Start by marking “I Am Legend (Graphic Novel) ” as Want to Read:
I Am Legend (Graphic Novel)

I Am Legend (Graphic Novel)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,548 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Graphic novel adaptation.

Robert Neville is the last living man on Earth...but he is not alone. Every other man, woman, and child on Earth has become a vampire, and they are all hungry for Neville's blood.

By day, he is the hunter, stalking the sleeping undead through the abandoned ruins of civilization. By night, he barricades himself in his home and prays for the dawn.

How
Published 2007 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about I Am Legend (Graphic Novel), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Legend (Graphic Novel)

Andrew
I read this last year prior to the release of the motion picture release of the same name. I've seen the current motion picture since, as well as Omega Man and The Last Man on earth, and I must say that none of these even come close to the original.

This book takes a great twist on the traditional vampire story (that I won't spoil) and, although it is not a zombie story, it serves as inspiration for modern zombie horror by placing a single character in a position where he is constantly trying to
Jason
This book is a bit long-winded, but you could expect that from a tale that is mainly told from the perspective of one man's head. Particularly an intensely introspective, brash, macho, desperate man's head. Nonetheless, it is well animated and well-told. The movie concentrates so much on the habitual activity in already created comfort (which i appreciated for the first half). The book though explains more furtively how he came to live in such an accomodating environment. He has more humble surr ...more
Dominica Phetteplace
This is the graphic novel adaption of Richard Mathieson's book. I picked it up because I was too lazy to read the original novel. Joke's on me, this is the wordiest comic book I have ever laid eyes on. Some of this text got skimmed, I admit, for two reasons. The first is that not all of the words are necessary, the pictures give you a pretty good idea of what's going on. But mainly, this book is so suspenseful, I was always dying to turn the page. The art is dated, but functional. The black and ...more
Beatlesfan685
Dec 14, 2008 Beatlesfan685 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire fans or fans of movie or novel
i liked this book so much, i'm reading it again. this is a different view on Richard Matheson's classic novel. I've seen the movie and these are both very different. This is about a world taken over by vampires while the movie was about the world being taken over by an infectious disease. If I was to say which was better, I would say this. This book's art is beautiful and the story is simple yet great. I would recommend picking it up and at least reading a couple pages. It's great.
Terri
A superb graphic novel, based on a book from 1954 called I am Legend by Richard Matheson. Called the first modern vampire story, it follows Robert Neville, the last person alive after a pandemic which left everyone who survived a vampire. The book starts several months after the pandemic, when the zombies come to Robert's house nightly to try and 'get' him, and ends three years later. Tense, heartbreaking at times, thoughtful-an excellent book. It has been made into three movies (and one straigh ...more
Ryan
Matheson’s approach to the end of humanity is undeniably intriguing, although the story is ironically weakened by the appearance of his somewhat unoriginal “vampire” villains. I would have preferred a creature that didn’t adhere so closely to the historical vampire archetype. His intrapsychic discourse is classic, however, as one never tires of watching the inevitable descent into madness that follows the human transition from normal society into eternal solitary confinement. By far the best par ...more
Mikki
I read this thinking that if was the basis for the movie. Let's call it more of an inspiration piece: kinda like I, Robot the book was an inspiration for I, Robot the movie.

The similarities:
The main character's name is Robert Neville. He did have (previously) a wife and daughter.
He is immune.
He thinks he is the only one left.
There is, at one point, a dog and, at another, a girl.
The others are only seen at night.
He does a few basic medical experiments on them.

That's about it.

The rest is very dif
Eugene Yu
This was way different from the movie version, but quite an enjoyable read, the graphics were outstanding and it really showcased the author's artistry, and was captivating and enthralling to look at, some of the scenes were really scary, but the ending was a little disappointing because it was a blur not like the movie version. The main character here was white not like in the movie, and it really dealt with real vampires. Im not really sure if all the scenes were the same as those i read in th ...more
Dennis
This graphic novel is a disappointment for someone who didn’t want to read actual novel again. This book felt like a novel in its own right. Sentences such as "he turned left into the small hallway" and "left again into his bedroom" get its own panel and drawing. That works in a book, but it is useless to use in a graphic novel that has illustrations. Some panels even show dark figures in panels with no type of explanation. I think the authors may have been confused when writing this because it ...more
Mattkelly
Straight forward adaptation of the classic horror story that helped spawn the entire zombie genre (Night of the Living Dead was highly influenced by it). It has been a while since I read the original but it seems to closely follow the story. The illustration is a bit strange -- the faces don't look quite right, but not in a way that seems intentional. Would love to see what Kirkman and Adlard would do with it. Much better than the disappointment of the Will Smith movie version which has little t ...more
El Templo de las Mil Puertas
No, no nos hemos equivocado de sección, os vamos a hablar de un cómic. Con motivo de la adaptación al cine de la obra de Richard Matheson, Norma Editorial nos brinda la oportunidad de disfrutar de su versión en viñetas. En un mundo devastado por la guerra ha surgido una nueva raza: el vampiro, que ha llevado a los humanos al exterminio. ¿Cómo te sentirías si fueses el último humano sobre la tierra? ¿Quién es el monstruo en una sociedad en que el único elemento extraño eres tú?. . . ¿Cómo es, en ...more
Blue Harvest Creative
This, to me, is one of the greatest graphic novels I have ever read. I have read this and the book. I like this better! To all of you who thought this was based off the Will Smith film it is not. This is based of the original novel and was originally available in the 90s as a four part series. I love the Will Smith film but it only loosely follows the book. The graphic novel has wonderful black and white artwork and is just so well done. If you would like to see a better film adaptation watch "T ...more
Saint No Stopping Us

Seven out of ten.

A graphical novel adaptation of the book.

Sheila
I had worked on the 2007 Will Smith movie and although that was a very good movie in its own right there were significant differences in this graphic novel. The artwork by Elman Brown was stunning and the adaption by Steve Niles was compelling. You felt the protagonist's sorrow and isolation very deeply.
Vampire books have not been one my interests in the past but this graphic novel has peaked my interest and I am going to pursue more works in this genre.
Krista
What a stark take on the vampire legend. The strength of this book's success is in the loneliness of the protagonist's experience. I don't think it is an ideal book for adaptation into a graphic novel because of the dense text an few characters, but it was detailed and well-drawn. I would recommend this to people even if they have seen the Will Smith movie-it's quite a different animal.
Mike Mercurio
I'm more of a zombie fan, but this book on vampires was an enjoyable read. It is a graphic novel, but much of the text and dialogue was kept intact from the original source and it read more like a book than a comic. I like the last man on earth scenario it presented, and the fact that it took place in familiar surroundings made it all the exciting to read when the sun went down.
Toddnick
Too bad they changed the ending for the movie version. There was alot more power in what the book did. It really took a much more humanistic view of how the apocalypse would effect people. The main characters relationship with the vampires in the book is also more local and personal. Some were his former co-workers and friends. The scream his name in the night, because they remember it.
Louise
Mar 30, 2008 Louise rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the film.
After watching the film hiding behind a cushion I eagerly bought the book to devour in the same kind of this-will-give-me-nightmares kind of manner. I was quite disappointed to find out that the book was based around rather listless, almost peaceful vampires, in comparison to the manic, blood thirsty creatures of the film. It is well written but not all as scary as I was expecting.
Quan
It was pretty good. I wasn't a huge fan of the art but it worked alright. It was mainly interesting for me as a contrast to the movie adaptation (I haven't read the original novel because I hate literacy like that). It was more psychological and harsher. The ending was...interesting, more so than the movie, though I can't decide if I like it more or less.
Jimi
Richard Matheson is one of my favorite Horror/ Sci Fi writers. He has tons of great short stories as well. If you don't think you know his work, you probably actually do. He was one of the writers on Twilight Zone and his episodes are some of the most memorable. I read a graphic novel of this, but the one I read had a cooler cover.
Kevin
Dec 12, 2007 Kevin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love classic Horror/Sci-Fi
Shelves: already-read
An excellent novel. This book actually inspired Night of the Living Dead and countless others. Excellent ending as well!! Gives the title it's meaning. Don't watch the Will Smith movie. I haven't seen it, but the trailers make it look like they've bastardized the book.
Heather
I actually listened to this book on CD, and although the reader was a big over the top, the book itself was fascinating. Worlds better than the Will Smith movie, and the ending of the book was much more satisfying and realistic than the movie.
Martin
I read this a couple of years before the movie and really enjoyed it. I saw parts of the movie and thought it sucked. The movie ruined the ending which I will not give away. I really like some of Mathesons other stuff also. Fun easy to read stories.
Austin Adkins
Way different then the movie. I really liked the movie but I loved this book. Just such a classic. Art is off sometimes but other times it hits right on. And I absolutely love the ending! I feel that is what makes it so much better then the movie.
Justapennameforme Fanfiction
It is hard to put this book down, it is an enjoyable horror book. One of the few (if not the only one) that is in my bookshelf. Read it, it is much better than the Will Smith movie, but then a again, most movies fall short of the books.
Mike
Apr 09, 2008 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mike by: Jeremy Hurren
Really great book. I'm nervous to watch the movie, now, because it's sure to disappoint. I really liked how the author portrayed the mental state of the main character. The ending was surprising and very well done, I thought.
Adam
I was amazed, how different is the message in the book from the one in the movie. Actually, the movie with Will Smith doesn't have any message, it's like a chewing gum.

May be movie was filmed for the book not to be read?
This graphic novel expands on Matheson's original work, filling in some of the back story and offering more theories of how the apocalyptic vampire epidemic began. Overall, a fun read if you like "I Am Legend" to begin with.
Andrea
This is the first graphic novel I've read. There was only one tiny part which made any impact on me: the dog appears and dies. Other than that, to me it was just an inflated comic book. Happily, it went fast!
Whitley
This adaptation by Steve Niles with art by the great Elman Brown is a real pleasure. The story flows, the illustrations deserve an award, and the emotional impact is intense. This is something quite special.
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 6: Spreading the Disease
  • Criminal Macabre
  • Afterage
  • Night Of The Living Dead
  • Se7en
  • Nyx: Wannabe
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow (Season 8, One Shot)
  • Blackgas
  • The World Is Dead
  • The Book of All Flesh
STEVE NILES is one of the writers responsible for bringing horror comics back to prominence, and was recently named by Fangoria magazine as one of it's "13 rising talents who promise to keep us terrified for the next 25 years."

Niles is currently working for the four top American comic publishers - Marvel, DC, Image and Dark Horse. He got his start in the industry when he formed his own publishing
More about Steve Niles...
30 Days of Night, Vol. 1 30 Days of Night, Vol. 3: Return to Barrow 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days Rumors of the Undead (30 Days of Night) Mystery Society

“Normalcy was a majority concept, the standard of many and not the standard of just one man.” 13 likes
“Such thoughts were a hideous testimony to the world he had accepted; a world in which murder was easier than hope.” 6 likes