Start by marking “Village Christmas” as Want to Read:
Village Christmas

Village Christmas (Fairacre #6)

This is a "Pocket Penguin 60" edition of "Village Christmas".
Paperback, Penguin 60s, 64 pages
Published July 6th 1995 by Penguin (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Village Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Village Christmas

Wendy
Dec 22, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this little book every Christmas for years. Miss Read is my favourite author and I love her English village stories. Going for the Walk in Miss Read Country in June at Denman College near Oxford was such fun and a real treat for me. A baby boy is born on Christmas day in Fairacre. He melts the hearts of the villagers. Both he and the Christ child have changed the world.
Julie  Durnell
Dec 05, 2014 Julie Durnell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, england-uk
A short and sweet tale of an English village life one Christmas. The birth of a baby on Christmas Day to a new family in town reveals to the spinster sisters, Mary & Margaret, as well as other villagers, that they have been harshly critical of this over-friendly large family. Time was gentle then, but our attitudes toward others are still the same today. My mother gave me this book for Christmas 1967, not sure if I read it as a twelve-year-old, but the message is timeless!
Joyce
Aug 18, 2013 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, christmas
Library copy.

This book is 45 pages! Must be the shortest book ever published. It is about two spinster sisters in the village of Fairacre, at Christmas.

It's a lovely quick read, highly recommended. Amazing how the author can develop characters in so short a story, so that the reader feels they know them. Lovely.
Leslie
Nice but a bit overly sweet for me
Shani
Nov 28, 2015 Shani rated it really liked it
A real Christmas story, lovely.
Donna
Nov 17, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is charming and short. In the quaint little village of Fairacre in the English countyside, where the neighbors all know one another, there is a new family just moved in. This young family, the Emery’s, with three little daughters under the age of 7 and a baby on the way, are from the big city, the north side of London. Of the new family “it was Mrs. Emery who provided more fodder for gossip.” She was unusually friendly, smoked and “her Bohemian garments scandalized the older generatio ...more
Coenraad
Oct 05, 2014 Coenraad rated it it was amazing
A lovely short narrative about Christmas in a fictional English village. Two spinster sisters prepare as always for the traditional things happening - and then a neighbour, who moved in three months before with three small children and a husband and made herself unpopular by being too friendly, goes into labour with her fourth child while the husband is away on family matters. The story is simpler than the previous sentence, sweet, even cloying - yes, I know all that. Still, it's heartwarming wh ...more
Roslyn
Mar 14, 2016 Roslyn rated it liked it
There is room for all sorts in Fairacre but it took a Christmas baby to make them appreciate each other.
Motto: Let people help you as you get older. It will enable important things to go on after up after you are gone; love for two young couples.
Too much descriiption of nature.

JanB
Nov 21, 2010 JanB rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at the library after seeing it on a "best Christmas book" list. At 46 pages it was a quick read but not particularly enjoyable. This was my first Miss Read book and I'm not sure I'll try another one.
Melody
Mar 20, 2010 Melody rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ehhh. Pretty pedestrian- a stock Christmas story if ever I read one. Misunderstood newcomers to the village are shunned and talked about until need calls out the best in the neighbors on a Christmas night. All new characters set against a barely recognizable Fairacre. Not my cuppa.
Alexandra Daw
Dec 25, 2013 Alexandra Daw rated it liked it
Can't remember if I had read this before but I am desperate to get to my goal and it was only 53 pages or so, so I polished it off. Lovely gentle stuff. Nothing earth-shattering...but comforting nevertheless. And now I only have four books to go!
Mimi
Dec 06, 2013 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet little short story really, about an English village at Christmastime. As with any small town, the inhabitants are fairly quick to judge the new family who's moved in. But an event on Christmas day brings them around.
Cassie
Dec 30, 2010 Cassie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very fun Christmasy story set in a rural English village (as all Miss Read books are). The story centers on two old spinsters who discover the joy of sacrificing their peaceful Christmas day in order to help a new (and very odd in their estimation) family through a crisis.
Sharyn L.
Nov 21, 2009 Sharyn L. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This was the first "Miss Read" book that I have read. This series was recommended to me by a friend. I found it a bit preachy and condescending, though a quick read. I know Christmas books can be a bit that way. I'm willing to try another "Miss Read" book.
Sem
Nov 22, 2013 Sem rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
My first venture into Miss Read and possibly my last. I still haven't recovered from the sugar rush.
Abby
Nov 26, 2016 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
Kind of cute, kind of ho-hum, but hey, it was only 48 pages!
Donna
Dec 13, 2016 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
meh, not worth the time
Mrsgaskell
Dec 13, 2010 Mrsgaskell rated it liked it
Shelves: british, library, 6-star
Short sweet gentle read but dated and disappointing.
Robert Palmer
A short Christmas story, very nice
Ishki
Feb 06, 2011 Ishki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Felt a little like a let-down.
Don
Dec 18, 2016 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In an English country town, a newly arrived family involves their neighbors and finally the whole village in an event that enriches everyone's Christmas.
Jan
Nov 13, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute Christmas story and a very quick read. 3.75 stars (more than just "I liked it" but not quite an "I really liked it" book)
Connie N.
May 31, 2012 Connie N. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warm, friendly, predictable, as are all the Fairacre books. But I like that--no surprises, just comfort.
Deborah Wyatt
Nov 28, 2015 Deborah Wyatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites reads. This will be re-read by my every Christmas from now on until I can no longer read.
Marilyn Pettigrove
It's just a lovely, pastoral read taking place in Fairacre. A good Christmas story.
Jackie Molloy
Really liked this little book, 51 pages read it one go, Village Christmas was written in 1966 it is of the time, a little bit twee, and very dated, but just makes you feel good.
Conrad Toft
Oct 15, 2011 Conrad Toft rated it it was amazing
A charming little tale and a perfect read over a cup of tea at Christmas
Alicia Moore
Dec 28, 2015 Alicia Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
This was a wonderfully cozy, Christmas read! Very quick short story. Valuable message on kindness and not being so quick to judge those around us, at Christmas time and all year.
Gheeta
Aug 04, 2014 Gheeta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, sweet story for the Christmas season. Worth pulling out once December rolls around.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Romance of a Christmas Card by Kate Douglas Wiggin, Fiction, Historical, United States, People & Places, Readers - Chapter Books
  • One Christmas
  • Rumpole and the younger generation
  • The Twenty-four Days Before Christmas (Austin Family, #3)
  • Green Money
  • The Doctor's Christmas
  • Country Passions (Barleybridge #4)
  • On Christmas Eve
  • The Berenstain Bears Save Christmas
  • A Family Christmas
  • The House Without a Christmas Tree
  • Madame de Treymes
  • Let Them Call It Jazz
  • Under the Garden
  • Elizabeth (Sunfire, #3)
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...

Fairacre (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • Village Diary (Chronicles of Fairacre, #2)
  • Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3)
  • Miss Clare Remembers (Fairacre, #4)
  • Over the Gate (Fairacre, #5)
  • Fairacre Festival (Fairacre, #7)
  • Emily Davis
  • Tyler's Row (Fairacre, #9)
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)
  • Farther Afield (Fairacre, #11)