Start by marking “Young Adolf” as Want to Read:
Young Adolf

Young Adolf

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Her seventh book about Adolf Hitler visiting Liverpool.
Published (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Young Adolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Adolf

Perry Whitford
Long before he was leader of the National Socialist German Workers' Party, German Chancellor, Fuhrer of the Third Reich and a murderous megalomaniac of epic and obscene proportions, Adolf Hitler was a penniless failed artist lay-a-bout good for nothing, sleeping in the streets and sponging of anyone who would spare him a crust.
He had been somewhat peripatetic in his early twenties, but did he really come to Liverpool to avoid military conscription on a faked passport and stay with his half-broth
Alex C.
After reading this, I was confused as to...what I just read. It was presented to me as a humorous story but it really wasn't, apart from a few moments where Adolf's outburts [saying this in the voice of a corny sitcom commercial narrator] gets him in to some sticky situations! My major gripe is that this story really could've been about any young lazy kid, but it's only interesting because it's Hitler.

With that said I can't say I hated it since I read it through and some parts made for a good s
Robert Davis
Disappointing fulfillment of an intriguing premise
Lisa Louie
Young Adolf was another book that I read for the Vibes & Scribes book club, and frankly, I struggled to work my way through it. Apparently, this book was Bainbridge's first historical novel, and according to her own remarks, she intended the book to be an homage of sorts to her native Liverpool. If this was the case, her anti-hero protagonist overshadows and renders irrelevant the setting. He is the young Adolf Hitler who, beset by paranoid delusions that he is being pursued, comes to stay w ...more
Andrew
A strange brew indeed! Adolf Hitler meets a real Liverpool welcome! (no they didn't steal his long-johns!)...& the wacky Scousers - such as they are! - see him off to pastures new...to devastating effect! Thanks again!. Seriously, this is an intriguing surmise by Beryl Bainbridge's on Hitler's alleged visit to his half-brother Alois in the city of culture that is the holy city of Liverpool! (All saints..no sinners!).Pity they didn't steal Adolf's hub-caps & big end!
Linda Crosfield
—this one’s a romp! Published in 1978, it’s a novel that conjurs Adolph You-Know-Who at the age of 16 going to Liverpool to visit his half-brother. He’s shy, awkward, rude, socially inept, and in the course of the story we’re given excrutiating scenarios about how he might possibly have done some of the things he did. Numbers on wrists, for example. The forward-combed forelock. It’s fiction, of course, but really, how could you (and why would you) make up a character like him? This is the third ...more
NancyHelen
What a strange story! Young Adolf Hitler allegedly arrives in Liverpool at the end of 1912 to spend time with his half brother, Alois. Adolf is disturbed, self-centred and unpleasant but at this young age one is still able to see the reason for his faults. This book is based on an apocryphal truth, but Bainbridge obviously guesses at the personalities of the people involved. She drops a number of hints of what is to come in Hitler's life, but not so many as to be obvious. As such, this is a subt ...more
Lia
Schokkende ontdekking: Hitler heb ook een moeder. Leuke herinnering is de mondelinge overhoring van mijn klasgenoot Fai. Dat deed de docent klassikaal zodat we van elkaar konden leren lees om zijn krenking publiekelijk en dus dieper te laten zijn. In een (dappere doch vruchteloze) poging tot humor vatte Fai het boek samen als : 'Hitler is crazy', een woedeuitbarsting van de belligerent ghoul tot gevolg hebbend. Terwijl hij stond te tieren, vloog achter zijn rug het kerststukje op zijn bureau in ...more
Gary Stocker
About the few weeks that Adolf Hitler was meant to have spent in Liverpool prior to the first world war. Would actually have been funny if you did not realise what he was to do a few decades down the line. Some of the other charecters in the book almost make him look sane. One or two sentences give chilling hints as to where he was to get some of his ideas from.
Inday-Elie
Jan 09, 2012 Inday-Elie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hitler fans perhaps?
Recommended to Inday-Elie by: no one! just saw this in my grandma's stash :)
Shelves: historical
A novel that portrays the German Dictator Adolf Hitler's youth. Plagued by paranoia and fear of what seems like people who are out to take him, this provides a little insight of what Hitler's early years may be. But one things for sure, I was a bit thrown of by the oddness and almost comical circumstances in which the characters were placed.
Matthew
This book is frosty, and not particularly engaging, though I can't say I disliked it, either. Portraying the young Hitler as someone who ran around and fell down a lot is interesting, but I feel like more could have been done with a real-ish story about a part of the dictator's life that nobody knows anything about.
Emily
Oh, how I wanted to love this. Adolf Hitler's alleged 1910s-ish summer holiday in Liverpool with his brother and sister-in-law? Surprisingly flat, but I'm planning on giving it another go at some point... still hoping I'm off-base.
Antoinette
Maybe the Brits have a sense of humor I don't always get although I love their BBC comedies. The premise of the book was too silly for me.
Malcolm Highfield
An intriguing proposition but something of a curate's egg being neither comedy or an attempt to understand this personification of evil.
Joey
This book is described as being "hilarious". It is not even close to mildly amusing. Great concept. Poor execution.
Jessica
Adolf Hitler as a loathsome Charlie Chaplain.
John Jones
Very amusing - especially the climax.
Matilda
A bit tedious but the ending was good.
Leanne Waring
Leanne Waring marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Warwick Holt
Warwick Holt is currently reading it
May 29, 2015
Ellie M
Ellie M marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Billy Phelan's Greatest Game
  • Adventures in the Rocky Mountains
  • Nothing... Except My Genius
  • From The Meadows of Gold
  • Fighting in Spain (Penguin Great Journeys)
  • De Mensheid Zij Geprezen: Lof Der Zotheid 2001
  • Little Green Man
  • Across the Empty Quarter (Penguin Great Journeys)
  • Bodies
  • Lost Burgundy (Book of Ash, #4)
  • The Adventures of Arthur Conan Doyle: A Biography
  • The Two Georges
  • The Complete Henry Bech
  • The Mysteries of Glass
  • Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 08
  • Jack of Eagles
  • Snakes with Wings and Gold-digging Ants
  • تنهاییِ دمِ مرگ
Dame Beryl Margaret Bainbridge DBE was an English writer from Liverpool. She was primarily known for her works of psychological fiction, often set among the English working classes. Bainbridge won the Whitbread Award twice and was nominated for the Booker Prize five times. In 2008, The Times newspaper named Bainbridge among their list of "The 50 greatest British writers since 1945".
More about Beryl Bainbridge...
Master Georgie The Bottle Factory Outing Every Man for Himself An Awfully Big Adventure The Birthday Boys