Start by marking “Guerrilla Marketing” as Want to Read:
Guerrilla Marketing

Guerrilla Marketing

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,910 ratings  ·  66 reviews
When Guerrilla Marketing was first published in 1983, Jay Levinson revolutionized marketing strategies for the small-business owner with his take-no-prisoners approach to finding clients. Based on hundreds of solid ideas that really work, Levinson’s philosophy has given birth to a new way of learning about market share and how to gain it. In this completely updated and ex
Paperback
Published May 1st 2007 by Piatkus Books (first published March 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Guerrilla Marketing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guerrilla Marketing

Vassilena Valchanova
Когато говорим за герила, говорим за Левинсън – и мисля, че той, като баща на партизанската идея, може най-добре да обясни какво представлява тя. Книгата е полезна както за студенти, които тепърва навлизат в света на маркетинга, така и за специалисти с опит, които вероятно ще открият, че въобще не са били наясно какво всъщност е герила.

Доста от нещата, които Левинсън казва, вече сме ги чували – но от разстоянието на времето, когато guerilla се ражда идеите със сигурност са изглеждали новаторски....more
Robert
Feb 20, 2008 Robert rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My dry cleaners...
The good: lots of inspiration for lots of different ways to market a product or service. Up to the minute advice on blogs, podcasts, search engine optimization, etc. It is worth reading, at least skimming and bookmarking the areas that you want to include in your marketing.

The bad: repetitive, too long, too many bombastic claims of untold wealth if you just follow this simple tautology.

The ugly: apparently you need to buy the other 5,387 books in the series... makes the point on cross-selling ex...more
Chad Warner
Nov 18, 2012 Chad Warner rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: business owners, marketers
Recommended to Chad by: Torey Heinz
In this book that launched the “guerrilla marketing” movement, Levinson describes inexpensive marketing methods for small businesses to enhance their word-of-mouth reputation. It covers 200 “weapons” of guerrilla marketing, including various forms of media, but also attitudes and behaviors. It’s more practical than purely inspirational. My favorite point was to use “fusion marketing”, combining marketing efforts with business partners who have the same prospects.

The sections on media include pri...more
Omar Halabieh
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "Marketing is every hit of contact your company has with anyone in the outside world. Every bit of contact. That means a lot of marketing opportunities. It does not mean investing a lot of money."

2- "Marketing is the art of getting people to change their minds or to maintain their mindsets if they re already inclined to do business with you. People must either switch brands or purchase a type of product or service that...more
Nola
Mar 26, 2008 Nola rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: small business owners, anyone involved in marketing
If small business owners could read no other book, I would love to have them study Jay Conrad Levinson’s Guerrilla Marketing: Secrets for Making Big Profits From your Small Business. Originally published in the early 1980s, Guerrilla Marketing is a must-read for entrepreneurs searching for inexpensive yet effective marketing strategies. Revised again (and again, depending on which volume you select), the book offers not only simple suggestions for making the most of the smallest things but also...more
Paul Bard
A little dated, very broad cheap direct marketing applications for many different businesses and forms of marketing, but there are more concise books on the subject.

This one kicked off a franchise of such books, which I will not bother to read as a result of reading this first one. But it's worth reading as a supplement for an actual marketing campaign.
David Ferrers
I really like the idea of this boo. It says that even if you're a comparative minnow in marketing terms there are still things you can do to achieve results. However, the book didn't delver sufficient guerrilla tactics to make a difference for me. It's a good read and a very interesting idea to keep in mind if you run a small business.
Matthieu Huang
This book is packed with eye opening tactics of how an entrepreneur can take on the goliaths of business. I learned more about how to market a small business than I do in the classes I take now. Much help to the aspiring entrepreneur trying to build a foundation for his/her marketing knowledge.
Jon
Guerrilla marketing is all about discovering innovative and cheap ways to get publicity, mostly for mom-and-pop shops.
Jill Hinton
Might be good for the owner of a small pizza shop or cell phone retailer, but pretty useless for anyone marketing higher-end services.
Maliades
I only made it through the first 7 chapters or so before I had to return it to the library, and since I'm not yet starting up a business, I decided not to finish it right now. However, the first 7 chapters seemed to really make sense, and it was a fairly engaging read, not dry. I think this book is an excellent choice for people starting their own business and anyone who owns a small business and is looking for some good marketing advice. I definitely plan on picking it up again, someday, when I...more
Marc Brodeur
I have to be honest, I learned almost everything really important in the first 50 pages:

Marketing is a commitment, a war, a long slog. If you can't commit to a campaign for at least 12 months don't even bother. You need to get at least 10 impressions before someone will *think* about buying from you.

That was the key to me.

Beyond that, there is an exhaustive list of various different kinds of media and mediums that one can use, and it is certainly helpful, but not revolutionary. The first 50 page...more
David
Levinson provides many inexpensive ways for businesses to market themselves. Some of the suggestions include, hiring freelancers instead of employees, passing out flyers and business cards, using free samples for your products, etc.

His suggestions are very creative and effective. He helps small companies use their strengths, like flexibility and ability to change directions quickly, to compete effectively in the marketplace. Very good read, but it is quite a bit of information to absorb.
Daniel
This is a very good book about marketing on a budget. He has an easy style of reading with intersting stories to illustrate his points. Of course I haven't finished it. This points more to my personality than to the quality of the book.

I have decided not to finish it until i really have to. I'm not really into marketing at the moment, and so the desire to finish it is not there. But for anyone looking to market a product with very little money, it is a fantastic book.
Dan McConkie
Great book for helping to get the juices flowing with small business advertising. There are several tips that I have incorporated that have helped but many more that have "come to me" while I was reading and thinking about marketing and what else to do.

It is about marketing harder and smarter -- not just spending more than the next guy. I've found that if you don't make marketing a conscious part of your business, you are doomed to a mediocre growth at best.
Deborah
This book has some solid, helpful, practical advice. But I gave up about halfway through because I wearied of wading through his self-promotion. He's definitely preaching a "do as I do" sermon, but the concepts could easily have been distilled by about 1/3, maybe more, with no loss of clarity.

That said, I do recommend it if you're trying to wrap your mind around how to promote your business. The advice itself is genuinely valuable.
Stephen Roberson
I liked the premise of the book overall. Basically, it's teaching you to look for different opportunities to market your business. It really reads like a textbook and probably would be more fun to discuss with a number of people. Some of the ideas seem to be repeated in a tedious way making reading slightly tedious. I didn't finish the whole book. I feel that it might be a book better absorbed in smaller chunks.
Laura Cavendish
Oct 22, 2008 Laura Cavendish rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people involved in promotion of business/etc
This isn't the actual edition I read, I read the newly updated version, but this is one the best books I have ever read. Fiction, nonfiction or reference, it has gotten me so excited I can't describe.

But to be that for you, I think you have to have an interest in marketing or your own business, or work in advertising, or be an art director. Or care about promoting the business that you work for and giving them ideas.
Jen
Aug 16, 2010 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jen by: Betsy Boyd
Shelves: marketing
This book would rest beside "The New Rules of Marketing and PR" on my professional bookshelf. Both were excellent reads full of helpful and practical tips. "Guerrilla Marketing" would be especially helpful to an entrepreneur or someone running a marketing program for a small company. All of the best stuff is in here, and you can find examples of it -- and how well it works -- all around you.
Anne
The first chapter was good, the rest of the book was outdated and seemed to revolve around spamming and annoying the hell out of people. Send them a letter, then call them, then show up at their house, then call them again...etc. I suppose the title is Guerrilla Marketing, not Subtle Marketing. This just wasn't the kind of book I was hoping it would be, and thus, didn't find it very helpful.
TarasProkopyuk
В целом весьма неплохая книга о партизанском маркетинге и его важности в современном бизнесе, особенно в малом и среднем.

В этой работе автор перечислил большинство его принципов, но всё таки хотелось бы побольше конкретики, примеров кейсов и особенно описания самих инструментов партизанского маркетинга. В книге не хватило также и системности и более тщательного проработанного материала.
Dan Smith
This is like drinking from a marketing fire hose. A bit is dated because a lot has changed since 2007 (e.g. mobile platform marketing and short form video) but still this is chalked full of excellent ideas and advise. This is highly recommended for all entrepreneurs and small business owners. I can only assume that marketing professionals have read this because that's a given.

Pashmina
Reading this book was more of an energizer than a good source of information. It helped spark some creativity, and kept me motivated. The book reminded me about how important it was to have a focused process, marketing and creative plan, and to commit to it. If there’s anything you take from the book just remember these three key words: commitment, investment and consistency.
Christy {Christy's Cuties}
A lot of repetitive talk. I don't know any more than I did before I read it, either.
Robyn
I love this book. It's become my new bible. It goes with me every where. Its so true! I have loads of experience in this arena - so allot of it's just confirmation of what I know... a few new thoughts - which is always good. And when you're out of the corporate scene in advertising it's a comfort to have a like minded thinker in your backpack close at hand!
Charlie  Hix
I read this book years ago- and as one reviewer wrote it is an energizer. It has a lot of good simple practical ideas for new businesses to market themselves. Starting with the often overlooked necessity that every business must have a marketing plan. The `guerrilla' part of this is effective strategies to market oneself with a low budget.
Kadena
Prior to reading this book - I would have similar great ideas, but would not implement due fear of criticism and a lack of sales skills. This book taught me that if you really believe in adding value to people's lives, you must step out of your comfort zone. The marketing strategies shared will explode your business!
Roberto Estreitinho
A disappointment, considering I had very high expectations for what is now considered a classic for marketers. Although Levinson provides some useful tips about useful hacks to reach your consumers, the book lacks some structure and often delivers a rather shallow approach.
Melissa Stottmann
I just read the most updated edition and found this book to be incredibly thorough. I have limited marketing knowledge- but needed to learn some new tactics for my business. I took 6 pages of notes and came away with a great marketing plan and many items to think about!
Anthony
This book is a great resource in picking up new ideas for business marketing. Unfortunately technology is developing faster than the author could write and you will see that the strategies in this book are out-dated, such as using the phone book as a marketing tool.
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • Age of Unreason
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • My Years with General Motors
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • Rhinoceros Success
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Out of the Crisis
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • The One Minute Entrepreneur: The Secret to Creating and Sustaining a Successful Business
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
  • Competing for the Future
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
The Guerrilla Marketing Handbook Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 3.0: How to Stand Out from the Crowd and Tap Into the Hidden Job Market Using Social Media and 999 Other Tactics Today Guerrilla Marketing for Writers Guerrilla Social Media Marketing: 100+ Weapons to Grow Your Online Influence, Attract Customers, and Drive Profits Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 2.0: 1,001 Unconventional Tips, Tricks, and Tactics for Landing Your Dream Job

“Because they are so intimidated and worried about making mistakes, they simply don't do it.” 1 likes
“if you can talk to them about themselves, you'll have their full attention.” 1 likes