Start by marking “Amours D'enfer” as Want to Read:
Amours D'enfer

Amours D'enfer (Short Stories from Hell)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  4,298 ratings  ·  349 reviews
Sure, love is hell. But it's totally worth it.

254 pages
Published 2011 by Hachette livre (first published November 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Amours D'enfer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amours D'enfer

new_user
All right, this anthology should be easy to sum up. First off, the quaint title is completely misleading. Three out of these five stories were disturbing or sad and certainly not happily-ever-after. Scott Westerfeld and Melissa Marr's stories are among the lighter of the bunch, and I get the feeling that lot of readers were more dismayed about the sad tone to the stories in this anthology than anything else. To rate each one...

Sleeping with the Spirit by Laurie Faria Stolarz: Ghost love. The wri
Julie
Nov 22, 2008 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal and YA fans.
Recommended to Julie by: saw it on the shelf at work, and saw Scott Westerfeld and Justin
I picked this up pretty much entirely for the fact that it includes a story by Scott Westerfeld. I've also read Justine Larbalestier's How to Ditch Your Fairy, so she was a draw too. I'm not sure what I was expecting, since I'm not much of a fan of short stories and I didn't know any of the other three authors, but I was pleasantly surprised!

A brief rundown by story, without any spoilers if I can help it:

"Sleeping with the Spirit" by Laurie Faria Stolarz - Not quite your typical ghost story. I l
Paige
I would give this book a 3. It's hard when it comes to anthologies, to rate the book as a whole, so here is what I thought of each story. 1. I never really liked Laurie Faria Stolarz's writing or stories, and that hasn't changed. Her contribution was bland, things were too cheesy or coincidential. I'd give it a D. 2. Scott Westerfeld has the most brilliant plots, but his writing is only okay. I'd give his story a B- or C+. 3. Justine Larbalestier owned this anthology. Her writing was surreal and ...more
Mav
I've heard of all these authors, or noticed their books around my library at some point or all. I've never read anything by them, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to get a feel of their writing style. Most of these miss the mark. The one story that amazed me saved this anthology from getting a two star rating.

Sleeping the Spirit (2/5 stars)
The plot has been done, and better, with better writing, and more memorable characters.

Stupid Perfect World. (4.5/5 stars)
I need a full length
Krishna *wants to be a black wolf*
I don't really remember much about this, but my overall impression was not that great.
Jessie
Melissa Marr 5 stars
Scott Westerfeld 5
Laurie Stolaz 4
Gabrielle Zevin 3
Justine L..... 2.5

As with all of these compilations, some of the stories were great and others okay. I liked the happy endings better, and some of the stories were just weird.
AndiG
2 stars

I own this book, but never bought it. I picked it up from the "Free: Please take me home" section in my library.
Well.I now know why it was free. I took this book because I thought it would be this passionate, but not too intense, fun loving book. It wasn't. Boy was I disappointed.

This book was five short stories in one book.
1. Sleeping with the Spirit: 2/5
Boring.
2. Stupid Perfect World: 1/5
Barefooted bordom (if you read the book, that would be funny!)
3. Thinner than Water: 2/5
Magically
Alejandra Hernandez
Amor en el Infierno es el último libro de la trilogía “Historias Cortas en el Infierno” que son pequeñas antologías que cuentan con cinco relatos con un determinado tema y como el nombre dice, en este caso es el amor. Cada autor deja su huella personal combinando el amor con lo paranormal. El primero es:

Más ligero que el agua – Justine Larbalestier
Al principio me estaba gustando, me gustaba la idea de la aldea y de su negación a los cambios tecnológicos y que tuvieran la creencia de que existía
Matt
Mas ligero que el agua - Justien Larbalestier
Es una historia buena, pero no me gusto el final. Creo que se desarrolla mucho en la protagonista femenina y el chico queda muy relegado, como que la autora quizo darle un toque de misterio al personaje pero quedo como un desconocido, por así decirlo. La escritura esta bien pero creo que al principio se hace medio lento y para un relato como este no creo que un escritor se pueda dar ese lujo.

Absurdo mundo perfecto - Scott Westerfield
Creo que es la his
Rose
sooo...have to admit that this would be the lest favourite of the 'hell' books so far.

'Sleeping with a spirit', was basically about a girl who had warped dreams with a ghost. It's an interesting idea -- sad -- but I did enjoy it. I'd give it a 3/5 stars.

Scott Westerfeld wrote an intriguing short story called 'Stupid Perfect World'. This is located in a dystopian world, where like is literally perfect. As a class project, students are required to experience what being a 'human' in the past would
FantasyWereld
Verliefd worden op de geest van een vermoorde jongen, vrijwillig een ziekte ondergaan tijdens een lesproject in een perfecte toekomstige wereld, een proefrelatie aangaan met een jongen die wel eens een elf zou kunnen zijn, ontdekken dat jouw ideale jongen een personage uit een boek is en gevangengenomen worden door een hartveroverende Selkie… Het gebeurt allemaal in Gevaarlijke liefde, de vierde verhalenbundel in de Blind date-reeks. Ook dit deel staat weer vol met bovennatuurlijke verhalen, dez ...more
Claudine LeBosquain
I picked this book up not quite knowing what to expect. It was remarkably thin for a collection of short stories, and I wasn't quite sure if each author would have enough time to completely develop their stories.

As has been mentioned in past reviews, it is extremely difficult to rate an anthology, but all said, I really liked this book. Before obtaining this collection, I'd already read works by several of the authors, both short stories and full length novels, and was pleasantly surprised to f
Yolanda
Por historias:

1) "Más ligero que el agua" de Jutine Larbalestier: -1845187/5. Horrible. Mal contada, mal redactada, personajes a los que me gustaría abofetear y ni el más mínimo sentido.

2) "Absurdo mundo perfecto" de Scott Westerfeld: 5/5. El motivo por el cual cogí el libro de la biblioteca. Estupenda, me gusta la ambientación y la clase de Privación, me gustan los protagonistas y me hubiera gustado que fuera un libro, más larga y mejor desarrollada porque era una maravilla de historia.

3) "Durm
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
Sleeping With The Spirit by Laurie Faria Stolarz: I thought it was just okay, but didn't stand out.

Stupid Perfect World by Scott Westerfield: I loved the world-building, and I wanted it to be longer just so I could learn more about a world where sleep doesn't exist and people can teleport to Mars in a manner of minutes. This is my favorite of the 5.

Thinner Than Water by Justine Larbaleister: It was just okay, and it's one of my least favorites.

Fan Fictions by Gabrielle Zevin: It's definitely th
oliviasbooks
Surprisingly good. Out of the five stories I liked four. That's good for an anthology. In contrast to others, I enjoyed the Westerfeld-story the most. But I have to admit, it stands out a bit, because it is the only Science Fiction story in the midst of urban fantasy: In a future classroom students attend "scarcity class" and have to chose a self-experience project lasting for two weeks. It is a future in which hunger, illness, long-distance between places, exhaustion and other problems have bee ...more
Angela
I am a huge fan of short stories. When I saw there was a collection of short stories written by some of my favorite YA novelist I couldn't resist it. Each story was wonderful and I am hard pressed to pick a definitive favorite.

Stolarz's story was heartbreaking sweetly while haunting. I love her fast pace style. And I would love to read another story about Brenda! Westerfeld story was fantastic, yet again he has created another "perfect" futuristic world and those who find a way to escape it. La
Laramort
I enjoyed this book. Some of the stories were a little odd. I prefered the ones that ended happily.

The first story about the ghost was a little weird. I give it 3 stars.

The second story by Westerfield was great. It gets 4 1/2 stars. Very creative and interesting. I appreciate sleep now because of it.

The third story was thoroughly depressing. I give it three stars.

The fourth story was extremely well written for the first three pages I was rivited and then it got really weird. It was an inter
Kaethe
"Blue is For Nightmares" is about a girl in a new home that turns out to be haunted. It's rather sweet.

"Stupid Perfect World" is about teens taking a class called Scarcity in which they must commit to live two weeks under one of the hardships that used to assail people. Amusing look at teen romantic drama, with a side of Shakespeare's Hamlet.

"Thinner Than Water" is an ominous love story, in which a girl falls in love with an outcast as she plans to escape her ruthlessly traditional village for t
Andrea Ika
This book is a unique book that has a lot of authors collaborated work.
Now don’t expect to get attached to any of the character or to get to know them in dept. There are short stories.
There are many different supernatural and horror stories in this book, and all the short stories are related to love and relationships.

Sleeping with the Spirit by Laurie Faria Stolerz
This was an ok short story. Well, placed and somewhat touching this story was safe and enjoyable.
Rating 4/5 stars

The second, Stupid
Gretchen Elizabeth Fusselman
I'm not really one for Anthologies. I usually like a story that I can sit down and read for a few days instead of just one short sitting. But I think giving this one a try when it first came out was a good idea because all the stories in this anthology was perfect.

Although a few were better than others, I must say that my favorites were "Sleeping with the Spirit" by Laurie Faria Stolarz, which I guess I liked because I'm a sucker for paranormal romances between worlds-apart beings and such, and
Jenn
I liked 4 of the 5 stories in here, though I'm not sure I understand the romance of some (read: any) of them. Zevin could probably write about a phone book and make me like it (though I wish the psychological twist had gotten to go just a little bit further).
Dutch Bookgirl
This book contains out of five short stories so here my review on them (& the date I read it)

(Laurie Faria Stolarz) 14-7-14
4/5 stars
I really liked this story, it was short yet mysterious. There was also character development which is quite uncommen in stories of only 53 pages. But I thought it was amazing and whish there was more of this story.

(Scott Westerfield) 15-7-14
4,5/5 stars
I did not expect to find dystopian stories in this book, because all stories are around 50 pages, but here it wa
Amanda
I only read two of the 5 short stories...Interesting, but not really my style. I know what you're thinking..."HELLO, look at the title", but I like some of the authors...so I gave it a shot.
ApettaVale
Indubbiamente meglio di Danze dall'inferno, se non altro le storie sono tutte in qualche modo autoconclusive, e non ho provato per nessuno dei protagonisti un'incredibile voglia di prenderli a ceffoni. Purtroppo però in praticamente tutti i racconti si trovano amori adolescenziali che non sanno proprio di niente, l'unico in cui ho trovato un po' di passione è stato Dardi d'amore; nota positiva anche per il racconto di Westerfield, di cui ho trovato davvero molto interessante l'idea dell'ambienta ...more
Heather
Good way to pass the time, but I wouldn't buy it.
Martina
Una serie di racconti d'amore con protagonisti non infernali, ma piuttosto sovrannaturali.
Una ragazza, ancora traumatizzata dalla morte, di cui si incolpa, e dalla comparsa del fantasma della sorella, scopre che in casa sua è stato commesso un omicidio e che il fantasma del ragazzo invade i suoi sogni per chiederle aiuto e farle superare i suoi problemi.
Come fare se si vive in un paesino caratteristico, e intendo caratteristico per "alla antica, il latte lo si munge a mano", e voler andarsene pe
Morgan

Sure, love is hell. But it,s totally worth it.

In these supernatural stories by five of today's hottest writers—Melissa Marr (Wicked Lovely), Scott Westerfeld (Specials), Justine Larbalestier (Magic or Madness), Gabrielle Zevin (Elsewhere), and Laurie Faria Stolarz (Blue is for Nightmares)—love may be twisted and turned around, but it's more potent than ever on its quest to conquer all.

From two students who let the power of attraction guide them to break the hard-and-fast rules of their world to
Amy Beer
"Sleeping With The Spirit" By Laurie Faria Stolarz
The only reason I am not giving this story 5 stars is because I knew it was doomed from the beginning. I knew there would be no happy ending where the boy gets the girl and they live happily ever after. Aside from that, this is an incredible short story. Very well written and had tears steaming down my face for the last 15 pages. If only I had been able to hope for the couple to get together at the end of the story. That would have turned this in
Marilag
After I'd been resolved to not liking this book, it was probably the last story that made me rethink it and go: "You know, the stories aren't all that bad."

Well, in a YA-"omg love" sense. Not all the stories ended well (I was particularly fond of how "Fan Fictions" ended up, it was just so odd, but so interesting!). I think overall, however, Scott Westerfeld and Melissa Marr had my favorite stories.

Okay, yes, I picked the book up because I saw Westerfeld's name on the list of authors, so there w
  • Vacations from Hell
  • Kisses from Hell
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
  • Prom Nights from Hell
  • Teeth: Vampire Tales
  • The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire
  • Magic in the Mirrorstone: Tales of Fantasy
  • The Poison Eaters and Other Stories
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • Holidays Are Hell
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • 666: The Number of the Beast
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Defy the Dark
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Brave New Love: 15 Dystopian Tales of Desire
Prom Nights from Hell The Madness Underneath (Shades of London, #2) Vacations from Hell Kisses from Hell Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)

“You know this girl.
Her hair is neither long nor short nor light nor dark. She parts it precisely in the middle.
She sits precisely in the middle of the classroom, and when she used to ride the school bus, she sat precisely in the middle of that, too.
She joins clubs, but is never the president of them. Sometimes she is the secretary; usually, just a member. When asked, she has been known to paints sets for the school play.
She always has a date to the dance, but is never anyone’s first choice. In point of fact, she’s nobody’s first choice for anything. Her best friend became her best friend when another girl moved away.
She has a group of girls she eats lunch with every day, but God, how they bore her. Sometimes, when she can’t stand it anymore, she eats in the library instead. Truth be told, she prefers books to people, and the librarian always seems happy to see her.
She knows there are other people who have it worse—she isn’t poor or ugly or friendless or teased. Of course, she’s also aware that the reason no one teases is because no one ever notices her.
This isn’t to say she doesn’t have qualities.
She is pretty, maybe, if anyone would bother to look. And she gets good enough grades. And she doesn’t drink and drive. And she says NO to drugs. And she is always where she says she will be. And she calls when she’s going to be late. And she feels a little, just a little, dead inside.
She thinks, You think you know me, but you don’t.
She thinks, None of you has any idea about all the things in my heart.
She thinks, None of you has any idea how really and truly beautiful I am.
She thinks, See me. See me. See me.
Sometimes she thinks she will scream.
Sometimes she imagines sticking her head in an oven.
But she doesn’t.
She just writes it all down in her journal and waits.
She is waiting for someone to see.”
38 likes
“Me enloquecía que estuviera tan lejos, fuera del alcance de mi doliente piel. Pero también había algo intenso en la incorporeidad, como si la distancia amplificase nuestra conexión.” 1 likes