Start by marking “Something for Joey” as Want to Read:
Something for Joey

Something for Joey

Together, they won college football's highest award.

This is a true, memorable, compassionate story of courage and love between two brothers. In 1973, while John Cappelletti was winning the Heisman Trophy as the outstanding college football player in America, his younger brother Joey was suffering from leukemia. But John, now a running back for the Los Angeles Rams, had a v
Published March 1st 1983 by Laurel Leaf (first published December 6th 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Something for Joey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something for Joey

Catherine
Dec 12, 2008 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
Although I am not a football fan, this book is so well written that even I understood the football talk. The writer illustrated the Capeletti family so well; I felt I knew them. The narration was easy to follow, and the story, while sad, was also uplifting and inspiring. This a a great story about good people. I recommend it to everyone.
Chris Hilton
May 23, 2012 Chris Hilton rated it liked it
Has someone close to you ever been diagnosed with cancer? What affect has that had on your life? In Richard E. Peck's Something For Joey, the Cappelletti family expresses everlasting love for the Joey. The youngest in the family, Joey is diagnosed with a threatening case of leukemia. John Cappelletti, Joey's brother, plays football for the Penn State Nittany Lions. Living on campus, John must battle with the fact that he cannot see his brother everyday. John and Joey share a special relationshi ...more
Joe Dotro
Feb 07, 2016 Joe Dotro rated it it was amazing
Haley
Jan 06, 2016 Haley rated it really liked it
The Cappelletti's are an extremely close family who would do anything for each other. There are Anne and John Sr. Who had their children Martin, John, Michael, Jean, Joyce, and Joey. Joey has leukemia...bad, and spends his days watching his role model brother John play football. John and Joey always had a special connection and Joey's dream is for John to win the Heisman Trophy. Joey's has constant crazy ups and downs with his cancer throughout the book, and have everyone constantly fearful and ...more
Carly Dambrosio
Jan 06, 2016 Carly Dambrosio rated it it was amazing
Something for Joey is a story about two brothers, Joey and John. Joey has Leukemia and John is a football player at Penn State. The two brothers are incredibly close and have an amazing relationship. Joey looks up to John. Joey becomes very ill. All Joey asks of John is for a certain amount of touchdowns in a game. Will John make the touchdowns and make Joey happy? Will Joey survive his disease?

I really enjoyed this book. It was a charming story about the amazing bond the two brothers had. This
Nov 09, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it

This was a touching story about a talented college running back, John Capaletti, and his courageous younger brother Joey who lived with leukemia. It details the amazing achievements that John had on the field and the tremendous struggles that Joey faced in daily life. It is also the story of their close relationship and the importance of family.

This is a good read for young and old and for football fans and even those who do not follow football. It reminded me of the important things in life.
Teri
Oct 12, 2009 Teri rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book and the movie. This is the true story of John Cappelitti, Heisman Trophy winner from Penn State who gavs trophy to his younger brother, who eventually loses his battle with Leukemia. Since I come from a family where my dad was an NFL Official for years, I had the opportunity of meeting John while he was playing for the Los Angeles Rams. This book is a remarkable story of the bond two brothers have. A truly courageous and heartrending book. I read it when it first cam ...more
Mary
Jan 04, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
OK, so I don't understand football - so at times I felt lost in this book. I have to admit, though, it got me. By the end, I was emotionally connected to the family and shared in their joy and in their sorrow. I also felt that I appreciated sports and sports culture in a way I hadn't before. I am glad I read this book and recommend it for sports lovers and human-interest, non-fiction lovers alike.
Emma
Aug 25, 2012 Emma rated it it was ok
I did not really like this book, as the same two subjects, leukemia and football, got a little tedious. the author did not go into tons of detail most of the time, and the only area of the story I could really picture was the presentation of the Hiensmen Trophy. I thought it was a very good idea to have dedicated an entire chapter to telling what happened to the characters throughout their lives.
Mindy
Aug 27, 2007 Mindy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Age 15 and up
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Prepare to cry - this beautiful story of love for a brother will make you cry. This describes in detail the care required to make Joey, a child dying of leukemia, comfortable at home while his older brother, John Cappelletti, is playing football at Penn State. When John scores touchdowns, Joey is happiest and feels better. When John won the Heisman, he won it for Joey. It is very moving and sad.
Julia
Aug 15, 2007 Julia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: boys and girls 10-13
I thought this book was incredible when I first read it sometime in elementary or middle school. Set in the 1970s, this story of a Penn State football player's little brother battling with cancer was so compelling to me that my copy of it is literally falling to pieces. I haven't read it in years but I would recommend it to young readers (this one will appeal to both boys and girls I think).
Apr 03, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: own, juvenile, nonfiction
I read this because my dad loved the movie and I found this novelization at a library book sale. It was definitely touching, but this family is a bit hard to believe. They are apparently happy all the time and never get annoyed with each other. Maybe that's true, but it pushed the sentimentality a little too far. Still, I cried.
Teri
Jan 30, 2011 Teri rated it liked it
This is a wonderful story with a great deal of compassion and heart. I skipped a lot of pages because it was easy to know where things were going. This took place 40 years ago, and when compared to today's college players and NFL - I wonder if there are any of these kind of players left. What fine men.
Shannon
Dec 09, 2010 Shannon rated it really liked it
Sam
Dec 22, 2009 Sam rated it liked it
I read this is my reading class. It was about a family and the famous John Capletti and his strong bond with his brother, joey, who has luekemia. John recieves the Heisman trohpy (if you arent football fans: it is for being the best college football player).He gives to his brother, joey, to show how much he cares for his brother who shows courage all the time!
Danielle Boyd
Oct 19, 2013 Danielle Boyd rated it really liked it
Compelling love story about the compassion of two brothers. While I feel the text moves slow with descriptions, most people will enjoy it-- it so happens that I live in the town this text takes place, so I tended to speed through most of the explanatory description parts.
dR. CupCAkEs
Apr 04, 2010 dR. CupCAkEs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-read-again
Omigosh! This book is so touching and sweet. I love this book. I am reading Something for Joey for my language arts but I am like in love with this book. It's really good.

I finished the book.
It was so sad.
Maria
Apr 12, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing
I cried. I was sitting in school when I finished this and just started balling my eyes out. it was so good! and p.s. I go to prendie which is the girls school for bonner :)
Erica Yatsuk
Jun 15, 2007 Erica Yatsuk rated it liked it
my ma had me read it, it was terribly sad yet, hopeful.
Chamie
Nov 10, 2011 Chamie marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jamie
Jan 24, 2013 Jamie rated it really liked it
Such a great book! So poignant, tear-jerking, and incredible. What a story! And to know that it's based on a true story makes it that much more amazing.
Jun 04, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this in grade school more than once and crying each time. It's wonderfully written.
Tressa
Sep 27, 2011 Tressa rated it it was amazing
I don't follow much football but I read this story when I was a kid. I still remember what a sad story it was and how it affected me.
Zack Haffner
Apr 05, 2011 Zack Haffner rated it it was amazing
this is one of the best books i have ever read and i recommend it to anyone who likes football and who likes life
Jen Chudy
Jul 19, 2012 Jen Chudy rated it really liked it
I hate football and have never been a fan of Penn State. The story though was very touching. Worth a read.
Adam Boles
Feb 12, 2008 Adam Boles rated it really liked it
I really liked this book I remember reading it in fifth grade. If i remember a book for that long it must be good. It made me want to attend Penn State and play football for Joe Paternoe at one time.
Penny Nelson
Penny Nelson rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2011
Elisa Clawson
Elisa Clawson rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2008
  • My Father's Secret War: A Memoir
  • The Norton Reader: An Anthology of Nonfiction
  • Albert Einstein: Young Thinker
  • No Language But a Cry
  • a vicarage family: a biography of myself
  • Rosanna of the Amish
  • Liberty's Daughters: The Revolutionary Experience of American Women, 1750-1800
  • Return of the Home Run Kid
  • Mothers of the Prophets
  • The Gates of November
  • A Very Young Dancer
  • Daughter of the Flames (The Gifted #1)
  • Inside the Helmet: Life as a Sunday Afternoon Warrior
  • Invitations from God: Accepting God's Offer to Rest, Weep, Forgive, Wait, Remember and More
  • M. Night Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense: A Novelization