Start by marking “Lord Kirkle's Money (Beyond the Western Sea, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lord Kirkle's Money (Beyond the Western Sea, #2)

Lord Kirkle's Money (Beyond the Western Sea #2)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  444 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Maura and Patrick have escaped the desperate poverty and danger of leaving home in Ireland to face even greater peril as they continue their daring voyage to the New World with their friend Laurence Kirkle. Aboard ship, they are crowded into the stench-filled pit of steerage, where they come face to face with illness and death, trying their best comfort and protect eight-y ...more
Published April 1st 1998 by HarperTrophy (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Lord Kirkle's Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Kirkle's Money

Holes by Louis SacharThe Giver by Lois LowryConductoid by M.B. LehaneThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Magic of Finkleton by K.C. Hilton
Books for twelve-year-old children
104th out of 712 books — 818 voters
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba BrayRebel Angels by Libba BrayThe Sweet Far Thing by Libba BrayThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Teen Historical Novels
191st out of 539 books — 946 voters

More lists with this book...

Mara
"Lord Kirkle's Money" picks right up where "The Escape from Home" left off, and while the Author offers a sort of recap in the first few chapters, it isn't a very good idea to let much time lapse between reading this one and its prequel. But if a Reader is unfortunate enough to do so, Avi's hundreds of characters are not so easily forgotten, and it won't take long to recall the important things from Book One.

This installment offers up a number of new characters along with the old, each one addin
Eileen
May 17, 2016 Eileen rated it really liked it
The book plunges into the next chapter after the first book "Escape from Home", and as it had been a couple of years since I read the first book, I could not remember some of the secondary characters and plotlines. I stopped reading, till I found "Escape from Home" in the library, and quickly browsed through it to recall what had happened. before I resumed the second book.
The story is well told, with short chapters focusing on different characters. Many of the characters and storylines from Lond
Pandora
Jan 17, 2009 Pandora rated it did not like it
Read this one with a bit of chip on the ole shoulder. I was upset that the first book doesn't really end. The frist book ends with a character hoping he will be let out of a crate. The second book begins not with chapter one but, with chapter 75. This makes book two not a sequel but, a continuation of the frist book. Though it would had made a long book it would of been more honest to publish book one and two together.

The other problem I had with book two is that I was getting tired of the story
Books Kids Like
Oct 17, 2015 Books Kids Like rated it really liked it
The voyage to America is filled with peril. The steerage holds reek with unwashed humanity. Laurence hides himself amongst the cargo at the bottom of the boat, and Patrick helps Laurence at the risk of his own safety. Mr. Clemspool is onboard with the pickpocket, Toby Grout, who stole Laurence’s money back in London. During the passage, they experience a terrible storm, and a shipboard epidemic kills many passengers in steerage. When the Robert Peel lands in Boston, Maura and Patrick devise a sc ...more
Tweety
Apr 19, 2014 Tweety rated it it was amazing
I adore this series. They are not stand alone, and should really just be combined, I read an edition from the library that was two in one. Thank goodness! It flows so well that it's a shame they break it up where they do. Is it so people don't get scared off by the size? I recommend this to all who like historical fiction, this book was so real.

Some language, mainly Jesus, Joseph and Mary.
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog (for the whole series)

I have to say that I was rather disappointed with the series. I guess it comes from reading a ton of other books written in the same era and written poorly.

While these books were not written poorly neither did they sparkle and entertain. I almost know the end outcome of the books before I read more than a few chapters.

Avi also dragged the plot of the books down with too many extraneous characters and subplot lines. For a children's book I had troub
Jenny
Shelves: avi
Best ever!
Sally
Oct 03, 2012 Sally rated it liked it
I was surprised that even though this was the second in a series, it didn't use the first 3 chapters getting me caught up with what had already happened. It just picked up where it left off. Avi lets you experience the trip across the Atlantic in the 1850's and then see what Boston was like in those times. One conflict was the frustration they had with the Irish immigrants so I thought it was quite timely the way they showed the prejudice felt. Good story.
Christy
Sep 29, 2011 Christy rated it really liked it
Maura and Patrick have escaped the desperate poverty and danger of leaving home in Ireland to face even greater peril as they continue their daring voyage to the New World with their friend Laurence Kirkle. Aboard ship, they are crowded into the stench-filled pit of steerage, where they come face to face with illness and death, trying their best comfort and protect a small girl whose parents and brother died.
Dawn
Oct 12, 2014 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dawn by: School
•‼¶§!"#$%&'()*+,-./23456789;<=>?@ABCDEFZ[\]^_`abcdz{|}~ÇéâäàåçêæÆôöòûùÿÖÜùσµτñÄIM-ñ

alt + 1 =
alt + 2 =
alt + 3 =
alt + 4 =
alt + 987 =
alt + 0241 = ñ
But you have to use the numbers on the right, not the ones on the top.
Michele
I learned much about the conditions of Irish immigration. I had no idea prejudice against Irish immigrants was so pernicious and malevolent. A good read for history, adventure, and an exploration into social movements and individual choice.
Kenyan
Feb 25, 2012 Kenyan rated it really liked it
book two finds Patrick and his sister, along with Laurence and the rest, in America trying to make their way. but where is lord kirkle's money? What is Laurence's brother doing in America?
Brett
Aug 26, 2012 Brett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was really good. I really liked the story it self it is the second book in the series the first was really good too didn't rate it because they don't the edition I read.

Emily
Mar 27, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
The second half of this adventure was more thralling and I love how all of the characters' lives seem to intersect and entwine together. Six degrees of separation. Action pack with a pow!
Renee
Jul 02, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, but it seems like one to only read once. While reading this series of books, I was able to get a very clear image in my mind of what everything looked like.
Brittany
Sep 23, 2010 Brittany rated it liked it
This was a good book, but there was some disappointment with some of the ending. So I can't love this book, although I'm glad I read these two books.
Sue Carr
Jan 10, 2012 Sue Carr rated it it was amazing
Still love the series. All the comments I made for the first boook in this series apply here. Wonderful, wonderful read, and satisfying ending.
Marilyn Elison
Jan 19, 2011 Marilyn Elison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuation of the saga, one I hope Avi will finish some day.
Colin
Nov 14, 2012 Colin rated it really liked it
this book was really good and a lot better from the first one.
Juliette
Aug 16, 2011 Sheryl rated it liked it
interesting immigrant trilogy
Paula
Aug 27, 2010 Paula rated it it was amazing
Read "The Escape Home" first, then Lord Kirkle's Money. Nonhistorical fiction book about the irish-american's hardship. Well written.
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Carina
Carina added it
Jul 16, 2016
Anna Adams
Anna Adams rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Maggie Brewer
Maggie Brewer rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Megan
Megan added it
Jul 09, 2016
Thomas Pascale
Thomas Pascale rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
  • Prairie River: Hope Springs Eternal (Prairie River, #4)
  • A Coalition of Lions (The Lion Hunters, #2)
  • The Ballad of Lucy Whipple
  • Beyond the Burning Time
  • Turn Homeward, Hannalee
  • The Cookcamp
  • The Drackenberg Adventure (Vesper Holly #3)
  • Shakespeare's Scribe (Shakespeare Stealer, #2)
  • Steal Away Home
  • Mine Eyes Have Seen
  • Katie and the Mustang #2 (Hoofbeats: Katie and the Mustang, #2)
  • Becoming Nancy
  • Maggie's Door (Nory Ryan)
  • Angeline
  • Banished Children of Eve:  A Novel of Civil War New York
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use." Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and the Crispin series. His work is popular among readers young and old.
More about Avi...

Beyond the Western Sea (2 books)
  • The Escape from Home (Beyond the Western Sea #1)

“Not for nothing are they called deadlines. By the time you reach the final line, sir, you are indeed dead.” 6 likes
“Laurence, not sure what to do, remained standing below the steps.

"And who is this?" Mrs Hamlyn asked.

Patrick looked back. "His name is . . . Laurence, mistress."

Mrs Hamlyn scrutinized the boy before her. "Where does he come from?" she said, finding him scrawny and dirty.

"He came to America on the same ship we did."

Mrs Hamlyn pursed her lips. "He's very ragged. Is he from Ireland too?"

"England."

"But a friend of yours?"

Laurence and Patrick looked at each other.

"Is he?" Mrs Hamlyn asked again.

Patrick said, "He saved my life, twice."

"Did he? Then he must be a good friend indeed.”
4 likes