Start by marking “More than Petticoats: Remarkable New York Women” as Want to Read:
More than Petticoats: Remarkable New York Women

More than Petticoats: Remarkable New York Women

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Presents the intriguing biographies of twelve exceptional women who made an impact not just on their home state, but on the nation and the world.
Published December 1st 2001 by TwoDot

To ask other readers questions about More than Petticoats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More than Petticoats

Francine
This is part of a larger series...one for each state, I believe. Each entry is about 10-12 pages long, so it's a brief overview of each life.

I especially liked reading about NYS women. I had known something about each except for Deborah Dunch Moody (the first woman to receive a land grant in the American colonies and a religious refugee) and Sybil Ludington (the brave young "female Paul Revere").

I'd recommend this book for anyone seeking more about the contribution of women in our American Histo
Roxanne
A collection of brief biographies on notable women throughout history in New York State. Includes biographies on Deborah Dunch Moody, Kateri Tekakwitha, Emma Hart Willard, Amelia Jenks Bloomer, Sybil Luddington, Harriet Tubman, Katherine Bement Davis, Mary Burnett Talbert, Emily Warren Roebling, Sara Josephine Baker, Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney and Dorothy Day. Native Americans, African Americans, rich or poor - all these women contributed to society in important ways.
Judy
These are remarkable women. great to read about them.
Savanna
The book is so good I love how she writes and if you liked this book you will propbly like the other 49 states.
Alli
Alli marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Jacquelyn Fusco
Jacquelyn Fusco marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
B Jeanne
B Jeanne marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2012
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2012
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2011
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2011
Annabel
Annabel marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2010
Crissy
Crissy marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2009
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2008
Kate
Kate added it
Feb 08, 2012
Johannah
Johannah marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2008
More than Petticoats: Remarkable Connecticut Women Long Island and the Woman Suffrage Movement