Start by marking “The Tightrope Men” as Want to Read:
The Tightrope Men

The Tightrope Men

Published 1974 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Tightrope Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tightrope Men

Dipanjan
Jan 28, 2013 Dipanjan rated it it was ok
The plot, in the age of modern espionage, is outdated. Having said so, even then this is a pretty plain jane thriller. It starts off with cool opening, but fails to capitalise on it. It does not have any OMG moments. It's just a linear story which is lost somewhere between an adventure and espionage. The protagonist is not that strong and the adversaries are close to non-existent. The last bit can be defined as a bit "realistic" in the decisions made in the higher levels of espionage wherein a f ...more
Monica Akinyi Odhiambo
Sep 15, 2013 Monica Akinyi Odhiambo rated it it was amazing
Why I loved this book, it reminded me of Faceoff. The legendary movie that had, Nicholas Cage and John Travolta. Anyway this novel had me turning the pages so fast just to know what would happen next. Desmond Bagley is amongst the best thrillers writers of his time and am glad I got to read one of his books.
Jo Everett
Sep 02, 2014 Jo Everett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an unlikely but addictive read, as confirmed by a friend. Once you start to wind your way through the mystery of Deneson's existence you won't be able to put it down. Embedded in the Cold War era, this simple looking thriller, reminiscent of the Manchurian Candidate, is easy to read but highly enjoyable!
Sandi
Though some of the plot points were quite ludicrous, this was a fun and entertaining Cold War adventure thriller. The action started in Norway and soon moved to both Finland and the Soviet Union and, like all the author's works, it was well written and researched.
Charles
Nov 15, 2010 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books
This IMHO is the best of Bagley's books. I love the concept and the execution.
Eva
Sep 14, 2009 Eva rated it liked it
I read this book in junior high and the title alone has stuck with me all these years. I think it's worth a re-read.
Lars Dradrach
Jan 27, 2013 Lars Dradrach rated it liked it
As a child/teenager I absolutely loved the ”simple” suspense novels by Desmond Bagley & Alistair MacLean, eating up every word. Triggered by an audio adaption of Landslide I fell upon, I decided to revisit Desmond Bagley to see if the Novels could withstand the wear of more than 35 years.

The first (pleasant) surprise was that even though I thought I had read all the books, not all were translated to Danish at that time, so I could start out with a couple of new experiences.

The Golden Keel (1
Richard Pearse
Dec 20, 2016 Richard Pearse rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-from-my-youth
I enjoyed this as a teenager; I think it would be a great holiday read for any adventure story lover.
George
Oct 01, 2011 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Με το πρόσωπο ενός άλλου", εκδόσεις ΒΙΠΕΡ.

Το καλύτερο βιβλίο που έχω διαβάσει από τον Ντέσμοντ Μπάγκλεϊ μέχρι στιγμής και σίγουρα λίγο πιο διαφορετικό από τα υπόλοιπα. Πρώτα-πρώτα οι περιγραφές είναι σε τρίτο πρόσωπο, ενώ σε όλα τα προηγούμενα βιβλία του ήταν σε πρώτο πρόσωπο. Δεύτερον, όλα τα υπόλοιπα βιβλία ήταν απλά περιπετειώδη έργα με κυνηγητά για κάποιον θησαυρό, ενώ τώρα ήταν ένα πολιτικό/κατασκοπευτικό θρίλερ με αρκετό μυστήριο, ειδικά στην αρχή του βιβλίου, και σίγουρα αρκετή δράση και
Libbeth
Apr 23, 2009 Libbeth rated it really liked it
Review from Amazon:
Book Description
Giles Denison's life is turned upside down when he awakes to find himself in a luxurious hotel in Oslo and, peering into the bathroom mirror, discovers the face of another man! He has been kidnapped from his flat in London and transformed into famous Finnish scientist, Dr Harold Feltham Meyrick. Compelled to adjust to his new persona (including meeting his daughter) and to play out the role assigned to him by his captors, he embarks on a dangerous escapade from
Rasma
Jun 07, 2016 Rasma rated it liked it
A good little Cold War spy thriller containing all the features one expects of such a book and nothing more. A great source of examples of unnecessary adverbial dialogue tags (she said, sardonically). I got hooked at the outset by the well described setting of downtown Oslo. A lot of Scandinavian landscape. Bagley has done his homework.
Christine
Sep 05, 2015 Christine rated it really liked it
My first ever 'adult' book that I read. My mom had it in her book case and it totally blew me away. I made a very slow progression from 'childrens' books to 'adult' books - I stayed in the childrens' shelves in the library for a long time. But after reading the Tightrope men I was hooked on reading more adult novels.
Felicity Fozard
Nov 24, 2016 Felicity Fozard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Desmond Bagley writes a great action adventure novel. His heroes are usually scientific types caught up in the spying game, or spies themselves. Despite being written in the 60's & 70's, they still get you caught up in the action. I'm surprised none of them have ever been made into a movie.
J.T.
Jul 23, 2014 J.T. rated it liked it
A good espionage thriller, propulsive and engaging, and a kind of a prototype for the film Face/Off. Quick easy read, but with little lasting impact.
Nagesh Kumar
Nov 19, 2013 Nagesh Kumar rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense-mystery
Spellbinding..thrilling ride all the way..a kind of new take on impersonation and Amnesia...Kept me turning pages till there were no more...Bagley is a master, no doubt
Jonn Blane
Jun 26, 2010 Jonn Blane rated it it was amazing
Awesome !
Troy
Jun 13, 2014 Troy rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, 2014
Listened to 7 hours, got a little lost in the end and gave up. Plot and characters not enough to keep me interested.
Kitta Pálsdóttir
Aug 06, 2014 Kitta Pálsdóttir rated it liked it
Í minningunni var hún sennilega enn betri. En góður þráður og spennandi hvernig allt þróaðist.
Colin Whittaker
Aug 23, 2016 Colin Whittaker rated it it was ok
I think this was one of Desmond Bagley's weaker plot lines.
7paradise
7paradise rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Renee Bennett
Renee Bennett rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Joanna
Joanna rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Valerie Ling
Valerie Ling rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Jonathan Hopkins
Jonathan Hopkins rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2011
Linipoos
Linipoos rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2014
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2014
Martin Riley
Martin Riley rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2015
Gypsydawn
Gypsydawn rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2012
  • Seawitch
  • Alistair MacLean's Time of the Assassins
  • A Prayer for the Dying
  • The Blue Ice
  • Wild Justice
Desmond Bagley was a British journalist and novelist principally known for a series of best-selling thrillers. Along with fellow British writers such as Hammond Innes and Alistair MacLean, Bagley established the basic conventions of the genre: a tough, resourceful, but essentially ordinary hero pitted against villains determined to sow destruction and chaos in order to advance their agenda.

Bagley
More about Desmond Bagley...