Start by marking “Omu Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Omu Spirituality

Maureen Uche

Omu Spirituality

The book focuses on the religious perspectives of Omu women who are Mystics found in the traditional African region of Aniocha-Oshimili Local government area of Delta state, Nigeria. The author discusses their religious practices, ideas and values.
Nook, 74 pages
Published July 11th 2010 by Porter's Place Inc

To ask other readers questions about Omu Spirituality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Omu Spirituality

Judy Croome
Jun 16, 2011 Judy Croome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr Maureen Uche’s glimpse into the spiritual practices of the Omu women is both fascinating and challenging. Listing ancient spiritual values of African holy practices, which still have relevance for the modern Western women, this is also a surprisingly feminist text, emphasising the power of women at the same time it proposes that today’s women could integrate the spirituality of the Omu mystics into their daily lives as a way of finding a life that is more spiritual than materialistic. The dis ...more
Ab
Apr 06, 2012 Ab rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is organized well and provides readers with new and interesting information on the topic of Omu Spirituality.

The author’s goal seemed to be to educate the general American population on important topics, which Americans might not be familiar with. Overall, I believe she succeeded, because I learned a lot from reading this book.

I did feel, however, that the book would be strengthened if Dr. uche could add some more basic information about the regions she was discussing. For example, I
Barry
Apr 06, 2012 Barry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author’s tone was emphatic and strong, which was appropriate for the topics she was writing about. Some men may object to the author’s statement that the female sex is superior, but I think that such a statement is OK in this type of personal book.

I focused my efforts on learning the innovative ideas. This book shows how America women can learn from innocent Omu women who are loyal to unique African practices. I enjoyed this book a lot because it shows how celibacy triumphs over perversion.
Ab
Apr 15, 2012 Ab rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Kelly
I have to say, while this book was a concise introduction to Omu Spirituality - a topic rarely explored- I wish Ms. Uche would have delved further into the topic rather than cut herself off at 74 pages. With that said, this book would probably be better suited as a companion piece or for those who aren't sure if they'd like to commit to more substantial reading from other resources.

To be honest my only real complaint was the editing. The grammatical mistakes were so profuse that I spent a good p
Derick
Jun 22, 2012 Derick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Religious practices of Omu women is both engaging and remarkable. Recording historical religious beliefs relating to African sacred practices, which still have significance for the modern Western women, this is also a unexpectedly feminist writing, placing the power of women at the same time it proposes that today's women could integrate the spirituality of the Omu mystics into their daily lives as a way of finding a life that is more spiritual than materialistic. The topic on physical nudity as ...more
Diane
Feb 28, 2012 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was confused by the writing style used by the author. I felt the material was presented in a teaching outline or a model to be used in a classroom. The information was factual, linear and logical in outline. Yet, the book seemed to be written with the intent to reach a wider audience than scholars or academics. The style felt cold, patriarchal. This was a book about women mystics, their spirituality, and their influence on their society within their part of the world in Nigeria. I would have w ...more
Glenn
Aug 09, 2012 Glenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really helpful for those individual who are curious about the spiritual life of native Nigerian. Maureen is the key source to answer this curiosity. This book is successful attempt to discover the hidden lifestyle, religious practices, ideas and values of all individual and also the mystic living in Nigerian. Once you read this book you literary love and appreciate how unique and exotic the people living in here. This book is very informative and remarkable for all historians and al ...more
Dovid
Apr 06, 2012 Dovid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Omu Sprituality, is set in present day Nigeria. It brings to contrast the disparity between progressive African communities and regressive western minds/communities. It depicts the different faces of spirituality, feminism and brings to light various cultural ideas associated with African religions, and is able to pin point multiple other societal practices. It is surprising that these issues have not been discussed before in other book. For example, the author had passage where she referred to ...more
Zacky
Jun 06, 2012 Zacky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omu Sprituality in the present day of Nigeria. It depicts the different faces of spirituality, feminism and brings to light various cultural ideas associated with African religions, and is able to emphasize other societal practices. It is surprising that these issues have not been discussed before in other book. For example, the author had passage where she referred to the sacredness of the women's breast and referred to men touch and respecting the woman's breast. Anyone interested in other pra ...more
Chloe Ledesma
May 25, 2012 Chloe Ledesma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great glimpse on Omu spirituality .It focus on The ancient spiritual values of African women and their holy practices which is still relevant to today's modern Western women, the text used is surprisingly feminist- emphasizing that women are superior.This is a Great read not only to those who are in interested on African culture but also to women like me.
Chloe Ledesma
Zacky
Jun 11, 2012 Zacky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It brings to contrast the disparity between progressive African communities and regressive western minds/communities.It depicts the different faces of spirituality, feminism and brings to light various cultural ideas associated with African religions, and is able to pin point multiple other societal practices.
Rhian Benitez
Jun 26, 2012 Rhian Benitez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Omu spirituality is set in present day Nigeria. It brings to contrast the imbalance between advanced African communities and atavistic western communities. It shows the different faces of spirituality, feminism and brings to light various cultural ideas associated with African religions, and is able to pin point multiple other societal practices.
Charlotte
May 30, 2012 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned so much about omu mystics, their spirituality, and their influence on their society within their part of the world in Nigeria. I now have have a better and greater understanding of this society.
Charlotte
May 30, 2012 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vanessa Narciso
May 25, 2012 Vanessa Narciso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book focus on Omu Spirituality and traditional practices that aren't written on some history books.This is a very good reference if you want to explore African culture more!
Derick
Jun 26, 2012 Derick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Brief but useful information regarding omu spirituality the book is comfortably separate so that it can quickly find the topic most needed without reading the the complete book.
Martin Coco
May 29, 2012 Martin Coco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A concise introduction to Omu Spirituality - a topic rarely explored.
Julia Reese
Jun 22, 2012 Julia Reese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

You will have a clear view of various religious practices of Omu spirituality and will have a great familiarization of Aniocha,Nigeria as well.
Vanessa Narciso
May 23, 2012 Vanessa Narciso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great resource for those studying anthropology. You will learn Nigerian culture and religion and you'll enjoy reading it because its written in narrative way.
Julia Reese
Jun 13, 2012 Julia Reese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a 74 paged book which is full of great information on omu spirituality-I'm so engaged reading it-It was very well written and you'll definitely enjoy reading it.
Rommel Suliguin
May 20, 2012 Rommel Suliguin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book!! The author makes some excellent points regarding women in omu spirituality. A quick but well-researched content.
Aepril
Dec 21, 2011 Aepril marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to win this book in the Goodreads giveaway, but I never received it. I contacted the author, but got no response so far. I hope that I still get it sometime, so I can read and review!
Rommel Suliguin
A Short but informative book-The sections are nicely divided so that a person can easily find the topic most needed without reading the entire book. Highly recommended
tara
May 21, 2012 tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This enlightening work is not to be missed!
tara
May 21, 2012 tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very informative and well written book
Richard
Jun 22, 2012 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is very valuable.Informations on Omu spirituality has never been discussed by other authors. This is an Excellent resource for those who are studying Anthropology and Religion.
Ana Rae
May 23, 2012 Ana Rae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book is one of the best way to understand the african culture-A must read to anyone who plans to visit Africa
Ana Rae
May 21, 2012 Ana Rae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read several of Maureen Uche’s books and once again, she has created an informative, inspirational, and up-lifting piece of literature.
Omu Spirituality: Women as Essential Mystics 1 6 May 24, 2011 11:31AM