Start by marking “Pieces Of Light” as Want to Read:
Pieces Of Light

Pieces Of Light

Hugh Arkwright's remote childhood in the Central African bush, and its sudden disruption, leaves him with a legacy of magic, mystery, and tragic loss. Late in his life, he returns to the gaunt house in Ulverton where he was brought up by his eccentric uncle, and finds that the old ghosts still walk. The more he excavates his own past, the deeper he finds the traces of anci ...more
Published September 30th 1999 by Vintage (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Pieces Of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pieces Of Light

Christine Covil
Feb 02, 2013 Christine Covil rated it it was ok
I was gripped by the first few chapters – Hugh’s early childhood in the Cameroon beginning with the gorilla incident – his transplantation to pre-war England at the age of seven to the home of his eccentric uncle who is obsessed with the wildwood and paganism – the leopard society which carries out human sacrifice – but between pages 139 – 417 where Hugh goes through the war, gets into acting, becomes a director and goes insane, I lost the sense of adventure and discovery.

Adam Thorpe is an exce
Kirsty Archer-Thompson
I have to agree with other reviewers.The author is a real wordsmith and the first quarter of Pieces of Light is really engaging.Hugh's breakdown really slows the pace and makes the act of reading this book a little cumbersome.The whodunnit element also seemed utterly bizarre, as did most of Ulverton's inhabitants!Fizzled out rather unceremoniously with an ending you can see coming from a mile off!
Commander Law
Nov 29, 2015 Commander Law rated it did not like it
Shelves: africa
I seldom leave a book once I start it, however. This started well with the early years, but I ground through part two to page 171 and gave up. I just wasn't interested enough to find out what happened to whom and to confirm my suspicions. It may also be that I was given the book when I had nothing else to read and now have books of my choice waiting.
Hugh
Jul 02, 2014 Hugh rated it it was amazing
I'm surprised there are no positive reviews of this book here. Unfortunately it is a long time since I read it, so I can't really remember what impressed me, but I know that I found it very absorbing and enjoyable.
Clare
Jul 23, 2012 Clare rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book started off with lots of promise, but got bogged down through the middle and only picked up steam near the end. Even then, the ending was not as cut and dried as one would hope.
Kay
Apr 14, 2008 Kay rated it did not like it
Dull and slow. Couldn't finish it but read the ending and was right about the parentage issue. Too depressing.
Katie Lynn
Mar 04, 2016 Katie Lynn rated it it was ok
Loved the first bit, even commented to a book club group that it was astounding writing, but utterly disenchanted by the rest.
Peter Van
Peter Van rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Claire Polders
Claire Polders rated it it was ok
May 04, 2013
Emma
Emma rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2013
Cassie
Cassie rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2011
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2013
Carol Clark
Carol Clark rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Ollie Powell
Ollie Powell rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2015
John M
John M rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Susmita Bose
Susmita Bose rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Chrissie
Chrissie rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2016
Arowhena Nosnibor
Arowhena Nosnibor rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Catherine
Aug 28, 2012 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Nobody conveys a sense of place better than Adam Thorpe
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Karen Kleijn
Karen Kleijn rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2017
Paul Dembina
Paul Dembina rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Cooch
Cooch rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Samarpita
Samarpita rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2013
Asedge
Asedge rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
May 07, 2012
Notcathy J
Jun 15, 2007 Notcathy J rated it liked it
"had to read the whole book twice. Not exactly sure it was worth it, but at least interesting."
Angrboda Lyndasdottir
Angrboda Lyndasdottir rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2013
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Adam Thorpe is a British poet, novelist, and playwright whose works also include short stories and radio dramas.

Adam Thorpe was born in Paris and grew up in India, Cameroon, and England. Graduating from Magdalen College, Oxford in 1979, he founded a touring theatre company, then settled in London to teach drama and English literature.

His first collection of poetry, Mornings in the Baltic (1988), w
More about Adam Thorpe...