Start by marking “The Nosferatu Scroll (Chris Bronson, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Nosferatu Scroll (Chris Bronson, #4)

The Nosferatu Scroll (Chris Bronson #4)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  506 ratings  ·  68 reviews
BOHEMIA, 1741

On the northern banks of the Vltava River, an extraordinary event is taking place. Inside a private chapel, a high-born Hungarian lady is being laid to rest. But not before her heart is removed from her body, and she is buried beneath a layer of heavy stones - lest she rise again to prey upon her victims ...

VENICE, 2010

Holidaying in the world's most beautiful
Published November 24th 2011 by Bantam (first published June 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Nosferatu Scroll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nosferatu Scroll

Jason
Apr 08, 2012 Jason rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dan Brown victims
Recommended to Jason by: Insomnia
It's easy to be scathing about these kinds of books. As an Indie publisher, I like to keep up with what's 'hot' in the mass-market bestsellers, so every now and then I swipe randomly at the Top 10 case in the station, or on the ferry, to receive the litmus fix.

#4 of a series, apparently, by Becker, the jacket blurb was enough to show where the story would lead well before its almost 500-page block was exhausted. I therefore held no high literary expectations, anticipating the generic 'historica
V.E. Lynne
Chris Bronson and Angela Lewis, divorced but back together, are enjoying a relaxing, romantic trip to Venice but their good time soon turns sour when they discover a diary, written in Latin, hidden in the tomb of a supposed vampire. Angela, an archaeologist, is kidnapped by a cult dedicated to the bloodline of the Princess Eleanora, the so-called 'Vampire Princess', and forced to translate the document. Several young women have been raped and killed by this group and Chris Bronson, himself a pol ...more
Jim Gunnee
This was a really difficult decision giving 2 starts.

It's the only James Becker I've read, so maybe I'm missing something of the characters, but they don't seem well developed to me.

There are lots of reviews on Amazon and elsewhere that unfairly criticise the book - I don't have any problem with the plot or the content - I think my main problem is threefold:

1) It's too long. There is no need for this book to be more than 300 pages. Which leads me to...
2) IMHO it needed another edit. Either by Be
Kate Neilan
Bohemia, 1741On the northern banks of the Vltava River an extraordinary event is taking place. Inside a private chapel a high-born Hungarian lady is being laid to rest. But not before her heart is removed from her body and she is buried beneath a layer of heavy stones - lest she rise again to prey upon her victims...
Venice, 2010
Holidaying in the world’s most beautiful city, Chris Bronson and Angela Lewis discover a desecrated tomb. Inside it is a female skeleton and a diary dating back hundreds
Jodi
When British cop Chris Bronson and his ex-wife take a week's vacation to Venice he wasn't expecting a busman's holiday. Neither was he expecting vampires. In fact, it takes serious suspension of disbelief, on his part and ours, to expect them now but when Angela, his ex-wfe, is kidnapped by the serial killer, Chris refuses to rule out any possibility. Graeme Malcolm's cultured European accent doesn't romanticize the vampires but it does serve to romanticize Europe which helps because the story i ...more
Debbie Bennett
I'm sure I've read other books by this author and they were more original. This just seemed like a rehash of every other novel of this type with nothing fresh or different about it. Pedestrian writing and a cliched plot and I'm not sure why I bothered.

And the deus ex machina twist? What a let down. (view spoiler)
John Hanscom
Another book I picked up as I had nothing else to read. What a stupid book and waste of paper. First of all, though it said nowhere on the title, or outer or inner description, it was about vampires. I am so bloody sick of vampires. Since "Twilight," every third book is about vampires. Secondly, vampires aside, some of the events were absolutely unbelievable and did not make sense, even in context. Third, the ending was a "deus ex machina," and I hagte that. Finally, the disposition of the vampi ...more
Jeremy
I devoured this book in a little over a week. This either tells you that it is a great book which I couldn't put down or that I had too much time on my hands. A bit of both I think and a 3 hour train journey also helps. It also helps that James Becker writes in a very formulaic style with short “chapters” and cliff hanging last paragraphs and carrying 2 or 3 story lines in alternate “chapters “ (Terry Pratchett does the same). Some may dismiss this book on that basis as a good beach read and lit ...more
Ivonne
Entertaining book. It has nothing to do with the Nosferatu we all know except by the dark and mysterious evil character that's behind the disappearance of the girls in Venice.
Now, Venice, serves right and greatly to the purposes of this story, adding to that the wonderfully accurate descriptions of the place. It is a book you can read if you want nice suspense with a hint of supernatural. No cheesy romance o it, which is a total plus.
Winnie
This must be my favourite Chris Bronson novel to date. Vampires are a popular subject at the moment - Trueblood, Vampire Diaries, Twilight to mention just a few but this story manages to take a fresh approach to the vampire legend. Chris Bronson is in the ultimate race against time to save the day in this tense, exciting adventure.
Rosie Amber
The book opens with a scene set in 1741. The burial of Princess Eleonora Amalia Magdalena of Lobkowicz. A Princess of the Schwarzenberg family, but one who received no royal funeral and no family in attendance.

Next we jump to the present day, Chris Bronson and his ex-wife are on holiday in Venice. They are witnesses to a broken grave, on the day of the Festival of the Dead. They find an old diary in the broken grave of Carmelita Paganini and a strange burial sight.

The police in Venice are under
Abbie Ennis
Mr. Becker has brought Christmas early! This book is so far his best and has left me wanting more. The incorperation of vampires and crime in this novel can satisfy all.

Bronson and Lewis are unable to have a quiet holiday and end up racing through Venice chasing men who after the gift of immortality.

A truly gripping read!
Neil
Despite this book being a step away from the normal format of searching for religious artefacts, the author has still put in plenty of research into the subject. My only concern is that at times it did read a little like a travellogue for Venice. After deciding on a short break to Venice the main characters are soon drawn into the thick of things. There are graves being desecrated and robbed, young women are going missing, dead bodies are turning up and all against the backdrop of Vampires. Read ...more
Matt
Becker continues to create great summer reading novels and this one is, by my account, one of the most interesting pieces he's published. Moving away from the religious relic domain, Becker takes a look at the underground world of the paranormal and vampires. He does so in a classy way, still filling the book with historical fact and keeping the cheesy organ music at bay. Moving the book to Italy this time, Becker brings the story to life with a great deal of action, a little romance, and a cont ...more
Stuart
So, this is Mr Becker’s fourth novel of its type with policeman Chris Bronson as focal point and protagonist? I didn’t know this when I picked it up from the shelf in a well known supermarket simply for its ornate and decorative (although also slightly tawdry) cover. The back of the book contains a brief synopsis that mentions Bohemia in 1741, the desecration of the corpse of an aristocratic female, Venice in the modern day and an adventure centred on graveyards and the death of more young women ...more
Pat Sul
i have only read the one dan brown book: the da vinci code. it was an ok page turner that crammed a lot into its pages with a straight forward no frills style of writing. a style of writing that was neither good nor bad, just indifferent.

for some odd reason i have become a bit of a fan of the dan brown knock off book. you koow the thing: a recently uncovered secret could spell doom and disaster if revealed/ covered up our heroes must fight to protect/ announce the secret.
one of the things that
Kristopher Mason
First and foremost, I think I should say that I bought this book based solely on the cover because I thought it looked amazing and it was in a discount bookstore. Originally I thought it was going to sit on my shelf unread, however I'm glad I decided to pick it up.

As far as $5 books go this knocked it out of the park. To me this book felt similar to a Dan Brown novel, but better written, not as repetitive but with surprisingly graphic accounts of violence.
The characters felt well rounded, relata
Rick
The Nosferatu Scroll is the fourth book by James Becker to have Chris Bronson, ex-Army Officer and Metropolitan policeman, as the central character. How this book compares with the others featuring Bronson, I cannot comment having not read them.

The story is based almost entirely in Venice and is a combination of history, thriller and the supernatural. Bronson is holidaying with his ex-wife, Angela, an historian from the British Museum, when they stumble across some bizarre happenings on the Isol
Nick Brett
This is the fourth in James Becker’s Bronson/Lewis stories. Here police officer Bronson and ex-wide Angela Lewis are on holiday in Venice when they stumble on a cult of Vampire followers who are abducting young ladies. Of course, as is required in these kinds of books, the pair do not leave well alone, they get involved and it becomes a race against time before Angela joins the previous victims.

Mr Becker evokes the darker side of Venice very well, here it becomes the dark and brooding place it c
Paul
Feb 19, 2013 Paul rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Paul by: Continuing a series
Like the other books in this series, this weaves a tale in the current day, based on 'facts' derived from history. As he has in the past, author James Becker is somewhat creative in his use of historical 'facts', but he succeeds in making an interesting story of it.

Some of the previous entries in this series might have been seen as attacking Christian faith, Catholicism in particular. Followers might be relieved to see this novel doesn't draw on religion so much. Instead it illustrates the dark
Mieke
I debated between two and three stars because, although I finished it only two days ago, I am struggling to remember anything about the book other than I felt it had a very abrupt ending! "Threats to life and limb, terrifying possible vampire ...aaaaand it is all fine and we're going home!"

Although there is room for a sequel specific to this topic.

The topic was interesting, the setting fun to read about (Venice), and I'll read another Becker before passing final judgment on this series. I find h
Nancy
Not the best book I’ve ever read, but not bad either. I generally don’t do mystery/thrillers. But the vampire bit hooked me in. Sadly, not a whole lot of vampire in this book. Just a shadowy bad guy. It was a little formulaic at times, and the writing waffled between trying to sound smart and very simplistic. Every now and then, the author would throw in a fact about Venice, as if he had pulled it directly from a textbook and was trying to show us what he knows. Those spots didn’t fit with the f ...more
Claudio
wow.... James Becker sarà sicuramente uno degli autori che voglio continuare a leggere e seguire.... È uno bravo, sono riuscito a seguire con passione la storia.... Poi come la Cornwell ci ha messo un po' di Italia dentro e lo apprezzo sempre.... Consiglio di leggerlo perché se è piaciuto a me che non sono propenso alle fantasie come i vampiri, allora le persone a cui piace il genere lo ameranno... Sono rimasto molto contento anche delle ultime pagine perché è il primo autore che descrive (almen ...more
Jacqueline Mahan
A very good book. Well paced and creepy. Some of the dialogue seemed thin in conversations but the Venice setting, the history, the graveyard and the plot made for a story I didn't want to put down. I've picked up another of Becker's novels, The Messiah Secret, because of this one.
Rebecca
Good continuation of this series but not as gripping as previous reads.
Jane Oberheim
I enjoyed this book, quick read and good story.
Sri
I was in the South of Thailand on my 2nd day of my holiday. Picked up this book from the library. It has accompanied my 6 hours lazing by the beach on the sun bench while soaking the magical view. The setting , intrigue and some of the historical references makes this a page turner.

Nothing special really, but if you have few hours to kill and does not need to much strain on your brain, this book is an easy read.

Daniel
I like the way Mr. Becker takes something totally ficticious and gives it a hint of truth. I love Vampire stories because I know they are fake so they don't scare me, but Mr. Becker does have a way of making you think about things. The only thing about this story that I didn't like was the way he dragged out the chase scene in the Venetian lagoons. I found myself skipping pages and I was still in the chase scene
Tommy
Another good read from this author. I liked this book as the author had a new twist on the old vampire legend. Plus it took place in Venice which is not the usual location for a vampire story. One warning to new readers: there are some pretty graphic details describing "religious" ceremonies involving young women. If this offends you, I would not recommend this book.
  • The Genesis Plague
  • The Devil Will Come: A Thriller
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • The Templar Throne (Templar, #3)
  • The Deceit
  • The Secret Crown (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #6)
  • The Mask Of Troy (Jack Howard, #5)
  • The Dead Sea Deception (Leo Tillman & Heather Kennedy, #1)
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • The Illumination
  • The Hidden Oasis
  • The Babylonian Codex
  • On the Fifth Day
  • The Medusa Amulet
James Becker spent over twenty years in the Royal Navy's Fleet Air arm and served during Falklands War . Throughout his career he has been involved in covert operations in many of the world's hotspots; places like Yemen, Northern Ireland and Russia. He is an accomplished combat pistol shot and has an abiding interest in ancient and medieval history.
More about James Becker...

Chris Bronson (6 books)
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • The Moses Stone (Chris Bronson, #2)
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • Echo Of The Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • The Lost Testament
The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1) The Moses Stone (Chris Bronson, #2) The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3) Echo Of The Reich (Chris Bronson, #5) The Lost Testament