Start by marking “Story Time” as Want to Read:
Story Time

Story Time

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  928 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
George and Kate are promised the finest education when they transfer to the Whittaker Magnet School. It boasts the highest test scores in the nation. But at what price? Their school's curriculum is focused on beating standardized tests; classes are held in dreary, windowless rooms; and students are force-fed noxious protein shakes to improve their test performance. Worst o ...more
Published (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Story Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Story Time

Brandy
This struck me as what would happen if Lemony Snicket wrote a book with a more realistic setting and plot. And, um, with demons. And standardized testing. And superweapons. So I guess it's maybe not so realistic at all. But it still had a certain Lemony Snicket-esque vibe in the wordplay and the sarcasm.

Ah, hell. I can't be articulate. I liked it. It was good.
Bark's Book Nonsense
This is a good satire on the current state of our education system and the No Child Left Behind program. In this story 8th grader Kate and her genius uncle George (who is actually younger than her) are invited to attend the Whittaker Magnet School. George, who is a bit of genius, is thrilled but Kate, notsomuch. The Whittaker Magnet School is the last place Kate wants to go. She loves her public school and has been practicing her whole life for the lead in their production of Peter Pan. She's al ...more
Rebecca
Dec 11, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time slogging through it, it didn't really capture my interest. It's intended as a scathing criticism of standardized testing and education, but that's such a minimal part of the book, it's more like tepid criticism. The paranormal parts weren't very interesting or exciting, and the characters, other than Uncle George, were flat. I like demons as much as the next person, but we learned so little about them, where they came from, why they were in the book, and why they liked to hurt ...more
Dan Keating
Aug 20, 2012 Dan Keating rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It legitimately pains me to be writing this review. Bloor's "Tangerine" is, and will probably always be, my favorite young adult novel ever, but after reading his "Crusader" and now this, I've come to accept that Bloor hasn't been able to duplicate the success of his first novel - while duplicating many thematic elements in a way that reveals his writing as somewhat formulaic.

Story Time tells the story of eighth grade Kate and her sixth grade Uncle George and their family, as Kate and George are
Nora
Jun 06, 2009 Nora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: older-elementary
I love Tangerine, so I was expecting to love this. Story Time is about a school that has kids take standardized tests all day, every day, to improve their scores. The government thinks the school is AMAZING from the test scores, but we know better. Bloor's Tangerine was a terrific, funny satire on environmental issues and from this book jacket, I was expecting a similar satire on today's standardized testing. But Bloor added this whole demon thing to the plot that just didn't work. It was a devi ...more
TamTam
Mar 24, 2008 TamTam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads, fantasy, ya
Shelley
Jan 17, 2009 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, urban-fantasy, ya
I loved this. Part ghost-story, part satire, a good story that makes it's point without losing the elements of good storytelling.
If you have a child in public school, you are familiar with the horror that the "Test Based Curriculum." You know, "teaching to the test", meaning standardized testing? Designed by androids whose only desire is to suck every scrap of joy and wonder out of learning, this unmitigated crap is the current standard here in the good old US of A. (Thanks Bush. Don't let the d
*Sklip*
Mar 13, 2011 *Sklip* rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best paranormal book I've read in a long time. It's better than all the paranormal romances that keep coming out lol!

I really liked the idea of a haunted college-prep school that branches out. There's really nothing to say, but it's fast-paced and full of interesting little bits of information and kept my attention the whole time.

I don't really have a favorite character or a hated character in this book for some reason. However, the characters in this book was amazingly created. Each character w
Timon
Feb 03, 2016 Timon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Partnership Book Theme Project (Poetry)
Timon Xu E2

Theme: Prestigious Education is Not for Everybody
The Higher Education - Franklin Pierce Adams

"Father," began the growing youth,
"Your pleading finds me deaf;
Although I know you speak the truth
About the course at Shef.
But think you that I have no pride,
To follow such a trail?
I cannot be identified
With Princeton or with Yale."

"Father," began another lad,
Emerging from his prep;
"I know you are a Princeton grad,
But the coaches have no pep.
Bu
Esteban Mannion
Feb 03, 2016 Esteban Mannion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luisa
I loved this book so much, I read it once, and then read it again aloud to my entire family. Edward Bloor generally writes very serious books about very serious topics. This time, he writes a funny book about a serious topic. This is honestly one of the most hilarious and biting pieces of satire I have ever read. Even my father said that, and that's a big compliment from him. You know satire is good, when you vaguely have to question whether it's real, or you can imagine that it could be real. A ...more
Kristin
This book was Edward Bloor's satiric social commentary on the state of education today, especially standardized testing and No Child Left Behind standards. But it is also more than that! It is a supernatural mystery action-thriller involving a Demon named Jack who possesses certain people during Story Time hour(hence, the book title). Here's the BASIC setup, (which is hard b/c there are so many characters involved in A LOT of plot lines!)

6th grade genius George Melvil and his popular 8th grade c
Randy
Oct 29, 2015 Randy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, humour, family, oct-15
George is a genius. He writes a test to get into what appears to be a prestigious Magnet School, and is accepted. (It turns out that his is the highest test score in the nation!) The school takes the unprecedented path of reworking the boundaries for school districts and because George's house falls into the new school zone, his niece (who is actually two years older than him) also gets to attend. The school, however, does not turn out to be the bastion of education it purports itself to be.

Some
Ally
Apr 20, 2014 Ally rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Story Time isn't funny. It's boring, long, and painful to my eyes. I wished I abandoned the book earlier, but I was so hoping it would turn out for the better. Ah! Investment failure. It's a good thing it was only a library book. It would had been burned to ashes by this time. I hated, hated it. It was terrible.

Nevertheless, I shall mention that this is going to be a short review. I'm afraid I would get carried away in insulting this poor author's work. Yes, it does happen. Yes, it has happened
Elizabeth
Bizarre! I just didn't get it. I listened to it. It cannot be pigeon-holed into a genre. It had elements of the supernatural and evil and an odd interjection of a visit by the First Lady and later by the President of the United States. At the beginning, I was drawn in because of the setting of a library and how the magnet school's unwise choices about education were being ridiculed. Later, however, I just couldn't see how any presidential administration could spend time on these unenlightened ad ...more
Sariah
Feb 16, 2015 Sariah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This not going to be a very well articulated review because I was so frustrated with the book that I don't have any well articulated thoughts. Supposedly this is supposed to be a satire on the state of education in our country. Other than the students taking standardized tests every day,I didn't get the satire. Supposedly this is supposed to be a "horror" book, but other than a plethora of weird deaths and the mention of a demon late into the story, it wasn't really horror, either. Supposedly th ...more
Angelica Galanis
May 13, 2014 Angelica Galanis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, june-14
Kate and a George are promised the best education at their new school, but it must be the creepiest place in all of the U.S.A. The teachers don't go by their real names and the students have a test every single day, but much worst things are happening in the school. Teachers are being possessed. One of the mute staff members befriends Kate and wants to help her and George to get this demon out of the school. George might be a genius by how will he and Kate solve this problem?

I chose this book b
Carriebcook
Apr 15, 2008 Carriebcook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It is a funny satire of the whole "Standardized Testing" in public education. It is a young adult book, but worth the read.
Kayla
Oct 07, 2009 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love fiction books. This was really funny and ironic.It gives a complete different point of towards standardized testing.
Carly
May 21, 2014 Carly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't for me at all. I can understand why some other people would like this book but as a person who hates horror and doesn't see why we need it I hated it. I did finish this book because normally i don't stop reading a book when I'm halfway through it but I was very tempted to. I also didn't fully understand what was going on all the time like when a big thing was happening and one of the main characters got roped into doing something. I also couldn't picture what was going on and I ...more
Josiah
Jul 29, 2010 Josiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1997, author Edward Bloor took the literary world captive with the lightning-fast, suspense-packed writing in his first novel, Tangerine. His follow-up to Tangerine, Crusader, once again teleported readers to a darkly mysterious world in which nothing was quite what it seemed, where people who seemed good could turn out to be the vilest of villains, and those who appeared to be bad might end up saving the day in the end.

Story Time is actually quite different from those earlier books. The plo
Penelope Bartotto
This is another one of those books my teenage daughter brought home from her book club and once she had read it she was pretty adamant that I would like it too. What can I say she knows her mama loves a good book, and she is catching on to what styles of books intrigue me the most. She's been pretty spot on with all of the recommendations she has made. This was no exception!
Ultimately quirky, with some highly unique characters, the story takes you into the twisted and dark side of what education
Amy Snyder
Julie S.
I loved this book. It was such an interesting look at schools and testing. It had so many running references: Peter Pan, the mutant octopus-shaped school district, clogging, Pogo's quote-talking, and best of all, Andrew Carnegie.

My favorite passage:

Whit then resumed. He pointed behind the audience to the entryway. "A brief history lesson: Andrew Carnegie, the nineteenth-century robber baron, near the end of his life, decided to build a series of public libraries as public monuments to himself."

H
Jacki
Jun 02, 2009 Jacki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me about a hundred pages to finally admit that I was into this book. Bloor builds his story carefully. The book is long, but the chapters are short and, honestly, I couldn't tell you what happened in any given chapter. But by the climax, the reader is wrapped up in a very big, crazy, funny, terrible event that goes beyond anything I could have come up with. It's a social satire that turns very dark and hits some pretty creepy notes on the supernatural side. It wraps itself up a little to ...more
Andria
May 21, 2014 Andria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Slogging was a good word for this one. I was definitely surprised and disappointed as I so loved tangerine. It just took so long to work through the story to get to anything. The girl was totally against going to the magnet school and somehow the family takes her anyway. How did that happen after the family said to George that he should do what is best for him in his choice over whether to go or not.
Erin
Aug 16, 2015 Erin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wtf, this book was so weird. Billed as "a bitterly funny satire about the state of modern education"... except then weird demons somehow take up most of the plotline. Also, something about the way conversations were written was SO awkward. Also, what was added to the story by the grandparents being cloggers? NOTHING IT WAS JUST REALLY WEIRD. Seriously, things just did not make sense.
Josh
Jun 26, 2010 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jackie Summers
Aug 16, 2014 Jackie Summers rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I adored London Calling so when a friend gave me this book I was excited to read it, even after she said she didn't like it. Sadly, I quickly realized she was right. The characters quickly annoyed me & I found myself getting distracted mid-sentence. Go read his other wonderful books instead.
Angela Jones-Cuéllar
pooled ink Review:

Edward Bloor has written a story for middle school kids perfect for a late night thrill or a Halloween chill. He combines a fantastic and terrifying blend of young teen fears: school, harsh rules, and poltergeists.

Story Time is a thrilling, spine-tingling, hair-raising encounter of demons lurking in an old dusty library, although the most frightening part may indeed be the school itself and its teaching methods.
Sure to bring the perfect touch of thrilling fear into any kid wh
  • The Big Nap: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure
  • Kissing Tennessee: and Other Stories from the Stardust Dance
  • No Child's Game: Reality TV 2083
  • Dark Waters (The Last Dogs, #2)
  • Nevernever
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • Hidden Talents (Talents, #1)
  • The Long Wait for Tomorrow
  • The Snarkout Boys and the Baconburg Horror (Snarkout Boys, #2)
  • Guess What?
  • Test
  • Dig!
Edward (William) Bloor

Personal Information: Born October 12, 1950, in Trenton, NJ; son of Edward William and Mary (Cowley) Bloor; married Pamela Dixon (a teacher), August 4, 1984. Father to a daughter and a son. Education: Fordham University, B.A., 1973.

Career: Novelist and editor. English teacher in Florida public high schools, 1983-86; Harcourt Brace School Publishers, Orlando, FL, senior editor
More about Edward Bloor...