Start by marking “Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds” as Want to Read:
Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds

Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  592 ratings  ·  118 reviews
Third Culture Kids speaks to the challenges and rewards of a multicultural childhood; the joy of discovery and heartbreaking loss, its effect on maturing and personal identity, and the difficulty in transitioning home.
Published March 26th 2001 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Third Culture Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Third Culture Kids

Third Culture Kids by David C. PollockChronicles of a Full-Time Father by James NinnessWhen Good Kids Do Bad Things by Katherine Gordy LevineStranger Danger - How to Talk to Kids About Strangers by Kristi  PorterParenting Without Borders by Christine Gross-Loh
Parenting Books
1st out of 35 books — 16 voters
Turkey, Surviving the Expats by Jack  ScottPerking the Pansies - Jack and Liam move to Turkey by Jack  ScottTurkey, the Raw Guide by Jack  ScottUnsavory Elements by Tom  CarterThird Culture Kids by David C. Pollock
Relocation
5th out of 57 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Izlinda
Gives a good overview of what a TCK is, traits that define them/challenges they face and how they can be handled/overcome. It's not just for TCK's themselves, but parents of such people, those who want to know about TCK's and sponsoring companies.

I started this book several times, and read snippets. One time I started it for a paper, I ended up crying because I could relate to a lot of it, and it made me feel lonely. This time I got through it, I still ended up crying during several parts of it,...more
Hawkgrrrl
Wow. I finally get myself. A good read, although a bit repetitive and oddly organized at times. Still, a must read for anyone who has dragged their kids halfway around the world (or across the country) to live in a foreign culture or who has been dragged at some point.
Judy
Mar 29, 2012 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Judy by: Jody Conibear tangredi
Don't fit into your little white upper class suburb that everyone thinks is totally happening? Identify with a culture that is not your own? Need to get out of town every week? Keep wondering where you will go next? Not making friends because one day you might move on?

If you have lived overseas and immersed yourself in a culture as a child, chances are you are still carrying baggage from those adventures. Sit down, rest, read and you will discover yourself in these pages.
Rob and Liz
This is a book that has been on my "to-read" list for several years and I finally read it during our vacation to Zanzibar.

Third Culture Kids (TCK) is a must-read for parents, extended-family and supporters of kids who grow up in foreign countries or cultures in my opinion. The basic premise of the book is that kids who grow up in a different country (like our kids!) end up learning from both home and host cultures and yet never fully becoming part of either one. TCKs and Adults TCKs (ATCKs) hav...more
Kiki Marriott
If you need a comfy sofa, 15 minutes, a stiff drink and an indulgent listener to give justice to the question "Where are you from?", then this is the book for you! Also for people raising cross-cultural children. Highly recommended!
Vivian
I borrowed this book a few months ago to help create my personal project. Although I didn't actually read through it until recently, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is full of content that I can personally relate to. If you attend an international school, chances are you will also relate to this. This is great for adults who work with kids living abroad to get a glimpse of what life is like. What a great feeling it is to read something that explains so many of my experiences to me. An...more
Joel Simon
Jan 27, 2008 Joel Simon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All expatriates
Shelves: self-improvement
This is a great book for expats. Although it is focused on children of expats (hence the title), it actually has many good points for the parents, or even adults who don't have kids as I found many of the issues relevant whether or not you encountered them as a kid or not. The writing style is straightforward and easy to understand and I found myself nodding in agreement through almost every story or revelation. The anecdotes that included from other people's actual experiences enrich the book g...more
Linda A Janssen
This is the seminal book on cross-cultural kids (and for cross-cultural living, for that matter), and for good reason. It should be required reading for anyone who ever has lived or is living abroad, loves someone who did/does or aspires to do so themselves. Pollock and Van Reken explain not only the benefits and positives coming out of such intercultural experiences, but also the challenges and difficulties that can cause emotional pain. Filled with the stories of many different TCKs (some now...more
Mirna Santos
Expats you talk to usually focus on the pros on spending time abroad with their families, a "golden time, full of opportunities and new experiences" for their children, but we are not very aware of the cons. This is a must-to-read book for parents or for youngsters or young adults who have spent time in a host culture, different from their own, or who are about to start a first time living away from 'home'. What struck me most was the sense of grieve and loss that we all would experience at cert...more
Dominika
I prefer the term 'global nomads' to 'third culture kids', but the odd phrasing does not take away from how great the book is. I picked it up thinking there won't be much new I'll learn, but I might as well read it. I was very wrong. Being a 'global nomad' myself, this book brought in a completely different perspective to my life and helped me see events in my own life in a different light. Well researched, well written, captivating and educational. A must read for anyone in a cross-cultural mar...more
Ramón
I was referred to this book by my friend's master's thesis, and was duly impressed. This is an interesting topic to me as many friends of mine have grown up overseas or are in the process of beginning careers working overseas with government, NGOs, or missions organizations.

I think this book is a great resource for anyone involved in any way with people raising families within multiple cultures. I'm interested to see if there is any research on the similarities and differences between growing u...more
Ryan Greer
A comprehensive look at the life of those who live between worlds. This book never gets old for me, even as I revisit it as an adult. It's a great read for anyone who has or continues to struggle with their own identity as a third culture kid, as well as their loved ones.

If you're going to raise a family overseas, or want to understand someone who has been a part of that, I highly recommend this book.
Borna
Apr 17, 2011 Borna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who has lived outside of their home country while growing up
Recommended to Borna by: A friend with a similar background as myself
Shelves: sociology
In short I loved this book because it showed me what I was feeling and why. I have been feeling lost for a long time since returning back to my home country and I didn't know why. A friend recommended this book and after reading it I found out what and why I was feeling the way I was.
It also helped me ease the transition of returning home and integrating into a mono cultural society.
Gina
If you live overseas for any period of time with children, you need to read this book. I see so many people doing their kids a huge disservice by not recognizing the impact living overseas has and will have on their kids. I think it can be a wonderful experience for kids if you are aware of the issues, and this book clearly states what they are.
Alissa
A decent read, with some good insights for expats with kids. Looks like I read the 2001 edition...will have to have a look at the 2009 new edition which hopefully has some 21st century insights and new research...
Natalia
Oct 14, 2008 Natalia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who have lived in multiple cultures growing up
Recommended to Natalia by: Rachel Winer
Through this book, which I read for a course I audited, I learned that I belong to a unique group of people studied by sociologists: Third Culture Kids. It helped me understand myself better.
Kim
A great, informative read for expat families. Maybe a bit too technical with stats and studies to hold my interest...but overall gives good insight into what my kids are experiencing.
Mandy
Jan 08, 2008 Mandy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: International Teachers
This book is critical for anyone working with children in the international community. It lays out a good mix of theoretical and practical information.
Melissa
So affirming to have words put to one's experiences. I love to tell new friends, "You think I'm weird? Read this book and you'll understand why."
Hal
A good book to help one relate to their childhood experiences, especially if you spent your life moving around the world growing up.
Crissie
May 13, 2009 Crissie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Crissie by: Pat Martin
Great book - so good to have this for the next generations. Explains a lot about me! Now I just have to process all this!
Joan Newcomb
Great book! Really opens ones eyes to the unique attributes of people who've grown up in multiple cultures.
Carly

I sat with my host mom in the car on our way to pick up my host sister and cousin from their extra lesson, when she brought up the topic of this book. Third Culture Kids. Children who have been raised in cultures different than theirs and their struggles with readjusting to their home culture, host culture, family life, everything.
This book basically describes my oldest host brother in a nutshell. He spent most of his defining years in Cairo at an international school with peers like him and th...more
Narjas
This book explained why and how some of my unique quirkiness came about through nurture alone: a pervading sense of loss; a crippling inability to plan for the future; seeing extremes; an innate skill at dealing with trauma/ crisis, yet somehow stunted and over-sensitive when handling the Everyday! My reaction to all that childhood moving around has been to seek a one-place identity in a 'foreign' non-parental, even, country that speaks my most comfortable approximation of the language I'm most...more
Cassandra
Nov 11, 2013 Cassandra is currently reading it
Shelves: parenting, nonfiction
I'm reading this book at the recommendation of a friend. She thought it would be helpful as we move toward an international adoption, bringing an older child from Taiwan to the United States.

So far I'm finding this book gives great insight into what it feels like to move into a new culture. I am sure that our daughter is going to be completely overwhelmed and I'm hoping that reading about others' experiences in new cultures will help me to more sensitive to her feelings and needs.

I'm also findi...more
Apryl Anderson
This must be a great book, because there's only one other book has come up in conversation quite so often since I picked it up. It's more than "struck a chord," it's preaching to the choir! Really, I don't know that I've learned anything new so much as it's given me the opportunity to see myself and others more clearly. How can such an incredibly diverse bunch of individuals have so much in common? I will refrain from spoilers ;0›

One question that TCK did not answer for me was: What came first,...more
Eva
A NEW TERM:
Third Culture Kids (TCKs)=children who spend a significant period of their developmental years in a culture outside their parents' passort culture (2009:xi).

A NEW PHENOMENON?
Does this new term reflect an aspect of more globalized world with fluid identity?
A NEW TERM:
Third Culture Kids (TCKs)=children who spend a significant period of their developmental years in a culture outside their parents' passport culture (2009:xi).
The TCK frequently builds relationships to all the cultures...more
Véronique Martin-Place
I was advised to read this book. I took my time before buying it. But once I started it, I couldn’t help stopping to read it. I hold the book only with one hand. The second one was too busy either to underline the essentials passages or to catch a tissue box. Because reading the Pollock and Van Reken’s book is like holding a mirror: the authors tell you about your own family history, past and present and even future. The numerous testimonials and anecdotes from TCK strengthen this feeling of emp...more
Michael Heneghan

Corrie and I both flipped through this one, hoping to gain some insight on our two girls, who are or will be third culture kids. Growing up for three years in Saudi Arabia makes me and my siblings TCKs too, I guess, though I don't think any of us would consider that to be especially true.

At first, I think Corrie and I were nervous about this book, thinking that our choice to raise our kids overseas might not be the boon we were hoping for. However, after reading sections of this book, it only...more
Annelies Harmon
This book brought back many memories of my MK years. I would greatly recommend this book to others who seek to understand and develop relationships with those who grow up in other cultures. This book helped me research for a speaking opportunity to one of our church ladies fellowships. They left with a better understanding of how to pray for and support TCK's.
  • Ministering Cross-Culturally: An Incarnational Model for Personal Relationships
  • Woman and Nature: The Roaring Inside Her
  • Serving with Eyes Wide Open: Doing Short-Term Missions with Cultural Intelligence
  • Cross-Cultural Servanthood: Serving the World in Christlike Humility
  • Walking With the Poor: Principles and Practices of Transformational Development
  • Mother Nature: Maternal Instincts and How They Shape the Human Species
  • Intercourse
  • The Mission of God's People: A Biblical Theology of the Church's Mission
  • Journal: The Short Life and Mysterious Death of Amy Zoe Mason
  • The Connected Child: Bring Hope and Healing to Your Adoptive Family
  • Strong Women, Soft Hearts: A Woman's Guide to Cultivating a Wise Heart and a Passionate Life
  • Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today's Parents