Start by marking “Homosexuality and Christian Faith: Questions of Conscience for the Churches” as Want to Read:
Homosexuality and Christian Faith: Questions of Conscience for the Churches

Homosexuality and Christian Faith: Questions of Conscience for the Churches

Issues surrounding homosexuality threaten to divide the Christian churches and the people within them. This unique resource presents short pieces from some of the nation's most prominent church leaders - Protestant and Catholic, mainline and evangelical - who address the fundamental moral imperatives about homosexuality. Together they invite the reader to open his or her ...more
Published December 28th 1999 by Augsburg Fortress Publishers (Minneapolis) (first published November 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Homosexuality and Christian Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homosexuality and Christian Faith

Craig
Nov 26, 2015 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The world would be a better place if us Christians spent more time of showing the love of Jesus, feeding the poor, giving comfort to the afflicted, and standing up against injustice than we do worrying about who sleeps with whom. As usual, Walter Wink writes an excellent book, whether or not you agree with his conclusions.
Rodney Farrell Sr
Sep 09, 2013 Rodney Farrell Sr rated it liked it
This collection of essays shares stories of personal encounters and experiences, identification the issues, reflections of Biblical witness and traditions, and discussions of what the churches must face in dealing with gay/lesbian ecclesial rights, civil rights, and covenants. This book is not a Bible study but rather personal insights, observations, and hope. Quoting from the book's Afterword:

"There is no room for lovelessness, hatred, or intolerance, God is confronting both sides of this contr
Robyn
Dec 26, 2015 Robyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This book doesn't just excel on content, it excels at being Christian in presenting that content. That is, it addresses an important topic (a matter of life and death as it is alluded to in the book) and does so lovingly. As Wink points out in the preface, "despite the amount of heat the debate over homosexuality has produced in the churches, the discussion has been woefully slack as far as rigorous theological thinking is concerned. The sheer passion of the discussion betrays emotionalism on ...more
Melanie
May 29, 2011 Melanie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melanie by: Reli 424: Gender Theory & Religion
I originally read the central essay in the "Biblical Witness" section (Walter Wink's "Homosexuality and the Bible") as a senior in college in Randall Styers' class on Gender Theory and Religion. I was led back around to the full collection of essays edited by Wink after I read Myers and Scanzoni's book on a Christian case for gay marriage.

The most interesting essays in this collection were Wink's "Homosexuality and the Bible," Richard Rohr's "Where the Gospel Leads Us," Elise Boulding's "The Ch
Grete
Aug 25, 2014 Grete rated it really liked it
The first few essays I found somewhat strident and only worth skimming. High points included the pieces by Walter Wink, Richard Rohr, and William Sloane Coffin. Wink is particularly persuasive because he compares biblical passages about homosexual acts to other passages about sexual ethics, inviting readers to take a hard look at the selective proof-texting many Christians engage in when discussing human sexuality. Still, I suspect this collection as a whole preaches better to the choir than to ...more
Jack
Jul 10, 2009 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to a refreshing alternative to those religious authors and zealots who seek to pull out the same 'clobber' verses of the Old Testament to reinforce their misgivings about gay people... But that's not the thesis this book tries to rebutt--very wise and compassionate authors contribute their personal and heartfelt stories of why they came to the conclusions that they hold. From Peggy Campolo's "In God's House There Are Many Closets" to a more scholary treatsie by Walter Wink, you ...more
Emmanuelle
An excellent collection of short essays from various Christian writers, addressing the issue of homosexuality for modern Christians. Each writer looks through a slightly different lens, but each contributes to the conclusion that love should prevail. A very readable little book. Very positive, thoughtful and heartfully Christian.

This book would be good reading for ANY Christian. Particularly helpful for soul-searching clergy, LGBT people and their families.

Lisa
Sep 08, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I wanted to cry reading this book, I was so relieved to find other people in the world who feel the way I do. I have sometimes said that I don't believe the Bible addresses the kinds of long-term, loving same-sex partnerships that we see in our culture today -- but I've seldom said it for fear of rebuke. Now that I know so many respectable and educated Christians share this point of view, I will certainly be more forthright with my opinion.

Alan Zabel
Oct 04, 2013 Alan Zabel rated it really liked it
This is an inspiring set of articles and valuable for all who seek and promote justice and inclusiveness in our churches. If we do nots fully extend our Christian love and acceptance to our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters, then I believe that we cannot truly claim to be followers of Jesus. I recommend this book.
Dec 16, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: christians and homosexuals
Shelves: collegefunreads
I think that this book takes a very interesting look on the way the bible looks at homosexuality. It does not condemn homosexuality. It quotes texts from the bible and discusses why homosexuality may not be a sin. It was recommended by a pastor at an episcopal church that I worked at.
Jefferson
Apr 02, 2012 Jefferson rated it did not like it
Shelves: cpe
Preaching to the choir: This compilation of essays, sermons, and testimonies from different authors serves a role of advocacy. Countryman and Boswell are much better reads for serious learners. Most of the authors consistently mischaracterize the arguments of those whom they oppose.
Alec Justice
Apr 10, 2016 Alec Justice rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Most essays in this book are quite good, especially Wink's essay and the introduction. I feel this book will only reach and speak to the choir, however I would recommend all my "family values" friends to read it. Excellent book.
Jordan
Jul 06, 2007 Jordan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
This book is a great primer on sexual orientation and how it relates to a person of the Christian faith. Wink's article, which is basically an exegesis of the passages typically cited in the Bible when referring to homosexuality, is especially good.
Ramón
Jan 30, 2009 Ramón rated it really liked it
Profoundly thought-provoking. Covers a select array of vantage points from which to approach what has been a divisive debate. Alas, like any properly edited collection of essays, there are clear leanings and yet no clear answers to the question in focus.

There will be rereads.
Darin Strachan
Jan 17, 2012 Darin Strachan rated it really liked it
This book is full of ethical and theological arguments why Christian churches should embrace homosexual people. The arguments are sound and include a wide range of religious, philosophical, and personal stories. This is a good read on the topic.
Nathan
Oct 05, 2007 Nathan marked it as to-read
started it a few years ago, and need to finish it. This book gives a wide variety of perspectives from different pastors, scholars, and regular people.
Pablo  Rodriguez
Sep 16, 2009 Pablo Rodriguez rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of essays written on the topic of being gay and Christian. Each essay comes from a different perspective. Some gave me some insight that I had not thought of before.
Zach Christensen
Zach Christensen rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Fiona Green
Fiona Green rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Aaron Culley
Aaron Culley rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Ryan Wojton
Ryan Wojton rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Bram
Bram rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2009
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2010
Steven Schallert
Steven Schallert rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2012
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Sedge 李
Sedge 李 rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2009
Julie Pine
Julie Pine rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2013
Doreen
Doreen rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2013
  • Jesus Was a Liberal: Reclaiming Christianity for All
  • Stranger at the Gate: To Be Gay and Christian in America
  • One More River to Cross: Black & Gay in America
  • Love Is an Orientation: Elevating the Conversation with the Gay Community
  • Does Jesus Really Love Me?: A Gay Christian's Pilgrimage in Search of God in America
  • The Color of Christ: The Son of God and the Saga of Race in America
  • The Penguin Book of Gay Short Stories
  • Sex and the Single Savior: Gender and Sexuality in Biblical Interpretation
  • A Letter to My Congregation: An evangelical pastor's path to embracing people who are gay, lesbian and transgender in the company of Jesus
Dr. Walter Wink is Professor Emeritus of Biblical Interpretation at Auburn Theological Seminary in New York City. Previously, he was a parish minister and taught at Union Theological Seminary in New York City. In 1989-1990 he was a Peace Fellow at the United States Institute of Peace.

His newer works include:

The Human Being: Jesus and the Enigma of the Son of the Man
(Fortress Press, 2001.)

Peac
More about Walter Wink...

“for God's sake, let's be done with the hypocrisy of claiming "I am a biblical literalist" when everyone is a selective literalist, especially those who swear by the antihomosexual laws in the Book of Leviticus and then feast on barbecued ribs and delight in Monday-night football, for it is toevali, an abomination, not only to eat pork but merely to touch the skin of a dead pig.” 13 likes
“I think people get excited about their perspective on sexuality because it gives them the feeling that, their failures notwithstanding, if they take a hard stand on what they consider to be godly, maybe God will be more merciful to them.” 5 likes