Start by marking “The Cageless Zoo” as Want to Read:

The Cageless Zoo

Visiting the galaxy's only Cageless Zoo should be a special treat for Melandre and her children. Except she's still trying to reckon with her husband's recent death and how she's going to raise two highly independent children on her own. As their visit quickly falls to chaos, Melandre learns that family is the only thing left she has to rely on.
Published (first published May 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Cageless Zoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cageless Zoo

Denisa Howe
Jan 30, 2014 Denisa Howe rated it liked it
A delightful… gory surprise. The actual plot was captivating as it brings you into a family dealing with the loss of their father. They go to the virtual zoo owned by the company their father did research for. He had facts to prove something very wrong could and probably would happen. The mystery of his death and company who wanted to keep his research hidden fills these pages. The most fascinating and scary pages kept me on the edge of my seat. The zoo held no bars, had animals that needed no p ...more
Erin
Aug 11, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-free
This was a very short/quick read (and the ebook is free on Amazon!). The book description is fairly accurate, but in my opinion it doesn't make the danger/adventure that dominates a large portion of the story evident enough.

Basically a woman's husband dies leaving her with two kids. She takes them to a cageless zoo where you can get right up close and personal with the "animals". The something happens and the family finds themselves stuck in the middle of this zoo full of dangerous animals that
Alexie
Aug 04, 2014 Alexie rated it liked it
Feels like Jurassic Park

Feels like Jurassic Park

the story isn't bad and it does have a Jurassic Park feel to it. My 3 star comes from lack of exotic animal description and extremely awkward name choices. The names were extremely distracting. however, it's still an enjoyable short read. I didn't read the excerpt of the author's other writing, only the title story.
Stacy
Oct 26, 2011 Stacy rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Short story on Kindle and I've been reading it on my iPod for a few weeks. Imagine a futuristic story with animals as yet undiscovered. Not just unknown, but some of the scariest predators out there. Then, put them in a zoo with no cages and some mind altering technology that lets them not notice humans. The technology is fun and the animals are creative, both of which I enjoy in a story. Of course, like Jurassic Park, no system is foolproof and a power failure in a sandstorm means disaster.

All
Michelle McPherson
Nov 12, 2015 Michelle McPherson rated it it was amazing
The Cageless Zoo

What an interesting and horrifying concept. I could see the draw of this type of attraction but I don't think I could ever trust technology enough to personally visit a careless zoo myself.
Sfloreen
Aug 10, 2013 Sfloreen rated it did not like it
If you like sci-fantasy, you might like this book. I actually do not like reading science fiction novels where nothing is either described well, or explained. It's okay to wave a magic wand in a fantasy book and something happen, it's explained away by magic. It is not okay to do this in a sci-fi to me. There should be some explanation as to how something works, and there were no explanations to anything in this book. In my opinion, the writer is being very lazy, too lazy to do the slightest bit ...more
Holly
Jul 24, 2013 Holly rated it really liked it
This story was very intriguing. I enjoyed the author's use of fictional creatures. The animals in this zoo were mixes between animals we have and made up animals. I enjoyed the storyline of how a mother and her two children are visiting a zoo where there are no cages. But I especially liked how their father was proven right in his research that his company tried hiding. I liked that the man that was trying to keep the husband's research hidden was taken out my one if the creatures.
Cathy
Aug 13, 2011 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Short story.
A widow and her two children visit a cageless zoo to meet with a member of the administration. The admin wants her late husband's research on certain animals. She fears they will suppress the information because it's contrary to their own beliefs.
While there a sandstorm knocks out the power and releases the animals. How will they escape?
Kristy
Okay story...kinda reminded me of Jurassic Park meets Star Wars, except minus the light sabers.
Beth
Dec 27, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
Jurassic park on steroids.
Sam Wicked
Sam Wicked rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2016
Steve Martinson
Steve Martinson marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Chynna
Chynna is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2016
Nicole Berk
Nicole Berk rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Lucinda
Lucinda marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Adam Ellis
Adam Ellis marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Suki
Suki marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Amber
Amber added it
Jun 07, 2016
Hannah Josiah
Hannah Josiah rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Shelby
Shelby rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Dee Gray
Dee Gray marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Grace Rapai
Grace Rapai marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Jonathan Poole
Jonathan Poole marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Robin BAsque
Robin BAsque rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Erin Roberts
Erin Roberts marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Alexis
Alexis rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

“Hmm…” Melandre acknowledged the comment, then spun back, yelling at Andrake. “Quit dawdling!” She accessed her son's system and sent a flash of light across his eye-screens. “Didn’t have to do that, mum,” said Andrake as he shoved the hacking wand in his pocket and rubbed his eyes. “I was almost done.” 0 likes