Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1)

Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  8,557 ratings  ·  1,486 reviews
It isn't easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One ni...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Harcourt Children's Books (first published January 1st 2012)

The Selection by Kiera CassClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareEntwined by Heather DixonEverneath by Brodi AshtonRapture by Lauren Kate
Best Girl in a Dress Cover of 2012
14th out of 402 books — 1,492 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
163rd out of 2,497 books — 15,907 voters

More lists with this book...

Hira
Jan 24, 2012 Hira marked it as to-be-released
Shelves: ya, fantasy
It'd be kind of funny and tragic if she was named Friday in current times. It's Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday!
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
Before reading this review, please keep 3 things in mind:
1. This is JUST my opinion
2. This is JUST my opinion
3. I've had a lot of caffeine tonight, and THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

Basically, the main word I'd use to describe Enchanted is bizarre. Even before I ultimately decided it wasn't going to get any better and I couldn't care less about the characters, I thought that this was a very bizarre story.

Some fairy-tale retellings are written to sound like extensions of the real story and others are...more
Sam
3.5/4 stars

'She was the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter, and she was anything but normal.'

As soon as I saw that gorgeous cover, I knew I wanted to read this book. Yes, I still sometimes judge a book by its cover, but I can’t help it. When I read the description, I was further enthralled. I hadn’t read a fairy-tale or even thought about a fairy-tale in such a long time, but I was captivated by how nice this story sounded. Compared to the grittier books I have been reading as of late, it se...more
Elevetha
So it wasn't bad. But it wasn't good.

The prose is nice and descriptions are lovely.

First off, Sunday Woodcutter meets a frog in the woods and INSTANTLY decides to tell this frog her life story and all about her family and their troubles. But, as we already knew, the frog is an enchanted prince. As soon as he talks...INSTA!LOVE ensues.

description

Sunday is besotted by this creature of loveliness that listens and seems to care for her. But they can never have more because he is doomed to a life as a frog.

Th...more
Mimi Valentine
Rating: 4.5 beautiful stars out of 5!

Absolutely ADORABLE. Magical. Smile-inducing. And so incredibly sweet! This book is one of the many reasons why I love fairytales and their re-tellings so much!

Enchanted may mention some of my favourite fairytales — from The Princess and the Frog to Cinderella to Jack and the Beanstalk and more! — but it's much more than just a re-telling of them all. Alethea Kontis weaves them perfectly into an original and surprisingly complex story that's her own, adding...more
Hermione
Aug 10, 2012 Hermione rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: idiots. complete, flat-dimensional, stupid insta-loving idiots
Recommended to Hermione by: my idiotic self
Pre-reading: Oh my gosh, it's a frog-turns-prince type of story! Haven't seen you before! Definitely will be reading thissssss~

Post-reading: Uck. 1.5 stars.

I hate giving books one star reviews. I understand that authors work very hard to write a book, but it takes us only a few days to read it. And in those few days, the time after you close the back cover, you can decide whether to give the book a good rating or a bad rating.

Unfortunately, Enchanted from me got a bad rating.

I've never really...more
Kat
Is it my fate that I must read books that get my hopes soaring only to get them dashed on the rocks of bitter disappointment?! Every part of me wanted to like this, and there were some points that I did, though mainly in the beginning. However the further I delved, the greater my confusion, frustration and befuddlement (I am aware befuddlement and confusion mean the same thing. I use both to emphasise the depths of my perplexity) over a story that wasn't really sure what it wanted to be. Was it...more
Tamora Pierce
It's a wonderful mix-up of fairy-tale tropes, a clever love story, and a delightful tale all on its own!
Natalia Ceitidh
Read more of my reviews at Dazzling Reads

"My name is Sunday Woodcutter, and I am doomed to a happy life." (Enchanted, Kontis, 2012, p.1)

Now, Readers are "Doomed" to a Happy Reading ❤

Books like Enchanted are the reason why I started my blog. This book is such a Dazzling Read that I NEED to tell everyone about it. Enchanted is a magical and wondrous story that will make readers forget about reality and transport them far away to a fascinating kingdom and to experience one of the most beautiful an...more
Soumi

The child who was born on Sabbath Day, is blithe and bonny and good and gay

Seventh daughter of a seventh daughter, Sunday Woodcutter is doomed to a happy life. One day she met an enchanted frog Grumble , befriends with him and soon they fall in love . One night kiss of her true love transformed Grumble back into Rumbold, crowned prince of Arilland. Now the prince is desperate to win Sunday’s love for the person he is now, not the frog she fell in love with.

Enchanted is wonderful makeover on “on...more
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
Enchanted is one of those books that tries too hard. I am potentially the biggest sucker for fairy-tale retellings. I have to talk myself out of fairytale stories on a regular basis.

To some extent, this is the retelling of The Frog Prince. The main character Sunday, the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter, meets a talking frog at the fairy well behind her family's house. They become friends first, then quickly she falls in love with the frog. One day she gives him a kiss then goes home. After...more
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
"Blithe and bonny and good and gay? Who could ever live up to that? It's not in any way realistic. I don't want to be happy and good and dull. I want to be interesting."

Sunday Woodcutter is the seventh daughter in her family, and everything she writes down in her journal has a mysterious way of coming true. When she meets and befriends Grumble the frog near her house she has no idea that he is actually Rumbold, the crown prince under the effects of a curse!
When they begin to fall in love, and Ru...more
Valerie
Enchanted taps on a lot of fairy tales from the dancing princesses, jack in the bean stalk, cinderella of course, princess and the pea, to sleeping beauty. I might've actually missed some becuase I wasn't looking for them.

Sunday is the seventh daughter of a the seventh daughter. It's good that the sisters were named one after the other by days of the week starting with Monday; even though Sunday is the real start of the week. Every once in a while a sister is mentioned I don't remember the age o...more
E
Also Found On: A Book and A Record

Enchanted was, quite honestly the book I’ve been searching for. Lately my reading life has been a little bit “blah” as in no book sounds remotely good. Because of this I’ve been a little weary to pick anything new up, and have instead reverted back to oldie but goodie books that I can read over and over again. Luckily I stumbled upon Enchanted.

Enchanted is fairy-tale at its finest. Honestly, this would definitely have done any one of those Grimm Brother’s proud....more
Samantha
I just finished this book and I really enjoyed it! Once the book started I couldn't put it down and I fell in love with all the characters. It's a little hard keeping track of all the sisters, but the book helps you out by assigning different traits to them all. Of course the prince is dreamy, and Sunday is beautiful but this book had way more than just a story of romance about those two. It also referenced a lot of different fairy tales which made it fun to read.The only problem I had with the...more
Elle
I saw this book while browsing through the kindle store and thought it looked good. I bought it and started reading immediately. The book was so good that I didn't put it down for 2 and 1/2 hours, at which point I had finished. This book was based off of the poem Monday's child. I loved that poem when I was little as much as I loved this book. This book also had a mash up of the fairy tales Jack & the Beanstalk, Cinderella, and The Princess and the Frog. If you enjoy well written fairy tale...more
Inspired Kathy

Inspired-kathys-reviews

I love both fairy tale retellings and twisted fairy tales so this one was right up my alley. I think my favorite thing about this story was the sheer amount of fairy tales that the author referenced or tied into the story line. I thought this would be a simple retelling for The Princess and the Frog but there ended up being more depth to the story. The characters lives are all woven together and honestly it was a little confusing at times but by the end of the book I was satisfied and am lookin...more
Paradoxical
At once charming and hopelessly muddled, Enchanted takes old tales and tries to breath new life into them. Too bad that the story lines run into one another and you don't end up feeling anything other than "well, finally" at the end of the story.

The main character, Sunday, is the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter/son (which, you know, in fairy tales means powerful things). She's a passable main character, but completely fails to be anything more than that. She's rather boring, actually, es...more
Bayla
A whole mess of fairy tales and fairy-tale themes -- that sounds like so much fun, right? Well, in theory, yes. In practice - well, sort of.

First of all, the plot was pretty unbelievable. Not to mention confusing. There's the fact that Sunday falls in love with a frog (and he with her)in less than three days. I mean, falling in love in three days is one thing that we can argue about, but with a frog? That's just kind of creepy. And gross, if you ask me. Also the fact that when he disappears (af...more
Dana JH
Enchanted was truly amazing. I love fairy tales, and this one was no exception... I feel like there aren't a lot of this genre out there... So it just makes me more glad when I find one that love. Unlike most fairytale retelling, this one followed no particular tale. Instead it companies parts of hundreds of stories into one, from the frog prince, to jack in the beanstalk, to the princess and the pea. Even if you went really that into fairy tales as a kid I guarantee there is something that you...more
Barry Simiana
Jul 11, 2012 Barry Simiana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: veryone who loves a little magic, a little adventure, some good ol fashioned fun.
I was given this book with the simple instruction to " Read it, you pillock and you will love it!" Now, I'm a big boofy type bloke, I like cars and guns and blowing stuff up. But there is a more serious, less bombastic, destructive side to me. Foe example, I happen to love the book, the screenplay and the movie THE PRINCESS BRIDE, oft spoken of as the most perfect screenplay ever written.

Now there's ENCHANTED.

Seventh daughter of seventh daughter, Sunday Woodcutter is in for a wild rode. When you...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I am breaking one of my own rules here. I'm giving this book 4 stars even though it's really not a book that greatly touches me personally. I like it but in reality it's a bit more romantic than I can get "rolled up in".

But...it's exceptionally well written. I think most will enjoy this. You get high adventure, great story telling, appealing characters...some fun twists on fairy tales.

Using the "Monday's Child poem" as a spring boars the story goes about touching on numerous fairy tales and nurs...more
Kami
- A lot of Fairy Tales make an appearance in this book. The ones that are prominent are The Princess and the Frog, Cinderella, and Jack and the Beanstalk. Crazy Awesome!

- I loved all the characters. Sunday is a really sweet and lovely character. I really enjoyed Saturday. She is a girl after my own heart. Erik, Velius, and Trix are great sub characters that bring a lot of humor and loyalty to the story.

- There is a bit of a mystery in the book. I kept trying to piece together a lot of things to...more
Isa Lavinia
I was really excited for this book because the description seemed so cute. It had so many problems, though...

I can excuse the insta-love, since this is a fairytale retelling, but that doesn't make it any less dissatisfying.
Sunday, the main character, is bonny and good, etc. But basically that's all she is, any of her sisters was a more interesting character than Sunday. The prince was a bit more interesting, but not by much.
While the writing was ok, the plot just tried to do too much. The main...more
Kitti Mcconnell
Dec 02, 2011 Kitti Mcconnell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any fantasist
I'm normally a slow reader, it will take me at least a week if not two to finish a book, and that's if I dedicate most of my free time to it.

I finished Enchanted in 2 days. I devoted a lot more than just my free time to it.

It's fun, it's heart-wrenching, it's clever, it's fascinating. If I were a better writer, at this point you would be running to a store (or clicking madly) to reserve a copy. So, thank me later and go reserve your copy immediately.

Jodi Meadows
This book and I are going to be together forever. FOREVER.

AND EVER.

(In case that isn't clear: I loved this book.)
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
may 8

Awww, sounds cute.
Justin
Enchanting is absolutely stunning. I am honestly having a hard time trying to figure out where to begin with this review. The first thing I thought when finishing this book, was how much it compared to all of those amazing Fairy Tales we have heard as young children. Stories full of magic and adventure. Stories full of sadness and happiness, people overcoming hardships to gain a better life for themselves. Enchanted has all of that, it's one of those magical stories that can really pull you in a...more
Lamia
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Warning: clumsy review ahead.

I don't usually like books revolving around fairy tales. There's just something about them that I find... Lacking. I'm not sure if it's the whimsical atmosphere, the lack of realism (I am annoyingly picky about that) or the usually very quick time-frame but I've always found myself severely underwhelmed by YA fairy tale retellings.

This was not the case here.

Despite the obvious differences with a regular story, Kontis managed to make me like so...more
Elena
Oh, Alethea Kontis. When I read "Sunday," the short story on which this novel is based, I was charmed. It was a lighthearted fairytale that didn't pretend to be weightier than it was, and it was just a really fun story.

However, the light, charming short story should never have become a novel. This story feels like it struggled to become a book. The plotline was disjointed and drawn out, and there were so many threads that never seemed to really connect, or didn't connect in a way that was emotio...more
No Obligation Boo...: March Teen Book Discussion 1 5 Mar 12, 2014 11:33AM
Teen Critic: Enchanted by Alethea Kontis----->Start Date February 16 1 7 Feb 01, 2014 05:10PM
Friends with Books: Enchanted 1 13 Sep 23, 2012 08:49AM
  • The Sweetest Spell
  • Dragonswood
  • Princess of the Wild Swans
  • Kill Me Softly
  • Curse of the Thirteenth Fey: The True Tale of Sleeping Beauty
  • The Treachery of Beautiful Things
  • Princess of the Silver Woods (Princess, #3)
  • A White So Red
  • Thornspell
  • Into the Wild (Into the Wild, #1)
  • Fathomless (Fairytale Retellings, #3)
  • Reincarnate, Beloved
  • Beauty and the Beast (Faerie Tale Collection, #1)
  • Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem
  • Winter's Child (Once Upon A Time Fairytales)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • When the Sea Is Rising Red (Hobverse #1)
  • The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2)
"Alethea Kontis IS fairy tales." --Jim C. Hines, author of Libriomancer

"Alethea Kontis: Awesome, racks up award nominations, wears tiaras." --SF author Ferrett Steinmetz

"I want to live in [Alethea's] head because I think that might be the most interesting place in the world!!!!" --Ellen Oh, author of Prophecy

"Alethea Kontis, the woman who writes like Shakespeare would if he were alive today." --Aa...more
More about Alethea Kontis...
Hero (Woodcutter Sisters #2) AlphaOops!: The Day Z Went First AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween The Wonderland Alphabet: Alice's Adventures Through the ABCs and What She Found Ther Dearest (Woodcutter Sisters, #3)

“If you did not indulge in fantasies, how else would you know if you were living an interesting life?” 56 likes
“Sometimes 'Hmm' is the wisest thing to say.” 45 likes