Start by marking “The Perilous Road” as Want to Read:
The Perilous Road

The Perilous Road

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  599 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The heartbreaking, bitter view of the Civil War as experienced by Chris Brabson, whose brother is fighting for the "wrong" side.
Published September 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Perilous Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perilous Road

Cheryl
Chris is a confederate through and through. He discovers that war is more than a battle of ideas when he reports a vanguard of Yankees moving through the woods near his Tennessee home and finds that his brother is part of the Yankee troop. In his attempt to warn his brother, Chris meets the dreaded Yankees soldiers and learns how much all men have in common. Published in 1958 a recommend JF classic.
Cindy
Well written, close look through the eyes of a tween during the Civil War. He wants to prove himself, gets led astray by an older friend, sees the hatred of his neighbors and regrets it when he thinks he causes a raid against those he has come to know as the enemy. Illustrates the complexities and tragedy of war, hatred and the desire to do what's right all while easily understood by those 10 years old and up (caution for those on the young side, as it is about war and has a desire to kill other ...more
Lyd Stew
What a great moral message of honesty and courage among the realities of war. This would be a great book for young boys, providing some great discussion opportunities on how to overcome hate and anger. It was a really quick read with a lot of good packed in.
Christina
Great book, set in the Civil War, on finding commonality with those you don't agree with. Some of the regional and 1800's language may be difficult to understand for younger children.
Catherine
We listened to the audio book on our trip to California this past Spring break. We all enjoyed it very much, especially Emma who has been studying the Civil War at school.
Teresa
Captures the conflicts of a civil war beautifully. 11-year old Tennesseean Chris resents Yankee pilfering of the food he's worked so hard to grow and gather; when his older brother joins the Union army, Chris is angry and ashamed. His efforts to get back at the Yankees bring him to a full experience of the horrors of war, and of the humanity of both sides. And has he caused his brother's death? In a relatively short book, over the course of a few days, Steele states his case: war makes people do ...more
Jill
Enjoyable read. The author really goes for it terms of writing in a dialect found in the mountains of Tennessee, one I have not encountered on many occasions. I can't speak to its authenticity, but I can say that the author's writing of regional dialect is well done. It would be easy for the writing to be overdone in that sense--in many books the stylized language becomes a speed bump and serves to alienate the reader. Instead, William O. Steele seamlessly integrates the regional language in a w ...more
Karen
Nice story!
Nicholas Romash
The book 'The Perilous Road' was an okay book. Like I thought it was good it's just they made it to short and was a bad ending. The book in the beginning and middle. Some of the description made feel like you were there. Also it gave you what people felt for the Civil War. It also described what hardships the citizens went through. So if you like history, the Civil War, or if you just like action pack adventures then this would be good.
Melinda
A potent tale of a Confederate young man who quickly realizes how human the Union enemy is. This story both describes the loss and depletion the Southern residents endured as the Northern troops scavenged through their farmlands as well as the depravity the Union soldiers experienced as supplies ran seriously low. A commendable book detailing an honest perception of the effects of the Civil War.
Eli Muehlich
This book was great it told a really good story about the war. The ending was great and how he found out that everything he though was true wasn't.
But when he thought that his brother died was said but luckily his brother was still in training came.
Christy

Great example of an unreliable narrator.
Aspen
I'm reading this one in class and it's pretty good.....it's around the time of the civil war....it can get intense! It's not boring I can tell you that!
Julie
Nothing really ground breaking here but a nice adventurous story about a boy during the civil war. I can see some of middle schoolers enjoying this book.
Dawn
This book is a great middle-grade "thinker". A young man has an eye opening experience during the civil war. This story was heart-warming.
Danette
This would be a good book for a combination lit/his unit if there were enough copies available.
Lori
Warning to anyone wanting their kids to read this (or read to them): chapter 13 is pretty graphic.
Yasmine
Pretty good
if your a reader like me
You'll understand 85% of the book though
Rebecca Rash
Captures the civil war perfectly in the eyes of a young boy. Good read!
Josh
I liked that it ended peaceful after so much hatred. It caught my interest.
Sierra
Oct 24, 2008 Sierra rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who use slang and want to waste their time!!
OMG!! SO DUMB! I HATED IT!!!!!!!!! I'M NOT SOUTHERN PPL!!!!
Mckenna
Feb 08, 2009 Mckenna is currently reading it
this book is intense when it ends a chapter
Denise
Another classic story by a great author.
Alicia
Good Civil War adventure story.
Tina
it shose how much hate somthing can do
Mark
  • Kildee House
  • Li Lun, Lad of Courage
  • Like Jake and Me
  • When Shlemiel Went to Warsaw and Other Stories
The Buffalo Knife (Odyssey Classics) Winter Danger We Were There with the Pony Express The Story of Daniel Boone We Were There on the Oregon Trail