Start by marking “Highland Warrior” as Want to Read:
Highland Warrior

Highland Warrior

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  615 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Ross MacKenna and Gillian MacKay battle with their swords for the honor of their clans, but what weapons can they use in their duel of passion when an alliance forces them to wed?
Published August 1st 2011 by Dorchester Publishing (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Highland Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Warrior

Misfit
A verra verra bad book, I doona recommend it. That is, unless you like a silly plot along with very bad sex all wrapped up in a faux historical setting. Granted, there are readers who enjoy that type of book and while I'm not knocking them I am definitely not one of them. You are not going to get your Jamie and Claire fix here, although September is almost upon us and the long wait for An Echo in the Bone will soon be over. Yay!

This is pretty much your basic Highland romance - Laird MacKay wish
Dee
My first Connie Mason and I really enjoyed it. I have picked up quite a few of her books lately as Amazon freebies so will definitely find the time to read them.....Full review to follow
Lynsey A
Well, good news, is that the heroine didn't end up on my "heroines who annoy me shelf". She came close though. Her attitude cleared up rather quickly, in fact. It was pretty sudden. It must have been all the hot loving her new husband was giving to her.

At times I felt very frustrated with both characters. Not a great deal of trust on either side. That got annoying.

Decent read by Connie Mason but I've read better from her.
Romancereviewer
"Highland Warrior," published in 2007 and set in the Scottish Highlands, is one of the best historical romances that I have come across.

It begins with a battle, the young, Ross MacKenna, the laird of the MacKenna clan is battling a high-strung Gillian MacKay of the rival MacKay clan. She is good with a sword but not as good as Ross. He manages to fend off her attacks while not inflicting damage on the spirited lass. "I doona kill women," Ross says.

Gillian's father, Tearlach MacKay, laird of the
Chandra
SYNOPSIS
Battle between the MacKenna clan and the MacKay clan. Sunclair clan is allie to the Mackay clan.
A marriage agreement to bring MacKenna and MacKay clans together and end the battle.
Seana is a trouble maker and will play to any side for her advantage
Angus always up to his dirty tricks
Ross is stabbed; Gillian is exiled
Gillian goes after Angus to kill him and is captured
Angus and his warrior kin go to Edinberg to become mercenaries for the King.
Sinclair Keep is abandoned and reclaimed as Wic
TJ
A surprisingly well-written page turner! I wanted to knock Gillian upside the head the first half of the book and do the same to Ross the second half of the book. They are both wonderful complex characters and the storyline keeps one engrossed until the last page. The only downside, for me anyway, was the sex scenes. Although I can skip them easily enough, it gets annoying after the first 2 or 3.
Julie
Ross MacKenna is a strong, mighty, highland laird, and a warrior. Gillian MacKay is a strong, feisty, stubborn, beauty, who thinks she's a warrior. The MacKenna's and MacKay's have been feuding for years and Ross want's it stopped, so they must marry. I enjoyed this book very much, old loves were constantly trying to cause them trouble, it was a great read.
Dawn ♥ romance
This historical romance was all right. It had a common theme about two feuding highland clans. The hero and heroine's love-hate relation swung too far to the extremes. It was a reread and forgettable. McKay clan leader's daughter Gillian is given as wife to enemy clan leader Ross to end long time feud.
SandraE
Another great book by Mason.
Erin
Cheesy romance novel challenge #1, chosen for me by the lovely Michelle. Please take a moment to soak in the amazing cover, bulging veins, windswept hair and all. Ok, so it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. But, a distinct lack of "romance scenes" made me wonder what people who weren't reading this as a joke were getting out of it. Gillian, daughter of prominent Scottish clansman must marry her mortal enemy, Ross, the head of the rival clan in order to keep peace. As Michelle mentioned, th ...more
Ashley
So I am currently in the bodice ripper stage of my life and have been devouring all books with kilt totting men on the cover. Yes I know its shameful. But in my weak defense I am 21 years old. Weak because I will probably still be reading books covered with muscled bound men when I am old and gray.

Anyways now that, that disclaimer is out of the way onward we go to my review. Alright ten pages in and my first pet peeve is that the clan names are: McKay and MacKenna. Why are these two clans in al
Claudia
First of all, the description and the book cover do not match! ! The main characters are Ross and Gillian!
Personally, this writer oversold the animosity, between them.Then to much silliness in the interchanges between them.
If this is truly a time for strong men then these men failed. Plus that slut Seaena would have been ejected before The marriage, and most of the other over contrived crap would never have occurred!
Melissa
This is a fantastic story and will not leave you unsatisfied. This couple is funny and many ups and downs.
I would suggest both the novel and the author.
I will read more of her.
SarahBeth
This just might be the worst book I've ever read. I downloaded it free from Amazon knowing that it looked like a trashy Romance novel, but that it might be a fun summer read. The writing is awful; in fact, I'm quite sure that my 10th grade students could do better. The dialogue is forced and unnatural, and plot, characters, and descriptions lack development. If you're looking for a beautiful Scottish Romance, read Outlander by Gabaldon or Daughter of the Forest by Merillier instead.
Readitnweep
☯Bettie☯
Connie Mason is definitely one of the better romance writers at the moment. Her books have a lot more depth of character and better writing than a lot of her contemporaries. The romance and wittiness of the characters was great too.
Gardavson
I hate it when women think they can go up against a man, sword to sword. Duh. But I do like when opposite sides create an alliance thru marriage and the two must come to terms with their worlds turning upside down.
Stacie
Apr 08, 2007 Stacie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance Readers
Finally got to read this one. It was okay. The hero took too long to believe that the heroine was not a manipulating, backstabbing person. She kept having to prove herself to him. But it was okay for a light read.
Beth
A fun book where the Scottish warriors travel forward in time and meet bold 21st century women instead of the women going back in time.

The reason for the time travel felt a bit contrived, but, still cute.
Elle
This one gets an extra star because the heroine is nobody's doormat. Hero is an alpha jerk at times, but she doesn't take it lying down, though she still does go all boneless when the clothes start flying.
Kathrynn
Dec 24, 2007 Kathrynn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Readers
4 1/2 Stars from This Reader. This is a good stand-alone, historical read. Ms. Mason has a unique writing style and knows how to use her pen. Nice characters that develop well throughout the book.
Shannon Burke
I sat down and read this in one sitting, and though it was great, it just seemed to be missing some of the fun stuff that many of her other books have. But it is a great fast read :)
Rachie
Gillian gave up the fight too easily, i was all geared up for some mighty clashes when the highlander tames this suppossed woman warrior with his caresses. there were so good bits as well.
Carolyn
Usually, I want to slap the heroine when she is stubborn and jumps to ridiculous conclusions. With this book, I wanted to slap the crap out of the hero. What a jerk!
Donna
I was torn between somewhat liking it and just being tepid with it. It was a tad too predictable to keep me on my toes and truly grab me. Just my opinion.
Diana
Once I actually went back and read this book, I really enjoyed it. I started again from the beginning and finished it in 2 days it was that good.
Lisa
I found this book at a second hand shop. I read the "teaser" description on the back. I was hooked. Give it a try if you find a copy.
Marcia
Ross MacKenna, knows it all, he is strong and loves hard and makes the mistake of not believing his lady but saves her in the end…sigh.
Andrea
This was a really enjoyable read and I've kept it on my bookshelf. You'll enjoy it.
  • The Highlander's Prize (The Sutherlands, #1)
  • The Dreamer (Highland Treasure, #1)
  • The Knight (Highland Guard, #7.5)
  • His Captive (MacGruder Brothers, #1)
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
  • Unwilling (The MacLauchlans, #2)
  • The Rebel (Highlander Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1)
  • Border Lord (Border, #1)
  • Warrior's Bride (The Stones of Destiny, #2)
  • Beneath A Highland Moon (The Highland Moon #1)
  • Return of the Highlander (Immortal Warriors, #1)
  • Highland Dragon
  • Highland Barbarian (Murray Family, #13)
  • The Witch and the Warrior (Warriors, #2)
  • Spectre of the Sword
  • The Bridegroom Wore Plaid (MacGregor Trilogy, #1)
  • Highland Barbarian (Highlander Series)
Connie Mason or Cara Miles is the best-selling author of more than fifty historical romances and novellas. Her tales of passion and adventure are set in exotic as well as American locales. Connie was named Story Teller of the Year in 1990 by Romantic Times and was awarded Career Achievement award in the Western category by Romantic Times in 1994. Connie makes her home in Tarpon Springs, Florida wi ...more
More about Connie Mason...
The Dragon Lord The Black Knight Sins of the Highlander Viking! Sheik