Start by marking “Feathered Serpent, Part 1 (Tennis Shoes, #3)” as Want to Read:
Feathered Serpent, Part 1 (Tennis Shoes, #3)

Feathered Serpent, Part 1 (Tennis Shoes #3)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  4,251 ratings  ·  110 reviews
Transport yourself back in time for another adventure in the ongoing saga that began with "Tennis Shoes Among The Nephites" and "Gadiatons And The Silver Sword". Join Jim Hawkins as he embarks upon his most difficult and perilous quest - a quest for survival against unseen enemies. A quest to solve the deepening mystery of the disappearance of his sister, Jennifer, and his ...more
Published October 28th 1999 by Covenant Communications (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Feathered Serpent, Part 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feathered Serpent, Part 1

Fablehaven by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon MullTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Mormon Fantasy
29th out of 161 books — 311 voters
Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
36th out of 484 books — 425 voters

More lists with this book...

I think this may be my favorite 2 books of the series as the family is thrust back in time to when Jesus visits the Nephites. Amazing faith building story. Do be aware that book 3 and 4 are part 1 and 2 of a story. So you finish book 3 and basically NEED to read book 4 to find out what happens.

We LOVE the Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites Series. Rob and I listened to it while we drove on any road trips when we were first married and we continued the traditions as we had our boys.

We recently sta
Having looked through the reviews, all 18 pages of them, I've found only 6 reviewers that rate this book below 3. I was kind of disappointed that there weren't more. So let me just make it clear that this is a terrible book.

Heimerdinger split up the action in these books which required the use of two narrators. But he doesn't do a very good job of giving the narrators different voices. The problem is so bad that he has to use different type sets to distinguish between narrators and I still had
Chris Heimerdinger's book Tennis Shoes and Feathered Serpent Part One has a breath taking story that will make your heart stop. As Jim Hawkins takes a journey to ancient times to take on a old foe from his past, he faces many challenges that will assist him in the future (This represents the element of adventure) .The author uses imagery with very descriptive context. "The land was tropical! The birds , the humidity, the leafy hillside tropical!"
Jesse Whitehead
This is where Heimerdinger picks up a formula that he follows for the rest of his books. So far as I can tell he mixes things up just enough that the formula never gets completely stale.

It starts with some kind of tragedy that leads Jim Hawkins and family back into pre-christ America. There’s always a love interest with drama for the main character and the main bad guy is some enemy from Jim’s past out for revenge.

If the second book of the series feels like Lord of the Rings then this book feels
The continuation of the story of Jim Hawkins and his dealing with the ancient world of the Nephites. It begins with Jim depressed because of the loss of his wife to cancer. Things in his life suddenly go from bad to worse when he is framed for murder, and then things get even worse than that, pulling not only himself, but his three children, into a dangerous adventure.

Although I loved that the story was continued, I have to admit that this book wasn't as good as the other two. Maybe because the
Jims, wife has died leaving him with three children, melody, steffine and harry. When things are turning to bad to vary bad. Jim has been aused of killing his boss. so jim flees to Book of Mormon times until they can clear his name,while hes there he is hoping to find garth and his sister(Garths wife)Jenny. But right before he leaves he gets a phone call saying tha his Daghter Mealody has been captured who he later finds out is no one else but jacob of the moon,along with his son marcous and his ...more
rating:i gave it five stars because it has a lot of detail and it is an exciting story.

recomendations; i would recomend this book the some one that likes to read about ancient worlds and scripture stoies.

summary: this bool is about when jim hawkins has a family and gets wrongfuly convicted of killing his boss and his oldest daughter is kidnapped and taken to an accient world and he escapes and takes his other two kids along with him to this anncient world to try and save her. when they got there
Chris Heimerdinger's style of writing is so easy to follow and so easy to get into. His timing, pace, sense of story line all works so well. It is a joy to read his works.
I loved this book! Not for little kids but... it's wonderful! It is based in the time of the Book of Mormon and has some great church lessons in it!
Kimber Lybbert
Again, the writing isn't spectacular, but the story keeps me going, just curious to see how he'll meld fiction with this story.
Kimberly Fields
Feathered Serpent was a fun read, if a bit predictable. Heimerdinger set up a believable, creepy villain, although I thought Jacob Moon's motive for kidnapping was a bit weak. I also thought it was a bit weak to divide this story into two books. I think Heimerdinger could have condensed into one book. In particular, it took a long time-- about half the book-- to even get Jim, Harry, and Stephanie into the ancient world. Stephanie, Harry, and Melanie were all pretty similar in personality to Jim, ...more
Kerrin  Mountcastle
All of these series are amazing! Chris does an amazing job with them.
I'm halfway through this book. So far it's my favorite Tennis Shoes book. My only complaint: it's a little more violent than the others...
Okay, I'm finished. This was a fun read, like all the Tennis Shoes books have been for me. The author did something totally different with this one, and I thought it was brilliant. The story was told from two perspectives: Jim Hawkins, and his daughter, Melody. It was as if the two were sitting down writing the story together. They'd often comment to each othe
This book and the next one were my favorites as a teenager. This time around, I definitely enjoyed this book more than the first two. The proofreading is slightly better (even though they had the weirdest style guide ever, spelling cool with a "k" and lumping hyphenated words into one, like nineyearold), and the author doesn't spend as much time describing things, which really slowed the first two books down. As a teenager, Melody's story was my favorite, but I found Jim's story more interesting ...more
Loved this book!
Rebecca Dean
Another winner
Jul 11, 2013 Jon rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
The characters from the earlier two book are now grown and that meant I didn't quite relate to them any more (I read this when I was a teenager). Also, one of my favorite aspects about reading fiction is that you get a glimpse of the authors brain when you read about a fantasy world created entirely by them. The way the main character treated his family started to bug me and destroyed the realism. The main character was supposed to be this upstanding guy but I kept getting glimpses of a darker c ...more
Bryson Bean
Dec 06, 2013 Bryson Bean rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mormons and anyone willing to read the Book of Mormon
Recommended to Bryson by: My Mom
I loved this book, it was full of suspense and mysteries. It made your mind do a 360 degree turn then flip upside down. You never no what will happen next and thats what made me want to keep reading it. I like this whole series and recommend it to anyone who enjoys suspensefull books. It gave you a whole different perspective on the Book of Mormon and gives it a cool twist. I loved how the author made it so you could feel what the characters where feeling, i was an amazing book and I encourage e ...more
We listened to this set of tapes on our way down to Savannah. I liked the back and forth between the Dad -- Jim and his daughter -- Mellody. It was more of a combo of the 1st and 2nd Tennis Shoes books -- because you have modern times and Nephite times. It got pretty intense at times, but it was good. My 11 year old wanted to listen to this and not watch a movie. My almost 9 year old still wanted a movie and my 7 and 4 year olds mostly slept, so it was all good.
Sep 20, 2008 Allison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Allison by: Ed Paskett
I am still enjoying this series and consider it fun to be "inside the Nephite" world. Thad thinks I'm silly and that I could get the same info straight from the scriptures. I know that I could but it is fun to follow this imaginary person on his journey. I probably would have rated this a 5 but I hated finishing it and feeling like I was in the middle of a sentence. I look forward to the second half of the book and hope that I'm not left hanging again!
LOVE this series! The Book of Mormon takes on a hold new light. Amazing read the whole series never gets old. Adventure, romance, spirituality! I would recommend these to 12 and up because of the violence.
RE read- This is a mean cliff hanger, but it starts out one of my favorite adventures of this series. I love how it gets you thinking deeper and putting yourself in there place. This is a fun book that is heart wrenching and action packed.
This Tennis Shoes book was by far our favorite one of the series. All these books take Jim Hawkins back in time (through a magical portal in a cave by his home in Cody Wyoming) to the time of the Nephites. This is the third series and Jim now has kids that go back in time with him. Andy and I were in tears as I read this one to him. It's very touching and it's my favorite of them all. These books are just so fun!
Aaron Hubbard
Just like the previous book someone from Jim's past comes back for revenge, people get kidnapped, and Heimerdinger adds his religious commentary. There is a lack of imagination when it comes to the plot and this becomes more evident the further you get into this series.

Heimerdinger introduces a two narrator story. This becomes extremely annoying when Jim and his daughter talk with each other.
This is an adventurous and suspenseful book. In the story Jim and his family go back to ancient Nephi Book of Mormon times, but not for a happy reason. Melody, the oldest daughter, is kidnapped by a guy that wants revenge on Jim for past reasons. Jim and his other daughter and son has to go back to Nephite time to save her and find Jim's sister and her husband. I am reading the series now-- their good.
I absolutely loved the first two books in this series. But whoa. This book will be my last one that I read. It even ends with a cliff-hanger, but I have zero desire to continue reading this series. I highly recommend the first two books, but stop there. This one seems like the author is stretching the story and trying to make it more appealing by adding a bunch of weirdness. No thanks.
Mildly entertaining. Like the other books in the series, it is really directed at a young teenager (or younger) age group. I read this and subsequent books in the series at the insistence of my daughter who was a big fan. Though I enjoyed them, I appreciated them even more because they served as a catalyst for discussing related doctrinal concepts and concerns with my daughter, and later my son.
Just reading it again for the heck of it, since I don't have any other books at the moment. Very tried and tested book in my house. My girls and I have all read and loved these. Curtis is reading them now, so I'm just following him so I can remember what the story is again when he talks about it with me. Characters in this book are Jim as a dad, and his children--mainly Melody.
  • Come Unto Me (The Kingdom and the Crown, #2)
  • As Long As I Have You (Children of the Promise, #5)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 5: A Cold, Bleak Hill
  • Alma
  • Samuel: Moroni's Young Warrior (Samuel Adventure, #1)
Chris Heimerdinger is an author and member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) who has presently written sixteen adult and young adult novels, most of which center on religious themes familiar to LDS members. Most are published with Covenant Communications in American Fork, Utah. One title, A Return to Christmas was also picked up by Random House/Ballantine in 1995. When the t ...more
More about Chris Heimerdinger...

Tennis Shoes (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites (Tennis Shoes, #1)
  • Gadiantons and the Silver Sword (Tennis Shoes, #2)
  • Feathered Serpent, Part 2 (Tennis Shoes, #4)
  • The Sacred Quest (Tennis Shoes, #5)
  • The Lost Scrolls (Tennis Shoes, #6)
  • The Golden Crown (Tennis Shoes, #7)
  • Warriors of Cumorah (Tennis Shoes, #8)
  • Tower of Thunder (Tennis Shoes, #9)
  • Kingdoms and Conquerors (Tennis Shoes, #10)
  • Sorcerers and Seers (Tennis Shoes #11)
Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites (Tennis Shoes, #1) Feathered Serpent, Part 2 (Tennis Shoes, #4) Gadiantons and the Silver Sword (Tennis Shoes, #2) The Lost Scrolls (Tennis Shoes, #6) The Sacred Quest (Tennis Shoes, #5)

“If you don't feel as close to God today as you did yesterday, who moved?” 68 likes
“You are what you allow the Lord to make you.” 22 likes