Start by marking “The Lemming Condition” as Want to Read:
The Lemming Condition

The Lemming Condition (Bubber #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Bubber's family was getting ready. So were all the other lemming families in burrow after burrow, deep under the ground. It was the morning of the great march west and the leap into the sea. Bubber was looking forward to it, until his friend Crow started asking him questions.
"What is this march?" asked Crow. "You go down to the cliffs and jump into the ocean and swim aroun
Published October 18th 1989 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Lemming Condition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lemming Condition

Joy
This was one of the most influential books of my early childhood. I recently found it amongst various sentimental items that I had stored away in boxes. I just reread it and was somewhat proud of my younger self for having absorbed the powerful message at such a young age. I'm looking forward to passing this book on to my kids.

No one... not our friends, not even our own beloved parents and siblings can dictate our choices. A great way to introduce the idea of free will and personal accountabili
Julia
A friend recommended this book as the most disturbing children's book--so of course I was intrigued. Basically, your cute and furry creature is a lemming named Blubber, who must decide between taking the plunge or saving his inner child. I found this book hilarious and disturbing in one sitting. This book would pair well with the classic White Wilderness lemming debacle (see the snopes link) and a glass of cabernet.

Laurette
One of my favorites from childhood. But very disturbing. May not be suitable for very young children.
Mark Barnes
If you enjoyed Spencer Johnson's Who Moved My Cheese, I think you'll love The Lemming Condition. Similar in its brevity (Lemming is a 20-30 minute read), Alan Arkin's nifty story is an allegory on conformity. Starring a confused Lemming named Bubber, who can't figure out why his race is so eager to storm off of a cliff and fall to their death, the protagonist spends the entire story questioning his fate and the motives of his mammal race.

As the death march approaches, Bubber considers the varyi
Letticia
This book was read to me in elementary school and I remember really loving it, so I bought it now. I really remember the story being so much longer but that must be because I was a child. I still really love this story about the nonconformist lemming. This is a great story to read to your children as it will teach them to question everything and think for themselves.
Larissa
Read this for a Bibliotherapy class in grad school.
Summer
Surprisingly deep and insightful allegory.
Katie
Jul 10, 2012 Katie rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: NO ONE!!
Oh my gosh. This is quite possibly my least favorite book of all time! (besides Twilight. Maybe)

Basically, it's about an adorable little animal.

Then, (view spoiler)

That's it. Now, I understand this is probably supposed to be for younger kids, and about peer pressure and stuff, but it's almost disturbing. I read this when I was 11 for an assignment, and I hated it.

Basically, if you have a choice, don't read it.
Kristen
This is a great book. NOT FOR KIDS. But a great book about making your own choices and not just following the crowd.

Also it is really SHORT, because it is cataloged in the juvenile section.

There is swearing, really mild and not much, but a little.
Briana
Aware of the concept of the lemming, I now understand it better. And am certain this text has lots of deeper meanings than a lemming who was smart enough to know lemmings can't swim!
Erin Ufgood
Fantastic take on the nature of conformity. Seems like a children's book, but truly has more adult overtones, as well as some disturbing moments relating to death. Highly recommended.
Todd
IF YOU LIKED THIS TRY...

The Real Thief by William Steig
manatee
This engaging but depressing book ends with a very forlorn and troubling scene. Our hero is all alone in the world and really there is little hope.
Alix
Do not read this book to your children unless you wish for them to go on a shooting rampage.
Destinee Sutton
Mar 06, 2008 Destinee Sutton rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Destinee by: Jody
Shelves: middle-grade
This book prompted me to find out the real reason why lemmings jump off cliffs.
Arielle
I grew up with this book and it's always nice to give it a re-read. Go Bubber, go!
Kate
Everyone should read, a great life lesson, simple & true
Shana
Aug 10, 2008 Shana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shana by: kids
Don't be a lemming!!
Brie
Brie added it
May 11, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Andi
Andi marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Connie
Connie added it
Mar 08, 2015
Jodi
Jodi added it
Jan 05, 2015
Anna Molly
Anna Molly marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Bubber (2 books)
  • The Clearing
An Improvised Life The Clearing Halfway Through the Door: An Actor's Journey Toward the Self An Improvised Life: A Memoir Cassie Loves Beethoven