Start by marking “Untitled” as Want to Read:
Untitled

Untitled

The blank page.

It has so much power.

Some days it's terrifying, sometimes thrilling, but mostly it's just plain old scary.

It is the reason many people never finish that novel, or complete that project, or follow through with that one thing they used to dream about.

Sadly, it is the reason many people never even begin.

Blaine Hogan's manifesto, UNTITLED: Thoughts on the Creati
Published (first published July 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Untitled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Untitled

Jesse Mccarl
Just the description of this book shows that the author is prone to clutter. He seems like a great, wise man, but I don't know if writing is his niche. Acting and designing are more his creative fortes. Didn't necessarily finish any smarter or more inspired, but I highlighted a couple quotes worth tweeting. Took me a night to read. Good for beginning writers.
Tim
Dec 31, 2013 Tim rated it it was ok
1. It feels unfinished, BUT welcome to the world of instant self-publishing. Not too surprising. Hard to see this little book published for real without a major overhaul.

2. There isn't any meat to this work. Here's why. We have an artist trying to give advice on - what? How to be creative. And how to not let the 'product' determine if your idea is good or not. And to not worry about other people's critiques, etc. etc. Here is the problem, when an artist talks about their art they are talking abo
Cris Ferreira
Apr 26, 2012 Cris Ferreira rated it it was amazing
Blaine talks about the challenge of the blank page, and how the creative needs to fill it with something beautiful and meaningful.

The book is divided into four parts: the work; the inside out; failure, fear and making mistakes; and worth it. He focuses on different aspects of the creative process in each part.

In the first part, for example, he explains why he thinks that having ideas are not what matters. What really matters is how you execute your ideas.

He also talks about getting inspiration,
Nathan
Apr 29, 2012 Nathan rated it did not like it
I don't really understand what I am supposed to take away from what I read. I feel as though I just looked through the first draft of a book, rather than a piece ready to publish. I enjoyed the sample chapter provided by Amazon, but when I read the rest of it, wasn't as excited. It was more anecdotal than analytical, but the stories weren't even that memorable. Also, I don't know if it was my digital copy, but the formatting had a return after every sentence, which wasn't a great way to ready a ...more
Bethany
Apr 07, 2012 Bethany rated it it was amazing
This was a really great book on the creative life.

Hogan writes with short, yet profound, sentences. He is able to apply the creative process across the board - to all creative mediums, not just to his experience in acting.

And he spent a lot of time talking about the inner process that has to occur before any outward art can happen. It's about reflection and transformation - the artist has to be moved by the art before anyone else can be. If this inner transformation hasn't occurred, the art wi
Joewoolworth

Creativity is not a gift, it’s a discipline. Ideas don’t come by inspiration alone, there is a process involved.

In his book “Untitled” Blaine Hogan @BlaineHogan outlines his thoughts/manifesto on the creative process and it is worth the read. He articulates perfectly what we all knew or at least suspected that creativity is work. In his words “just plain old, unsexy work.”

There are a lot of great axioms to be found in this book. The one that stuck out to me was the idea to “scratch when you don’
Rick Dobrowolski
Mar 27, 2012 Rick Dobrowolski rated it really liked it
Blaine Hogan writes an engaging, rapid-fire book that will hold your attention all the way through. He delves into the philosophy and thinking behind creativity and is honest with the reader in communicating the hard work behind being creative.

A great point made in the book is the necessity of down-time to think and evaluate things of life. Blaine is convinced that this is what ultimately aids the creative mind.

Overall, "Untitled" is a good read for anyone looking to stretch their creativity. If
K
Jun 24, 2013 K rated it it was ok
The book has a few nuggets of creative wisdom that are worth highlighting but generally the author's writing style and flat anecdotes were unsatisfying. I found myself bored and annoyed with his lacking depth of wisdom. It read like a first draft (dry and simple) and not a published piece of work (rich with passion oozing from each page.) The author suggests that art takes time and I wish he took more time with this because it just wasn't that good.

For deeper creative wisdom and application, I'd
Nathan
Jan 01, 2013 Nathan rated it really liked it
Blaine Hoan read "The War of Art" and decided he wanted to write something just like it.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. This is a very good book and is written in a much warmer and more personal style than Steven Pressfield writes "The War of Art." Yet, it doesn't offer anything nearly as profound as Pressfield's book. Rather, reading "Untitled" is like hanging out with one of your good friends and waxing poetic about art and creation.

It's easy to pick up and put down, and I personally read
John
Nov 09, 2011 John rated it it was amazing
A great (but short) book on the creative process.

Although the author focuses much of this discussion on his own application of his artistic talents in faith-related areas, what he talks about is applicable to any artistic endeavor in any arena.

Any book that starts off with the line: "No one cares about your ideas," is a keeper.
Christian N. Hagel-Sørensen
Jul 10, 2014 Christian N. Hagel-Sørensen rated it it was amazing
Heartfelt honest book about creativity

creative work is hard. execution is hard. there is just work and more work and a high likelihood of failure. the author captures all of this and gives his advice on how to overcome the blank page and rejection. his conclusion is that it is worth it. this book is also worth your time.
Stacey
Jan 08, 2014 Stacey rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I really liked this book, what it said, and what it asked. It's one of those I want to go back and read through slowly answering the prompts when my heart gives it time. He deals with the creative process quite wonderfully, and there were several things which struck me as poignant or made me simply stop reading for a bit to process.
Luke
Aug 28, 2011 Luke rated it liked it
This short e-book talks about the creative process in a fresh way. While a little light on practicality, Hogan's call to just get going on creative projects rather than drowning in fear is always a welcome challenge. Felt a little like a collection of reformatted blog entries, which isn't necessarily bad, but left me wishing each chapter was 15% longer.
Larry Wright
Aug 11, 2011 Larry Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book that successfully chips away at the major obstacles to being creative. Written in a casual, easy to read style, it's very similar to Steven Pressfield's The War of Art, which is one of my all time favorites. Highly recommended for anyone in a creative field.
Christy
If you are a creative this is a MUST read. It's a short but intense read and he gave me several ideas to help me with my creativeness. After watching a video done by him where he did not speak a word.... and reading the book....He has inspired me :)
Mark
Jul 31, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, quick read. Blaine talks honestly about his experiences in the arts and challenges others to move out of fear and laziness and be willing to make mistakes in effort to create something truly beautiful.
Kristen
Nov 25, 2011 Kristen rated it it was amazing
If you are a creative type, this book is a must read. Completely cuts through the fog & gets right into the heart of art.
Shelley Paulson
Feb 02, 2013 Shelley Paulson rated it it was amazing
Seriously one of the best books I have ever read. Here's a blog post with some observations: http://blog.shelleypaulson.com/2013/0...
Lee
Jul 09, 2012 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book on the creative process and how much it's worth it. A more human, caring, realistic version of "The War of Art".
Francisco
Mar 11, 2012 Francisco rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, light, but inspiring book on the creative process. A definite help if you ever find yourself stuck or discouraged about your work.
Andrea
Apr 10, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This one had some great practical advice. It was encouraging and confirmed that creativity is a process. It isn't easy, but it is worth it.
Kevin
Dec 19, 2012 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Blaine's just great. Would recommend this book to any creative. Really easy to read, easy to finish, easy to apply.
Tom Roepke
Jul 30, 2011 Tom Roepke rated it it was amazing
this is a great read. 50% in to it and its been a breathe of fresh air. anyone who does any creating at all will be blessed by the way Blaine walks through his journey on creating.
Lizzie
Lizzie rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Ross
Ross rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Rubens Fernando
Rubens Fernando rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Stephanie Berbec
Stephanie Berbec rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2015
Drew
Drew rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Matthew Sanders
Feb 20, 2013 Matthew Sanders rated it liked it
Shelves: design
Great message. Only caveat was the presentation and structure was left wanting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Writer's Manifesto
  • Indomitable Will: LBJ in the Presidency
  • Do You Matter? How Great Design Will Make People Love Your Company
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • A Crown in the Stars (Genesis, #3)
  • What I Wore: Four Seasons, One Closet, Endless Recipes for Personal Style
  • Delirious: My Journey with the Band, a Growing Family, and an Army of Historymakers
  • Spiritual Formation: Following the Movements of the Spirit
  • Souvenirs of Solitude: Finding Rest in Abba's Embrace
  • Never the Bride
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2012
  • Gracenomics: Unleash the Power of Second Chance Living
  • On Web Typography

“Think for a moment about the work you've done over the last year. As subjective as it may seem, ask yourself: Which ones were the most effective? Chances are good that these pieces were so effective because they moved you first. The best works of art are the ones that don't set out to prove a point but that set out to tell a story, create a relationship; seek to put into words or pictures an unexplainable feeling. The best ideas must move you before they can move someone else. And so you must begin at your core.” 0 likes
“Vision is easy. Ideas are even easier. It's execution that separates the amateurs from the pros.” 0 likes