Start by marking “Close Your Eyes” as Want to Read:
Close Your Eyes

Close Your Eyes

3.42  ·  Rating Details ·  2,712 Ratings  ·  333 Reviews
In Close Your Eyes, the author of the bestselling How to Be Lost spins another mesmerizing tale of buried family secrets.

For most of her life, Lauren Mahdian has been certain of two things: that her mother is dead, and that her father is a murderer.

Before the horrific tragedy, Lauren led a sheltered life in a wealthy corner of America, in a town outside Manhattan on the ba
Audio, 0 pages
Published July 26th 2011 by Random House Audio (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Close Your Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close Your Eyes

Amanda Ward
May 11, 2011 Amanda Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was really stunning.
Alison
Aug 08, 2011 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of taking a master class with Amanda Eyre Ward, and so read her novels with the pleasure of some insight into the way in which she crafts them and a deep respect for the challenges that underlie giving birth to a novel. I found Close Your Eyes a solid read with moments of piercing insight, truth, and pain, and a compelling story that kept me turning pages long after I should have turned the light out and gone to bed. Without giving anything away, I agree with some of the other ...more
Michelle
Aug 14, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Amanda Eyre Ward is one of my favorite authors and one of the very, very few for whom I’ll read any book they write. I didn’t love this as much as some of her others but it is still beautifully written, intriguing, and, as always, the multi-narrative structure is executed perfectly. Although I have to say it bugged me that the kids’ ages on the jacket cover are different than what is actually in the story. Not the author’s fault of course! But when you're talking kids 10 and 8 is a lot different ...more
Amy
Oct 07, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by this author. Overall it was fine - a very quick read. There were parts that captivated me and I enjoyed, especially the brother/sister relationship and Alex's story. I also liked how the author made Gerry an understanding, empathatic boyfriend....very refreshing!!!

I was shocked to start reading "Book 2" where it picks up with new characters, but that twist did leave me wanting to know how the characters related. I enjoyed the different facets of this storyli
Andrea
Aug 18, 2011 Andrea rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
Ugh. I did not like this at all.

It was so short, it could almost qualify as a short story. While I have no problems with short stories, I do have a problem when I pay for something that is considered a novel, and is not. But, I am not even considering this in my review. That was just a bit of an annoyance.

The writing was juvenile. The conversations were very unnatural. If the author would have read these aloud, she probably would have noticed.

The scenes with the therapist were terribly unrealist
Lauren Mahdian and her brother, Alex have grown up haunted by the murder of their mother. Their father was convicted of the crime and has spent over 20 years in prison. Lauren is convinced of his guilt; Alex of his innocence. Lauren allows this truth to run her life, most significantly her relationship with her long-time boyfriend, Gerry. She's refused his numerous marriage proposals, seeing first-hand what "love" can do. When Alex surprises Lauren with the news that he is headed to Baghdad, Ira ...more
Lisa
Aug 27, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Close Your Eyes by Amanda Eyre Ward

If you love complex characters, vivid imagery, and dark, haunting secrets, Close Your Eyes will not disappoint. The book is Austin, Texas-based author Amanda Eyre Ward’s fifth. I’ve been a fan since her first novel, Sleep Toward Heaven, was released in 2003.

On her website, Ward shares that the idea behind Close Your Eyes began to form in 1989 after terror struck near her sleepy, idyllic hometown: a husband and wife had been stabbed to death in their own bedroom
Michele
Oct 25, 2011 Michele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the story was fairly predictable, the writing was inelegant, and sometimes just wrong. At one point the author made up a word when there was another form of the word that was exactly the concept she was seeking. I wish I had made a note of it at the time, but it bothered me quite a bit. She wrote about places and characters (and the dog) without having introduced them, so I was left wondering if I had missed something. In addition, the narrator of the first part, Lauren, struggles with ...more
Jessica
Jan 15, 2012 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Lauren is a woman with Issues. She's earned them, no doubt, but still. Her father was convicted of murdering her mother when Lauren was six, leaving Lauren and her older brother Alex to be raised by their grandparents. As an adult, Lauren has all but blocked out memories of these events, though she has never doubted her father's guilt until Alex declares his own doubts shortly before leaving for a Doctors Without Borders assignment to Iraq. Around this time, Lauren begins experiencing panic atta ...more
Karen
Oct 09, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit to really struggling to the finish with this book. It started off with an interesting premise – it is 1986 and Lauren Mahdian and her elder brother Alex are sleeping in a tree house in the garden on the night their mother Jordan is murdered. Their Egyptian father, Izaan, is found guilty of the murder and sent to prison; the two children go to live with their maternal grandparents Merilee and Morton, whose behaviour did seem quite harsh and unfeeling and it’s probably no surprise ...more
Diane
Nov 06, 2011 Diane rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-books-read
Back in 1986, when Lauren was only six and her brother Alex was eight, their mother was murdered as the children slept outdoors in their tree house. Their father was arrested and subsequently convicted of the murder. The children were sent to live with their grandparents, but for the most part grew up in boarding schools.

Twenty-plus years later Lauren and Alex are grown, Alex is a doctor, and is in Iraq working with Doctors Without Boarders. Lauren is in real estate and lives with her boyfriend
Amy
Sep 13, 2011 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This was a decent idea destroyed by poor workmanship (and editing). (Warning: there are some spoilers here!)

Detail mistakes abound, and plot points slip in and out of importance. I couldn't get into the story because I was too distracted with all the problems. Where to start? The bookjacket says she was 6 when her mother died and the intro says that was 1986. First chapter is 2010 and she's 32... HUH? Basic math people.. Further along she states that she was 8 one year after the funeral... Not l
Shonna Froebel
This is a novel with a mystery at its heart, but also a novel of loss and of family. We follow two women. One is Lauren, who mother was killed when she was a small girl. Lauren's father was arrested and convicted of the crime, and Lauren and her brother Alex went to live with their maternal grandparents. But Lauren has never really dealt with her loss, and Alex has spent years trying to find evidence to clear his father. Now Alex is leaving to go to Afghanistan as part of a Doctors without Borde ...more
For Books' Sake
Close Your Eyes is Amanda Eyre Ward’s fourth novel, following the critically acclaimed Forgive Me and How to be Lost. It weaves the stories of two women, Lauren and Sylvia, both struggling to cope in the modern USA.

Lauren takes the centre stage in what begins as the commentary of a family deconstructing. A well-written, believable but ultimately pitiable character, she clings to a nostalgic version of a childhood destroyed by the murder of her mother, and subsequent incarceration of her father.

Christina
Sep 01, 2011 Christina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-pick
This is really more of a novella than a book, which means at least you flip through it quickly!

It is completely obvious from the get go and the ending is too easy and clean. I am not sure that the writing or the story really offer much to readers.

Plus I really found Lauren-- one of the key characters to be poorly composed and whiny.

One element the author does well with is capturing a sense of place. I grew up in suburban CT, which is much like Holt. I loved the old time references to an 80's eas
Jeanie
Dec 06, 2011 Jeanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder, mystery, and what the heck is going on? When I got half way thru this book, it introduced new characters that I am thinking did I miss something. It is brought all together and ends somewhat well. I was disspointed that Sylvia just dissappeared from it all when she needed family the most. I do have to say I think the book was cleverly written. Usage of the Fword which I don't think s needed.
Amanda Cowher
Sep 16, 2015 Amanda Cowher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of love, loss, choices, and the pursuit to not feel alone. There are many characters whose purpose won't be figured out until close to the end. This is also a mystery of whodunit and why. When I felt I had figured it out, I was given a big surprise. The writing is flows smoothly and is full of emotions. You will not always agree with the characters' choices, but that makes you feel they're real people with common problems.
Stacey
Aug 04, 2011 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Close Your Eyes. When I put the book down, I could not wait to get back to it. There were comments about editing, but I was unphased. Not since Sleep Toward Heaven have I felt the tension in Ward's prose relating to family, faith, and truth. There was so much more I wanted to know about the characters and what happens to them after that last page!
Charlotte Guzman
Dec 03, 2015 Charlotte Guzman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this author and loved this book. I have read couple of her other books and she has become one of my favorites.
This story, as her others, pulled me into the life's of the main characters of Lauren and Sylvia. The author always gets into the head of her characters and their emotions.
I highly recommend her books if you want a short and intense read.
Eileen
Oct 19, 2011 Eileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her mother murdered, her father found guilty of the crime, Lauren holds on to the memory or that horrific night, her only anchor is her brother Alex. But while Lauren is sure of her father's guilt, Alex is intent upon proving his innocence. Well written.
Marnie
Jun 08, 2011 Marnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, drama
A nice read with a happy ending. Family secrets start to unfold, when a sister was thought to have lost her brother volunteering in Iraq. The nightmares she has thus suffered become resolved when the truth is revealed that her father indeed is not a killer and was wrongly convicted.
Jackie
Jan 10, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
The first book I've really liked since Bristol palin's memoir broke me. I think my ability to read has been restored.
Michelle
Sep 05, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book and a fast read. Some parts were predictable but overall a good book.
Meg
Jul 30, 2011 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this novel. It's one part literary whodunit and one part poetic and moving contemplation of family, with a nice dose of hope thrown in at the end. Just really lovely!
Stephanie
I was really excited to read this because I won it in a book give away... but it felt like the writing could have used some more editing. I skimmed over lots of it just so I could get to the end.
Lesley
Jun 08, 2014 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read this in the pool when i wasnt sneezing (allergies bad today). fast read. at first i didnt like book but after awhile it made sense.
Cynthia Archer
Sep 28, 2011 Cynthia Archer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The years after a crime create havoc in the lives affected, but in the end there is a chance for healing and real living. Nice story line and an interesting turn of events.
Jeanine
Feb 15, 2017 Jeanine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this author. She is definitely one of my favorites.
I really enjoyed this book.
I loved the mystery aspect, the chick lit like details of food and real estate and relationships and the literary level themes of loneliness despite not being alone, forgiveness and hope.
The only reason I'm giving a 4 and not a 5 is because it's not my favorite of all the Amanda Eyre Wards I've read. My favorite is "Forgive Me".
Bree T
Lauren has always been convinced that her father murdered her mother when she was 6 and her older brother Alex was 8. After a dinner party where she’d seen her father acting jealous of a present a friend had bought their mother, Alex and Lauren spent the night in their treehouse. When they went inside in the morning, their mother was dead, beaten with a glass bottle.

Their father was arrested and sent to jail and Lauren and Alex were sent to live with their distant grandparents and educated in bo
Andrea
Jan 21, 2017 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I liked the main characters (Lauren and Alex) and their story. Then book two introduced new characters and the stories just never fit right for me. The ending was also a little disappointing. I am the kind of person that likes a book to end with a nice, tidy bow wrapping up all my questions.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Sep 21, 2015 01:03PM
  • The Life You've Imagined
  • After You
  • Girls in Trouble
  • Long Gone
Amanda Eyre Ward was born in New York City in 1972. Her new novel, THE NEARNESS OF YOU, will be published on Valentine's Day, 2017. She lives in Austin, TX with her family.

More about Amanda Eyre Ward...