Start by marking “Dead Deceiver” as Want to Read:
Dead Deceiver

Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery #11)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  410 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
It's late January in Loon Lake and bodies abound: a woman on snowshoes has been discovered wedged under a wooden bridge on a cross-country ski trail. A day later, Police Chief Lewellyn Ferris interviews a couple who alleges that the wife, a former nun, is being stalked. Meanwhile, Loon Lake is hosting an International Ice Fishing Festival with problems.
Published February 1st 2011 by Tyrus Books (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Deceiver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Deceiver

Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëBloodlines by Lindsay Anne KendalAtonement by Ian McEwanBeowulf by UnknownBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Grey Daze
433rd out of 496 books — 109 voters

More lists with this book...

LORI CASWELL
Jan 16, 2016 LORI CASWELL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dollycas 19s Thoughts
This has been one of my favorites series but the last one, Dead Renegade was not the author 19s best and I left this one on the shelf. When I needed just one more book to complete by Wisconsin Author/Setting I picked it up and I so glad I did. I don 19t know much about fly fishing but I sure do like reading about it. My grandfather was quite a fisherman and stories like this bring forth great memories.

I love Lew, Doc Osborne, and Ray Pradt. In this installment they are fight
A Book Vacation
I picked this book up, on a whim, because of the cover. I didn’t note that it's the 11th book in a series, nor did I really read the synopsis. I’m not going to lie, sometimes I’m moved to buy based on the cover alone. I mean it. If you can create a beautiful, enticing cover, you’re going to grab my attention, and I’m probably going to buy. I’m that impulsive. But, that aside… I found, upon reading the novel, and it doesn’t matter that it’s the 11th book in a series, it’s a standalone novel, and ...more
LORI CASWELL
Jan 09, 2015 LORI CASWELL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Dollycas’s Thoughts
This has been one of my favorites series but the last one, Dead Renegade was not the author’s best and I left this one on the shelf. When I needed just one more book to complete by Wisconsin Author/Setting I picked it up and I so glad I did. I don’t know much about fly fishing but I sure do like reading about it. My grandfather was quite a fisherman and stories like this bring forth great memories.

I love Lew, Doc Osborne, and Ray Pradt. In this installment they are fighting th
Debra
Victoria Houston's Loon Lake mystery series is proof positive that a person need have nothing in common with the characters or setting to enjoy the books. I am not a dentist like the protagonist, nor do I enjoy fishing (just eating the catch!) Nonetheless, I have enjoyed spending time with these folks for years as they keep their small Wisconsin town safe from the razzbonyas. (Is that really a word outside of these books? If not, it should be.) Her strength lies in the memorable characters she c ...more
Patricia
Kathy Beltner starts out alone to do a multi-mile snowshoe hike on a park trail only hours before dark, with snow falling and her cell phone left behind in her car. When she lets her mind wander to personal problems and gets off the main trail, she decides to play Daniel Boone through the woods instead of backtracking her steps to the known trail. And then the consequences of all these poor choices rain down on her head. She comes upon a well-lit, homey cabin occupied by a grisly bearded squatte ...more
Mark
Jan 11, 2012 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
It took a bit for me to get interested in the story but the book became rather hard to put down once I got through about the first 50 pages. A reader may feel a little overwhelmed by the number of characters that are presented all at once towards the beginning without having read the others in the series. This was the first one that I picked up and I did find that the characters were well developed and that the story was quite self-contained. There is an interesting blend of fishing and mystery ...more
Jeri Mihm
Aug 04, 2011 Jeri Mihm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
brand new-to-me author - picked up the book on Amazon Kindle this week and immediately dove into it.

I like the characters - middle-aged police chief Lew and her retired dentist "boyfriend/deputy". Nice change from the usual grizzled cops. It takes place during the winter in Wisconsin - a snow-shoer is murdered and found on a hiking trail. As they begin to investigate, a wealthy resident reports a possible stalking, which stretches the small police department thin, just as they are preparing sec
Sue
I would read another 'Loon Lake mystery.' Liked the location of minnesota, gave insight into area. Murder mystery with Lew, the local law enforcement and other interesting characters. Was at times redundant, but an easy read.
Dale Safford
I had to start reading this book twice - it didn't quite catch me the first time. Although the dialogue moves along pretty smoothly, I can't quite fully attach to the characters. Love the local setting, though!

It's late January at Loon Lake, with a International Ice Fishing Festival going on, and wacky-but-lovable Ray Pradt trying for a spot on reality TV. Police Chief Lew Ferris and Doc Osborne are busy enough with the activities in town, and are called out to investigate a missing cross-countr
Kitty Tomlinson
Computer fraud originating from the headmistress' office at a local college leads to murder during an International Fishing Festival. Fun read.
Elizabeth
While this is one of my favorite series , in this particular book I felt I had to remind Doc and Lew that 2+2= 4 but they wouldn't listen to me!
Virginia Ullrich-serna
Ms Houston presents a wonderful picture of the Wisconsin Lake country in the winter. She creates an atmosphere in which the reader can feel the chill of the atmosphere that the characters are in.

She creates a modern story that has you learning much about cyber crime as the characters. Her characters are real and they engage you into their lives and concerns. The story is one of a continuing series but has just enough back story to give the characters depth with out bogging you down in details o
Nancy
Oct 16, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good to spend a couple of days in Loon Lake with my friends, Doc, Lew and Ray.
Jackie
Oct 04, 2015 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting, but the ending was a little blah. The ending also just tied everything up so neatly so quickly it was like you read the whole book to figure the ending out and it just ended in the matter of 9 pages? could have used a little more drama and mystery!
Jane Blanchard
Dead Deceiver by Victoria Houston is part of the Loon Lake Fishing Mystery series. A woman is killed while snowshoeing, and the plots and subplots make for an interesting who-done-it. Ms. Houston provides sufficient background information about the characters and their relationships to make the book stand individually and make it enjoyable. She weaves in information about fly fishing and snowmobiling without becoming pedantic or boring. The grammatical errors and word omissions annoyed me, but t ...more
Dot Heimer
Jun 23, 2014 Dot Heimer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love all her books.
Glenda
Feb 14, 2015 Glenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good cozy mystery series
Virginia Hlavaty
It was an okay book, easy to read.
Mike
Aug 19, 2012 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the latest of Victoria Houston's "Loon Lake Mystery" series. This edition suffers a bit from poor proofreading (which marred it for me). I like her regular characters a lot: Doc Osborne is a retired dentist who helps his girlfriend Police Chief Lewellyn Ferris solve crimes. The setting is a lake area in Northern Wisconsin. The plot, although somewhat predictable, contains enough action to prevent readers from putting it down. Satisfying read for those who enjoy the series.
Klaudyna Z.
Jan 05, 2013 Klaudyna Z. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
I was kind of disappointed with this book. It was well written and kept me interested but I felt like the description of it was misleading. I thought that I was going to be reading about a murder mystery, but instead, that took a backseat to the stalking case. I felt like even though it was all connected in the end, there was just too much going on and there were too many characters. I just wasn't happy with the story in the end.
Erik Orrantia
I enjoyed the scenario and the various crimes being handled at once. At times I got confused between the many characters, in part because I often read while I was sleepy, but I might have appreciated more hints by the author as to who they were. The major plot issue regarding murder came to a very abrupt, anti-climactic ending. Also, the editing was shotty--lots of missing words.
Susan
It's really cold in Wisconsin, so naturally police chief Lew and her significant other Doc Osborne are concerned when a snow-shoer goes missing. The town of Loon Lake is on the eve of an international ice fishing contest and both the local police and the sheriff are understaffed. Then the head of the local technical college comes in to say that she is being stalked.
Roxann
Mar 26, 2011 Roxann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally the book came out. I pre-ordered this book and kept getting email that it was postponed. I wasn't sold on her last book, Dead Renegade, it wasn't well written in my opinion. This book however was great. All the regular characters (Lew, Doc Osborne, Ray Pradt) become involved with a shooting tied to a stalker and email hacker. The story moves quickly.
Rosalie
Victoria Houston certainly knows her subject. Every detail of the northwoods that she wrote about, she knew about and it was very obvious. I liked the story, but am not quite sure that it really came together in the end or at least the way I would have liked. The explanation seemed a little weak, but I really liked the getting to that point.
Doug
A woman's body with snowshoes was discovered wedged under a wooden bridge. Then the daughter of a former Loon Lake business man claims she is being stalked and an international fishing festival is going on. Inspector Lewellyn Ferris must determine what is happening before someone else is murdered. A quick read but better than most TV.
Lorlee
Mar 25, 2016 Lorlee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Snowshoer is murdered. Then the hermit is murdered. It is the brother of the guy who married the awkward head of the tech school who is into credit card fraud. As with most of these tales, the bad guy meets with a bad end --this time drowning with his snowmobile.

Doc, Lew and Ray are fun characters
Michelle
This book was okay, I love murder mysteries and it was a free Kindle book so I picked it up. It took awhile for me to actually get into it, but its short enough that its a quick read. It is not as quick-paced as I wish it had been, but it picked up a little at the end.
Caroline
Mar 21, 2011 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Loon Lake mysteries by Victoria Houston are always a good read for me. Doc and Lew have a great relationship and the WI setting is beautiful. I'm not into fishing myself but I enjoy the characters and their lives and this is another excellent entry in the series.
John
Aug 27, 2011 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a tough read. Every page introduced more characters. Most would be irrelevant to the story. The grammatical errors and misspellings throughout the book had me wondering if it was even proofread or edited. Just a couple examples, "solumn" and "Leininkugel."
Terigschwind
Free kindle book - murder mystery without many twists, it was a half-day read and worth the money and time. The characters were likeable, but the plot was pretty guess-able. I would look for other free books from this author, but wouldn't pay a lot.
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • The Bluejay Shaman
  • Innocent Monster (Moe Prager, #6)
  • Late Rain
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • As the Crow Dies
  • The Curse of the Holy Pail (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #2)
  • Liquid Smoke (Noah Braddock, #3)
  • Striking Back
  • The Maverick Experiment
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • Hostage in Havana (The Cuban Trilogy #1)
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Of Mice and Murderers (Z Series)
  • The Deputy
  • The Dead Saint
  • Chasing Eden (Eden Thrillers #1)
  • Sons and Princes
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL the fifteenth in the series, will be published in June 2015 in hardcover, trade paperback and as an eBook from Tyrus Books. The myst ...more
More about Victoria Houston...

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)