Start by marking “Ty Hard (Willow Springs Ranch, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ty Hard (Willow Springs Ranch, #1)

Ty Hard (Willow Springs Ranch #1)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  1,820 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
Tyler has used Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell as a shield against the truth since he was seventeen. Cut loose from his Navy career and mourning his mentor’s death, Ty must come to terms with his desire for another man even while he fights to keep the PTSD from pulling him under.

Rancher Cass Cartwright’s relationships never last more than a few hours, and that’s just the way he like
Published August 10th 2011 by Hot Corner Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ty Hard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ty Hard

The Tin Star by J.L. LangleyBareback by Chris OwenThe Broken H by J.L. LangleyTiming by Mary CalmesNatural Disaster by Chris Owen
Best Gay Cowboys
84th out of 311 books — 512 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonA Matter of Time by Mary CalmesFatal Shadows by Josh Lanyon
M/M Romance Series
147th out of 479 books — 432 voters

More lists with this book...

Monique ~ Sinfully
May 10, 2012 Monique ~ Sinfully rated it liked it
This is a great book.......What more could you ask for? Two drool worthy Alpha males (loved the description of them both in the opening chapter....hmmmm), 1 a cowboy and 1 in the Navy. Both finding love for the first time.

Of course.....there were issues that need to be addressed, Tyler is struggling with his sexuality, PTSD and an overwhelming amount of guilt all whilst a love spurned cowhand has set his sights on them both for revenge, which was all well done and the story flowed nicely.

What I
Emma Sea
Dec 30, 2011 Emma Sea rated it really liked it
Someone's been doing their niche market research: the world was gagging for an m/m special forces/cowboy-crossover hurt-comfort romance. For a buck this was a great read (even if I could have assembled it myself inside of four hours from snippets of every other m-m book in my kindle)
May 14, 2012 Kazza rated it it was ok
This was a disappointing book for mine. The cover is magic, the premise is good, the execution was lacking.

The segue between chapters was not smooth or polished.

The reasons for the dramas surrounding the ranch/MC's was too much. Exploding kitchens. A ranch hand getting into a fight with his employer over a guy he just met. A gun pulled for the previous reason, sure jobs are easy to get in rural areas.

There were the most unbelievable amount of gay guys in this town/
May 02, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, feel-good

I liked this book, and yes, I had read it before...braincells disappearing faster than new ones are being made

This is going to be a very short review. The story revolves around Ty, ex Navy SEAL who is suffering from PTSD, and Cass, owner of Willow Springs Ranch in Arizona. How Ty came to be at the ranch, and what happens when he's there, I'll leave you to discover. Another good book from Laura Harner.
T.A. Webb
Nov 26, 2011 T.A. Webb rated it it was amazing
Ty is fresh out of the Navy. Out of the hospital, rehabbing his body, mind and spirit. He is on his way to visit his good friend. mentor and replacement father from the service, who is now the cook on a ranch. He arrives right in the middle of an emergency, and when he discovers his surrogate dad just died, it's too much for him and his mind shuts down.

Cass is the owner of the ranch, and is taken with the handsome young Ty. When Ty passes out, he immediately takes charge and takes Ty under his w
Oh I know I shouldn’t have, but I just couldn’t help myself. It should be known that I am not the target audience for this book, but there’s something to be said for impulsive purchases, especially when it’s free and features an uber-sexy cowboy and an ex-Navy seal right?

Of course there is! Even if it is full of everything I despise: insta-lust/love, cheesy lines, implausible scenarios, an over-the-top bad guy, and a possessive growly alpha man that, urgh …growls. If I was wearing my judgement g
Apr 23, 2013 JR rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cowboy, military lovers
Shelves: romance, favorites, cowboy
Oh my, oh my this pushed all my buttons big time. A Navy S.E.A.L and a cowboy, talk about an all time favorite wet dream. This is it.

Laura Harner has fast become one of my favorite writers. Haven't read anything that I haven't liked.

This is about Ty, a Seal suffering from PTSD that goes to stay with his surrogate father figure on a ranch in Arizona owned by Cass Cartwright. It's reluctant love? at first sight. For Ty things take an immediate down turn, when his surrogate father Gibby dies of
Mar 23, 2015 KatieMc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
At first, I had a fleeting hope that this might be a Falls Chance Ranch alternative with more man-love action, less psycho-babble and less spanking. Unfortunately, this isn't that. It is an ambitious effort by the author who includes an impressive number of favorite MM themes in a single 150 page book. It was ok. It wasn't terrible. It was free.

[X] insta-love
[X] coming out
[X] cowboys
[X] navy SEALs
[X] creepy character
[X] mystery of the not-so-live livestock
[X] explosions
[X] hurt-comfort
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This is a hard book to decipher my feelings on. On one hand, I enjoyed it in the way I enjoy fluff. On the other, my mind couldn't get passed a lot of WTF moments and I think overall that ruined my enjoyment of the story.

Ty Hardin is a Navy Veteran that's looking to recover on a ranch with his mentor after getting injured. He's got a severe case of PTSD, so far in the closet he might never see the door and now attracted to the ranch's owner. Cass Cartwright is an openly gay ranch owner. He take
Ms. Nikki
$0.99 Read

What can I say? I saw the potential and am quite disappointed. Tyler and his PTSD moments or the moments that led up to them were over the top. Jed pulling a gun because he didn't get what he wanted and the guy who liked Jed doing almost the same thing. Cass, teary eyes, wanting to protect, and the overuse of the word "baby" all culminated into a less than okay read. These characters were flat and the story was forced/rushed. Even for the small change I spent, I kinda feel like I waste
DNF'ed at 38%.

This book was a bunch of WTFs for me: WTF, Ty just got here, how do you know he's gay let alone "struggling with his sexuality"; WTF, you just met Ty 5 minutes ago where do you get off getting into bed naked with him as he's passed out; WTF, how are you guys in love after knowing each other all of 6 hours; WTF is up with gun wielding would-be suitor?!?

Bottom line: Nothing but WTFs. I'll pass.
I really liked this book about a rancher and an ex-Navy Seal who both find something they didn't know they were looking for. With a bit of whodunit thrown in and some holy hot virgin buttsexing, Batman, this was a great book. I liked how the author kept the PTSD realistic, and even provided a very real first time for Ty, burn and all. The whodunit was okay - the perp was a surprise, and we didn't really get a reason for why he did what he did.

It's the first of the series, so I must check out th
Lena Polskaia
Feb 17, 2014 Lena Polskaia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance
J'ai bien aimé cette romance à la fois torride et tendre entre un beau cow boy, et un ex soldat victime de graves blessures, et d'un syndrome de stress post traumatique. Le personnage de Tyler est parfaitement bien dépeint, un homme blessé, traumatisé, mais pas faible pour autant. Cass a également beaucoup de charisme et de présence, bien que l'on en sache assez peu sur lui et son passé, finalement. C'est un peu dommage, mais l'auteur a voulu apparamment privilégier l'action, et toute l'histoire ...more
Morgan  Skye
Oct 08, 2015 Morgan Skye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ty has lost a lot in this world, his family, his career, now somebody close by. But he has a place stay and a new job, with a super-hot boss, Cass.

Cass owns a ranch out in the boonies and doesn’t ever imagine he’ll have a partner. He finds his lovin’ in the next town – miles and miles away – to protect his heart and his sanity.

When a sweet matchmaker plops Ty in his lap, he can’t say no. He has to help, protect and love this new ranch cook – even if he has to convince Ty of that plan first.

Feb 29, 2012 Candice rated it it was ok
The story had a lot of potential but unfortunately for me, it fell flat and just didn't work.
Valentina Heart
This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

Every time I read a blurb and see that the book has a wounded hero in it, my interest spikes up. I can't help it, I like a bit of difficulty in a story. In this case, cowboys didn't hurt either and extra conflict made it about more than a simple romance.

Ty is a Navy veteran recovering from a head injury. He comes to the ranch to visit his good friend only to arrive there when the medics are taking away his de
More like three and a half. Hot cowboys, an ex-SEAL with PTS, insta-love and a villain out of the left field. All a bit rushed, but sexy and nice to read. Light and entertaining.
Trisha Harrington
Jan 07, 2013 Trisha Harrington rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cowboys, loved
I actually loved this book. It had two hot MC's. One a cowboy and one navy veteran. Two of my favourite types of characters. I loved that this was full of drama. In a way I wish it had been longer, but I could live with the length it was.

Ty and Cass were just a sweet couple. I loved the instant attraction Cass had for Ty. It was really sweet and I loved the "baby" he threw at him the day they met. Their relationship developed kind of slowly, they did not have sex until Ty was ready.

I really enjo
Oct 03, 2011 Tame rated it really liked it
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Tyler had such a great back story and I would have loved more about him and his relationship with Cass, but the instant lust/love was so fast and rushed that I don't quite see the falling in love part of it.
And the 'mystery' around the whole sabotage thing was just a bit too much for me, but I guess it was to introduce the MC's from the next book.
Oct 15, 2014 Cheryl rated it liked it
This story had potential but it was so rushed it was silly. Tyler has been medically discharged from the navy and goes to stay with Frank, an old navy friend who lives on a ranch with his partner. The men who work there are either gay or have no issue with gay men. On arrival, Tyler meets Cass (the owner) and is immediately told that Frank died an hour before he got there. Cass, who doesn't do relationships is drawn to Tyler, as is Jed one of the other ranch hands - both of whom make a move on T ...more
Nov 06, 2013 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica-contemp
Lassie, go and get the sheriff.

It was fine, a bit dramatic. Two alphas, one temporarily broken and intrigue on the ranch. May still deduct another star for the schmaltz-y ending.
Lisa Worrall
Aug 30, 2011 Lisa Worrall rated it it was amazing
Here is my review of Ty Hard

Ty Hard
Pamela Su
An enjoyable romance that doesn't delve too deeply into angst.

A lot of the issues faced by the characters in this book could have easily gone into a darker, more angsty direction but the overall tone of the story remained light and easy. Some readers may have objections to the way certain events and situations were handled a little too simply.

I was okay with the simple storyline and I wasn't too bothered by the insta-love. Something about the way Ty and Cass instantly connected appealed to the
Kate Phoenix
Amazon Freebie -3 Stars. This book was really refreshing due to the fact that the cowboys were all honest about their sexuality and not the whole I'm not gay, I'm not gay theme and Ta Da he is gay!!!!

Cass Cartwright was hot.

photo Download2_zpsfcd95585.jpg

Tyler Hardin had an accident in Afgan and well it didn#t go to well. He gets out to visit his old mentor Gibby only to find that Gibby is gone.

photo images1_zps7ba88ae0.jpg not quite a Navy Seal uniform but you get my drift.

Ty has PTSD and needs help. He knows that he is gay and well he never decided o
Jan 13, 2014 Candice rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, m-m
2.5 Stars

Okay, don't throw anything at me, but I really couldn't get one board with this one for some reason. Maybe because there was too much going on? There was Tyler and his flashbacks, Ty losing his 'dad', Ty coming into his sexuality, Ty losing the guilt that lives inside of him, and unwanted advanced by a sleazy ginger.

While all that is going on Cass, the owner of Willow Springs Ranch, tries to help Ty but there are some little and not so little sabotages around the ranch and his person. A
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I am thinking of rating this somewhere between It's ok and I like it.

Tyler, a former soldier still suffering from PTSD, accepts an old friend's offer to spend some time with him and his partner on a ranch where he works as a cook. When he arrives, his friend is dead. Cass Cartwright, the owner of Willow Springs Ranch is caught off guard by his reaction to Tyler.

I haven't got a clue if the intimate moments are realistic or not. I would assume they mostly are since not everything goes easy. Some
Oh my goodness, I did not get far in this book. I had to stop it was so dreadful. The way one of the characters spoke about the other revolted me. Then there was the whole business around what happened at boot camp. Then there was the whole set up story. Then there was the way the characters were behaving. Then there was....

Avoid this author in the future.
Nov 03, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-male-male
This wasn't a bad read but it wasn't great. I think the length of the book really hurt the story. A lot was brushed over and things just moved to rapidly for my taste. The characters could have been developed better of the book was longer.

Overall a quick, easy and enjoyable read but lacked the wow factor.
Dec 10, 2014 Lizzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, rounded up. I rather enjoyed this despite the quick pace of the MC's relationship. The who-done-it was pretty well done and I wasn't expecting who it ended up being. This wasn't fluff, but it wasn't full of angst either considering some of the topics covered. Definitely worth the read.
  • Hanging Chad (Willow Springs Ranch #4)
  • Colorado Wild (Colorado Heart, #1)
  • Measure of Devotion (Measure of Devotion, #1)
  • Leaving Home (Home, #4)
  • Cowboys Down
  • Rough in the Saddle (Rough in the Saddle, #1)
  • A Volatile Range (Range, #6)
  • Worth the Coming Home (Love's Value, #1)
  • My Cowboy Homecoming (The Cowboys, #3)
  • Inherit the Sky (Lang Downs, #1)
  • Jess's Journey (Whispering Pines Ranch, #5)
  • By Chance (Courtland Chronicles, #1)
  • Lazy Valentines
  • Honky Tonk (Honky Tonk, #1)
  • Swept Away
  • Bound by Law (Men of Honor, #2)
  • Papa's Boy (Morning Report, #3)
  • The Cowboy Poet
Alternate name for Laura Harner.

Raised in California, Laura likes it hot, which explains why she ended up in Arizona via such diverse places as Japan, Maine, and Florida, and many more places in between. After retiring from the US Navy, she found a niche working for land management agencies, including the National Park Service and the Bureau of Land Management. Though she has held many jobs around
More about L.E. Harner...

Willow Springs Ranch (8 books)
  • Hold Tight (Willow Springs Ranch, #2)
  • Taking Chance (Willow Springs Ranch, #3)
  • Hanging Chad (Willow Springs Ranch #4)
  • Park's Lot (Willow Springs Ranch #5)
  • Whit's End (Willow Springs Ranch #6)
  • Cliff's Edge  (Willow Springs Ranch, #7)
  • Save a Hoss (Willow Springs Ranch Book 9)