The Sacred Quest (Tennis Shoes, #5)

The Sacred Quest (Tennis Shoes #5)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  3,270 ratings  ·  58 reviews
(formerly Tennis Shoes and the Seven Churches)
Published June 1st 1997 by Covenant Communications (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Sacred Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sacred Quest

Fablehaven by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullTwilight by Stephenie MeyerSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull
Mormon Fantasy
35th out of 139 books — 295 voters
Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
59th out of 455 books — 399 voters

More lists with this book...

Mackenzie
Jims daughter Melody, now 20 has learned she has Cancer. During the last adventure mealody fell in love with marcos, the son of King Jacob of the moon. Jims son Harry is now 15 and is determined to find marcose fromt he book of mormon times, but megan his sister- to be tages along. But when they step out of the slid down river after an account with Siamon mages they find them selfs in 70 A.D. in Rome. they see gid, but he is taken captive so they know that they are there but then unexpectly they...more
Dad
Chris Heimerdinger does a marvelous job of painting a picture that puts you there with the right feeling. This book departs from the Nephite civilization to the time right after Christ's crucifixion in the Holy Land yet adds a connection with several of the old folks from the Nephites. What a marvelous novel. I have checked out the next four books in the series to read over the summer and the first volume as my wife wants to join in now.
A fascinating part of the book is how the author shows how...more
Bethany Venus
In the 5th installment of the Tennis Shoes Series, Harry Hawkins embarks on an adventure to grant his sister’s final wish – find her true love, Marcos the Nephite and send him to her. Megan Sorenson, Harry’s new and annoying sister-in-law joins Harry on his journey. Together, they discover a secret about Frost Cave and the passage to the world of the past. Instead of ending up in Nephite lands as planned, the two wind up in the contentious world of Jerusalem in 1st Century AD. Can they keep them...more
Jesse Whitehead
Harry Hawkins fills the role of narrator and sounds exactly like his dad. Meagan – his bratty, soon-to-be stepsister – fills the role of Garth – being the knowledgeable and book-learned expositor or plot knowledge. Meagan, however is interestingly mouthy and snotty but with a witty personality. Unfortunately in later books she becomes a clone of Melody just like all the other females in Heimerdinger’s books.

This time the person missing is Marcos and for some unexplained reason Melody will die of...more
Amy
I made it halfway through this book and just couldn't continue. It was such a disappointment compared to all Heimerdinger's previous novels in this series.

The book started out great. I love the family dynamics and the odd neighbor girl. There’s a lot of great human emotion portrayed in the first few chapters.

However, as soon as the characters start their "quest," I quickly lost interest. I didn't like the setting of the barren desert. (I hate deserts.) I guess it's a complement to the author to...more
Lauren
Dec 21, 2012 Lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lauren by: Dallas
Oh. I forgot how these books don't actually reach a resolution at the end of the book, jsut at the end of the quest. Nerve-wracking. I really just need to read the next one ASAP. I am left hanging and I don't like it and won't tolerate it unless I have to.
I love how the stakes go up in this quest and the author skillfully keeps us from becoming bored by alwasy introducing more chracters an plot twists which could be annoying. *cough*michael scott's Alchemist series* But I never feel overloaded w...more
Stephanie
Although I really like the author's style of writing, and I know and really like the characters, this story was a bit slow moving for me. This story is told from Harry's perspective, Jim's son, and he doesn't make it back to the Nephites in ancient America. Rather, he finds himself in the Middle East during the Roman Empire, with many other problems that come along with it. I didn't realize when I started it that it would end with a cliff-hanger and no resolution. Basically, it's a two-parter (u...more
Lisa
The continuing story of Jim Hawkins and his families dealing with time travel to the ancient world of the scriptures. In this installment, Jim's 15 year old son, Harry, sets off on an expedition to find Marcos, his sister's boyfriend of whom they haven't see or heard from for four years. He decides to find him, when it turns out his sister is dying of cancer, but what seems like a sinple expedition, becomes a dangerous adventure. Things go wrong, and Harry finds himself, not in the land of the N...more
Trisha
I listed to this one on CD instead of reading it. I have found that I love listening to certain books, but with others I hate it. This one I really enjoyed listening to. It's an easy enough book that I can "zone out" while listening on my commute and still understand what is going on.

I really liked the dynamics between Harry and his future-step-sister, Megan. She was a fun new character to add to the mix. I probably would have given the book 4 stars, but I got a little bored about 2/3 in, when...more
Jennifer Christensen
I finished it, but only because I felt like I had to, to continue the series. This one read like a 40-year-old trying to sound like a fifteen-year-old.... which is about what it was, but it's not supposed to be so obvious! The religious overtones were loud and in-your-face, which is new from the previous books in the series, which I felt were religious with a refined subtlety that felt like reading a good book, not sitting in Sunday School. This one felt more like sitting in sunday school, with...more
Robyn
I read this whole series years ago and could not remember where I left off so I think I re-read several of the books. Still it is a nice series that tries to bring the stories of the Book of Mormon and, in this series, the Bible, to life. I like the different characters, especially Harry in this book. Sometimes the religious part gets a little long winded but the adventures are fast paced and fun. A good mixture of the modern and the ancient. No sex, no language, some violence.
Heidi
Greg
Mildly entertaining. Like the other books in the series, it is really directed at a young teenager (or younger) age group. I read this and subsequent books in the series at the insistence of my daughter who was a big fan. Though I enjoyed them, I appreciated them even more because they served as a catalyst for discussing related doctrinal concepts and concerns with my daughter, and later my son.
Mindy
This book doesn't conclude until book #7. I'm very glad I decided to read these WELL after they had been published, otherwise that would have been an irritating wait. As it is, it was still a little annoying to wonder when the thing would finally end. It ended well if that is any consolation. They should all be put in one book in my opinion though.
Kiersten Robertson
I love these books, because I get better feel for what the people in the scriptures might have faced. These books are great historical/adventures that once started can't be stopped! In this one Harry continues the adventure thruogh a strange new room and who knows what will happen?
Crazy Uncle Ryan
Pretty decent story. I know this is fiction but there is a lot of stuff in these stories that seems too far out there to take seriously. Time travel stories inherently have a lot of potential to get confusing and weird. I think Heimerdinger could do a little better with that sometimes.
Rebeccah Mildenstein
I really liked this one because I love Roman times. It was especially detailed on the death of the jews and made me feel so sad for all there dark history and the things they have been through. Once again almost like being there. I really love historical fiction!
Steve
One of the most exciting parts was when Herry saved Gid and Marcos form the 500lb. lion. One of the funest parts was when Meagan was trying to get the scroll of Matthew and then realized that there was bloodd on the jar it was in.
LeeAnn
I have discovered myself why Chris Heimerdinger's books are so popular among the teens and young adults. Fast moving, good character development, tight plot. I look forward to my sons finishing this too.
Melissa
LOVE this series! The Book of Mormon takes on a hold new light. Amazing read the whole series never gets old. Adventure, romance, spirituality! I would recommend these to 12 and up because of the violence.
Berdean
Ok, not as much as some of his books, but I had started it and needed to finish. Harry ends up in different time and place as he is going back to find Marcos for his sister whose very sick.
Tammy's book
Aaron Hubbard
Not well written. It is follows the same pattern as the other books; family trouble, antagonist from a previous adventure, protagonists defy all odds to save the day. Extremely predictable.
Laurette
Another fun book in the series, though this one dragged a bit in places and didn't hold my interest quite as much as the previous ones. Still excited to continue on to the next one though.
Vernon Ray
I gave this three stars because I don't remember which one this is exactly, but I remember enjoying it. If I read it again . . . likely . . . perhaps I'll give a more exact review.
Sierra
What a spiritually uplifting book! I love Harry and Meagan! They are so cute together. But Melody....it's so sad and i absolutly love the ending. Marcos is so awesome!!! i <3 it!
Jeni
All Books by Chris Heimerdinger are exciting and an easy read. I always enjoy them. Its been a while since I've read them, but I always love the adventures they unveil.
Lori
More fun. This one took a little to get into because it is a little slow at first, but it totally leaves you hanging. Make sure you have book 6 ready to go!
Tyler
Amazing! The sacred quest adds a new thrill by taking you back to 73 A.D. Also introducing new characters and heroes, no one can put down this book!!!
Camille
for some reason they don't list 3 or 4 but I really don't want to rate them all. They're all fantastic and you'll have to read them to know.
Kara
I can easily say this series is one of my favorites of all time. They are uplifting, exciting and extremely well-written. What's not to love???
  • So Great a Cause (The Work and the Glory, #8)
  • Meet Your Match
  • Hazardous Duty (Duty Series, #1)
  • Take Me Home (Hearts of the Children, #4)
  • Power of Deliverance (The Promised Land, #2)
  • Where Angels Fall (The Great and Terrible, #2)
Chris Heimerdinger is an author and member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) who has presently written sixteen adult and young adult novels, most of which center on religious themes familiar to LDS members. Most are published with Covenant Communications in American Fork, Utah. One title, A Return to Christmas was also picked up by Random House/Ballantine in 1995. When the t...more
More about Chris Heimerdinger...
Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites (Tennis Shoes, #1) Feathered Serpent, Part 2 (Tennis Shoes, #4) Gadiantons and the Silver Sword (Tennis Shoes, #2) Feathered Serpent, Part 1 (Tennis Shoes, #3) The Lost Scrolls (Tennis Shoes, #6)