Start by marking “Bridge to Terabithia” as Want to Read:
Bridge to Terabithia

Katherine Paterson

Bridge to Terabithia

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  306,534 Ratings  ·  7,762 Reviews
Jess Aarons' greatest ambition is to be the fastest runner in his grade. He's been practicing all summer and can't wait to see his classmates' faces when he beats them all. But on the first day of school, a new girl boldly crosses over to the boys' side and outruns everyone.

That's not a very promising beginning for a friendship, but Jess and Leslie Burke become inseparable
Paperback, Teacher's Edition
Published May 1996 by Harper Trophy (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Bridge to Terabithia, please sign up.

Cassidy The best part of this book is Jess and Leslie's friendship. More specifically, the important impact that it has on Jess's life in the end of the book.…moreThe best part of this book is Jess and Leslie's friendship. More specifically, the important impact that it has on Jess's life in the end of the book. The fact that Leslie is such a positive presence is the reason Jess is able to cope with the horrible troubles he is faced with in the end of the book. Also, as a whole, this book doesn't have any one dimensional characters. For example Jess's teacher and bully both have their own hardships that they are also trying to overcome. (less)
Stella I read this book by sitting and listening to Jess Aarons telling me the story of Terabithia because that makes it seem more real, and I would not want…moreI read this book by sitting and listening to Jess Aarons telling me the story of Terabithia because that makes it seem more real, and I would not want to live in a world without Jess Aarons and Leslie Burkes. No one does.(less)

Elaine
Aug 20, 2007 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 9-100
When I read this in fourth grade, I loved it because it was enchanting, and reminded me very much of 'secret hideouts' I made with friends at the same age. When I read it again later in life, aloud to my younger brother and sister ages 10 and 12, I was choking back tears to keep reading aloud, and they were crying. If you've never read it (or, I suppose now, seen the movie) beware, this review is a spoiler! What I have learned from this book is that our assumptions about children and what is "ap ...more
Lola
Oct 05, 2015 Lola rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, meh

The movie is far more worth it.
Elizabeth
Aug 15, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids
thefourthvine
Jun 04, 2007 thefourthvine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-teen
This is one of the books that taught me that Books Can Hurt. It was part of what I now consider to be my fourth grade teacher's reign of terror - she read Where the Red Fern Grows and Bridge to Terabithia out loud to us (and those are just the books I was in her class for), and I seriously think she did it for the days when, inevitably, the entire class would spend the afternoon weeping at our desks.

That said, though - and it needed to be said - this is a good book; it was so engaging to me at t
Alejandro
Apr 18, 2014 Alejandro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
This is absolutely a great book. I loved to read it!

I don't know if you ever watch the film from 2007, if you do, but you haven't read the book, I can tell you that the movie is a good adaptation BUT it can mislead you in the "fantasy" factor, even I used that label in my review but only because, at this moment, I don't have a better label to describe the book in a fair way.

I tell you all that since in the film, they gave a lot of emphasis and screen time to all "those magic creatures", however,
Khanh (the Grinch)
Even when I was 12, I thought this was a crap book.

What's with all the hype? This was so fucking boring. I read this in 6th grade, during a time when I was prone to sobbing at anything. We watched Ben Hur in class and I cried like a baby. I don't even remember why.

We read Where the Red Fern Grows aloud in class and I was sobbing in front of everyone. I didn't shed a single fucking tear for this book.
Jon
Mar 30, 2008 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle school curriculums
Shelves: children-s-lit
Kirk
Feb 11, 2011 Kirk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
There are only two books that have made me cry. Granted, I was in sixth grade when I read this for the first time. But like most books I review on Goodreads, I sat down to read this again before posting my review. My sentiments about Bridge to Terabithia haven't changed much.

I don't remember a lot from my pre-teen years. Little fragments crop up from time to time when I see an old commercial on Youtube or I play an 8-bit classic on my Wii. This book I remember. And as I re-read it I started reca
Cait Grace
No, I'm not crying. There's just a log in my eye.

Okay, so I read this YEARS ago. Maybe when I was 14? I saw the movie first and that absolutely ruined me. I think this is about my 3rd reread, which proves this book is timeless. As well as, you know, heart ripping. I thought I'd be okay reading this. BUT I WASN'T. I JUST WAS NOT. I JUST ABOUT CHOKED UP WHEN THE DAD SAID:
"Lord, boy, don't be a fool. God ain't gonna send any little girls to hell.

I don't know why. But I really just started crying t
Thom
Mar 22, 2011 Thom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bridge to Terabithia -

I'm a grown man and I cried the duration of the last fifty pages. I gave this book five stars, here's why:

It is absolutely incredible that a writer can invent a character, and bring him to life so convincingly that we find some of our deepest emotions aroused when we read black words on a white page. I was amazed at how deeply I felt towards some the characters in this book...fictional characters!

Character development is absolutely masterful in Bridge to Terabithia. It is
Denise
Apr 23, 2008 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lines I loved:

Lark Creek was the backwash of fashion. It took them a long time to accept there what everyone could see by their TV’s was OK anywhere else.

It made Jess ache inside to watch his dad grab the little ones to his shoulder, or lean down and hug them. It seemed to him that he had been thought too big for that since the day he was born.

It was the beginning of a new season in his life, and he chose deliberately to make it so.

Gary Fulcher could go to you-know-where and warm his toes.

Even a
Macarena
A pesar de haber conocido la historia a través de esa película con Josh Hutcherson, fue un libro que disfrute demasiado. Es increíble el desarrollo de Jesse a partir de que conoce a Leslie y me conmueve d runa manera u otra lo que el amor inocente puede hacer y como la vida te puede quitar todo en un segundo.
Por alguna razón me recordó mucho a Looking for Alaska y no se si será cierto que se parecen o que pero vi muchas similitudes y eso me encanto.
Puedo verme releyendo este libro porque fue inc
Rob
Dec 31, 2008 Rob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids who want their hearts broken.
Shelves: fiction
K.D. Absolutely
May 03, 2014 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Jzhunagev, Joyzi
Shelves: ya
Sara
Sep 02, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan

For the record I am not an outwardly emotional person. Okay, let me get that right. I can be a bubbly energetic or excited individual from time to time. Of course, that isn't what I meant. I'm quite a content, optimistic kind of person so I am emotionally driven - very much so. What I mean to say is that I thrive in my life as a laconic, down to earth kind of person. I'm laid back and when it comes to outward expressions of emotion I tend to internalise. I would still consider myself an extrover
Res
School Library Journal Best Book of 1977
Lewis Carroll Shelf Award, 1978
Le Grand Prix des Jeunes Lecturs (France), 1986
1986 Colorado Blue Spruce Young Adult Book Award

Note also that on the American Library Association Reading List: Bridge to Terabithia (along with Tuck Everlasting) is one of six books recommended for 9-12 year-old children. This is especially heartening sin
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
I have been challenged to
write a rhyming review.
I began to think....
What book should I do?
How 'bout a favorite just for you.

Jess likes to run
but not just for fun.
He's wanted so long to be #1.

To outrun them all,
be the best in the fall.

He has practiced all summer,
Oh Man! What a bummer!

She came up so fast
like a blast from the past.

She outran the boys,
like they were playing with toys.

Such was the way that Jess had met Leslie.

In spite of their start,
they became hard to part,
finding they both
had a gra
Laurel
Dec 31, 2008 Laurel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
I enjoyed revisiting this childhood classic. I first read it at the recommendation of our local librarian when I was in 5th grade. I remember being a bit annoyed with her afterward because it made me cry. Hearing the story now 26 years later and knowing what to expect, I still got teary-eyed.

The audio version contains an interview with the author and her son, which I found quite interesting. Having first read the book at age 10, I didn't pay much attention to the dedication page. Apparently, tho
Mangrii
Jun 10, 2015 Mangrii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta historia, que ya conocía hace mucho por la adaptación cinematográfica de 2007 por Walt Disney Pictures; nos cuenta como Jess Aarons, un niño de quinto grado que le gusta correr y sobre todo dibujar, se hace amigo de su nueva compañera de clase y vecina Leslie Burke, un chica muy inteligente y con talento. Gracias a ella, crean un nuevo mundo imaginario, cruzando un riachuelo detrás de casa, un reino donde son rey y reina, un reino llamado Terabithia.
Ganadora de la medalla Newbery en 1978, l
D.M. Dutcher
Bonnie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Source: Library Checkout

[Warning: This review contains spoilers. Sorry! It's incredibly difficult to discuss this story without including them.]

'He thought later how peculiar it was that here was probably the biggest thing in his life, and he had shrugged it off as nothing.'

Jess Aarons lives in the small town of Lark Creek. He's spent his summer leading up to the fifth grade practicing on being the fastest runner in the school. With shock and amazement he's beaten in the f
Swaps55
Aug 29, 2007 Swaps55 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: young-adult
This, along with Where the Red Fern Grows, probably impacted me the most growing up. The really good books, regardless of genre or audience, make such an imprint on you that you can recall certain lines or moments with perfect clarity. This books so perfectly renders its characters, settings, and imagination of these two characters that it simply takes your breath away. As I recall, her prose is not flowery and ornate, but as plain and simple as Jess, and as life-changing as Leslie. It's the cla ...more
Ahmad
Apr 11, 2015 Ahmad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth
Dec 04, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book as a girl. I read it over and over and over! A beautiful little story that introduces children to loss and, in a way, how to deal.
Stepheny(Annie Wilkes)
Apparently I have been living under a rock my entire life because I had never even heard of Bridge to Terabithia before a friend of mine brought it up in conversation one day. She says, it’s a short read, I’ll bring you in my copy. Sure! I replied!

I had been under the impression that this was a children’s fantasy book and therefore had visions of Narnia dancing in my head. A few weeks after she had given me her copy I told her I would finally be getting around to it (I was finishing up a book I
Brandy
Apr 01, 2008 Brandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
The movie got so much hype that I decided that I would read the book to my kids before letting them see the movie. I hate how so many movies are comming out about classic books. I personally feel it is discouraging kids to read. I understand that lots of movies are based on books, but it seems that a new trend is to make movies based on really popular books. Anyway, I wanted my kids to hear the book before seeing the movie. I actually wasn't impressed with this book at all. It moved pretty slowl ...more
Carmine
Jan 14, 2016 Carmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Fai tesoro di ciò che ti ha lasciato....così continuerà a vivere".

Perchè ognuno di noi è stato bambino, necessitando di un luogo nella quale il mondo non potesse entrare.
Un luogo nella quale paura e rabbia non avessero spazio, ove si è eroi per sempre e la solitudine diventa una sbiadita ombra di ricordi oramai lontani.

E quando la realtà bussa alle porte del nostro rifugio, presentando il conto dei tanti miracoli concessi, si giunge alla conclusione che Terabithia non morirà.
Cresce chi riesce a
Books2Movies Club: Bridge to Terabithia - book and adaptations 3 12 Dec 03, 2015 04:19AM
101 Books to Read...: Bridge to Terabithia 2 7 Nov 30, 2015 05:16PM
  • A Year Down Yonder (A Long Way from Chicago, #2)
  • The Slave Dancer
  • The Wheel on the School
  • The Higher Power of Lucky (The Hard Pan Trilogy, #1)
  • A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers
  • Dicey's Song (Tillerman Cycle, #2)
  • Belle Prater's Boy
  • My Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #1)
  • Roller Skates
  • In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson
  • Dear Mr. Henshaw (Leigh Botts, #1)
  • The Summer of the Swans
  • Gay Neck: The Story of a Pigeon
  • The View from Saturday
1949
From author's website:

People are always asking me questions I don't have answers for. One is, "When did you first know that you wanted to become a writer?" The fact is that I never wanted to be a writer, at least not when I was a child, or even a young woman. Today I want very much to be a writer. But when I was ten, I wanted to be either a movie star or a missionary. When I was twenty, I wanted t
More about Katherine Paterson...

“You have to believe it and you hate it. I don't have to and I think it's beautiful.” 156 likes
“It's like the smarter you are, the more things can scare you.” 135 likes