Start by marking “Cross Dressed to Kill: The Cgd 2011 Holiday Reading Award Winner” as Want to Read:
Cross Dressed to Kill: The Cgd 2011 Holiday Reading Award Winner

Cross Dressed to Kill: The Cgd 2011 Holiday Reading Award Winner

3.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  520 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Wickedly Funny... 'British Black-humor at its very best.' Set in small town Middle England where nothing nasty should happen, this witty thriller will make you laugh, cry, and question one or two of life's quirkier realities. Lying somewhere between Niall Johnson's and Richard Russo's 'Keeping Mum' and CBS televisions 'Dexter' (a serial killer hero - should you love him or ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Cross Dressed to Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cross Dressed to Kill

Alex
Dec 06, 2012 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It started off quite well, light and funny, but towards the middle of the book things started bogging down. The author gets mired in a sea of meticulous descriptions that add nothing to the story but rather subtract from the rhythm. There is a scene where it takes the protagonist five pages to walk a couple of blocks. It's tedious and unnecessary.

There are also a number of coincidences that ultimately lead nowhere. A number of encounters that you spend the rest of the book waiting for them to re
Marie Staight
Jun 07, 2014 Marie Staight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friends and hairdressers!
I just reread this book for our book club. It is one that I just couldn't forget as it was so fresh and different from any other crime/murder/ thriller I have ever read. The story is told in the first person by the main character who is a male hairdresser that has dual personalities - one who kills people and the other that doesn't. What is so fresh about the writing is the author makes the guy who is killing people, the one who is more likeable. Lucas makes the reader root for the hairdresser t ...more
Tracy
Nov 25, 2012 Tracy rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, book-club, 2012
Had this book been about 150 pages shorter and far more carefully edited, it would have been much more enjoyable. I simply can't stand constant typos, misspellings, and poor capitalization, and the "plot" meandered for quite a bit longer than necessary. Had a few funny moments, though.
Lisa
Oct 19, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly good read for 99p!
Julie Haigh
Sep 07, 2013 Julie Haigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Julie by: Amazon recommendations email
I was reading another book at the time when I saw this book on an Amazon recommendations email. I hadn't heard of the author before but I like crime books so as it was only 77p I thought I would give it a go. As a different genre to my other book the idea was I'd read both of these as one a traditional book and this one on my kindle. I had a bit of a dip into this book and just couldn't put it down. It's got murder in it and at times is quite funny. I know it shouldn't be but it was just some of ...more
Christine Vinciguerra
It's really hard for me to like a book when I don't like / affiliate with any of the characters. I just didn't care about the main character(s), or any of the people he "offed."

Add to that the numerous typos and grammar mistakes, and this became a difficult read for me.
Stephen Clynes
Nov 03, 2011 Stephen Clynes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was released as a 575 KB Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2011. This is not your usual crime thriller but a humorous anthropological study of Britain today. This story is written in the first person, from the point of view of a male hairdresser working alone in a fictitious small British town. He is a lovely, likeable character with a sharp wit about anybody and everything. This book covers a lot of ground and confronts lifestyles and people's prejudices. Andrew Lucas has a good ...more
Conor Mac Gabhann
Entertaining enough.

Thoughtful enough. All the ends were tied up. Some major jumps and too easy for the author to skip some detail simply by saying that it was unnecessary.
Alison Powell
Amusing and had one laughing at murder but then became ludicrous and implausible. Did not finish it. Story about a hairdresser who kills off some of his clients
Kate Tenbeth
Oct 30, 2011 Kate Tenbeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book by mistake on my Kindle (pressed the wrong button...) but having bought it, I then settled down to read it no knowing quite what to expect! It took some time to get into the story but once I did I have to say that I enjoyed it. At points the storyline was very black but the author somehow still managed to retain humour. The main character was very realistic - very definitely a hairdresser under stress and I'm sure I've come across a few of his obnoxious customers! The only thi ...more
Jill Hill
Jan 10, 2015 Jill Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was hilarious. See if you can resist the urge to sympathise with a ruthless killer. Highly recommended for a night of light enjoyment.
Lisa
Apr 07, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book was something I downloaded off of my Kindle for only 1.99, the best 1.99 I have ever spent.

This book had me gripped from beginning to end, it was fab. The characters are so vivid that you can imagine most of them living in your town or on your street. The descriptive language that Andrew Lucas uses actually made me feel like I personally knew the characters. The situations I can actually feel like I'm in them.

This book is not the kind of book that I usually read but the reviews made me
Martha Miller
I stopped reading it. It wasn't awful, just not interesting to me. Wish what I read was as good as the title. I gave it 100 pages and moved on.
Carol Hessler
Feb 22, 2014 Carol Hessler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much fun!
Lee Petersen
Dec 08, 2012 Lee Petersen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't actually finish it. I realised I'd been avoiding my kindle for about two months because I was struggling to get through this book, so at 26% of the way through I decided to call it quits and give up. It started off well and I thought it would be something I would enjoy but I just couldn't relate to the character or his elderly clients. Shame really, I hate not being ale to fish a book!
Oct 12, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars for this book simply because it really surprised me. It is a murderous romp about a hairdresser who starts killing off his annoying customers and is really funny. Definitely not to be taken too seriously, but some very good turns of phrase and characterization. 4 stars for entertaining me thoroughly.
Tim Pickles
Dec 06, 2012 Tim Pickles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Poor. I'm not sure why I bothered to keep going with this book. It vaguely entertained, but the story is weak, the characters only semi-believable, .... and there are a vast number of irritating typos scattered throughout the text. Was this book self-published? It certainly hadn't been properly edited.
Lynn
Sep 26, 2012 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting novel about a serial killer... Strangely, the author manages to keep your sympathy with the killer, in spite of what he does, right until the end. I enjoyed it tho did find a few typos in it (not sure if that's to do with Kindle or if they're in the book proper). Definitely worth a read... :-D
Charlene Barber
Aug 31, 2012 Charlene Barber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was funny and kept me guessing throughout. I learned to like the crazy main character and warmed to his vast array of friends and family.
The ending felt a little rushed bit was great. Definitely had laugh out loud moments and gripping killings! Highly recommended by me.
Chris
May 11, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
This book was one I thought what have I let myself in for but I soon got gripped by it and enjoyed it - the descriptions throughout the book were fabulous and I could understand the lead character. I had to get to the end to find out what happened - u couldn't guess the ending :)
Lynne
Jul 11, 2012 Lynne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Found it quite disappointing. Mildly entertaining only beginning about half way through. I've never not finished a book I've started, but I had to force myself multiple times to keep going. Picked up in the second half, but I never did find it to be as funny as was suggested.
Dawn
Jan 01, 2014 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely an unexpected story! I enjoyed the humor and story, but the editing/proofreading was weak.
zenbren
Sep 01, 2011 zenbren rated it liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable read. Macabre topic ofcourse-but the unusual and humourous treatment is so refreshing. It's an incredibly insightful profile of tortured, lonely souls and the weird worlds seemingly normalpeople can inhabit.Loved it.
Ceri
Apr 08, 2012 Ceri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isle of Wight author .... but it's not set on the island. Good if slightly strange read. Not a typical thriller ... you know 'who-dunnit' ... it's a will-he-do-it-more-&-get-caught plot. A bit like a Tom Sharpe style farce.
Desiree

Light-hearted, dark humor fun and fast read. Just when the book slowed down in the last quarter Mr Lucas injected an unexpected twist. A feel great read that would make an killer movie
Grahambootle
As the number of stars indicates, it was OK. The characters were flat and two dimensional, the plot was plodding and predictable. May read more by this author but not in a hurry.
Geoff Peters
Hilarious is not the word I would use to describe it and finishing the book was more of an obligation than a pleasure. I liked it, but didn't love it. Not sure I would recommend it either.
Susan Waymark
This is a good book with some funny moments. The main characters thought processes lead him into trouble. Its not laugh out loud funny as it is written to dry for this but it is funny.
Anne
Apr 25, 2013 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with amusing but not amazing. A good diversion and relatively light dark humor. I think this needs very careful editing. It is formulaic with very little surprise.
Paula Robson
Was a bit dissapointed with this book, took me a while to finish reading it just couldn't seem to get into the storey. The book seemed to pick up a bit in the second part.
  • William Walker's First Year Of Marriage: A Horror Story