Battlefield Angels: Saving Lives Under Enemy Fire From Valley Forge to Afghanistan

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In Battlefield Angels historian Scott McGaugh pays homage to the thousands of medics, hospital corpsmen, and battlefield nurses, doctors, surgeons who have provided succor and healing to the more than 40 million warriors who have served in America’s armed forces since the nation’s founding.

McGaugh tells the story of Jonathan Letterman, a Union surgeon during the Civil War...more
Published July 19th 2011 by Osprey Publishing (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Battlefield Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battlefield Angels

John Tintera
Battlefield Angels is one of those rare books that opens your eyes to whole new vistas. It is foremost an homage to the thousands of very brave men and women who have put their lives at risk so that front-line soldiers can "go over the top" with the certainty that if they're wounded there will be a medic or corpsman there to patch them up and get them home. It is also the story of how the reality of the battlefield has helped speed the progress of such medical innovations as x-rays and penicilli...more
Jim
A solid, sometimes moving history of combat medics and corpsmen and the warriors whose lives they have saved in American wars from our founding to the present. Scott McGaugh does a nice job of intertwining the advances in medical technology and techniques with the stories of the men, mostly very young, who defied the terrifying danger of combat to go under enemy fire and provide first aid to the wounded comrades. This book will give you a newfound appreciation for what our medics (Army and Air F...more
BT Yates
Great read

This book serves as a means to honor the sacrifices of so many. As a former Corpsman, I fully appreciated the historical look at the military medical advances. I recommend this to any fan of history and/or medicine.
Megan
The subject is so interesting that I kept reading despite the fact that the book is formulaic and poorly-organized -- or maybe the "vivid scene-setting -> anecdote -> statistics -> thematic wrap-up" formula just didn't work for me. The stories are, of course, amazing.
Chrissy
Interesting read for those in the emergency medicine field to learn about our profession's roots, the heroism displayed by our colleagues past and present, and how emergency care has evolved over the years.
Lorna
The great Christmas classic was great to read again. Like all great classics, what I learn reflects my stage of life so I always learn something I didn't know the last time I read it.
Ayelet
I didn't learn too much new information but the presentation and organization into time periods was well done.
Sarah Sundin
Lots of fascinating anecdotes, but not much substance for research.
Velvetink
Dec 14, 2012 Velvetink marked it as to-read
ebook
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Timothy Linke
Timothy Linke marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Paul Combs
Paul Combs is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2014
Erika Jeske
Erika Jeske marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Jr
Jr marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Derk West
Derk West marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Emily Harper
Emily Harper is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Norah
Norah marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Sammy
Sammy marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Horsetuna
Horsetuna is currently reading it
May 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Surgeon in Blue: Jonathan Letterman, the Civil War Doctor Who Pioneered Battlefield Care Midway Magic Midway Memories USS Midway: America's Shield Battlefield Angels (General Military)