Start by marking “The Chosen” as Want to Read:
The Chosen

The Chosen (Zincian Legend #1)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Kaia's entire life has erupted in flames after an assassin appears and burns her village down. She's rescued by a god from another planet who requests her help because she's the descendant of their last savior. Together with Reeze -- the only other survivor from her village and her appointed guardian -- they set off on a quest to find the treasures of the gods in hopes of ...more
Kindle Edition
Published by Paper Crane Books (first published November 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Chosen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chosen

Kristi
I have a lot to say, so I’m just going to dive in and start with some plot elements and then move on to the actual writing. If you want a short synopsis, skip to the last paragraph.

The storyline of The Chosen - unremarkable girl and her motley group of new friends have to save the world - is interesting, but not exactly “new.” I think that the author tried to make it such by having it take place on Earth’s sister planet, Zinc, but this was unnecessary. Zinc is basically Earth’s clone - aside fro
Tim Greaton
A fascinating story that blends mythology with modern fantasy fare…

Some writers are born with talent and others with a book in their hands. In Sheenah Freitas’ case, I dare say that both were true. In the “The Chosen” she has crafted a fascinating novel that captures the modern magic of supernatural vampires, mermaids, and dragons and has effectively combined them with a mythology that echoes the finest historical fantasies.

Kaia Ketoki is a simple girl growing up in a rural community. But when
Laurel
Sorry, I haven't had any urge or want to finish this book.
The writing's pretty sloppy, and I hate defaulting to Japan due to the hair color of the two leads (sky blue and indigo). Also, the world-building pains me.

When I have absolutely nothing to do, I may return to this.

For now, nope.
Grace Krispy
This is a fantastical journey across planets. Kaia is a quiet young woman with mysterious powers she herself doesn't even realize. Vulnerable and trusting, she has the potential to be a deep and intriguing character, but her development fell somewhat flat for me. I wanted to like her and be interested in her, but I didn't have enough of a feel for her to really engage with her character. Although none of the characters really jumped off the page for me, what I did love was the connections betwee ...more
♪ Koori ♪
The first in a trilogy. The story was about a girl named Kaia whose life changed after her village was burned and was taken to another planet named Zinc, only to find out she was "The Chosen" and she has to save the world.

The story is pretty interesting, with gods and goddesses involved. Kaia is a bit hard to read. One moment she's sad, and then the next thing she's giggling over something small. And even though her whole village burned, killing everyone she knows, she didn't even mourned for th
A Book Vacation

This was a very interesting novel, especially as it deals with different worlds, complete with mermaids/mermen, gods and goddesses, and even vampires. Although I didn’t always agree with, or like, Kaia’s character, I must say that she has spunk! She has the world pulled out from under her, in a way, as everything she ever knew, and everyone she ever loved, is taken away from her in one foul swoop, yet she remains strong and is able to quickly overcome feelings of despair. I really liked
Katie
I thoroughly enjoyed The Chosen and it was a fantastic introduction into the world that Sheenah Freitas has created. The creatures, worlds and the history associated are fantastic and I am hooked on this series. The growth that the characters have throughout is great and my attention was held until the end.

The story starts off with Catrina working in a bar, then at the end of her shift, she tells a story to the children of her village. The book is of the story that Catrina is telling of a 17 yea
Krystal
This book is perfect for those who enjoy mythology. The book starts out by almost shocking the reader. The first chapter lulls the reader into a sense of security until, about halfway through, the action breaks in and chaos begins. Readers don't have to worry about the violence too much-there isn't that much gore...it is at the right level for the reader to appreciate the scene without wanting to wash his/her hands. The book's action takes off from there.

The characters were nice to read about.
Sahina Bibi
My review:
Having been contacted by the author to review this for her, I pleasantly accepted ‘cause I love reading new stories from new authors and I was glad I did so ‘cause I thoroughly enjoyed the tale that the author composed in this beautiful story. It’s not often I read about Gods in stories and prophesies, the only other one being Starcrossed I’ve read by Jospehine Angelini but I’m glad there was more to it in this (:

Analysis of plot:
In this story about Kaia, we are quickly yet expertly i
Precious
Originally posted at Fragments of Life.

The Chosen is the first book of a trilogy. The beginning – a peaceful chapter shattered by a tragedy – was intense. The action that ensued was captivating. The violence level was just right for me. It was not too bloody and not too boring. Reeze, the mysterious boy and the only other survivor of the fire, was cold, emotionally careful and silent. He was Kaia’s guardian and he took his job very seriously. He reminded me a bit of Ash from The Iron Fey series.
Loves To Dive
As Catrina is cleaning out an old bar she hears children playing in the street, it’s not long before the children notice her as well. They hurry to her and beg her for a story. She tells them she will tell them a story they have never heard before: the story about how the war actually started.

Our story starts on the planet earth in a small village where Kaia Ketoki lives in a small village with her mother. Kaia is sent on an errand to pick blackberries for her mother and while she is g
Kashif Ross
I've been wanting to read this book for so long. I must admit that I was originally drawn to it for the cover art, but several other factors pulled me in. One, I read her bio and blog, and loved that she studied Disney films. That would mean she'd do a great job at setting up an emotional story. But I also wanted to read it because of the synopsis. This book had all the potential in the world.

Overall:
The book is great, but that Disney factor played a large role that I didn't expect. *Warning, he
CorLostForWords
Source: Received from author as part of the Teen Book Scene blog tour. Many thanks goes to Sheenah Freitas for sending me a copy of her book for review. I received this book free of charge in exchange for an honest review.

My rating: 3/5

Kaia is out picking blackberries and enjoying the beautiful day. When she returns home though, her world is shattered completely. With the destruction of her village, and the realization that nothing will be the same, she finds out that she is the last descendant
Ch'kara SilverWolf
I really enjoyed the story of Kaia Ketoki and her journey of discovery. She discovers that she is a descendant of Shanti a powerful goddess and that she is to aid in bringing balance between good and evil.

I loved the dynamics of the characters who surround Kaia to protect her on her journey. Particularly Reeze, he is dark and broody which is often great in a hero and protector. And I really felt for Shawn, he clearly cares for Kaia but in truth is a deadly warrior.

This is clearly a fantasy ques
Alex
The Chosen was a great read for me, and I believe for anyone interested in fantasy. It's a story that takes it's time to develop, but is enjoyable all the way through. The story is based on the main character's perspective and by this you will be able to sympathize for her. You will clearly understand how she is feelings about her situations and her friends, or are they actually her enemies? Anyways, as the book progresses you can see Kaia mature from her various hardships. Then the mythology in ...more
Mike
I'm just going to get to the point. I liked the Sheenah didn't feel the need to rush the plot, but instead allows it to develop naturally. Which helps you to really get to know the characters. I also felt like I was going through their trials and tribulations with them. I found "The Chosen" to be a refreshing read. I'm totally hooked! Can't wait for the next book in the series!
Stephanie
The book is about Kaia, a young girl who had her simple, happy life turned upside down suddenly when her village was destroyed, along with the people in it. She's suddenly thrust into a life of danger and responsibility that just may be too much for her...

To read more of the review, see here http://stephsgrn.blogspot.com/2012/04...
Alana Woods
Book 1 of the Zincian Legend sets the scene for a tale epic in both nature and adventure. It begins with a sheltered young girl of breath-taking naiviety and ends with her as a young woman ready to confront her destiny. It leaves the reader reaching for Book 2.
Kodai Okuda
I don't like fantasy novels very much, and do not care for YA fiction, but The Chosen was an exceptionally entertaining read.
I will recommend it to fans of fantasy fiction that I know.
Joan Lim
Apr 01, 2011 Joan Lim is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
can't wait to receive my first reads copy of this book! thank you so much! i'm sooo excited :)
Elizabeth
An intriguing story with many plot twists. Definitely not predictable.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Jill Nojack
Jill Nojack marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Mom of Awesome
Mom of Awesome marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Hayley Guertin
Hayley Guertin marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Henrietta the Dragon Slayer (The Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Character
  • Sacrament Of Night
  • Back to the Best Books
  • The Blacklands Series: Dragon's Oath
  • In All Probability
  • My So-Called Phantom Lovelife (Afterlife, #3)
  • Temptation (The Soul Collection, #1)
  • Catcher, Caught
  • Evolussion (Book Two of the Infinion Series)
  • Daydreams in Mermaid Grass
  • Shadow Man (Prince Andy and the Misfits, #1)
  • Hedgeland
  • Over the Moon
  • Just Shy of Paradise
  • The House Eaters
  • Reaper's Return (Chronicles of Aesirium, #1)
  • Eclipsed By Shadow (The Legend of the Great Horse, #1)
A neek at heart, Sheenah Freitas has a love for the whimsical and magical. She looks to animated Disney movies and Studio Ghibli films for inspiration because of the innovative twists on fairytales, strong story structures, and character studies. When not writing, you might find her in a forest where she's yet to find any enchanted castles.
More about Sheenah Freitas...

Zincian Legend (2 books)
  • The Number (Zincian Legend, #2)
The Number (Zincian Legend, #2) Musings from Yesteryear The Chosen -- Introductory Look (Zincian Legend Trilogy) Twist of Fate Short Story Strands: Halloween 2012 Edition