Start by marking “The Lady Is Tempted” as Want to Read:
The Lady Is Tempted

The Lady Is Tempted

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  406 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews

USA Today bestselling author Cathy Maxwell delivers another passionate romance wherein marriage is based on convenience not love, and only desire can get in the way.

Published November 14th 2006 by HarperCollins e-books (first published July 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady Is Tempted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady Is Tempted

Elis Madison
It was a dark and stormy night. No, really, it was. Which is how proper, penniless widow Deborah Percival, on the way to help one of her two penniless married sisters, finds herself stranded, one of two guests in the home of an elderly lady.

Her journey came at an opportune time, as she was about to let the bossy and extremely unlikeable "grande dame" in her village boss her into marrying the local vicar—a man she dislikes.

…who has a passel of children everybody dislikes.

The other guest, Anthony
D.G.
I first read this book when it first came out in 2002 and loved it. At the time, I was a beginner to historical romance so I found the whole situation really angsty and heartbreaking. In this second round, not so much. I guess I've read enough historical romance in the last 10 years that I've become more discriminating (some would say pickier.)

Deborah and Tony become lovers the first night they meet and quickly fall in love, but alas their romance is doomed from the beginning. Tony just got enga
Nancy
Nov 23, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
Deborah Percival never knew passion with her late husband. But when she meets Lord Anthony Aldercy at an inn on the way to visit her sister in London, she’s immediately attracted to the rakish earl. Yielding to a night of lust brings her many regrets, so she heads on her way. But Tony isn’t about to let her escape so easily. Smitten by the forthright widow and able to heal in her presence from an unhappy childhood, he tracks her down. Even though he’s engaged to another, he wants more of Deborah ...more
Cheesecake
Deborah and Anthony. The running theme of this one seems to be the folly of trying to live up to other's expectations. Deborah and Anthony have been indiscreet. They both care for each other, but not enough to risk their public image. This is more understandable from Deborah's point of view and I wanted to box Anthony's ears for much of the book. Other characters want to box his ears as well... But he has some learning to do. He does come through later on (of his own volition) and Deborah stands ...more
Haley Osborn
Jul 16, 2016 Haley Osborn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I don't usually enjoy the love at first sight idea, Deb and Tony's story is one that I find acceptable. Even when they first meet and the connection is immediately established that is not the end to their growth as a couple, as is so often the case with love at first sight stories. Even while coming from different situations the two are very much kindred spirits through their difficult background that caused them to be almost overly responsible. That sense of responsibility is what causes ...more
Trudy Miner
Nov 10, 2013 Trudy Miner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young widow Deborah Percival is trapped in a village where her life is controlled by a group of biddies who have determined that she should marry the parson with six uncontrollable children! Never; she has done her duty by marrying a man older than her father. When the chance comes for her to escape to London to help her sister, Deborah takes it. It's then that Fate steps in and traps her in Derby at the home of a widow to wait out a heavy rainstorm. There she meets the irresistible Earl of Burn ...more
Olanrewaju Olarinde
great book. the hero and heroine were well written. the plot was great. i have never been a fan of love/sex at first sight but this was written beautifully. Tony's fiancee being in love with someone else and eloping was a bit too convenient, but that scene was funny enough to let it be overlooked. all in all, a great book that i definitely recommend.
Brenda
Aug 20, 2014 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good from the beginning. It kept me wanting to read more and I was kind of sad when the story was over, as I wanted to read on and see what their lives were like...
Rogetwhi
May 21, 2015 Rogetwhi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars!!!
Alegna
Temptation is often not followed through in society, but Cathy Maxwell shows us how sometimes by following it can truly lead us to something so much better! A young widow wishing to marry for love and an earl engaged for power, these two meet and fall at first lust for each other. But as the days (and nights) pass by, their lust turns into something greater and more fruitful. Romance, love and just enough spunk to make you cheer for this couple to make it through.
Donna Jo Atwood
Mar 17, 2009 Donna Jo Atwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Well, what a choice--marry a vicar with six undisciplned children, or go for the dashing young, good-looking, wealthy earl (even if he is engaged to someone else and has a brooding secret besides).
May 09, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like this as much as I liked Cathy Maxwell's other books. Mainly because the earl is supposedly betrothed to another, but he's unable to recognize that the attraction he has for Deborah is true love.
Lindsay
Jul 15, 2008 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just don't buy the love-at-first-sight thing, so books based on that premise will always seem particularly contrived to me. I liked the elopement scene a lot, though.
Belinda

I enjoyed this. A quick read with a predictable ending and no surprises, but enjoyable all the same.
Stephanie
The Earl's refusal to back out of his stupidly made engagement gets pretty tiresome very quickly.
Wlfgrl
Oct 21, 2010 Wlfgrl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book you are nevertold to love
Angela
Norma
Norma added it
Jul 15, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Sandi
Sandi added it
Jul 05, 2016
Mr. Shawn Delaney
Mr. Shawn Delaney rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Chitradurga Banerjee
Chitradurga Banerjee marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
adam
adam rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Jennifer Crampton
Jennifer Crampton rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Malak
Malak rated it did not like it
Jun 11, 2016
  • One With the Shadows (Companion, #5)
  • Lady Anne’s Lover
  • A Dangerous Beauty (Widows Club, #1)
  • Her Outlaw (Bad Luck Brides, #7)
  • The Devil's Necklace (Necklace Trilogy, #2)
  • How To Be A Scottish Mistress
  • A Song at Twilight (A Song at Twilight, #1)
  • Scandalous Again (Switching Places, #1)
  • Rakes and Rogues
  • The Inheritance
  • A Visit From Sir Nicholas (Effingtons, #9)
  • When Seducing a Duke (Victorian Soap Opera, #1)
  • In Praise of Younger Men (Three Heroes #1; Company of Rogues, #6)
  • The Tea Planter's Bride
  • The Perfect Mistress (Mistress, #2)
  • Lady of Conquest (Brides of Legend #2)
  • The Devilish Pleasures of a Duke (Boscastle, #6)
  • Kingdom Of Moonlight (Akora, #2)
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell...

“With a glance over her shoulder to ensure no one saw them, she charged up the stairs. Mr. Aldercy fell into step behind her, and they hurried like schoolchildren afraid of being caught in a prank.
However, at the top of the stairs, games stopped. He whisked her up the last step, twirled her around until her back was against the wall, and kissed her.”
1 likes