Start by marking “Trois carrés rouges sur fond noir” as Want to Read:
Trois carrés rouges sur fond noir

Trois carrés rouges sur fond noir

«- Vous savez, on peut mêler l'histoire de la criminalité à celle de la peinture. Au début, on peignait comme on tue, à main tue. L'art brut, on pourrait dire... L'instinct avant la technique. Ensuite est intervenu l'outil, le bâton, le pinceau. Un beau jour, on s'est mis à peindre au couteau. Regardez le travail d'un Jack l'Éventreur... Et puis on a inventé le pistolet. P ...more
Paperback, Folio policier (n° 49), 240 pages
Published May 1st 1999 by Gallimard (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Trois carrés rouges sur fond noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trois carrés rouges sur fond noir

Ubik 2.0
Un noir decente

Piuttosto originale questo noir parigino, per come è strutturato (senza eroi, senza detective se non in ruolo alquanto defilato, senza femme fatale, senza sparatorie) per la verosimiglianza dei personaggi e per gli ambienti abbastanza inconsueti (gallerie d’arte e sale da biliardo).
Termina un po’ in calando, proprio quando comincia a fare concessioni ai cliché del genere, ma per buona parte del suo breve (meno di 200 pagine) percorso si mantiene interessante e senza che il lettor
Quentin Feduchin
Complex and abstruse. You need real determination to follow it.

As an Englishman one relies on the translator; assuming she is faithful, it shows Benacquista has a habit of assuming you're following him. He introduces new ideas assumptively, if you don't follow you lose; indeed it's a good idea to be ready for this because he isn't going to backtrack and update you.. You can imagine him saying "keep up man!"

Even the fact that a search is going on, that there is any element of revenge isn't someth
Rog Harrison
The blurb on the back of the book badges this as a black comedy but I did not find any humour in it at all. There are some sly digs at modern art but the story did not quite make sense to me. I have another one of the author's books to read next so I wonder what I will make of that one.
Tricia
Dec 11, 2008 Tricia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Although I found the main character a bit foreign to me, for the most part I enjoyed this book. His decisions and life are not related to me, but they were suited to who he was as the writer intended. I was thoroughly surprised by the events early in the book that led the direction of the rest of the novel, and the rest of the book kept up a fairly lively energy. I think the pace could have been a bit more even, and the ending was a bit farcical, but the writing/translation were solid.

I have bee
Suzy
Jul 01, 2009 Suzy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime story lovers
Recommended to Suzy by: picked up at library
Query from Pale House re Goodreads hit me at the perfect moment; I've just finished a good book by French mystery author Tonino Benacquista, "Framed", 2006, trade paper, about the modern art world in Paris. Clever, stylish, concise, and very satisfying! Judging by cover comments, the author has acquired a rep for "black comedy" with violence, but I found this book much more than that; I admire the writer's close observation, deftly done without stuffing pages and story with unwanted detail, and ...more
Maddy
Sep 22, 2013 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
PROTAGONIST: Antoine Andrieux
SETTING: Paris
SERIES: #3 of 4 (1st translated into English)
RATING: 3.5
WHY: A picture hanger by day, Antoine Andrieux dedicates himself to his true passion, billiards, at night. His hopes of achieving master status are dashed when his right hand is amputated during a theft from the art gallery. His search for the perpetrator leads him to the past and a group of rebellious artists. The plot meandered a bit while he explored the fate of these artist. In a nice twist, A
Emma Todorovich
this was by far the stupidest book I've ever read.
Pierre-André
Feb 17, 2016 Pierre-André rated it liked it
My first benacquista
Vitaly Dubrovner
Jul 13, 2013 Vitaly Dubrovner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ещё один отличный роман от Бенаквисты.
Интрига чуть более прозрачная, как оказалось, нежели в других его вещах, но основная ценность не в этом.
Замечательное описание внутреннего мира главного героя, да и людей вокруг него.
Современное искусство, правда, похоже, не сильно "вдохновляет" литератора, как-то жестко он с ним. Впрочем, может, это тоже игра...

Короче, рекомендую однозначно.
Laurent
May 06, 2013 Laurent rated it liked it
Un vol, un assaut, une mutilation, un mystère, une intrigue dans le mileu de la peinture moderne qui débute bien mais qui se perd au fil du temps dans une enquête digne des "Cahiers de l'Art". Prometteur donc mais baclé, avec une fin au lyrisme caricatural.
James
May 09, 2013 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, crime
Ok but not the dark savage satire of the modern art world. Not funny either so all in all either the author is just not that good or the translator slaughtered it. I suspect the former.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Carole Gingras
Carole Gingras rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Chipslover
Chipslover rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Michael Berdan
Michael Berdan rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Sa
Sa rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2016
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Ilya Puchkovsky
Ilya Puchkovsky rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2016
Helene Mercier
Helene Mercier rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Brownie
Brownie rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2016
Alexander
Alexander rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Davy
Davy marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Mireille Asselin
Mireille Asselin rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
CyrYel
CyrYel rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Roman Gulyaev
Roman Gulyaev rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Adrien
Adrien marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Dolore
Dolore marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
  • Poor Little Witch Girl
  • Music, in a Foreign Language
  • My Family's Role in the World Revolution: and Other Prose
  • Clarissa
  • Shackles (Nameless Detective, #16)
  • Meurtres pour mémoire