Start by marking “Guerrilla Marketing” as Want to Read:
Guerrilla Marketing

Guerrilla Marketing

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  3,406 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
'Guerrilla Marketing' offers hundreds of marketing ideas that really work and a roadmap for small-business success in the global marketplace.
Paperback
Published May 1st 2007 by Piatkus Books (first published March 1st 1984)

Chad Warner
Nov 17, 2016 Chad Warner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: business owners, marketers
Recommended to Chad by: Torey Heinz
In this book that launched the “guerrilla marketing” movement, Levinson describes inexpensive marketing methods for small businesses to enhance their word-of-mouth reputation. It covers 200 “weapons” of guerrilla marketing, including various forms of media, but also attitudes and behaviors. It’s more practical than purely inspirational. My favorite point was to use “fusion marketing”, combining marketing efforts with business partners who have the same prospects.

The sections on media include pri
Amy
Jan 26, 2016 Amy marked it as not-going-to-finish  ·  review of another edition
Might be a good book. Good ideas and quotes but the author is bombastic and obnoxious. It turned me off from the positive things he had to say. Might finish someday. Probably not.
Omar Halabieh
Nov 30, 2013 Omar Halabieh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "Marketing is every hit of contact your company has with anyone in the outside world. Every bit of contact. That means a lot of marketing opportunities. It does not mean investing a lot of money."

2- "Marketing is the art of getting people to change their minds or to maintain their mindsets if they re already inclined to do business with you. People must either switch brands or purchase a type of product or service that
Robert
Feb 20, 2008 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My dry cleaners...
The good: lots of inspiration for lots of different ways to market a product or service. Up to the minute advice on blogs, podcasts, search engine optimization, etc. It is worth reading, at least skimming and bookmarking the areas that you want to include in your marketing.

The bad: repetitive, too long, too many bombastic claims of untold wealth if you just follow this simple tautology.

The ugly: apparently you need to buy the other 5,387 books in the series... makes the point on cross-selling ex
Maliades
I only made it through the first 7 chapters or so before I had to return it to the library, and since I'm not yet starting up a business, I decided not to finish it right now. However, the first 7 chapters seemed to really make sense, and it was a fairly engaging read, not dry. I think this book is an excellent choice for people starting their own business and anyone who owns a small business and is looking for some good marketing advice. I definitely plan on picking it up again, someday, when I ...more
Nola Redd
Mar 26, 2008 Nola Redd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: small business owners, anyone involved in marketing
If small business owners could read no other book, I would love to have them study Jay Conrad Levinson’s Guerrilla Marketing: Secrets for Making Big Profits From your Small Business. Originally published in the early 1980s, Guerrilla Marketing is a must-read for entrepreneurs searching for inexpensive yet effective marketing strategies. Revised again (and again, depending on which volume you select), the book offers not only simple suggestions for making the most of the smallest things but also ...more
Joshua
Jun 22, 2016 Joshua rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ehhhh. Serious waste of time unless you're totally new to marketing or just need a lot of simple ideas you could get from an equally informative and much shorter blog post or YouTube video.

This book has some good strategies, but is basically just a verbose collection of ideas without much on execution. You could skim the chapter titles and figure it out just as well as reading any of this book... Some what, 0% how. For example, in the chapter about seminars, there is a discussion of what a semin
Vassilena Valchanova
Jan 07, 2013 Vassilena Valchanova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
Когато говорим за герила, говорим за Левинсън – и мисля, че той, като баща на партизанската идея, може най-добре да обясни какво представлява тя. Книгата е полезна както за студенти, които тепърва навлизат в света на маркетинга, така и за специалисти с опит, които вероятно ще открият, че въобще не са били наясно какво всъщност е герила.

Доста от нещата, които Левинсън казва, вече сме ги чували – но от разстоянието на времето, когато guerilla се ражда идеите със сигурност са изглеждали новаторски.
Kathryn Cervantes
This book is well written and has solid insights. It was very introductory for the most part but did include a variety of helpful tools. The part I enjoyed the most were the real life examples, what I enjoyed the least was nearing the end it felt repetitive and I found my mind wandering a bit. I picked up this book based on various recommendations however think I possibly should not have grabbed the 'Making Big Profits from Your Small Business' edition. I did just leave a large corporation so th ...more
Marc Brodeur
Dec 22, 2011 Marc Brodeur rated it really liked it
I have to be honest, I learned almost everything really important in the first 50 pages:

Marketing is a commitment, a war, a long slog. If you can't commit to a campaign for at least 12 months don't even bother. You need to get at least 10 impressions before someone will *think* about buying from you.

That was the key to me.

Beyond that, there is an exhaustive list of various different kinds of media and mediums that one can use, and it is certainly helpful, but not revolutionary. The first 50 page
Dan McConkie
Jun 29, 2009 Dan McConkie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for helping to get the juices flowing with small business advertising. There are several tips that I have incorporated that have helped but many more that have "come to me" while I was reading and thinking about marketing and what else to do.

It is about marketing harder and smarter -- not just spending more than the next guy. I've found that if you don't make marketing a conscious part of your business, you are doomed to a mediocre growth at best.
TarasProkopyuk
В целом весьма неплохая книга о партизанском маркетинге и его важности в современном бизнесе, особенно в малом и среднем.

В этой работе автор перечислил большинство его принципов, но всё таки хотелось бы побольше конкретики, примеров кейсов и особенно описания самих инструментов партизанского маркетинга. В книге не хватило также и системности и более тщательного проработанного материала.
Matthieu Huang
Sep 14, 2014 Matthieu Huang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is packed with eye opening tactics of how an entrepreneur can take on the goliaths of business. I learned more about how to market a small business than I do in the classes I take now. Much help to the aspiring entrepreneur trying to build a foundation for his/her marketing knowledge.
Volodymyr Tomyuk
Чесно кажучи мав значно вищі очікування - дуже слабенька книжка.

Для мене все, що я прочитав зводиться того, зо партизанський маркетинг це на 70% НЛП і на 30% декілька інших, мало пов'язаних, між собою ідей.
Calin Biris
Jan 04, 2015 Calin Biris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for every marketing beginner out there, or any start-up entrepreneur :)
Barry Davis
Subtitled Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business, this incredibly detailed book covers a wide range of strategies after making a compelling case for Guerilla Marketing. Conrad provides practical advice and examples for Minimedia marketing (canvassing, phone calls, business cards, etc.), Maximedia marketing (newspapers, magazines, TV and radio, etc.), E-media marketing (websites, webinars, blogs, etc.), Info-media marketing (free consultations, seminars, e ...more
Lone Wong
If you are starting your own business soon and have no idea what is marketing and how to spend the budget prudently then this book is the very right suit for you. Jay Levinson will start the few chapters by describing the Guerrilla Marketer mindset and movement by committing yourself to your business plan. And how the advertising will affect the consumer mindset and behavior. We need to be patient and consistent with our plan.

The rest of the books are basically describing every individual medium
Jamie
Feb 03, 2016 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book may have been a revelation at one point, but right now in 2016, even the fourth edition is too outdated to be of help. A few things mentioned in this book: fax machines, car phones, ask.com as a recommended search engine, and, I'm paraphrasing here, "don't believe the hype about the power of the Internet. Fewer than 10% of books are sold online. Bookstores are where is at."

There are also recommendations toward cold calling, putting people you just met at a networking event on your emai
Vhis
Mar 01, 2016 Vhis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: growth
If you're looking, like I was, for a TO DO manual, this isn't it. It gives some ideas, but for the most part the author sells himself and his other books, and expects you to magically know how to, for example "get an article published for free". I don't know if it needs another revision, or it's just too much talk and not enough substance, but I felt let down by this book and my notepad felt, in the end, mostly empty. I struggled towards the end and as I did, the author did too, things got repet ...more
Stephen
I liked the premise of the book overall. Basically, it's teaching you to look for different opportunities to market your business. It really reads like a textbook and probably would be more fun to discuss with a number of people. Some of the ideas seem to be repeated in a tedious way making reading slightly tedious. I didn't finish the whole book. I feel that it might be a book better absorbed in smaller chunks.
Daniel
May 18, 2009 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book about marketing on a budget. He has an easy style of reading with intersting stories to illustrate his points. Of course I haven't finished it. This points more to my personality than to the quality of the book.

I have decided not to finish it until i really have to. I'm not really into marketing at the moment, and so the desire to finish it is not there. But for anyone looking to market a product with very little money, it is a fantastic book.
Deborah
Dec 20, 2011 Deborah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This book has some solid, helpful, practical advice. But I gave up about halfway through because I wearied of wading through his self-promotion. He's definitely preaching a "do as I do" sermon, but the concepts could easily have been distilled by about 1/3, maybe more, with no loss of clarity.

That said, I do recommend it if you're trying to wrap your mind around how to promote your business. The advice itself is genuinely valuable.
Laura Cavendish
Oct 22, 2008 Laura Cavendish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people involved in promotion of business/etc
This isn't the actual edition I read, I read the newly updated version, but this is one the best books I have ever read. Fiction, nonfiction or reference, it has gotten me so excited I can't describe.

But to be that for you, I think you have to have an interest in marketing or your own business, or work in advertising, or be an art director. Or care about promoting the business that you work for and giving them ideas.
David
Aug 09, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Levinson provides many inexpensive ways for businesses to market themselves. Some of the suggestions include, hiring freelancers instead of employees, passing out flyers and business cards, using free samples for your products, etc.

His suggestions are very creative and effective. He helps small companies use their strengths, like flexibility and ability to change directions quickly, to compete effectively in the marketplace. Very good read, but it is quite a bit of information to absorb.
Dan Smith
Aug 22, 2012 Dan Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is like drinking from a marketing fire hose. A bit is dated because a lot has changed since 2007 (e.g. mobile platform marketing and short form video) but still this is chalked full of excellent ideas and advise. This is highly recommended for all entrepreneurs and small business owners. I can only assume that marketing professionals have read this because that's a given.

Thom Britten
Jan 05, 2015 Thom Britten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best use of his book is to question your current assumptions in how your approaching a market. You might change nothing of your approach after reading but it will help solidify your stance on what you are doing and why. It's a good book to revisit to ask am I doing the right thing, as it'll make you define your case at least internally
Pashmina
Reading this book was more of an energizer than a good source of information. It helped spark some creativity, and kept me motivated. The book reminded me about how important it was to have a focused process, marketing and creative plan, and to commit to it. If there’s anything you take from the book just remember these three key words: commitment, investment and consistency.
Suzanne
First third was excellent - packed with good advice. The rest of the book dragged a bit, especially because it endorsed methods which are either kind of scummy (telemarketing? really?) or outdated. Partly the irrelevance of some of it was because I work in the non-profit sector, so a lot of the "sale advice" imparted here isn't relevant.
Jen
Aug 16, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jen by: Betsy Boyd
Shelves: marketing
This book would rest beside "The New Rules of Marketing and PR" on my professional bookshelf. Both were excellent reads full of helpful and practical tips. "Guerrilla Marketing" would be especially helpful to an entrepreneur or someone running a marketing program for a small company. All of the best stuff is in here, and you can find examples of it -- and how well it works -- all around you.
Anne
Aug 25, 2013 Anne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first chapter was good, the rest of the book was outdated and seemed to revolve around spamming and annoying the hell out of people. Send them a letter, then call them, then show up at their house, then call them again...etc. I suppose the title is Guerrilla Marketing, not Subtle Marketing. This just wasn't the kind of book I was hoping it would be, and thus, didn't find it very helpful.
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Flipping the Switch: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • The Age of Unreason
  • The Human Side of Enterprise
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • The One Minute Entrepreneur: The Secret to Creating and Sustaining a Successful Business
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution (Collins Business Essentials)
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Republic of Tea: : The Story of the Creation of a Business, as Told Through the Personal Letters of Its Founders
  • Business By The Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Rhinoceros Success: The Secret to Charging Full Speed Toward Every Opportunity

“you don't need many. You need only one good one.” 1 likes
“If you can't convert those people to paying customers, you'll have failed at one of Internet marketing's necessities—converting visitors to customers.” 1 likes