The Psalms of Herod

The Psalms of Herod (Psalms of Herod #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The stories we tell are not limited to monsters and harsh otherworlds. Yet the fiction books in the Borealis imprint certainly belong to a world other than our own. This line encompasses our science fiction, fantasy and horror novels and anthologies.
Published November 1st 1995 by White Wolf Games Studio (first published December 12th 1991)

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.The Sparrow by Mary Doria RussellHis Dark Materials by Philip PullmanThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisContact by Carl Sagan
SF & Theology
81st out of 172 books — 194 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Best Books by Female Authors
131st out of 407 books — 177 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel Brown
This is a feminist dystopia, a genre which has thankfully become less popular of late, but was relatively common up to about fifteen years ago. (And seems to be making a mini-resurgence in YA.) I’m not saying that it’s a bad genre. Many examples are good. But they are nearly universally awesomely depressing, often with additional bonus random depressingness slapped on to an already inherently depressing set-up, and if you read too many of them in a row, you will get the impression that the futur...more
Ashley
I like a good post-apocalyptic book. Sometimes the author tells you about the event, sometimes they don't. In this case the author does not except vaguely mentioning it in characters' rambling thoughts. All we know is that there was an Eco-disaster, from the description on the back of the book. In this book society is organized by "Steads," "Granges" and "The City." A stead is lead by an Alph, always a male, who is allowed as many wives as he chooses with whom he begets as many children as he so...more
Trunatrschild
Dark and depressing, can sort of be compared with Atwood's "Handmaid's Tale" with what can happen in the future with Christianity changed in a very negative manner. I've read this book and "The Sword of Mary" several times, but it's not a series to read if you're a bit depressed.
I really like it... can't recommend it higher, but only to certain people who can read that sort of thing and not go out and try to get Christianity wiped off the face of the Earth.
Stevelvis
ESTHER M. FRIESNER-- The Psalms of Herod and The Sword of Mary: Two books which explain what happens in a future society in which all portions of the Bible as we know it have been lost and replaced with a totally different message leading to child sacrifice and other shocking changes in society.
Felix Zilich
Безмятежна и тиха жизнь в пост-апокалиптической деревне. Мужчины целыми днями работают в поле, женщины – растят детей, готовят стряпню, убираются по дому, стирают грязные тряпки. Раз в год крестьяне со всех хуторов собираются и едут в ближайшее Поместье, где проходит праздник в честь Окончания Жатвы. Здесь молодухи находят себе будущих мужей, а будущие мужья бьются друг с другом на ринге, демонстрируя свои силу и удаль.

И все было бы буколично, пасторально и пафосно, если бы это не был гребаный...more
H. Anne Stoj
Jun 15, 2007 H. Anne Stoj rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those that enjoyed Oryx & Crake, etc.
Shelves: dystopia-utopia
I first read this about fifteen years ago or so. Some of the images, I realize now, stuck with me and I never really knew until I re-read this as I finally got ahold of the sequel.

Friesner creates a really well thought out world where civilization fell, turned a bit into ash, and then rose up again much changed from what life had been like before whatever environmental nonsense happened. She never says what that was and I'm hoping to get a better idea in the second novel, but I'm not particularl...more
Kathy
Very unusual book, but fascinating! Futuristic, science fiction, the redevelopment of a world after a catastrophic event. I couldn't put it down. Some gruesome events, so not for everyone.
Amanda
I got about halfway through. It was totally different from what I thought it would be, and not in a good way. I stopped when it just got too disturbing.
Tom
From what I've learned, not much like Friesner's other works. It exciting and infuriating. A great read.
Brenna
Brenna marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
xenu01
xenu01 marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Jodie
Jodie added it
Mar 07, 2014
Mushwiz
Mushwiz marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Esther M. Friesner was educated at Vassar College, where she completed B.A's in both Spanish and Drama. She went to on to Yale University; within five years she was awarded an M.A. and Ph.D. in Spanish. She taught Spanish at Yale for a number of years before going on to become a full-time author of fantasy and science fiction. She has published twenty-seven novels so far; her most recent titles in...more
More about Esther M. Friesner...
Nobody's Princess (Nobody's Princess, #1) Nobody's Prize (Nobody's Princess, #2) Sphinx's Princess (Sphinx's Princess, #1) Sphinx's Queen (Sphinx's Princess, #2) Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)