Start by marking “Guerrilla Marketing” as Want to Read:
Guerrilla Marketing

Guerrilla Marketing

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  2,731 ratings  ·  76 reviews
'Guerrilla Marketing' offers hundreds of marketing ideas that really work and a roadmap for small-business success in the global marketplace.
Published May 1st 2007 by Piatkus Books (first published March 1st 1984)

Chad Warner
Nov 18, 2012 Chad Warner rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: business owners, marketers
Recommended to Chad by: Torey Heinz
In this book that launched the “guerrilla marketing” movement, Levinson describes inexpensive marketing methods for small businesses to enhance their word-of-mouth reputation. It covers 200 “weapons” of guerrilla marketing, including various forms of media, but also attitudes and behaviors. It’s more practical than purely inspirational. My favorite point was to use “fusion marketing”, combining marketing efforts with business partners who have the same prospects.

The sections on media include pri
Omar Halabieh
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "Marketing is every hit of contact your company has with anyone in the outside world. Every bit of contact. That means a lot of marketing opportunities. It does not mean investing a lot of money."

2- "Marketing is the art of getting people to change their minds or to maintain their mindsets if they re already inclined to do business with you. People must either switch brands or purchase a type of product or service that
I only made it through the first 7 chapters or so before I had to return it to the library, and since I'm not yet starting up a business, I decided not to finish it right now. However, the first 7 chapters seemed to really make sense, and it was a fairly engaging read, not dry. I think this book is an excellent choice for people starting their own business and anyone who owns a small business and is looking for some good marketing advice. I definitely plan on picking it up again, someday, when I ...more
Vassilena Valchanova
Когато говорим за герила, говорим за Левинсън – и мисля, че той, като баща на партизанската идея, може най-добре да обясни какво представлява тя. Книгата е полезна както за студенти, които тепърва навлизат в света на маркетинга, така и за специалисти с опит, които вероятно ще открият, че въобще не са били наясно какво всъщност е герила.

Доста от нещата, които Левинсън казва, вече сме ги чували – но от разстоянието на времето, когато guerilla се ражда идеите със сигурност са изглеждали новаторски.
Nola Redd
Mar 26, 2008 Nola Redd rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: small business owners, anyone involved in marketing
If small business owners could read no other book, I would love to have them study Jay Conrad Levinson’s Guerrilla Marketing: Secrets for Making Big Profits From your Small Business. Originally published in the early 1980s, Guerrilla Marketing is a must-read for entrepreneurs searching for inexpensive yet effective marketing strategies. Revised again (and again, depending on which volume you select), the book offers not only simple suggestions for making the most of the smallest things but also ...more
Kathryn Cervantes
This book is well written and has solid insights. It was very introductory for the most part but did include a variety of helpful tools. The part I enjoyed the most were the real life examples, what I enjoyed the least was nearing the end it felt repetitive and I found my mind wandering a bit. I picked up this book based on various recommendations however think I possibly should not have grabbed the 'Making Big Profits from Your Small Business' edition. I did just leave a large corporation so th ...more
Feb 20, 2008 Robert rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My dry cleaners...
The good: lots of inspiration for lots of different ways to market a product or service. Up to the minute advice on blogs, podcasts, search engine optimization, etc. It is worth reading, at least skimming and bookmarking the areas that you want to include in your marketing.

The bad: repetitive, too long, too many bombastic claims of untold wealth if you just follow this simple tautology.

The ugly: apparently you need to buy the other 5,387 books in the series... makes the point on cross-selling ex
Marc Brodeur
I have to be honest, I learned almost everything really important in the first 50 pages:

Marketing is a commitment, a war, a long slog. If you can't commit to a campaign for at least 12 months don't even bother. You need to get at least 10 impressions before someone will *think* about buying from you.

That was the key to me.

Beyond that, there is an exhaustive list of various different kinds of media and mediums that one can use, and it is certainly helpful, but not revolutionary. The first 50 page
Dan McConkie
Great book for helping to get the juices flowing with small business advertising. There are several tips that I have incorporated that have helped but many more that have "come to me" while I was reading and thinking about marketing and what else to do.

It is about marketing harder and smarter -- not just spending more than the next guy. I've found that if you don't make marketing a conscious part of your business, you are doomed to a mediocre growth at best.
В целом весьма неплохая книга о партизанском маркетинге и его важности в современном бизнесе, особенно в малом и среднем.

В этой работе автор перечислил большинство его принципов, но всё таки хотелось бы побольше конкретики, примеров кейсов и особенно описания самих инструментов партизанского маркетинга. В книге не хватило также и системности и более тщательного проработанного материала.
Matthieu Huang
This book is packed with eye opening tactics of how an entrepreneur can take on the goliaths of business. I learned more about how to market a small business than I do in the classes I take now. Much help to the aspiring entrepreneur trying to build a foundation for his/her marketing knowledge.
Paul Bard
A little dated, very broad cheap direct marketing applications for many different businesses and forms of marketing, but there are more concise books on the subject.

This one kicked off a franchise of such books, which I will not bother to read as a result of reading this first one. But it's worth reading as a supplement for an actual marketing campaign.
Thom Britten
The best use of his book is to question your current assumptions in how your approaching a market. You might change nothing of your approach after reading but it will help solidify your stance on what you are doing and why. It's a good book to revisit to ask am I doing the right thing, as it'll make you define your case at least internally
David Ferrers
I really like the idea of this boo. It says that even if you're a comparative minnow in marketing terms there are still things you can do to achieve results. However, the book didn't delver sufficient guerrilla tactics to make a difference for me. It's a good read and a very interesting idea to keep in mind if you run a small business.
Very applicable and organized. Some of the points in the middle were outdated, but the end seemed to be the updated portion (2007)
Janice Roberson
A very interesting book to read. Not a boring page in it.

Many great ideas that will work for any kind of business.
Guerrilla marketing is all about discovering innovative and cheap ways to get publicity, mostly for mom-and-pop shops.
Jill Hinton
Might be good for the owner of a small pizza shop or cell phone retailer, but pretty useless for anyone marketing higher-end services.
Michael Arkutu
Great Book! Had loads of ideas
Levinson provides many inexpensive ways for businesses to market themselves. Some of the suggestions include, hiring freelancers instead of employees, passing out flyers and business cards, using free samples for your products, etc.

His suggestions are very creative and effective. He helps small companies use their strengths, like flexibility and ability to change directions quickly, to compete effectively in the marketplace. Very good read, but it is quite a bit of information to absorb.
This is a very good book about marketing on a budget. He has an easy style of reading with intersting stories to illustrate his points. Of course I haven't finished it. This points more to my personality than to the quality of the book.

I have decided not to finish it until i really have to. I'm not really into marketing at the moment, and so the desire to finish it is not there. But for anyone looking to market a product with very little money, it is a fantastic book.
This book has some solid, helpful, practical advice. But I gave up about halfway through because I wearied of wading through his self-promotion. He's definitely preaching a "do as I do" sermon, but the concepts could easily have been distilled by about 1/3, maybe more, with no loss of clarity.

That said, I do recommend it if you're trying to wrap your mind around how to promote your business. The advice itself is genuinely valuable.
Stephen Roberson
I liked the premise of the book overall. Basically, it's teaching you to look for different opportunities to market your business. It really reads like a textbook and probably would be more fun to discuss with a number of people. Some of the ideas seem to be repeated in a tedious way making reading slightly tedious. I didn't finish the whole book. I feel that it might be a book better absorbed in smaller chunks.
Laura Cavendish
Oct 22, 2008 Laura Cavendish rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people involved in promotion of business/etc
This isn't the actual edition I read, I read the newly updated version, but this is one the best books I have ever read. Fiction, nonfiction or reference, it has gotten me so excited I can't describe.

But to be that for you, I think you have to have an interest in marketing or your own business, or work in advertising, or be an art director. Or care about promoting the business that you work for and giving them ideas.
Aug 16, 2010 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jen by: Betsy Boyd
Shelves: marketing
This book would rest beside "The New Rules of Marketing and PR" on my professional bookshelf. Both were excellent reads full of helpful and practical tips. "Guerrilla Marketing" would be especially helpful to an entrepreneur or someone running a marketing program for a small company. All of the best stuff is in here, and you can find examples of it -- and how well it works -- all around you.
The first chapter was good, the rest of the book was outdated and seemed to revolve around spamming and annoying the hell out of people. Send them a letter, then call them, then show up at their house, then call them again...etc. I suppose the title is Guerrilla Marketing, not Subtle Marketing. This just wasn't the kind of book I was hoping it would be, and thus, didn't find it very helpful.
Dan Smith
This is like drinking from a marketing fire hose. A bit is dated because a lot has changed since 2007 (e.g. mobile platform marketing and short form video) but still this is chalked full of excellent ideas and advise. This is highly recommended for all entrepreneurs and small business owners. I can only assume that marketing professionals have read this because that's a given.

Reading this book was more of an energizer than a good source of information. It helped spark some creativity, and kept me motivated. The book reminded me about how important it was to have a focused process, marketing and creative plan, and to commit to it. If there’s anything you take from the book just remember these three key words: commitment, investment and consistency.
Christy {Christy's Cuties}
A lot of repetitive talk. I don't know any more than I did before I read it, either.
I love this book. It's become my new bible. It goes with me every where. Its so true! I have loads of experience in this arena - so allot of it's just confirmation of what I know... a few new thoughts - which is always good. And when you're out of the corporate scene in advertising it's a comfort to have a like minded thinker in your backpack close at hand!
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • The Age of Unreason
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • The Republic of Tea: : The Story of the Creation of a Business, as Told Through the Personal Letters of Its Founders
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • The One Minute Entrepreneur: The Secret to Creating and Sustaining a Successful Business
  • The Human Side of Enterprise
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Meatball Sundae: Is Your Marketing out of Sync?
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Business by the Book: The Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs

“If you can't convert those people to paying customers, you'll have failed at one of Internet marketing's necessities—converting visitors to customers.” 1 likes
“Because they are so intimidated and worried about making mistakes, they simply don't do it.” 1 likes