Start by marking “Plantgirl” as Want to Read:
Plantgirl

Plantgirl

Ba Rainy's life comes under new management. She's hopeful to gain some super powers or some sort of miracle from the Miracle Gro in her shoes. Short fiction. Contemporary fantasy. Free.
Published July 7th 2011 by M. Pax

To ask other readers questions about Plantgirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plantgirl

M. Pax
Jul 28, 2011 M. Pax added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm trying to link this to my profile, Mary Pax. Of course, it's not that simple. But thanks all. :)
Chrys Fey
Oct 17, 2014 Chrys Fey rated it really liked it
Ba Rainey works in a Super K that has new management. Her shoes are full of Miracle Grow as a part of her experiment; she’s hoping for a miracle, a purpose in life, like a seedling.

M. Pax has a way with words. I could picture Ba clearly and could even relate to her; when I was younger, I wanted something better. This is a sweet story. It could easily be turned into a book...when her actually experiment works.
Libby
Jul 28, 2011 Libby rated it it was amazing
From the title, I expected one thing. I got something totally different and very well done. If you have not read the story, stop here.
SPOILERS
I thought for sure this was going to be a story about a superhero, not about two people who are desperate to change their lives, to live beyond who and where they are. These are definitely themes I can enjoy and I liked the characters. I liked the twist at the end as well.
Rusty
Jan 30, 2012 Rusty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prose, fantasy
Mary Pax has, for the second time, shown me that she’s got major league talent for telling a tale. PlantGirl is a short story that she has up for free now at several major eBook outlets (Smashwords, Nook, iTunes). It also includes a pretty lengthy preview of her novella, Semper Audica as well. It’s good stuff.

Please go read, and be amazed.
Christine Rains
Jul 30, 2015 Christine Rains rated it really liked it
Ba Rainy is that odd girl who works at the supermarket and has muddy shoes. When the store comes under new management, she wonders if she might have to find another place to plant herself.

This is a wonderfully weird little piece of fiction. I've tried ways to give myself superpowers, but nothing as strange as Ba's. The ending made me smile.
Lisa
Jul 03, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, freebies
A great story, but much too short. Another couple of pages would have been perfect. That said, the characters do grow on you quickly and then ending made me smile. Take a few minutes, read it. It's worth it.
Brian Hutchinson
Aug 10, 2011 Brian Hutchinson rated it it was amazing
This is a very original story, I enjoyed it very much. Way too short. Ms. Pax really is good at getting into the character and what she is thinking. A very well done short story I am sure you will enjoy.
Trudy
Feb 18, 2012 Trudy rated it it was amazing
Deep down inside don't we all want to be super heros? And that slightly quirky odd person you always avoid? Ya, well you just remember, they have dreams and aspirations too.

M.Pax does a wonderful job of summing all this up in a short fun story; Plantgirl.
Ryan Snyder
This was.. like 8 pages. lol. when I got it for free from smashwords, I was not expecting that. Was it a prequel to something? I.. I'm not sure. lol.
Coyora Dokusho
Aug 02, 2014 Coyora Dokusho rated it liked it
The writing's a bit... iffy - but I gotta say, I didn't see the end coming.
Margaret
Aug 07, 2012 Margaret rated it liked it
Super short story. Like, ten pages short. It kind of came across like a creative writing exercise, but it was enjoyable to read.
Darlene
Nov 05, 2013 Darlene rated it liked it
Recommends it for: folks who like short stories
Recommended to Darlene by: M. Pax
This was an intriguing story. It's pretty good as short stories go. But as all short stories, it leaves me wanting much more. I would love to see it developed into a novel.
Laura Eno
Sep 22, 2012 Laura Eno rated it it was amazing
This is quirky, oddball...and then you realize it's much deeper than that. We all need to feel something in our lives and this short story gets to the heart of the matter.
MsBDiamondDiva1
Jan 19, 2012 MsBDiamondDiva1 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good short story-I even think that my son would like it. Hoping for more is always good-
Meow
Feb 28, 2012 Meow rated it really liked it
Cute little tidbit of a story.
Darcia Helle
Jul 31, 2011 Darcia Helle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, ebooks, indie
This story is completely original, well written, fun and insightful. Loved it!
Santossangre
Santossangre rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Mekenzie Larsen
Sep 09, 2011 Mekenzie Larsen rated it really liked it
Shelves: short, 2011
A great message in a cute, quick read. Where's my cape?
crooked english
crooked english rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2011
Amanda Rose
Amanda Rose rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2014
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Zeinab Badr
Zeinab Badr rated it did not like it
Oct 06, 2013
Dierdra Byrd
Dierdra Byrd rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2011
Genevieve
Genevieve rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2011
River Fairchild
River Fairchild rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2013
Alex Cavanaugh
Alex Cavanaugh rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2012
Bonnie Edwards
Bonnie Edwards rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2013
M. Pax is author of the sci-fi series, The Backworlds, and the new adult urban fantasy Hetty Locklear series. A Browncoat and SG fan, she's also slightly obsessed with Jane Austen. In the summers she docents as a star guide at Pine Mountain Observatory where the other astronomers now believe she has the most extensive collection of moon photos in existence. No fear, there will be more next summer. ...more
More about M. Pax...