Start by marking “Des Vérités Cachées (Vera Stanhope, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Des Vérités Cachées

Ann Cleeves

Des Vérités Cachées (Vera Stanhope #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  813 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Une nuit d'été sur la côte du Northumberland, dans le nord-est de l'Angleterre. En rentrant chez elle, Julie Armstrong découvre le cadavre de son fils Luke, dans la baignoire, recouvert de pétales. Après un autre meurtre, les soupçons de l'inspecteur Vera Stanhope se tournent vers un groupe d'amis, quatre ornithologues amateurs. Le meurtrier est-il à l'université de Newcas ...more
334 pages
Published 2008 by Belfond (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Des Vérités Cachées, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Des Vérités Cachées

Noeleen
Another excellent murder mystery in the Vera Stanhope series, this third installment didn't disappoint, love this series a lot, looking forward to reading the rest of the series
Nik Morton
Despite the fact that Ann Cleeves has published twenty-five novels since 1986, this is the first of her books I’ve read, and that’s probably thanks to the excellent TV series Vera, starring the excellent Brenda Blethyn.

Set in the northeast of England, this book evokes my home area very well: Foxhunters, Whitley Bay, Seaton Sluice, North Shields, Morpeth and Newcastle.

Julie Armstrong arrives home after a night out to discover her young son strangled, laid out in a bath of water and covered with
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Η Βρετανή Ann Cleeves είναι ένα από τα πλέον ηχηρά ονόματα στο χώρο της αστυνομικής λογοτεχνίας, κερδίζοντας μάλιστα το 2006 το εξαιρετικά σημαντικό βραβείο, Duncan Lawrie Dagger της Ένωσης Βρετανών Συγγραφέων Αστυνομικής Λογοτεχνίας, για το βιβλίο της "Raven Black". Το γεγονός ότι πριν αφοσιωθεί ψυχή και σώμα στην συγγραφή, εργάστηκε στην ακτοφυλακή αλλά και ως δικαστική επιμελητής, σίγουρα έπαιξε καθοριστικό ρόλο στην πορεία της ως συγγραφέα αλλά, και στο είδος με το οποίο επέλεξε τελικά να ασ ...more
Elizabeth
Vera Stanhope was reached the point in her life where her regrets are catching up with her. She lives the life of the loner and has faced up to the reality that she will probably never have a family. Her childhood was lonely and difficult because her father was on obsessive birder who dragged her along on many of his hunts for rapters. The coping skills she developed during those days have been a boon in her career as a police officer and her introspective personality leads her into understandin ...more
Thebooktrail
Set in the North East of England, this is a lovely guide to the region as it features quite a few known and lesser known landmarks and takes us right up the coast and even to Northumberland with a dabbling in the academic world with Newcastle University and Morpeth library mentioned.

Want to go on the booktrail tour using this book as a guide? - : The Vera Tour

What’s it all about?

The discovery of a young man’s body in a bathtub is something that starts a nightmare for Vera. This is a highly styli
WordsBeyondBorders
At one point in Ann Cleeves's 'Hidden Depths', inspector Vera Stanhope muses
"Real murders weren't like this. They were brutal and mucky. Unplanned usually, always ugly". She has reason to, as she is investigating 2 murders, where both the victims, who do not seem to have been related in anyway have been decked out in a similar, almost ritualistic fashion. Vera has to find out a killer who seems to have come from the pages of a novel.

This novel is not a police procedural on the lines of say Ranki
Liza
Having enjoyed reading orher crime novels written by Ann Cleeves, I anticipated enjoying this, the first in the Vera series I have read. I have also seen one episode of Vera but Brenda Blethyn's portrayal didn't overwhelm my imagined Vera from the book. It was a solid police procedural. Not the first in the series so probably missing some character detail although quite a bit is given to account for the central character's loner status, a fat frumpy police inspector uncomfortable with many of he ...more
John Lee
Another from a series that is fast becoming a favourite.

I like the authors style of storytelling. High action it is not, but what I imagine to be the slow plod of a police investigation.
The tale is well described as are the characters who are all well painted and easy to picture.
A short while ago we came across another story by the same author ( although from a different series) and, assuming that bird watching isnt a particular hobby of the author, it shows good use of subject research.
Another
Margaret
I like Vera Stanhope. She's an unlikely detective heroine. Plain, overweight, socially awkward, lonely, she is nevertheless veey good at her job. And this particular job involved finding out who the murderer is who enjoys laying his victims out in water surrounded by flowers. Will he strike again? The time she spends examining the lives of a closely knit group of friends proved to be time well-spent.

A book to enjoy to discover how the various characters come to life, to savour the Northumbrian l
Judith
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!

Number 3 in the Vera Stanhope series. I am spacing them out, making myself read other books in between, so I can savor each one by itself.

A young man is found dead in his bathtub, by his mother. Flowers are spread decoratively on the water. Not long after, a beautiful young woman is found dead in a rock pool, also strewn with flowers. There has to be a connection but what is it?

Inspector Vera Stanhope and her y
Richard Thompson
We had seen the VERA episode based on this book... major departures from the book... checked out the Sage Theatre and other landmarks on Google Map...

38. MemoryWalk – the municipal swimming pool in Fort St. John, BC. Two bodies floating in the water, flowers strewn on the surface. Looking into the pool, someone comments: “I didn't realize that this pool was so deep... You can't even see the bottom... There could be anything hiding in the shadows down there...”
Sian Wadey
Hidden Depths by Ann Cleeves

I read Hidden Depths in preparation for meeting the author at my local independent book store in Oswestry. Before this, I had read one of Cleeves' Jimmy Perez novels which I enjoyed but wasn't wowed by. Then they showed 'Vera' on ITV, the television versions of Cleeves' Vera Stanhope books. If I hadn't known who the killer was, this book would've been five stars. In a way, I took the mystery out of it myself, which I wish I hadn't done! All the other Vera Stanhope boo
Gary Van Cott
Ann Cleeves can write, but I like her books that are set in the Shetland Islands (starting with Raven Black) so much better than this series. I don't care at all for Vera and these books lack much of a sense of the setting.
Mick Kelly
Really good - I've read two of Anne Cleaves' books now, and I'm becoming a fan of them. Characterisation is brilliant, and the descriptions of the North-East make me want to go back for a visit. Much better than the TV series - and that's pretty good, too.
tinne
Magnificent Vera novel. It was great to get glimpses inside her head, of her thoughts, emotions and self-delusions. I love the way the Vera character evolves throughout the series and am avid to read the next one. However, I shall indulge in a period of delayed gratification and read some other stuff first ;).
Andy Plonka
Vera Stanhope has improved in her later adventures. She is one smart cookie though physically unattractive and short on tact. She longs for a normal family life, but frankly she is not family material. She should stick to policing.
Kyla Squires
Still enjoying this series. It may even warrent 4 stars. It's weird how strangulation is Ann Cleeves only cause of death though. P.D. James has incest and unloved adopted children, Ann Cleeves has strangulation and loners.
Suzie Burrell
Good, well written and structured but the characters just seemed a bit too textbook for my liking, none of them really grabbed me. Would definitely read more of her work though.
Shonna Froebel
The discovery of a young man's body in a bathtub scattered with flowers gets the lead detective Vera Stanhope thinking. When a second body is discovered, also scattered with flowers, this time in a tidal pool, she tries to find a link between the two victims. The group of friends who discover the second body draw her attention. They are very disparate characters and yet seem very close. The character of Vera is well-drawn and sympathetic. As you discover her background and loneliness, and see ho ...more
Diana
Mal wieder ein richtig genialer Krimi. Vera Stanhope ist zu dick, trinkt zuviel und gibt bei ihren Ermittlungen gerne mal das ungeschickte Dummchen. Laboruntersuchungen werden zwar gemacht, doch auf die Ergebnisse wird nicht weiter eingegangen. Stanhope löst den Fall alleine dadurch, dass sie mit den Leuten spricht, immer und immer wieder. Sehr nett finde ich übrigens auch, dass sie die Leute immer "Herzchen" nennt :-)

Einziger Minuspunkt, der aber zu Lasten des Verlags geht: es gibt wohl noch zw
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Third in the series: a predictable but engaging police procedural replete with strong characterization and a quirky cast of characters.
Andrew Lone
Cleeves sets a good scene in the north east and we're introduced to Vera a new fictional detective who seems like a real person
David Carter
It took me quite a long time to read this book. It may have just been that I didn't have much time for reading, but I suspect it was more to do with the fact that I didn't really find the story sufficiently exciting for it to keep my attention.
One thing that did stand out was just how well dramatised the TV series shown on ITV in the UK is, with Brenda Blethyn in the title role as Vera. I vaguely recall seeing this story, but thankfully couldn't remember the outcome.
The story and characterisatio
Helen
I started reading this series after a trip to London. My husband and I viewed this program and came home wanting more. We bought the tv series and then I went and got the first two books. They take. Bit longer to read but definitely are worth the effort if you are after something other than a light read. The only disconcerting part for me is that the Vera of the book does not beR much resemblance to the Vera of the tv series. Obese? I think not. If that is considered obese then Imthink someone n ...more
Sharonm
I really love the Vera Stanhope series. Her internal struggles between the life she sees for herself as a heavy 40-something single cop and the family lives she sees around her bring a reality to the books. This book starts with a murder victim found in water surrounded by floating flowers. A group of bird watchers is implicated, and the woman who personifies the domestic center of a family causes angst for Vera. But it's the guys who figure most prominently in the search for the murderer. I did ...more
Rae
Cranky DI. More characterization than strong mystery. Very British. Birds too.
Jane Bennett
Love these books from the Vera series, this one didn't disappoint!
Valentine George
Excellent detective series - one of my favourites.
Susan Tully
Brilliant book, as ever. Ann Cleeves never disappoints - didn't guess who the murderer was again - although he was on my list of suspects.
Carol Jean
Not quite as complicated as the others I've read, but boy, don't let your mind wander while you're reading these! I've had to set aside my whiskey bottle and start a pot of coffee!
  • The Darkness & the Deep (DI Marjory Fleming #2)
  • One Last Breath (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #5)
  • Crime Machine (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #5)
  • Playing With Fire (Inspector Banks, #14)
  • The Risk of Darkness (Simon Serrailler, #3)
  • A Killing Frost (Inspector Frost, #6)
  • Naming The Bones
  • On Beulah Height (Dalziel & Pascoe, #17)
  • The House at Sea's End (Ruth Galloway, #3)
  • Fever of the Bone (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #6)
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
Ann is the author of the books behind ITV's VERA, now in it's third series, and the BBC's SHETLAND, which will be aired in December 2012. Ann's DI Vera Stanhope series of books is set in Northumberland and features the well loved detective along with her partner Joe Ashworth. Ann's Shetland series bring us DI Jimmy Perez, investigating in the mysterious, dark, and beautiful Shetland Islands...

Ann
More about Ann Cleeves...

Vera Stanhope (7 books)
  • The Crow Trap (Vera Stanhope, #1)
  • Telling Tales (Vera Stanhope, #2)
  • Silent Voices (Vera Stanhope, #4)
  • The Glass Room (Vera Stanhope, #5)
  • Harbour Street (Vera Stanhope, #6)
  • The Moth Catcher (Vera Stanhope #7)
Raven Black (Shetland, #1) White Nights (Shetland, #2) Red Bones (Shetland, #3) Blue Lightning (Shetland, #4) Dead Water (Shetland, #5)