them away.

So remember
Logan
Logan is still loving these short little mysteries that the reader gets to solve.
Marissa Morrison
I'm so glad my daughter is into this series of books! Unlike most novels for this reading level, there's no obnoxious bullying, bad words to pick up, or people picking on their little siblings. Each case has a criminal, to be sure, but the culprit readily admits wrongdoing and either slinks off or tries to make amends. All the characters here are polite; Encyclopedia doesn't even gloat while accusing his peers of criminal activities.

With 10 mysteries to solve, this book enables kids to test the
Anna
Little monkey went and read this one without me. Feels like she's sneaking around with books now!
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Claire
Claire added it
Aug 28, 2015
April
April added it
Aug 23, 2015
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Noelle Leader
Noelle Leader marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Cassandra Wade
Cassandra Wade marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Red
Red marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Joycelynn Witherspoon
Joycelynn Witherspoon marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Broken Song
  • Peete and Repeat (The Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries, #3)
  • Cam Jansen and the Wedding Cake Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #30)
  • An Owl's Whisper
  • Find the Constellations
  • When the Library Lights Go Out
  • Snivel: The Fifth Circle of Heck
  • Pig Latin--Not Just for Pigs! (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #14 )
  • File Under: 13 Suspicious Incidents Reports 1-6
  • The Ghost Of The Chattering Bones (The Boxcar Children, #102)
  • To Catch a Mermaid
  • Hothead
  • The Secret Science Project That Almost Ate the School
  • Keeper of the Doves
  • Olivia Bean, Trivia Queen
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • The Adventures of Caterwaul the Cat: Feline Pie
  • Dead Low Tide (The Caden Chronicles #3)
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)
Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1) Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2) Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5) Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2) Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)